Nikon D70s

8.7
D70

6.1 effective megapixels

New Nikon DX Format CCD imaging sensor for 3,008 x 2,000-pixel images

New advanced digital image processor to optimize image quality, control auto white balance, auto tone and color control

Accurate white balance regardless of lighting conditions achieved by Nikon's acclaimed 3D Color Matrix Meter with 1,005 pixels

Continuous shooting at 3 frames per second for a continuous burst of up to 144 pictures (The number of continuous shots possible in a single burst may be fewer depending on the type of CF card used)

Immediate power-up has the D70 ready to take pictures before your finger can reach the shutter button

High performance System LSI uses next-generation programming to greatly increase the speed of all processing and writing operations

High-speed, high-precision 5-area AF system

Maximum shutter speed of 1/8,000 sec. for full creative control

Seven new automated Digital Vari-Program selections including Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Night Portrait, and Night Landscape for crisp and vivid results that match the intended shot

New generation color reproduction system offers a choice of three color modes

New JPEG and NEF Combination Filing System enables simultaneous recording of NEF (RAW) and JPEG data for the same shot to optimize and accelerate workflow

Large LCD monitor with user-friendly menus

New AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED zoom lens designed to deliver high performance and outstanding value as a perfect match for the D70

Built-in auto pop-up flash features exclusive i-TTL flash control, fast 1/500 sec. flash sync shutter speed, and supports Nikon's Creative Lighting System

Nikon software bundled

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4  next

transmit

Registered: Feb 19, 2004
Review Date: Jul 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, good color, light and compact, robust and well built for price, some pro features
Cons:
Needs post processing for best images, resolution sometimes lacking compared to 8mp Canons, can be complicated to master all the features, starting to look dated

This is the perfect camera for someone starting out with digital photography on a relatively low budget. Brush up on your Photoshop skills though! I've got a more complete D70 review with sample pics here: http://www.noendpress.com/pvachier/cameras/nikon_D70.php

Jul 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add transmit to your Buddy List
IFeito

Registered: Jan 11, 2006
Location: Mexico
Review Date: Jan 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Good value if you have Nikon equipment
Cons:
No hi-speed flash sync / No vertical grip / No mirror lockup

I was looking at this camera and the Canon 350D to make the move to Digital. Reading the features I noticed the following three issues that were a definitive deal breaker.

1.- No high speed flash sync. I use fill flash on about 60% of my outdoors pictures (whenever I'm not at the magic hour). Doesn't matter that the flash sync speed is 1/250 (vs 1/200 in Canon) when you can sync up to 1/4000 in Canon!

2.- No vertical grip. Are you kidding??? How are you supposed to hold a long lens steady? Even if the Canon 350D is smaller once you add the grip it's 100% better!

3.- No mirror lockup???? I didn't make the upgrade to Digital when the Canon 300D came out because of the lack of mirror lockup (turns out it was software blocked). I wouldn't buy this camera on this issue alone. Have you tried shooting macro with and without mirror lockup? Try macro with exposure times around 1/4 of a sec and you'll be begging for mirror lockup.

If you don't have a lot of Nikon gear on your bag I don't see a reason to choose this camera.

Jan 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add IFeito to your Buddy List
sgtpinback

Registered: Aug 1, 2005
Review Date: Nov 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: see below
Cons:

Since my 350D is at Canon to fix back focus problems, the camera store has given me a D70s for a few days as a replacement camera. I thought I'd write a mini-review of the differences I noticed between the two. The one I had came with a 28-80mm (3.3-5.6) zoom which probably isn't Nikon's engineering masterpiece.

Build: The D70s seems a lot more sturdy, and fits the hand much better. Nevertheless it's quite light. I like it. It didn't complain about being snowed on a bit. The lens was about as confidence-inspiring as Canon's kit lens (which I didn't buy), i.e. not at all.

