67 329127 Jul 21, 2014
8.3

With the large maximum aperture, excellent background blur is possible even with a fast shutter speed. The aspherical lens element makes the lens compact and corrects spherical aberrations. The image is sharp even at the edges. Lead-free glass is used.

fever104

Registered: Sep 16, 2003
Review Date: May 11, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $480.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight, small size and fast! IQ of f2 and up is great.
Cons:
a bit soft (more like veiling) with f1.8 (still very usable). Color fringes issue with 1.8 but goes away if you stop down to 2.5.

Originally I have 20/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4 and 85/1.8 but I decide to get a set of prime light-weight travel kit with only 3 lens. I decide to replace 35f2 with the 28/1.8 (still keep the 20/2.8). I think the result of 28 at f2 is comparable to 35 at f2, however 28/1.9 a bit wider and more practical for traveling. Also, it has a much quieter and faster focusing. I think this is a keeper.

May 11, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fever104 to your Buddy List
gojayjay

Registered: Apr 14, 2010
Review Date: Apr 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: fast focusing. silent motor. good weight. size
Cons:
none so far

I really love this lens.

It was just recently that i decided to use prime lenses and i never imagined i could find a gem like this.

I've been telling myself that i can't afford an L lens, so i've searched everywhere to for a used/ second hand prime lens.

im into landscape and street photography.

I own a 400D, an ef-s 10-22 and a 50 mm 1.8 v2. i wasn't that pleased with the 50 since it haunts too much and for me the range wasn't built for a cropped body like mine.

So i decided to get this lens. it works really good! its also wide enough for indoors and really fast to focus at night.

Apr 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gojayjay to your Buddy List
Trevor Sowers

Registered: Aug 14, 2009
Review Date: Apr 14, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $680.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Accurate AF Good build, Sharp for a fast 28
Cons:
In low contrast light it has occasionally missed focus but it is rare.

I bought this lens after MUCH hesitation due to mixed review.

I love the lens so far. It is a little soft at 1.8 but very usable in low light and I have even gotten some excellent 1.8 shots in moderate light with careful focus. At f2 it is just fine for environmental portraits. Overall I think this is a good lens and there is simply no better alternative that is this fast and this price.

The L lenses are better but they are double the price or more!!

The sigma is about the same performance and about the same price.

The other canon primes are slower.

This lens will make photographers happy.

Apr 14, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Trevor Sowers to your Buddy List
Hudson Gardner

Registered: Nov 5, 2006
Review Date: Feb 15, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Fast focusing
Cons:
Horrible bokeh, lack of sharpness at f/1.8, does not focus properly at infinity, does not focus properly on landscapes even when stopped down to f/5.6

This is one of the worst lenses I've ever used. I may have had a bad copy, but it constantly missed focus. It wasn't sharp, the color rendition was horrible, and the bokeh makes me have a headache. Do not buy this lens.

Feb 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hudson Gardner to your Buddy List
scooterzz

Registered: Dec 19, 2005
Review Date: Dec 22, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $475.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Dead-bang AF accuracy at all settings. Tack-sharp center even at f1.8, corner to corner sharpness by f4.0 or so. Build quality excellent for a non-L lens.
Cons:
Somewhat pricey. Corner softness / CA wide open, also a little halation wide open - but both (a) expected in a sub-$500 lens and (b) disappearing after stopping down a bit.

An excellent lens that met or exceeded all my expectations.

I was expecting some softness wide open, but the 28 f1.8 surprised me with center sharpness that's better even than the 50 f1.4 at f2. Sure, the corners are somewhat soft - but even here it was better than expected. For low-light situations where f1.8 counts, it's likely that the corners are going to be far out of depth-of-field anyhow. (Some of the reviews I've seen don't seem to get this, and insist on pointing out soft tree branches in the corner of a landscape ... that no sane photographer doesn't shoot at f5.6 in the first place.)

Stopped down to f2.8 or smaller apertures, the 28 f1.8 can hold its own with any L-series lens I own.

The AF accuracy is simply phenomenal; hits focus like a sharpshooter every time. This in sharp contrast to pricier products like the Sigma 30 f.14, which can't hit focus in the @ss with a bass fiddle most of the time.

Absolutely great "normal" lens for an APS-C sensor. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Dec 22, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add scooterzz to your Buddy List
Capeachy

Registered: Aug 18, 2009
Review Date: Aug 18, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $470.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF, lightweight, normal lens on crop body, good build, depth of field index
Cons:
A little pricey

I'm using this as a normal lens on my XTi for all kinds of pictures: From landscapes to people to whatever I see.

