200 207676 Dec 4, 2009

Page:  10 · 11 · 12 · 13  next

bankroll

Registered: Feb 7, 2004
Review Date: Oct 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Too many, haha. Instant on, low noise, focusing system, build quality/construction, image quality, write speed, etc. etc.
Cons:
I wish the RAW shot buffer was at least the same as on the 10D. Some people experiencing lockup problems or dead cameras after trying to update the firmware.

Wow. Going from a Digital Rebel to the 20D has been an incredible experience. Paired with the grip it has been a dream to use. I'd recommend this body to anyone who wants the absolute best camera without stepping into the 1-series arena.

Note that I have had no lockup or firmware issues with the camera (have upgraded to firmware 1.0.4 as of this writing).

Oct 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bankroll to your Buddy List
TwoBoy

Registered: Jan 10, 2004
Review Date: Oct 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build quality, new features, new AF System etc etc. Shows a great deal of promise.
Cons:
None so far except that Canon should not have released them without releasing the necessary extras such as battery grips at the same time. Forcing us to buy the "el cheapo" EF-S 18~55 lens by only having kits does not endear them to us and surely they could have got the right software released from scratch - They must have done some testing?

This camera is all it says it is. I have been using my 10D for well over a year now and the 10D has been a brilliant camera and workhorse par excellence. I now add the 20D to my bag and have the following comments on it.

Granted, the 8mp 20D should be a lot better than 6mp 10D but results using the same L lenses show this to be only slightly better (I have a very good 10D body - compared to some others I have heard of).

In all the time I've had it the 10D has never ever given me any grief. I have dragged it around 13 countries bouncing about in a 4x4. My 20D has locked up a 7 times already which necessitates the battery being removed and the whole thing restarted - the 10D never did this but the latest 20D software - Ver 1.0.5 - has fixed that but it should have been right from the start. The latest software Ver 1.1.0 brings everything up to scratch.

The 20D feels very badly balanced with heavy L lenses without a battery grip. I now have the BG-E2 and what a difference it makes - the camera now has a perfect feel to it. I personally believe that with a bit more weight with the battery grip attached all people with big hands will benefit from this addition. Canon could have made the 20D and the 10D the same size - that way the grips could have been interchangeable.

Of interest to South African buyers:
A very big point to make - as regards extra system components Canon South Africa are lousy and Canon Europe are to blame! As of now it is still impossible to buy the 20D body only! I suppose people loyal to the brand must pay for "cheapo el crappo" 18~55 kit lenses to prove this point. BUT, VERY MUCH TO THE SOUTH AFRICAN OFFICES CREDIT - YOU CAN WALK IN TO THE SERVICE CENTRE HERE AND GET IMMEDIATE AND EXCELLENT HELP. GREAT STUFF.

The camera deserves its top rating. All features claimed work and control is easier than the 10D. I believe the new focusing system is better and start-up time is great. The toggle switch is a big improvement, AF seems faster, the smaller size and less weight will suit many people, low noise is a feature, and I believe basic in camera settings are improved.

Would I buy again - YES, DEFINITELY - rating 4.75/5.

Updated: 21/10/2004, 4/11, 7/11, 11/11, 18/11, 28/11, 5/12, 30/12

Oct 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TwoBoy to your Buddy List
Peter_Hartland

Registered: May 12, 2004
Review Date: Oct 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Love the faster startup, Low light esp for macro work, better battery life,Picture quality, noise, Higher pop-up flash
Cons:
Battery Grip problem/lock up, Still no Spot Meter, Load Shutter, 95% View Finder & no ISO in view Finder

Besides the Lock up the rest existed on my 10D, Would I swop back No Way Using this camera on the Autum Fugi trail the low level shots & flash fill have produced some great shots. find it needs a bout 1/3 stop adjustment agian. Has done every thing asked of it so far with ease. Cant justify to myself the extra for the Mk II just for a spot meter as to me thats the only real advange. The speed handled the F3000 shots .
Can recommend it to all

Oct 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter_Hartland to your Buddy List
gregau

Registered: Nov 6, 2003
Review Date: Oct 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very fast and accurate autofocus, ETTL-2 much improved. Very fast CF write speed. Small and light. Excellent image quality. Excellent high ISO performance. A very potent package in a small and affordable package. Responsiveness and handling in EOS-3 league.
Cons:
Very few. Joystick control can be a little difficult to get used to (although this can be modified in Custom Functions). A larger viewfinder would be nice, although the 20D is OK.