Controls: The D70S has two control wheels, which is useful in M mode. There's also a good selection of buttons for changing frequently used settings. Most of these are well-designed and can even be used with gloves on, except the AF/MF switch which is fiddly. Like on the Canon, ISO isn't shown anywhere until you press a button. "Delete image" and "Confirm delete" are on the same button which seems to invite accidents. The LCD screen on the back is highly dependent on viewing angle. There's really only one viewing position from which you can get a good impression of an entire image unless the whole image is quite bright.

Viewfinder: I don't have the cameras next to each other, but they seem similar in size. The autofocus points flash red much more brightly on the 350D; I sometimes have trouble discerning what the D70s is trying to tell me. The D70s has grid lines in the viewfinder which can be toggled on or off. There's a dioptre adjust slider, but unlike the 350D there doesn't appear to be a way to tell when it's set to neutral.

AF: Well, the AF on my 350D isn't working, but it has two more points where it can miss focus. The D70s I had seemed accurate, but needed a certain level of light for AF to lock on. The lens I had seemed to take a bit of time to attain focus, which led to a larger percentage of shots lost due to lag than I'm used from my Canon, but it probably isn't the camera body's fault. The AF does seem to get slower in low light though.

Images: AWB was consistently off indoors; not a big problem since it's easy to fix if you shoot raw. Images at ISO200 look great - not much difference between 6 and 8 megapixels, and either amount seems clearly enough for my uses. There's more noise at every ISO level than on the 350D, although the difference isn't as big as I expected (except in the "look" of the noise which is just different). Even at ISO1600 you get usable results; much, much better than from my A75 at ISO400 - I checked, since I had forgotten just how bad it was. Another thing I noticed was that the D70s seemed to have less headroom for recovery of blown highlights - using RSP to convert images I find there is more usable information left in overexposed 350D images.

On the whole I think I prefer the Canon, assuming they can fix it. On build quality and useability the D70s may have a slight edge, in terms of image quality I think the 350D wins.

Nov 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sgtpinback to your Buddy List
Petrus

Registered: Feb 17, 2005
Location: Poland
Review Date: Oct 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ergonomy, intuitive "Nikon feel", amazing metering system & response/startup speed!!! Very good AF. It weights "plastic" but feels metal. Free LCD cover.
Cons:
Needs some Neat Image at higher iso (especially if underexposed), but after this files looks not worse than from "C" which has onboard NR (try yourself). Free processing software is just a gadget & a serious one is too expensive... Nikon showed it's back here...

It's year now that I bought it with 24-120 VR. I'm no more than adv-amateur & my review is from that perspective.
For me DSLR's and D-photography is the most wonderfull thing that happened in photography recently!!! And D70 as part of it, beeing my first DSLR is simply a dream camera!!! I still have much to grow up to IT...
You can find more detailed reviews on it elswere so let me just say I'm 110% satisfied with it.
If you are an adv-amateur and don't have overexaggerated expectations - get one, and simply make great pics's!!!

It really has an outstanding almost fool-proof-1005-zone-colour-sensitive light-metering system that causes me shame almost every time I try to override it... (same with flash - but I don't use it that much).

Canon 20D was 50% more expensive, and I'm happy I saved the money.

Oct 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Petrus to your Buddy List
logiman

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Oct 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Feel/ergonomics, build quality, features, flexibility, price, value
Cons:
ISO not shown without a button press, no vertical grip

I've owned this camera for about 8 months and it's my first DSLR and my first foray into anything beyond P&S photography. I very briefly considered the 300D until I held one. Too light and small. I just LOVE the way the D70 feels. I have what would probably be an average build at 6'0" 185 lbs. The camera fits my hand perfectly.

I've read complaints in reviews and forums about consistent under-exposure of around 1/3 of a stop. Although I have seen some of this, in my experience it is not as great an issue as some have made of it. I take a test shot, review the histogram, and make an exposure comp adjustment if necessary. Usually, I don't have to add any exposure compensation.

For me, this has been a perfect camera to use as a learning tool. It is so flexible and is loaded with features. I have been able to concentrate on learning various camera functions and enhancing my knowledge of photographic equipment and techniques. For instance, I recently learned that by setting a combination of functions in the camera, the AE/AF lock button can be used to focus instead of the shutter release. This has been a tremendous tool for shooting my son's sporting events.