The first thing I want to say is wow, this lens is perfect for use as a normal on crop bodies! Composition is a no brainer, what you see with your eyes normally, then put your camera up to your eye and just take the picture. The lens is light and compact, AF is fast and very accurate and the pictures come out sharp. (Disclaimer: I don't pixel peep and I don't shoot wide open in the bright sunlight.)

If you use the lens to take close up objects like 1-3m away, you'll need to keep in mind that the DoF is pretty shallow. Try an online DoF calculator and you'll know what I mean or use the DoF meter on the lens. I shot f/8 and expected more to be in focus but I was surprised how shallow it can be depending on subject distance. Don't mistake a seemingly non-sharp lens for user error!

The other reason I got this lens is so I can do low light and it doesn't disappoint. AF is still quick and smooth but watch that DoF and AF point!

I use this in concert with my 50 f/1.8 as a substitute for not buying a 24-70 f/2.8 and having to deal with the added weight. Just walk forward and backwards to get the extra angles Smile The extra stop of light is also much more useful for movement in low light. With a bit of practice, you can switch lenses quite fast. (Hint: don't bother with the front caps, that's what your UV filter is for. A little dust on there won't even register.) I also carry a Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 with me and all 3 lenses combined is the same weight and roughly the same price as the 24-70 f/2.8 and I get more low light performance and wider range of angles. Well worth it in my opinion.

Aug 18, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Capeachy to your Buddy List
AbramG

Registered: Jan 30, 2006
Review Date: Aug 17, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: I like that it is quick to focus, sharp, light weight, and compact.
Cons:
The colors don't necessarily JUMP out at you, but it's not a big deal, easy to fix with PP.

I was actually surprised (based on what I've read) to find such a gem of a lens! It's very usable wide-open and great from f/2 onwards. I've been using it mostly on my 5DmkII, but it's also very usable on a 1.6x body (I've tried with my 40D). I will quite often take just this lens and the 5D w/o a grip out shooting and I'm always happy with the results.

Don't be afraid to try one out!

Aug 17, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AbramG to your Buddy List
ckc11

Registered: Jan 29, 2009
Review Date: Apr 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight, fast silent USM, great FF walkaround lens esp for low light indoor. Good bokeh.
Cons:

Looking for a lightweight lens for everyday use, look no further. Paired with a FF 5dmk2 this has been on my camera exclusively for the past month. The brick (24-70L) is now gathering dust. It's perfect for indoor situations when lighting can get pretty dark. 28mm is great for tight quarters and it focuses very close at 25cm. No problems focusing, it's fast and silent. Bokeh is really pleasant too.

I was debating between this and the 50mm 1.4, and I'm really glad I went with the 28mm. 50mm is a little too long for indoor candids. With the 28mm you can always move closer whereas with the 50mm you can't always move back.

Apr 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ckc11 to your Buddy List
roo72

Registered: Dec 9, 2008
Review Date: Dec 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, build, image quality
Cons:
No lens hood - come on Canon!

My second "real" lens (not counting two crappy kit ones) and I just love it.

Dec 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add roo72 to your Buddy List
klinker

Registered: May 14, 2008
Review Date: Nov 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Nice compact build, fast AF
Cons:
price

Nov 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add klinker to your Buddy List
Jo Dilbeck

Registered: Dec 20, 2007
Review Date: Sep 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast focus, low cost alternative to 24 F1.4L
Cons:
None really

I've had this lens for about a year now. About 3 months ago, I sent it to Canon for calibration because it just seemed softer than it should be based on the reviews I've seen. Canon got it right on the first try, this lens now rivals the 24 F1.4 I was considering replacing it with! I did head to head test chart pictures with both lenses and all stops between 1.4 and 4.0 and while the 24 F1.4 was a WEE bit sharper from 2.0 up, it was not enough for me to justify the additional expense. At F1.8, I found both the 28 and the 24 to be almost identical, or at least so much so that I can't tell the difference.

If I were a pro, and relied on the lens for my livelihood, I would probably choose the 24 F1.4. Since I'm just a serious hobbyist, and use this lens only for it's F1.8-2.8 values (I use the 24-105 F4 for F4 and above), this little gem is more than good enough for me. It focuses quickly, quietly and accurately. If you get a new one, and it's just not quite what you expected, send it to Canon (Irvine) and let them give it a "tune-up". You might be glad you did!

Sep 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jo Dilbeck to your Buddy List
AurelSK

Registered: Aug 17, 2008
Location: Slovakia
Review Date: Aug 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $425.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Compact size, USM - fast very silent focus, Canon
Cons:
my is tad soft on f8 - f11

I have replaced my loved EF35/2 with this lens as upgrade. Of course, EF35/2 was old design with noisy and slow AF. This 28/1.8 USM focusing is superior, a different world compared to 35/2, but...