Compared with the 10D, this DSLR is a revelation. It really breaks new ground in 2 areas :-
(1) Price / performance - this camera really does impress. It has very fast autofocus, very fast shutter, a big buffer, fast write times, instantaneous "on" and excellent image quality. The servo focus works just great. I thought I'd miss 45 point AF, but this new 9 point system really shines. The build quality is great. ETTL-2 is much better than my previous 10D.
(2) Performance / size - I'm glad that I don't have to have so much weight around my neck or in my camera bag to get the kind of performance I like. Also, it's good not having to be so grossly conspicuous with a large body.
As a sidenote...
The 1.6X market is looking very exciting nowadays. Now we have a great body in the 20D, there really looks to be some great lenses coming out from Canon and other 3rd party manufacturers to take advantage of the APS-C frame size.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gregau to your Buddy List
glideslope

Registered: Mar 15, 2004
Review Date: Oct 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb low light AF, bandwidth, B&W Mode, build quality, E-TTL 2, ISO 800/1600 performance. LCD image quality, improved WB, improved in-camera adjustments.
Cons:
Larger RAW buffer.

This camera is an improvement over my 10D in every way. The most pleasing to me are the improved AF performance, especially low light. The ISO performance while no substitute for fast glass allows me to use my f4 glass in ways I never have. I have had no problems with mine in the 14 days I have used it. I have over 1,500 shots on it. I hope Canon helps those with issues.

Absolutely 100% recommended. One heck of a value. More DSLR than most people will ever use.

Oct 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add glideslope to your Buddy List
tdarnall

Registered: Aug 13, 2003
Review Date: Oct 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,995.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Relatively light weight (vs. 1D/1Ds), responsive/fast, very low image noise at moderately high ISO settings, 8 MP resolution, good build quality, multiplier factor for telephoto work, EFS lens compatibility, fast autofocus, excellent battery life, improved flash height vs 10D, new EFS IS zoom (zoom range, IS, decent quality).
Cons:
Multiplier not ideal for existing normal/WA lenses; had lock-up problem with 1.0.2 firmware (updated now); smaller/dimmer viewfinder compared with 1D/1Ds, no interchangeable focusing screens, build quality on battery grip; 17-85 EFS IS lens is a bit pricey for its quality compared with 17-40L; 20D body shape/size not ideal for me (I like the light weight, but if I could choose, I'd prefer a body style more on par with an EOS A2 or EOS-3...clearly a subjective thing).

I bought this as an upgrade to my 10D, but also to hold me over now that I've sold my 1Ds, and before I purchase a 1Ds Mark II (or the new Mamiya, perhaps). I've tried more compact, non-interchangable SLR-type models for lightweight uses (e.g., Minolta A2), but I've not been happy with the noise at higher ISOs, or with the EVF viewing systems. So, I was happy to see the new 20D with the 17-85 EFS IS lens, and I'm impressed with its performance when stopped down a few clicks. I wish the camera had an anti-shake feature on the sensor (like Minolta). If Canon could do this with a new DSLR, it would be a huge step forward. All of this said, I would recommend this camera without reservation to a friend; the EOS 20D is an excellent value, considering the alternatives on the market today.

Oct 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tdarnall to your Buddy List
DavidWEGS

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Oct 3, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Much closer to the 1D MkII than I expected. I now have three and no longer use the 1D2 (no need for what I do). Fast; response, AF, focus point selection, write speed and Iso performance. Decent FPS. Exceptionally light compared to the 1D2/1Ds. Battery use is great too.
Cons:
Multiple lockups. No ISO in the viewfinder.

Hope to get a firmware update soon, but I will be keeping them all regardless.

I am very pleased to have these for weddings and events. Anyone needing to shoot such should seriously consider this camera.

Oct 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidWEGS to your Buddy List
harveyc

Registered: Sep 25, 2003
Review Date: Sep 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,453.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: High ISO performance, fast speed in start-up and AF, joystick control of sensor being used, ETTL-2, nice size for travel.
Cons:
No ISO setting in viewfinder, came with a filthy sensor (30-40 spots!)