In time, I'll move up to a D2X, or whatever is on the market in a few years, to get more fps and less noise at high ISO. But, for the money, this camera is absolutely outstanding.

Oct 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add logiman to your Buddy List
summergoose

Registered: Jan 18, 2005
Review Date: Oct 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,195.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great build quality, easy to use, beautiful sharp results. A Camera that a amatuer or a professional can get great results from instantly. The kit lens is better than normal.
Cons:
The pop up flash is anemic.

This is the camera that has changed the world of photography from film to ditial. It has outstaning build quality, it is simple to use and you get beautigul images.

In a perfect world it would have 8 megs but this is a camera that an amatuer can use to get better or a professional can use to get outstanding results.

I'm saving my pennies for a D2X but until then my D70 has retired my F100.

Oct 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add summergoose to your Buddy List
SoCalMan

Registered: Sep 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The Nikon D70 is reliable, easy to use, very fairly priced, and produces exceptional photographs.
Cons:
Almost none.

The Nikon D70 is an exceptional value. The standard 18 - 70mm kit lens is remarkably sharp, and has exceptional macro performance. There is some modest vignetting wide open, and a small amount of barrel and pin cushion distortion. However, most observers are wowed by the appearance of 13X19 prints.

Battery life is exceptional - approximately 700 pictures. To date, I have shot nearly 10,000 images, without a single failure or problem. The camera is sharp, ergonomic, reliable, and an absolute pleasure to use.

I recommend the D70 without hesitation.

Sep 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SoCalMan to your Buddy List
Oblivious

Registered: Jun 24, 2005
Review Date: Sep 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colours, flash sync/system, SLR, ergonomics, price, sound of the shutter.
Cons:
No optional batter grip, dark viewfinder.

I love this camera. And I will use it to the shutter colapses.
Nikons i-ttl flash system is great, and flash sync up to 1/500!

I also love the ergonomics of this camera, more than on any other camera. The weight and size is perfect and it feels really good to use. You can change almost any setting without even touching the menu button. Which mean you can control things fast.

It's pretty decent at high ISO's, but doesn't beat Canon on that aspect.

The downpart is that there's no 1st party battery grip available, and the viewfinder is a tad dark.

I have no problem recommending this baby to anyone. Nikon did a killer job for this entry dSLR!

Sep 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Oblivious to your Buddy List
goldfinga

Registered: Jun 10, 2005
Review Date: Sep 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, weight, feel. Battery Longevity (incredible!). Ease of use ( very intuitive). Quality of fotos excellent (18-70 "kit lens" superb for the money)
Cons:
NC (nikon Capture software) is not free. CCD not protected enough against dust. Mains Adapter should also be free (very expensive addition!)

I bought the "D70s Kit" (body + 18-70 lens). I can only say great things about the camera itself. I have always been a Nikon user (FM, FE, F501, F100, CP2100, CP7900) and so my choice was biased in that I already had a collection of nikkors, sigmas and tamrons that I could use.

I live in Spain and I bought the camera through a "web-shop" because of the incredible difference in price (I saved about US$300).. although my savings were not without a "hitch": the "web-shop" is not a "recognised distributor*" and therefore I cannot "register" my D70s with spain's "official nikonists club" (they also told me that it would be impossible to download updates for firmware etc...).

*A recognised distributor in spain means a shop or outlet authorised by the ONLY Nikon distributor (trade dealer).

Sep 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add goldfinga to your Buddy List
nelly

Registered: Jul 31, 2005
Review Date: Jul 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Feels and handles like a proper camera should
Cons:
Remote Control is appalling. Images need some work.

After 20 years with film I finally moved over to digital.
Why Nikon???? - So I could keep a lot of my lenses and gear.

The D70 feels like a real camera (unlike many other entry level dslr's) and takes wonderful shots. The D70 stands up to close scrutiny and is capable of producing excellent results.

