67 330535 Jul 21, 2014
8.3

With the large maximum aperture, excellent background blur is possible even with a fast shutter speed. The aspherical lens element makes the lens compact and corrects spherical aberrations. The image is sharp even at the edges. Lead-free glass is used.

nickmeertens

Registered: Aug 4, 2005
Review Date: Mar 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: It's fast, it's sharp, it's solid and it focusses fast and reliable.
Cons:

I got this lens to use as a 'normal' lens on my 20D and i cant find anything to fault it!
Reports about it lacking in sharpness must be from brick wall shooting pixel peepers because in my opinion it is plenty sharp wide open and stopped down i think it exceeds the sensors capabilities.
Color and contrast are great, build quality excellent and the best thing is that it focuses fast and reliable even when the light is dim enough to have to use it wide open at ISO3200!
Go and get one, you won't regret it!

Mar 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nickmeertens to your Buddy List
rhorta

Registered: Dec 11, 2005
Review Date: Mar 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp center, f/1.8, USM, 7-bladed aperature and built quality.
Cons:
Price, CA and soft borders.

This lens can be frustrating, but once you get to learn its strengths and weaknesses, it is quite rewarding and IMHO an affordable alternative to the 24L.

Soft borders can become an advantage if you like a dreamy look and the EF 28/1.8 produces a very nice bokeh. Don't be fooled however, stopped down a little the center becomes murderously sharp.

I was ready for a serious disappointment when I first tried it on my new 5D, the relatively weak border performance could become a real show stopper on a full frame, but instead I was pleasantly surprised.

My 28/1.8 seems to be made for full frame low light work.

This lens shares the 58mm filter size with the popular 50/1.4, 85/1.8 and 100/2.8 macro to name but a few. And it's really built like a tank!

So if the budget doesn't allow for L-glass, or if (like me) you're uncertain if a 24L is worth the extra investment (I'd rather get a 35L or 85L instead), this may be the lens for you.

Mar 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rhorta to your Buddy List
rickz

Registered: May 31, 2003
Review Date: Mar 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: sharpens up nicely at f2.2 and beyond; very good bokeh (7-blade); the perfect walk-around prime for a 1.6x FOVCF camera (45mm FF-equiv); unquestioned compatibility
Cons:
price may be a little steep for some, but compare to L-series; 'dreamy' appearance at f1.8, but not a probem in the real world

My hands-off comparison against the Sigma 30mm/f1.4 was long. After months of studying reviews, forum posts, charts, and sample photos, I determined the anguish was unneccessary. The Canon 28mm/f1.8 is welcome addition to my 20D.

Where the loose but otherwise excellent 50mm/f1.4 is a great portrait lens for a 1.6x FOVCF camera, the FF-equivalent 80mm is too long for indoor gatherings. At a FF-equivalent 45mm, the 28mm lens is the perfect walk-around prime for me, and a perfect choice for low-light indoor events. Having shot through a 50mm prime for years with an AE-1, I should have known better.

Chromatic abberations? Distortion? Softness wide open? None of these 'problems' appear to manifest themselves significantly in real-world use. f1.8 is nice for a brighter viewfinder, but I prefer shooting at f2.2 and above. Stopped down just a bit, the lens sharpens up nicely, and has bokeh nearly as pleasing as that produced by the 50mm/1.4.

Stop pixel peeping, stop vacillating, and start shooting. The Canon 28mm/f1.8 is a very good prime.

Mar 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rickz to your Buddy List
ffur

Registered: Jan 26, 2006
Review Date: Feb 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast wide and sharp.
Cons:
?None

I dont know if i got a "bad" copy because mine is sharp. And I love it. It is much better than the 24mm 2.8.

It is an excellent lens if you need the 1.8.

Feb 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ffur to your Buddy List
vinke

Registered: Apr 8, 2004
Review Date: Feb 1, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: $390.00

Pros: fast, solid and compact w/ quick focus. great focal length on 20d (1.6x). nicely saturated colors, too.
Cons:
not as sharp as my 50/1.

I use this lens in the house most times. Wide enough and fast enough and it won't break the bank (like 1.4 might)!