Coming from a Digital Rebel, this camera is a charm. I hate reading manuals and found the controls pretty intuititive. No lock-ups (yet) for me and the new firmware due out tomorrow should take care of that. Enough else has been said above. Just wish Canon was more careful in keeping the sensor clean. That's unacceptable.

Sep 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add harveyc to your Buddy List
traveler

Registered: Jan 8, 2002
Review Date: Sep 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast accurate autofocus. Excellent color accuracy. Nice focus screen to manually focus on. Improved LCD exposure accuracy. Great battery life. No more blown highlights. Stunning exposure and ETTL-II accuracy and consistency. Kit 18-55 EF-S lens not a bad lightweight lens stopped down....
Cons:
Would have been nice to have the same LCD that the 1DMK-II has but than I guess you can't expect that for the money.

Coming from a 1D and 10D I feel this body is indeed squarely in between the two. While the 20D may fall a little short of the blinding shooting speed and focus accuracy and choices of the 1 Series, it's a darn sight past the blown highlights, slow and innacurate low light autofocus, off colors, poor viewfinder screen and idiosyncratic exposure and flash exposures of the 10D. I consider this a MAJOR step forward. Some sell it short, but one afternoon of shooting with the 20D and I"m more convinced it is a "Baby 1 Series" with more in common with it than that of the previous generations that brought this 20D to life. It is as if they took all the weaknesses of the previous generation and finally answered the issues and solved them bringing it more into line as a backup to a 1 Series camera or simply a great body for weddings, product and macro photography and good all around action shooter. For the price it simply can't be beat IMHO. When they get the sporadic lockup issues under control with a firmware update I think it will leave those waiting to adopt it no reason to wait.....

Sep 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add traveler to your Buddy List
dave chilvers

Registered: Jan 11, 2002
Review Date: Sep 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast write times,instant start up, exposure as good as it gets (IMHO) High iso settings are now usuable.AF very fast and positive. decent monitor ,very easy menu and all controls fall easily to hand.
Cons:
I`m thinking! Still thinking:-)

You might have guessed I like this camera a lot. I got the grip and put the hand strap from my D60 onto it and it made a good camera better. It just feels right in my hands and that will always make for better images.
I wouldn`t say that the viewfinder is much darker than usual but it does make one hell of easy manual focussing. Battery power just goes on and on. I like the two position power switch where the second position turns on the thumbwheel if needed. One of the main things that impressed me was the speed with which it writes to the microdrive. I can now use this camera indoors at 1600asa without a tripod and have some great candids of our pets.In fact, I`m not carting my tripod around with the 20D because of the lack of noise at the higher ratings. I have a D60( very good camera) and a 1Ds and the out of the camera raw images are better than both. This will be my main pick up and go camera( it`s just so easy and enjoyable to use)

Sep 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dave chilvers to your Buddy List
phili1

Registered: Dec 12, 2003
Review Date: Sep 28, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast Focus - Good balance - Easy to use - Simplfied adjustments controls - Easy Review and Erase - 9 Point focus & Joy stick - AL fous and servo works better then my EOS system.
Cons:
Loud Mirror but like my old film NIkons.

When I bought this Camera all I had was my Sigma lenses and every picture I took was a complete blur. The Salesmen at B & H told me Canons are not known for sharpness. He did not know what he was talking about. If I listened to him I would have sent it back. I can't say enough about this Camera and I owned in the past a Hasselbld.

I put the Tamron 28 to 75 2.8 lens on and wow every photograph I take is awsome.

I did my own none tech test to see how it would stand up to 800 ISO and to see how parameters work, what difference.

Parameter 1 adjust saturation,sharpness & contrast automatically, Parameter 2 neutral and set 1-2-3 you can set your own for shooting situations. I found that parameter 2 is good the way it is and lets me adust in photo shop.

Hope this helps those on the edge of buying. Click next to see the two other parameters

click http://www.pbase.com/phili1/image/34336410

I have heard allot of comments about it's size. It's bigger then the Eos Elan system, same size as the Eos 7 and smaller then the 1Ds, but everything is smaller then the big guns.The balance and hand grip is better then anything I owned beforeee.

Buy It - But It you will love it.

