200 207255 Dec 4, 2009

- Advanced Viewing and Printing, Powerful Software
- Compatible with all EF/EF-S Lenses and Many EOS System Accessories

davidmarsh

Registered: Oct 26, 2004
Review Date: Nov 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Nice feel, solid. fast, megapixls
Cons:
no good without an "L" lens or good USM

If you have a 10D already, take our advice forget the 20D. We use a 1DS, 1DMII and 20D, the 20D is no good unless you have a Canon "L" or USM lens. This is due to the slower focusing on the non canon lenses. Trouble is, the Sigma range of lenses is better than the standard Canon range! The 10D is extremely reliable and rugged. It may take slightly longer to fire up, but once is has we feel it is a better support camera than the 20D. Thus we have sent our 20D back to the supplyer and recently purchased some new 10D's.

Nov 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add davidmarsh to your Buddy List
CHIA

Registered: Mar 31, 2004
Review Date: Nov 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and accurate focus, super clean high ISO images, takes advantage of high speed cards, 5 fps, joystick controller, instant on, instant review, higher flash.
Cons:
No ISO in viewfinder, lower quality battery grip (than 10D)

Moved from Drebel to a 10D to a 20D in about 7 months....this stems for a love of gadgets, and a love for photography.

Each of these steps was well worth it, but the step from the Drebel to the 10D was a larger one than 10D to 20D. I'd say that for twice the price of a used 10D, the 20D does not really offer greater value, unless you are a sport-shooter, or require this camera to generate $$$.

That said, there are some fantastic features on this new camera that made the jump up 100% worthwhile. The cleaner high ISO images are by far, the single nicest feature/benefit for me. I would rather bump up the ISO, than use a flash if possible...this camera makes it work more times than not. Much better than my previous 10D.

The focus is much faster and accurate than my 10D as well....very nice for a father of 3 yr old twins boys, who NEVER sit still!

The instant on, and instant review are also excellent and well used features. I do wish there was a button to magnify the image to full size in one step, rather than pushing that little magnify button a bunch of times.....minor detail.

The camera is simply fantastic to use, and I love it....a day does not go by where I don't take picture with it.

CHIA

Nov 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CHIA to your Buddy List
ChrisMoon

Registered: May 5, 2004
Review Date: Nov 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,499.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Great back-up camera, small, light, similar to 10D. 8mp file in small slr is great for travel. ES-F.
Cons:
The grip does not fit the camera! Also, try putting it at a long exposure (15 seconds) and use the on-camera flash at the same time. The image had very obvious banding! Im sending the camera and the grip back. Loud shutter, smaller buffer than 10D (suprising!), no iso in view finder.

Im hoping to get my hands on one w/o the above problems... if I cant, I hope canon fixes this. My 10D is a tank though, it should be good as a back-up for now.

Nov 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ChrisMoon to your Buddy List
photografic

Registered: Nov 16, 2004
Review Date: Nov 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quick Focus, Rich Color, Sharp Images, Wonderful Flash System
Cons:
AE lock and FEL lock cannot be used independantly

We bought this camera as an upgrade to the D60. We were lucky enough to actually get a couple week old "demo" model from Best Buy for a good discount because they were out of stock.

First impressions of this camera is highly positive. Not a single problem like many others have claimed. The Flash system compared to the D60 is amazing. The D60 (especially with bride/groom vertical shots) left a lot to be desired due to linking the flash to the active focus point. I'm one of those who focuses and recomposes a lot and the 20D works great with this technique. Also the flash system in the D60 would get fooled if you focused on someone's face in a portrait and then recompose with the focus point falling onto the subjects shirt. The 20D nails it EVERY time.

One minor gripe: the AE lock cannot be used independant of the FEL lock. My thinking here, on outdoor portraits I'd like to be able to meter the background and then hit the AE lock, focus on the subject and have the flash pop for a nice fill. However, hitting the AE lock with a 550EX attached pops off the preflash. So, you have to meter the scene in manual, set the exposure, and then take the picture with a fill flash. Like I said, it's a minor gripe and you can't have everything. Maybe I've just missed a technique too.