Feb 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vinke to your Buddy List
vinke

Registered: Apr 8, 2004
Review Date: Feb 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $390.00 | Rating: 10

Cons:
not as sharp as my 50/1.4

Feb 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vinke to your Buddy List
panos.v

Registered: Dec 15, 2005
Review Date: Dec 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast aperture, smooth bokeh, very nice colour, good build quality. Not that expensive for what it is. Fast and silent AF. Close focusing.
Cons:
Soft at f/1.8-f/4. It also vignettes at f/1.8-2.8.

This is a great lens for low light shots. At f/1.8 and ISO 800 you can do miracles in low light and the viewfinder is bright enough so that you can see what is hapenning.

The build quality is very good, the autofocusing is fast and accurate, bokeh is nice and creamy and colour is excellent.

The only cons for this lens is that the corners are soft at f/1.8-f/4. It also vignettes from f/1.8 to f/2.8.

Overall, this is a great low light lens and also makes a great travel prime. With the nice bokeh and wide aperture it can also be used for some very nice environmental portraits. The close focusing ability also allows for some very good perspective effects.

Dec 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add panos.v to your Buddy List
Mad Monte

Registered: Nov 4, 2005
Review Date: Nov 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great light gathering daily driver lens for indoor use on a 1.6 sized digital camera. Built like a tank. Good quality above 2.5
Cons:
Cost. would be nice to make an L lens like this and add 100.00

Quite a high cost for a small prime non " L" lens. Wish Canon made an L version of this lens. Still , it is a great indoor lens for my Canon Rebel 6.3 APS sensor. Bought it to be a daily driver and needed a nice low light lens. ( I do have the 50mm 1.8 as well but not wide enough for allround use) I use this lens quite a bit on my film based K2 Rebel with Ilford 's Delta 100 Black and White film and a red filter. Quality is nice though not quite up with my 17mm to 40mm L lens. Main problem is 400.00 is alot of money for a non L lens. Pro : great in low light and I don't need to crank up the ISO as high. Great street lens lens even in bad light . This lens and a Russian tank would be a good match and the lens may just win!!! Quality is quite good if not used at 1.8,, but that going for most any lens..

Nov 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mad Monte to your Buddy List
C Jam Blues

Registered: Sep 20, 2005
Review Date: Sep 26, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $384.95 | Rating: 6

Pros: Build Quality; USM; Small size (very similar to the ef50/1.4); f/1.8.
Cons:
Corner sharpness can be inconsistent; Out of focus (bokeh) rendition not very smooth and can sometimes be distracting, even wide-open.

I've gotten some really good results out of this lens. I've also got some not so good results. I always preferred the size and focal length of the ef35/2 for the 20D and 1D2. Unfortunately, canon hasn't updated that lens with USM (I've gotten quite used to using the ability to manual focus without switching the lens to MF). So, instead of spending serious $$$ on the ef35/1.4L, I got the 28/1.8.

To my eyes, it's not as good optically as the 35/2, but it's quieter and lends itself to a faster workflow (for me, anyway). I tend to like the results more when used on the 20D rather than the 1D2 (corner sharpness). I wouldn't recommend this lens to everybody, but in reality, good results are possible. And sometimes (more often for some), getting the shot counts more than the technical quality of the shot.

Another negative (about all non-L canon lenses, actually), the lens hood (EW-63 II) is not included and cost me an extra $24.

Sep 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add C Jam Blues to your Buddy List
kel3at

Registered: Jul 9, 2004
Review Date: Jun 12, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: USM, very compact, great constrast, color and bokeh, fast
Cons:
Very soft at times

This is a strange lens, sometimes it would give me excellent sharp images and other times very soft. I thought it was a focus problem so I sent it back to Canon for recalibration. No real change. I replaced this lens for a used Canon 20-35 and get better results for a cheaper price.

I do miss the 1.8 aperature and the nice color and bokeh of the 28 though. But not enough to go back.

Jun 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kel3at to your Buddy List
Gorham

Registered: Jun 1, 2002
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: I used this lens as my 'normal' lens with my 10D and was pleased with it in that role. USM focus was fast; quality and color were good. Decent construction; good metal mount.
Cons:
Manual focus is a tad noisy. Small filter size.

This lens is small and fairly light weight; a good addition to the bag when longer and/or slower zooms constitute the rest of the kit. I used it as my 'normal' lens with my 10D and it worked well in that capacity. Worked well for group shots and low light situations.

I bought mine new and have been pleased with this particular lens.