Sep 28, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phili1 to your Buddy List
craig360

Registered: Sep 19, 2003
Review Date: Sep 28, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small size, instant start-up, 5 FPS, 8 mg sensor, increased buffer, rigid build
Cons:
Smaller RAW buffer...but it doesn't bother me

I love this camera...it reminds me of my former EOS 3 both in responsiveness, build, and general pro level features. I have owned an EOS 3, 7, 50e, D30 and 10D and this is by far the best camera I have owned. While this camera is not perfect for everyone (what camera is) it is for me and I LOVE it. Just added the 17-85 IS EF-S lens and it is great.

Sep 28, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add craig360 to your Buddy List
Zane Yau

Registered: May 30, 2004
Review Date: Sep 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast fast fast!!! Fast AF, selection of AF with the joystick (with a bit of practice, may beat eye-control), fast motor, faster review of images, nice image quality, light to carry around. Low noise at hgh ISO; accurate flash exposure.
Cons:
noisy shutter (may scare wildlife etc); CF door bit filmsy; bit too light.

A step from 300D for sure. More solid than the 300D. Feels like a real camera (the 300D feels like a toy). Everything is faster here. Like the AF speed. Fast download time to the computer (I dont have a card reader at the moment) I like to be fast fast, although I still love my old Nikon FM2. No lock up issues - I've been deliberately changing lenses and even with the Kenko extention tubes while the camera is switched on. Also, a big plus was the exposure accuracy of the built-in flash.

check out my gallery if you have a bit of time for images taken with this camera:

www.pbase.com/zaneyau

Sep 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Zane Yau to your Buddy List
Mert

Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Sep 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: If i have to compare aginst my 'old' 10D : Faster AF,good joystick,better battery life,faster start up,bigger&better resolution, much better view finder,more effect's,slightly better iso/noise performance,slightly smaller body size,EFS lens support,much faster re view of the photo's,built quality.
Cons:
Nearly the same boring body design ,small buffer(specially for raw),no spot metering,lock up(only once and i have to remove the battery),no iso in viewfinder,

Overall i am happy with my new EOS 20D.Maybe it's not a 'real' upgrade over a 10D owner but as i said i am a very happy camper Wink it is the best camera in it's class.The price/performance ratio is very good.

Sep 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mert to your Buddy List
bka20d

Registered: Sep 17, 2004
Review Date: Sep 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,599.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast autofocus, expanded wb options, build, joystick , fast start-up, size resolution, brightness of view finder, added filter effects in the parameter menu
Cons:
95% viewfinder coverage, cf door, kit battery charger not compatible with all batteries that can power the camera(as in 511's used in 10d) no 3 degree or narrower spot meter

I've had the camera for nearly two weeks now and it continues to amaze me. i loved/love my 10d, but with this camera i think i've died and gone to heaven! I have had no lock-up problems. I"ve been shooting daily, indoors and out around NY and the image quality is astounding. i am not getting the blown highlights that i got so frequently with the 10d.
while the camera is similar to the 10d and feels familiar, i found it necessary to spend some time going through the manual to really understand this little gem, particularly the auto focusing system, the expanded parameters and the color balancing options

. i initially thought i had a focusing issue, but once i got a handle on the autofocus points, what i thought might be focusing issues disappeared. this camera is a winner!

Sep 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bka20d to your Buddy List
Nchakos

Registered: Sep 23, 2004
Review Date: Sep 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: compared to 10d:faster focus.better low light focus. flash exposure is dead on all the time. less blown out highlights. the color is consistant. I like the adjustable white balance .I push the blue one notch. You can now zoom in in the review and keep the same zoom amount as u scroll through the pictures..very helpfull
Cons:
Its hard to believe that the very slightly smaller size and less weight of the 20d compared to the 10d makes such a huge negative difference.The 20 seems less solid. I hate the smaller size ..my hands hurt.gonna have to mount it on a bracket with a grip. or maybe a hand strap will help. promaster flash that worked with 10d, no longer works . with the 20d. The paramater settings are confusing..not happy with any setting yet.The view finder is a tad darker. The lcd seems half the brightness.The 20d seems more contrasty than the 10d.

I need to do something about the smaller size and weight. Feels way to small in my hands. hard to hold. the 10d felt just right. I miss the feel of the 10d ..

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nchakos to your Buddy List