After week or two using this lovely lens I got similar feeling as someone before me written here - that this lens is strange - sometimes it would give me excellent sharp images and other times very soft. I had this feeling from some portrait pictures I have made at f9 1/200s with softbox. I have expected razor sharp output, but it was not. It was rather soft. At f9!
I have used then also plastic EF50/1.8 II and surprisingly output of EF50 seemed to me to be sharper.

Next day I have made a comparison of this EF28/1.8 with EF50/1.8 without using any artificial lighting at same condition/camera setting. What I have found out was surprise to me. I think that this 28/1.8 is much better in sharpness than 50/1.8II, except f8-f14 range. Look at results of my home-made comparison:

It seems to me that EF28/1.8 has much more consistent sharpness over the aperture range than EF50/1.8II, but I see some problem with its sharpness at f8-f11 range.

Beside this, I like this lens just as I loved my EF35/2. It is apparently wider and seems to be good alternative for an expensive wide-zoom-L-lenses picture quality wise. I am not sure if picture quality of EF28/1.8 is better than EF35/2 I have used previous three years, more likely it is not, but USM focusing is apparent advantage of this lens over the EF35/2.

Aug 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AurelSK to your Buddy List
speedtrials

Registered: Aug 23, 2005
Review Date: Aug 12, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $325.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: build quality is not bad
Cons:
-poor performance from f1.8 until at least f2.8 (lots of CA, softness) -very bad AF in medium and low light....only decent in bright light situations

I bought this lens to use as a "normal" lens on a crop sensor body. The autofocus performance in medium and low light was so bad that it was unusable. Also there was so much CA and softness from f/1.8 to f/2.8 that it was really unusable in that range. Don't waste your money on this one....instead get the f/2.8 version which is smaller, lighter, cheaper, focuses better and is better at f/2.8 wide open than this lens is stopped down to f/2.8. What a disappointing lens!

Aug 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add speedtrials to your Buddy List
slobomitic

Registered: Sep 19, 2005
Review Date: Jun 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast, lightweight, sharp
Cons:

Excellent lens, very sharp wide open, great colors. Highly recommended.

Jun 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add slobomitic to your Buddy List
montymoe

Registered: Jul 8, 2006
Review Date: Jun 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.88 | Rating: 8

Pros: lightweight, fast and quiet. Nice blur and sharp enough stopped down. A nice 50mm equivalent for a crop sensor.
Cons:
Not as sharp as I expected from a prime. Pretty soft wide open but for the price you won't find anything better.

I bought this lens to be a low/available light indoor shooter. First tried it out at my kid's birthday party and the pictures were beautiful. Sharp, good contrast and great colour. I love the creamy backgrounds at wide appertures too. Prints from this lens look great up to 5x7. I haven't tested it at sized greater than that but from what I've ready I probably don't want to. Really though, would I tell the difference when using my inkjet? Who knows. While I've been tempted to drop the coin on a zoom in this range nothing appears to rate much better (except the 24mm 1.4) and nearly all of them are much more expensive, bigger and heavier. If you're on a budget and/or already carrying 80lbs worth of crap you'll appreciate this lens.

Jun 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add montymoe to your Buddy List
matthewm

Registered: Mar 6, 2008
Posts: 2011
Review Date: Mar 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great build quality, Super fast USM, Fast 1.8 Aperture, Great Price
Cons:
None as of yet

I just received this lens today from KEH.

This lens is absolutely fantastic for the price. Even brand new I think it's easily worth the price. My only complaint for other buyers is that it doesn't include the much needed lens hood (Surprise, surprise). Mine came with it from KEH and I think you can get your hands on a decent 3rd party hood for under $20 so it isn't a total bummer. Oh, and while we're on the subject of the hood, it's a little awkward. I like to store my hoods backwards on the lens and this hood completely covers the lens. So that's not really an option while using the lens. Other than that, it's great.

The optics on this lens are as good as I've seen from Canon. I currently own this lens and the 50mm f/1.4 and honestly I think this lens is built better than the 50. It compliments it nicely though and seems to be sharper than my 17-40 f/4 L at the 28mm mark. (Zooms are never as sharp as primes, but still...)

I'm shooting on a 5D and this lens doesn't show the extreme CA or vignetting that I've been reading about. It's a tad soft at the corners but the center is tack sharp especially at about 2.4 and above. At 1.8 it's still acceptable and with the 5D's resolution and sharpening abilities in Photoshop I think this can be easily corrected.

If you're looking for a good wide-angle prime, this is the lens for you. I'm completely satisfied. I'll update if anything else comes up.

Mar 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add matthewm to your Buddy List

67 329127 Jul 21, 2014