I'm hoping to work with it in different ways with my 1D as my scope of photography changes this spring.

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gorham to your Buddy List
drisley

Registered: Jul 12, 2004
Review Date: Apr 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent build. Great size and weight. AF is super quiet, fast and accurate. Beautiful contrast, colour, and bokeh. Decent sharpness and a great focal length on 1.6x digital. Very close focusing distance. Fairly good flare resistance.
Cons:
A little bit expensive. Slight green/red fringing (chromatic abberation) occurs sometimes in extreme circumstances. Lens Hood is an extra.

I've been wanting a "normal" angle lens for my 20D for a while, and I did a lot of research before buying this lens.
It's only competitors were the Canon 28/2.8, 35/2.0 and Sigma 28/1.8 (couldnt wait for the upcoming Sigma 30/1.4).
T
he Sigma was out of the running because of too many negative reviews. That left the other two Canons. The price for the 28/2.8 was attractive, but I feel it is too slow for a prime lens at F2.8. Also, I plan on using this focal length a lot, so I want a well built, quiet lens. So, that ruled out the 35/2.0 as everybody said that lens is NOISY. Also, both those lenses have 5 blade apertures which can give lousy bokeh.

On paper, the Canon 28/1.8 was perfect with it's higher quality build, USM auto focus which is completely silent and fast, and full-time manual focusing. Many users say this lens isn't sharp so that had me worried. Well, after using for a week, I must say I am very impressed and happy with the lens. It's almost as sharp as my 50/1.8II, but offers better contrast, colour and bokeh. Overall image quality is about the same as the 85/1.8, but SLIGHTLY softer. In fact this lens reminds me alot of the 85/1.8 because of it's build too.
I am very pleased with this lens, and I would recommend it to anybody who doesn't mind shelling out a little more money for the more robust build (vs the 28/2.8 and 35/2 lenses).

Apr 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add drisley to your Buddy List
swhite

Registered: Apr 5, 2005
Review Date: Apr 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small size, sharp, fast focusing, pretty good build
Cons:
a bit pricey, ever-so slightly soft wide open (no more than expected though)

Excellent lens for low-light situations. Good standard focal length on 1.6x bodies. Not as good value as the 28mm f/2.8, but has USM and more than 1 stop advantage. Similar build quality to Canon's 85mm f/1.8.

Apr 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add swhite to your Buddy List
gerrit p

Registered: Jun 10, 2003
Review Date: Mar 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: good quality for the price paid. selective focus with the lens wide open. fast focus
Cons:
the corners need closing the aperture, but when used as a lens for reportage is not a big issue.

got the lens fot my 10D, it is one of the lenses that fits very well with this camera; its almost a standard lens, but a little bit on the wide side; perfect for reportage.
Focussing is accurate and the sharpness is good.
There is some CA in the corners, but it has no L price, so the quality is OK for me.
With the 1Ds mark II this lens is fantastic, less CA than with the 10D and can be used almost wide open!
One of my favourites, because it has less weight than the L lenses and a very good quality.

Mar 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gerrit p to your Buddy List
Kurt Jones

Registered: Oct 19, 2002
Review Date: May 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $270.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Fast apeture and pretty fast AF performance. color and contrast was pretty darn good too
Cons:
a bit soft wide open, but not too bad. Edges are worse, but I'm using it on mkII's so the 1.3x helps there. Build is ok.

Just picked up this lens for use in my Aquatech DV-3 water housing.
The lens is OK wide open if you're shooting things up close and fill the frame.
A few wide shots I did at 1.8 Sucked !!!!
I'll be using this baby at 5.6 or 8, so I'm not too worried, as it performed very well stopped down beyond 4ish....
Feels a bit flimsy and plasticy, but for the money I paid for it, it'll do it's job just fine.
Color and contrast were petty good.
I'm happy with the $$$ : Performance ratio....

Kurt

May 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kurt Jones to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Mar 21, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast max aperture, USM motor
Cons:
Soft wide open, soft corners unless stopped down.

This is a good lens for what it does, but for this price I'd expect the performance to be better. My sample was soft at f/1.8 and didn't become better till f/3.5. The 28/2.8 which is smaller and cheaper than this lens beat the 28/1.8 at all apertures. I'd get this lens only if I had to shoot at f/1.8.

Mar 21, 2004