Would highly recommend

Jul 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nelly to your Buddy List
libros1

Registered: May 9, 2005
Review Date: Jul 25, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: feel size view finder speed
Cons:
poor images soft color very poor

So here I am finaly with a new d70s in my hand after years of othe brands. I am really pumped an ready to go
after about 2 hours I review the photos just taken
crushed I am crushed sharp ness color not top end at all
not even middle of the road the hated canon 350 blows it away so I will wait and hope hope nikon markets a new one that meets nikon quality

I hope some of you might have some info about new nikon cameras comming out I am going on vacation the the end of sept and I would break my heart to go with out a new nikon

Jul 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add libros1 to your Buddy List
1911

Registered: Mar 11, 2005
Review Date: Jul 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: the price on the D70 is wrong. Ya got it mixed up with the D2x.
Cons:

You have the D70 priced as the D2x........
Should be $900-$1000. Not $4900.00

Jul 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 1911 to your Buddy List
cpoole

Registered: Oct 21, 2003
Review Date: Jul 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very intuitive feel and function. Works the way I have come to expect Nikon gear to work over many years. In the digital world, seems to offer very good value for the investment and produces high quality photos.
Cons:
None (yet) that have proven to be a problem. I say this based on the fact that I am not comparing this to a pro-level piece of gear, nor does it carry that level of price.

I guess I was prodded to write this review based on some of the comments I see about the D70 on this page. I often find myself wishing that folks would do the proper research and then post only honest, mature comments about whatever brand of equipment they are reviewing. Honestly, some of the reviews I have read, both on this site and others, fall short of that. Anyhow, I will attempt to share my thoughts on the D70 based on over 30 years experience with Nikon equipment of various types.

I have used Nikon bodies and lenses since 1974 including two Nikkormats, three F2's, an F3HP and I almost bought an F4 before moving up to medium format. In that realm, I used gear made by Mamiya, Bronica and Hassleblad (currently own a few remaining pieces of the latter). I did not get into digital photography until 2001 when I bought an Olympus C3040. I was amazed at what I was able to do with that little camera and it is what led to a new accumulation of photo gear after some years of letting things sit still. After using an Olympus E20 for a short time, I then upgraded to the D70 so I could use many of the lenses I already owned (11 of them to be exact).

I bought my D70 shortly after it was first released to market so I have been usinng it now for well over a year. During that time, I have used it to make several thousand exposures under all kinds of situations. So far, the D70 has been a real pleasure to use in every situation.

I have used it in studio protraits and dance student recital portraits with professional strobe equipment, still lifes and table-top, landscapes, and night-scapes. In every case, my D70 has performed flawlessly. It has never jammed, the batteries have never failed and nothing has happened that was not the design of the camera. The photographs it produces are the equal of what I get from 6x4.5 cm format using film.

I shoot in RAW almost exclusively and process in PS-CS using Camera RAW (in its latest release for PS-CS). Most of my learning curve has been in the use of Photoshop and not the D70 becasue I was brought up on manual cameras and learned the basics years ago. I use the D70 in manual mode almost all the time and find it to deliver exactly what I would expect from it. In many ways, it is even more simple to use for metering exposures than my F-bodies and the finished work certainly has been the equal of my F2's and F3.

Of course, I still have those older F2 and f3 camera bodies, they still work perfectly, and they are between 20-30 years old. It remains to be seen as to the durability of the D70. All I can say is - so far, not a hitch or a hiccup in any area.

I do plan to move to a D2X and I am sure the D70 will probaly not compare to the hefty "pro" feel of the D2X. But then..., it only cost me $1200 with the 18-70mm lens as opposed to $5000 for the body only for a D2X so all things need to be kept in perspective.

I rated the D70 10 overall for the fact that it does very well what it is intended to do in its price range. I gave it an 8 in build quality only becasue its outer body shell is made mostly from plastic and could not be considered a "pro" grade body. However, if I were rating it only within its price range, I would give it a 9 or a 10. And finally, I gave it a 10 in price becasue among its closely priced competitors, it is priced very competitively for what it offers.

I have really enjoyed the D70 and can strongly recommend it to anyone who is interested.

(NOTE: This review if for the D70 and not the D70S. I have had no experience with the D70S so far. Haven't needed to beccasue my D70 has worked perfectly for me.)