As an aside, clean the lens contacts periodically and you won't have as many problems with the camera locking up. This goes for the 20D, 10D, D60, D30 and goes all the way back to the early EOS film cameras like the A2/A2E. Electrical contacts whether in cameras or even cordless phone cradles are notorious for an invisible mold to grow on (Yes, mold). Had a camera technician tell me this years and years ago.

Back on subject: Overall this is a great camera. Highly recommend.

Nov 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photografic to your Buddy List
eeilers

Registered: Feb 12, 2004
Review Date: Nov 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great images, good color, easy to use, good auto focus, and drive speed.
Cons:
a bit small in my hands, small viewfinder, no ISO in viewfinder

I love this camera. It has worked flawless for me so far. It is a much better camera than the 10D, but not quite a 1D. I am glad I held out for the 20 rather than get a 10D. The focus speed is much better, and the drive speed will suffice until that day comes when I make money through photos. It seems a little better built than the 10D. I do wish it had a little better weather sealing though, and was a little bigger.
Over all, I love it, and highly recommend it to anyone getting into digital or as a backup for a pro.

Nov 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eeilers to your Buddy List
eeilers

Registered: Feb 12, 2004
Review Date: Nov 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great images, good color, easy to use, good auto focus, and drive speed.
Cons:
a bit small in my hands, small viewfinder, no ISO in viewfinder

JeffG

Registered: Mar 15, 2002
Review Date: Nov 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,449.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Resolution, Focus accuracy and points, write speeds, turn on speed and wake from sleep speed, shutter lag (majorly reduced from all previous cameras)
Cons:
no iso in viewfinder (no canon consumer has ever done this though), no way to lock both control dials, shutter speed as loud as a nikon D100

i've always been a 'shoot everything' type of photog - that is i dont specialize. i do weddings, portraits, landscape and scenic, sports, etc. so far i have only been able to use dslr's for all but landscape because of the lack of fine detail for most foliage, and have not been happy with most portraiture because the lack of detail destroys fine hair.

the 20d although not perfect is a LOT closer to what i expect to see on an 8x10 print. the increased dynamic range is outstanding for most photography and the fine tuning of white balance is a GOD SEND!. the lcd is very very accurate when displaying the overall color balance of your image.

i would still like a larger sensor though, but after being very unimpressed with the quality of image from the 10d vs. my d60 i can finally say the d60 will be hitting ebay very shortly.

Nov 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JeffG to your Buddy List
DonRGB

Registered: Nov 13, 2004
Review Date: Nov 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, smoothness @ hi ISO, ergonomics, response times, 17-40 glass, reasonable price.
Cons:
Clumsy mirror lock-up, limited color space choices, no ISO in finder, no fail-safe on CF door, cheap 18-55 glass - but I'm stretching to call any of these a true weakness. Each has a work-around and all are trivial compared to the outstanding positives.

As a veteran drum-scanning, 4x5 shooter, I doubted I could be satisfied with a paltry 8 MP for serious landscape work. But after waiting in vain for 16 or 22 MPs in a smaller body than the 1Ds, I finally weakened and bought the 20D as my first DSLR, not really expecting to like it.

What can I say? I'm just amazed at the image quality! Dynamic range, smoothness, resolution, color fidelity - these are not just "as good as film", but actually BETTER!

I can even crop (within limits) and still satisfy the demands of an editorial 11x17 spread. This camera is unbelievable in single-shot mode, but with 9 or 16 shots carefully stitched, it actually produces BETTER images than a drum-scanned 4x5 Velvia on a 30 x 40" print!

The amazing (to me) difference between Canon's superb CMOS digital images and oil-drum-scanned film, is the complete lack of significant grain. I'm not just talking about ISO 100, but all the way up to H (3200) I get eminently usable images that simply blow away equivalent-speed film emulsions.

And as far as dynamic range is concerned, I feel like I'm working with a good negative film, rather than the short sensitivity-range of slides.

For best results I import using Photoshop CS's Camera raw function (Canon's software doesn't compare), in 16 bits/channel, 200% magnification, (6144 x 4096 pixels), with careful chromatic aberration adjustments. I then apply my own source profile created from an HCT Velvia transparency target, and convert into my own color space (DonRGB4 - available free on my website.) Finally, I apply my own custom sharpening algorithm to squeeze the most out of every pixel without tell-tale USM halos.

At some stage I will post a complete workflow on my website, but don't hold your breath. And don't be offended if I don't reply to your personal e-mails. I get over 200 a day and can only respond to a few.

Note: I only got the 18-55 because the body-only kit was unavailable. A waste of $100. Buy the excellent EF 17-40 f/4L instead.

Nov 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DonRGB to your Buddy List
mkaplan

Registered: May 12, 2003
Review Date: Nov 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Almost everything. Speed, Accuracy, feel, quality...
Cons:
Canon still did not do some little things that customers would like. An example seeing the ISO in the viewfinder. Not having the CF opening of the CF door stop the writing and loss of any pictures not yet written.

Definitely the best value for the money.
Canon has made improvements over the previous 10D in virtually every aspect of the camera. Speed, weight, size, quality, speed, lenses, price... did I say speed?

- 1st of all, it has 8.2MP instead of the 10Ds 6.3 (30% increase) which either gives you more resolution when printing or more crop room.
- One of the main features over any other camera is itís low noise in higher ISOís. even ISO3200 is now usable and ISO1600 is like the previous 800 or better. Importantly the noise is much more uniform and easier to clean. Bravo Canon!
- The 20D now has an instant on (0.2 second) whereas the 10D took 2.5-3 secs
- The 20D can shoot 5FPS continuous for about 23 frames but that figure is just an estimate. If you use the fastest of CF cards and there is not much in the scene, some have gotten up to 40 shots before the camera stopped for a second or 2 to empty the buffer. In RAW, that is also 5FPS but for only 6 frames. The buffer does empty so fast that you never have to wait mote than a second or two after that to take another shot though.
- New 9 point autofocus points over the 10Ds 7. Working range of -0.5-18EV (10D was+0.5)
- Focus is attained faster and is definitely more accurate than before.
- New center point cross type sensor with lenses with a maximum aperture of at least 2.8.
- Smaller mirror & focusing screen. Most importantly the focus screen is much better for manual focusing for macro shots for example. Much better than before.
- Flash system now uses E-TTLII for greater accuracy than before with on-board flash or any Canon EX series. Flash sync now up to 1/250 instead of 1/200 on previous model with hi-speed sync also available..
- Support for new EF-S lenses as well as the very extensive line of EF lenses.
- New Digic II processor which is more capable and faster than the model it replaces.
- The new Canon 20D is a bit smaller and lighter than its predecessor.
- Top shutter speed of 1/8000 over 1/4000
- New Long Exposure Noise Reduction
- New Menu Hints
- Record Review Histogram now from info button
- Finally added USB 2.0 over the slow USB1.1 of before
- Flash pops up higher for less redeye and better for clearing the lenses
- New multi-controller joystick for AF point selection, WB shift and panning while in play magnification mode

There are even a few more little tidbits (New Grip, Data Verification, CF activity light moved to rear, combined power & quick control dial, flush connector cover, updated menuÖ.)
This is virtually a completely different camera than the 10D instead of an upgrade but a very welcomed one.
This gets rid of almost every quirk or want of the 10D. Yes, there are still a few small tidbits that some people would like to see changed or added but no camera will ever be perfect. Considering that, this one is coming close.
If you would like to see samples from this camera, you can visit my personal photo site here:
or Here:

Nov 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mkaplan to your Buddy List
kodos

Registered: Nov 12, 2004
Review Date: Nov 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely snappy and responsive. Good AF performance, intuitive controls (for previous EOS users), very detailed sensor when paired with L (or equivalent quality) lenses, fast write times, ETTL II, ISO 1600 performance.
Cons:
No ISO display in viewfinder, 6 shot RAW buffer (not a limit for my kind of shooting)

Feels like shooting film again! Very responsive AF, great sensor (large prints look stunning!), and feels like a camera that will last a few years (never felt this way before about a digital camera I've bought). A good thing, as it allows me to feed my L-Lens habit ;-).