Jul 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cpoole to your Buddy List
deapee

Registered: Dec 14, 2004
Review Date: Jul 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast buffer speed, fast focusing, incredible dynamic range, feels great in my hands.
Cons:
Dusty sensor from the factory.

I got my d70 after having a 300d for a good while. The 300d always felt so cheap and small in my hands and I always felt a bit 'handicapped' when trying to keep up with the action.

The d70 really flies...I always use the largest picture size and fine quality JPG shooting, and it says it has 9 shots left in the buffer, but it just keeps firing away...It will drop to 7, then back to 8, 7, 8, etc...just keeps going. Whereas on my rebel, it would take 4 shots, pause for about 5 seconds, repeat, etc.

The build quality is great. It feels really solid and for the price, it's a best buy, no doubt. Obviously, the d2x is going to be tougher, but that's not in my price range at the moment.

Some day, I hope to have a d2x and then my d70 can retire to my beloved backup body.

Jul 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add deapee to your Buddy List
pyrophilus

Registered: Mar 7, 2005
Review Date: Jun 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great entry level DSLR. Incredible battery life. Amazing pictures at lower ISOs.
Cons:
ISO not listed in display unless button is pressed. WB is not always accurate. AF seems less accurate on the peripheral sensors.

It has been three months since I have owned the D70 with the kit lens. Rather than firing away at a post immediately after I got the camera (back three months ago, I would have given it 10 all across with no cons), I waited in hopes that I would have more objective review.

This is my first ever SLR camera. My father was a photojournalist in grad school in Toyko, and he owned two first gen F4's with a bag of lens and filters. He passed away when I was ten and now 20 years later, I decided that perhaps I should try SLR.

I sold my father's mint Bronica ETR-S system to get the D70. There was no way that I was going to try learning on a MF camera (film and printing costs), and same went for SLRs.

It has been 3 months, and I have shot 3600+ shots on this camera. I think I would have never been able to do this on a normal SLR simply from the forbidding price of the film.

REVIEW:

When I got the camera, I thought the camera was more than I expected. 3 months later, for the price I paid, I still think that there is more than I expected.
The plastic body isn't liked by many, but because of this the camera is light. Not too light, but balanced very well. The outside is rubberized with texture, so you really don't feel like you are holding just plain plastic. Someone compared it to a toy in a previous review. It's no magnesium alloy, but then this isn't $5000 either.

I have no problems with the "on-to-first shot" speed. It's instantaneous. Autofocus is good+ (vs. great) when using the "SA" mode.
SA : camera uses only ONE of five AF sensors, and you can chose what AF bracket to use.
DA : same as above, but camera will use other 4 sensors to "help" focus better
CS : Completely auto, camera will focus on closest subject.

After trying other modes, I now use only SA (single area). In the CS mode, the camera hunts quite a bit. Different lenses yield slightly better results, but still hunts too much. In the DA mode, sometimes you will find that the focus isn't quite on the mark.

Also realize that the sensor strips are NOT the size of the bracket. It is a small "strip" that "tries" to go through the bracket you see in the viewfinder. The center AF bracket has TWO sensors crossing each other though. This is why now I use only the center sensor. I used to "unlock" sensor, so I can chose different brackets, but I noticed AF problems in final print, so now I use only the middle, and now my pictures are noticeably better. There is a good article here: http://md.co.za/d70/chart.html

I don't want to sound like the AF is terrible. It's actually really good, but it can use improvement.

My worst gripe with this camera is the white balance. In the auto mode, it really has problem with multiple light sources. It just can't seem to figure out where to set the WB. For example, indoors with sunlight coming in, with flourescent light fixture on. The Auto mode can't really get it. The programmed WB "modes" work okay (better than leaving to Auto sometimes), but even then the settings are too "fixed" and it can't adapt to the subtle nuances. There is ability to fine-tune it, but I haven't noticed much differentce. Plus, the LCD is too small to see if your WB tuning is okay. I REALIZE THAT THIS IS PROBLEM WITH ALL DIGITAL CAMERAS. I am hoping that the WB management will be a big improvement in the next generation cameras. For now, I use Photoshop CS2's Camera raw program. I shoot only in NEF, and then use the "WB" tool to correct it. All my pictures are perfectly color balanced now, but it now takes some post processing. I am just telling myself that this is comparable to or better than sitting in a darkroom all day (not that I have access to darkrooms anymore).