On firmware 1.0.5 -- never had a single lockup. But I don't have or use non Canon lenses. Works fine with my Sigma 500DG Super Flash as well, even in ETTL II mode. ETTL II actually works! Unlike ETTL I which was hit or miss in my experience.

Nov 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kodos to your Buddy List
dspmax

Registered: Jun 18, 2004
Review Date: Nov 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,439.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Frame Rate, Frame Quality, Read/Write from Compact Flash, Options & Functions, Light Weight, and Durable
Cons:
None really, but since you asked: dust & auto white balance indoors.

I've owned the 20D for about 2 months now, and have shot approximately 6500 shots. The camera performs wonderfully and has yet to let me down. I purchased the 20D as an upgrade from 300D, and an upgrade it is. FEC compensation, write speed, usefull custom functions alone are worth the upgrade. I can't remember ever waiting for the buffer to flush!

The results are stunning (maybe this should be more attributed to the L glass). I have not ran into any limitations with this camera. Some of the quirks others have mentioned, including No ISO display in the viewfinder, lose CF door, and loosing the buffer when opening the compartment door, are not considered limitations by me. I believe the camera serves the purpose of helping you take the best pictures you can very well.

I would strongly recomend this camera if you are an amateur like me, looking to get the most out of every shot you take.

Great job Canon, you've got a winner here!!

Nov 11, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dspmax to your Buddy List
kotya

Registered: Nov 10, 2004
Review Date: Nov 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast camera, AF in low light, very good noise-free ISO range (100-800).
Cons:
No ISO in the viewfinder, build-in flash (who use it?), auto-settings

With all the good words I have for this camera, one thing really strikes me. What the hell Canon was thinking about?!?! You cannot shoot raw in auto modes! Whenever you change shooting mode to any of "basic zone", like portreit, camera switches to JPEG/Fine shooting. This is really annoying and makes all these modes useless to me as I always shoot raw.

Apart from that, it is a great camera to work with. After all, 1D Mark II doesn't have these basic modes at all. I guess, I will have to learn to live without using this otherwise usefull (for quick snapshot) modes. Could be a good thing, forces me to deal with each frame in more professional/controllable way.

I must admit, may be it is normal for DSLR, I do not know as I came from film cameras.

Also, it worth mentioning that I cannot download raw files directly of the camera. I can see and download any JPEG files, but raw files just not in the list. I had to buy a card reader. $10, but hey, what was the USB 2.0 buzz is all about, if I have to use external card reader? It would work just as well with no PC connection. :-) May be I did something wrong though...

Nov 10, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kotya to your Buddy List
dennislrz

Registered: Nov 9, 2004
Review Date: Nov 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, burst, easy to understand and navigate menu and settings
Cons:
small LCD, some settings awkard to change

This is my first digital SLR. I'm very impressed with the camera overall, especially the fast startup and processing times, burst mode, the 9 point autofocus etc.
Great camera...still have a lot to learn about it though.

Nov 10, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dennislrz to your Buddy List
yverick

Registered: Jul 27, 2004
Review Date: Nov 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very fast camera much better than the 10d. 8.2 MPixels at 5 fps albeit not for long... (cf cons)
Cons:
unlike many said there is no bigger buffer over the 10d, if anything it appears smaller (i shoot almost exclusively in raw mode).THE INTERNAL OPERATIONS ARE FASTER, THE BUFFER IS NOT ANY BIGGER (than the 10d)

the 20d is my second dslr after the 10d. I own and use both. I would say that the 20d is not a must as the 10d used to be in its time. Mainly because of it pace of operation in raw mode: with 10d you would have a 9 image buffer going @ 3fps which means that one would rarely hit the buffer limit. With 20d it's now a 6 image buffer @ 5fps. The buffer space is up only after 1.2 second or so compared to nearly 3 second of continous shooting with 10d.
Of course this is only true when shooting raw files.
After a little multiplication i discovered that the 20d buffer can only handle 49.2 MPixels of raw files (8.2 MP X 6) against 56.7 MP (6.3 MP X 9) to the 10d.
Don't make any mistake, i like the high shooting rate of the 20d and the faster processing and writing speed generaly makes up for the lack of buffer space. But coming from the 10d i think the 20d more like an advanced amateur camera where the 10d have been nothing short of a small professionnal camera at the time. In these quick changing days a perfectionnist photojournalist will certainly need a more substantial buffer with a 5fps shooting rate available.

Overall i like the 20d, its a very fine product and I will keep it.

note: it is just an arbitrary opinion, nothing absolutly true. In fact if 20d had been my first serious camera i would certainly have learned another buffer management paradigm and found the 20d as "professionnal" as anything. With my 10d experience i like the 20d, but i see it as a great tool for my eye and photographic ability not as a workhorse. (It's not a eos "3d" yet!)

In the end for the price and an amateur use i have to rate as excellent (5/5)

Have a nice day!

Nov 7, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yverick to your Buddy List
deevee

Registered: Mar 12, 2002
Review Date: Nov 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast and well laid out AF fast power on nice ettl2 flash continuous jpg shooting great for sports small but solid body nice matte viewfinder screen for manual focusing
Cons:
some settings require awkward 2 hand change some preset WB could be better Dynamic range could be improved LCD still small and only 118K pixels some awkward ergo still

this review is related to my former 10d in general since most people would like to see how the 20d compares to the 10d and consider whether the differences are worth the upgrade. Let me tell you now. If you have the dough, do upgrade, the 20d is better than the 10d in almost every facet.
The biggest improvement is performance. The 20D is the best performer asides from the EOS1Mark2, period. It starts up faster, has bigger buffer, shoots faster, and focuses faster than the 10d. The AF 9 point layout is great for any kind of fotografy, and the addition of the joystick makes it a joy to choose the AF point or the area of viewing on a zoom review.
With JPG I can almost shoot indefinitely continuously w/o the camera slowing down, a great feature for sports and active wildlife.
the body is smaller and lighter than the 10D, a plus for long hiking trips. For large hands, the 10d may be easier to hold. Build is till rock solid as the 10d
Imagewise, the 20d exhibits a bit more DR than the 10D and the WB is a little more accurate. I'd like to see better preset WB. As it is, only the Auto and sunny and flash are good. The rest could be risky at time!
All ISOs are useable, even 3200. I can safely shoot at very hi ISO w/o worrying about noise. I can't say that with other cameras, 10D included.
AF is fast and works even under low light, nothing to complain there. the 10d tends to struggle in low light situations.
Using the built in flash is a delight. It's accurate and since it sits hi, isn't blocked by the lens. Ditto for any shoe mount flash!
A few lows i should mention here. The LCD is still small and doesnt have enough res.
Changing drive, metering , AF modes is still awkward and require 2 hand operation.
Overall, there's not much not to like about the 20d. For the price, it may well be the best DSLR in the market right now for its class bar none!

Nov 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add deevee to your Buddy List
Rowdy

Registered: Oct 6, 2004
Review Date: Oct 28, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,615.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast auto focus, fast shutter speed, wheel on back of the camera, EF and EF-S lens compatibility, feels good in my hands. Fast startup owns the DR.
Cons:
None found yet, I need to try a fast lens to really push this thing. Canons fast lenses too pricy for me though. Probably try a Sigma soon.

Upgrade from the digital rebel for me (sold my DR for this), feels good, looks nice and I am happy with the results so far, (I bought it two days ago). Ritz didn't have any lens kits available, so I had to go without a wide angle lens.

Feels just like what it was designed to be, (between the 10D and the digital rebel in Canons prosumer lineup). DR produced good images, but I needed something less limiting and faster.

My test of this camera will be the SEMA show here in Las Vegas on 11-02-04. I hope to capture some decent images and get them up in the events section of www.LVracingscene.com (buddys website).

Edit: Very happy with my results -