Second gripe, the ISO setting is NOT displayed ANYWHERE. You have to manually press the "ISO" button to see the ISO settings. Initially, I always used to blow great shots because the ISO was set in a wrong setting. I am not used to it, and have developed OCD in checking my ISO everytime I turn on my camera to take pictures. But most of folks I have met and relative who own the D70 say that they too have problems with forgetting to adjust ISO, especially if they only shoot occasionally. This is really sad and pathetic because even ancient F's had a dial on the base of the camera that allow you to put a visual ISO reminder on.

In the raw only mode, the camera buffer can hold 4 shots. If you have a really fast CF card, it's not too big of a problem, but if you own a slower card (have microdrive because of its 4GB size to price), countinous shots will be limited to 4 consecutive shots. If you switch to JPG modes, buffer can hold as many as 19+ shots depending on quality settings (but I don't shoot jpgs).

Someone complained that in the bracketing, he wishes that one can just press shutter release once and have the camera take the two or three bracket shots. If you put the camera on the continuous shot mode and during bracketing, if you hold the shutter release down, it will take two or three consecutive shots (as indicated by you in the bracketting program), and then pause for 1/2 sec. Undocumented in the manual, this definitely is closest to "one button three shots" as one can get.

Some stupid webiste reviews (cnet ahem...) gripe about how the CF slot is slanted. You know, it's not a problem unless your D70 is going to be a communal camera where everytime CF is inserted/removed it will be by a person who never saw the camera before. So take few grains of salt reading reviews (including this!).

I do not know why the wireless remote is optional. It's less than $20 at B&H and I strongly suggest one get it. Someone complained about lack of hole on the remote to attach to strap. The remote comes with a tiny soft case with holes so one can attach the case to the strap.

One more thing, reviewing photos in the landscape mode, the zoom works well, but if the shot is taken in the portrait mode, pressing zoom will not FILL the entire LCD with the zoomed image, but will create a "frame" at the left and right sides. Hoping that Nikon will address this in the next firmware release. By the way, if you have 1.03, I strongly suggest upgrading to 2.0. Dynamic AF seems smarter (albeit I don't use it anymore).

I got a Nikon 50mm/1.8D lens to go with the 18-70G lens. I suggest a low-light, fast lens, because the camera does show alot of noise or artifacts at ISO's above 640-800. 24-70ish 2.8's would be great, but at $99, the 50/1.8D is a bargain. Using fast lens will help to keep you away from the higher ISOs. I also got the SB-600 flash for 179 at B&H.

So how do I like the camera? I love it. I think maybe in 4-5 years, I will probably upgrade to the lateset camera, but until the WB is resolved, I don't see why I really would need a better camera.

Battery life on this camera is insanely great. I have NEVER ran out of battery. I shot over a weekend (600+ shots) with microdrive (they sap more power) and 15-20 built-in flash shots, and the battery meter was no less than halfway down! Nowdays, I just pop it in the charger once every 2-3 weeks regardless of what the meter says. I thought I'd need an extra battery, but I am so wrong and glad that I didn't pay for one.

Jun 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pyrophilus to your Buddy List
bluepolo

Registered: Jun 15, 2005
Review Date: Jun 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast AF, but sometimes fooled, latest firmware gives improvemets to AF, changes frames remaining algorythm, 18-70 lens is great
Cons:
AF sometimes fooled, the exposure bracket system needs a re-think

It does everything I need, but I have only I gripe (so far): when you select exposure bracket you have to manually press the shutter release for each exposure,and you can keep going. I would rather it worked list P+P cams where you press once and it takes as many exposure as you asked for, without further user intervention.

The 18-70 lens has nice bokeh (IMO) and out of focus green backgrounds have a nice (to me) kodachrome feel

Jun 15, 2005