Canon EOS 1D Mark II

98 140300 Nov 22, 2013
1D2

The EOS-1D Mark II establishes new benchmarks for quick response, flexible control, imaging excellence and RAW image management for professional digital photographers.
- New, 8.2 megapixel CMOS sensor
- High-speed shooting at 8.5 fps.
- Improved autofocus
- New, Digic II processor
- New, Digital Photo Professional (DPP) program for high-speed RAW processing
- E-TTL II Flash Exposure
- More efficient power consumption for better battery life
<a href=http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm2/html/specifications.html target=_blank>[More...]</a>

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

mrycar

Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Review Date: Oct 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,299.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Focusing speed, machine gun capability of taking shots in high speed mode, construction, controls layout, 1.3 frame sensor, AF focus points, Low light/ high iso capability, SD card, no-integrated flash, fast startup
Cons:
Price,Only 8.2 Megapixel, weight, Light shutter button sensitivity, swapping from CF to SD card stinks

20D or 1D MII, that was my dilemma. How can a camera with the same output resolution demand and justify so much more money? Previously my camera was a 10D, and I was happy with it.

Both the 20D and the 1D Mark II put it to shame.

The 20D is closer to the capabilities of this camera then most think. Output from each is very similar. The larger sensor, makes those wide angles wider, but the 20D makes those longer lenses longer. Each Camera has its strengths and the deciding factor for me was the high speed sport picture taking capability of the 1D Mark II.

When you first depress that button, this little Canon, fires off a burst of shots faster than lightning. Images almost impossible to catch are now trapped in the CF or SD card. Leaves falling, Birds hopping in mid-air, and anything else where speed is necessary and only a wad of shots count.

Speaking of the shutter button, it is one of my complaints. Well for most that have some type of feeling it may not be, but for my numb fingers, I usally end up pressing the button too far and too early. I miss the two position switch, which I could hear more then feel.

Another thing that both the 20D and the 1D mark II do better than the 10D is focus, both speed and accuracy. The 1D shines in AI servo and tracking, while a slight nod goes to the 20d in low light secenarios.

High ISO numbers are a pleasure with this Camera, the 20D is also a pleasure, but the 1D seems to capture more of the darks than the 20D.

The weight is both a positive and negative of this camera. If hiking through the woods with a geek vest, two cameras, etc, the 1D soon becomes noticable.

Some folks find the controls a little cryptic, but i think they are some of the best ergonmically designed controls out there. Yes, the first hour provides a bit of challenge, but soon it becomes second nature. It is almost impossible to accidently change your settings, and each setting usually is only 1 button, dial combination away.

I like the fact that without the flash, I can use my hartblei T&S lens without the knobs hitting the front of the camera.

All in all a great camera. If you want action, weatherproofing, a SD card, AF points galore, high iso, then seriously consider the 1DMII

Oct 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mrycar to your Buddy List
bdmNL

Registered: Dec 24, 2003
Review Date: Oct 18, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The best a man can get!....except for the 1DsmkII. (first on my wish-list)
Cons:
NONE

Simply the best. In my old days (1980's) I was shooting with the analog Canon F1. In the digital age, this is the camera that gives me the feeling again of having a real mean machine. Shooting with nothing but convidence and against all ods!!! Thanks CANON!

Oct 18, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bdmNL to your Buddy List
leuphrates

Registered: Oct 18, 2004
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Oct 18, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and feature-full.
Cons:
Overpriced right-now, comparing with D2X and 20D.

The dream-machine! But 8.2M pixels is not 1-class anymore, I think. 13x19 printouts are not satisfactory. Anybody interested? I am selling mine for 1DsM2...

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add leuphrates to your Buddy List
Richard Smith

Registered: Jan 16, 2002
Review Date: Oct 18, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Speed, handing, weight.
Cons:
Weight (see below).

It has taken me a long time but with this camera I have finally gone totally digital, all film stuff sold off via ebay.

I have no regrets.

I was worried about the weight of the thing (I do a lot of mountain climbing/walking). But now I have it, it feels more balanced with larger L lenses attached. Although I think I will be using my monopod more.

There is a learning curve to go through with post processing (sharpening) compared to the previous models I have used. But once mastered I am happy with the results.

Just shot my first sports event with it this weekend, out of 300+ shots only threw 2 out for bad focus. Would have been closer to 50% with the 10D I used to use.

Oct 18, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Richard Smith to your Buddy List
DavidHall

Registered: Mar 6, 2004
Review Date: Oct 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, fast, fast and full of function (probably more than I need, but a Ferrari from my perspective).
Cons:
Heavy, complex and can chew up CF cards faster than a lawnmower------none of which would prevent me from buying it again in a heartbeat.

I have owned 25 different cameras, but nothing like the 1D MkII. I am not a professional, but I want to play like one. This camera gets me closer to my goal. It is like having a high powered computer at my disposal on location. I have no doubt that I would love the 1Ds, but this is the first camera I have had where I didn't start lusting after the next one I really wanted. This is what I really wanted........

Oct 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DavidHall to your Buddy List
bogatyr

Registered: Aug 10, 2003
Review Date: Oct 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extraordinary build quality, long battery life which is Ni-MH instead of the rapidly aging Lithium-Ion batteries, high image quality.
Cons:
Difficult to learn, but that cannot be held against the camera!

Most people seem to be under the impression that Lithium-Ion is "better" than Ni-MH, whereas the opposite is true. Lithium-Ion has a lower self-discharge, but that is about the only advantage because Canon's Ni-MH holds up well to cold. The really serious drawback with Lithium-Ion is that these batteries age rapidly whether or not they are used, so you cannot store batteries for many years. Put some Lithium-Ions in a drawer, and in three years they are basically aged and nearly useless. Ni-MH batteries are capable of being stored for ten years of more. That means, if you have a camera which uses Ni-MH batteries you can store up a number of such batteries and be assured that you have a usable camera for many years. With a camera that uses a Lithium-Ion battery the effective life span of that camera will be equal to the period when the proprietary battery is still produced plus the time it takes before the remaining population of already existing batteries is dead.

Such is the case for cameras using Ni-MH batteries too, but the point here is that in the latter case we are talking about a much longer time. Apart from this reasoning around max life span, the possibility of storing spare batteries for many years is a definite advantage, which you do not have if your camera uses a Lithium-Ion battery.

In my opinion, Ni-MH is much preferred, and more people should be aware of the abovementioned factor.

Oct 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bogatyr to your Buddy List
nickmak

Registered: Oct 1, 2004
Review Date: Oct 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra-high speed (8.5 fps!), High Res. Files, Fast Autofocus, Startup time compared to consumer DSLRs, Built prepared for armageddon!
Cons:
Heavy, but who cares?

A superb camera! Frame rate and everything just blows the others away! When I shot a recent soccer match, shooting at 8.5 fps really made sure I got the shot. There were so many great action shots that I could choose which was the one to pick...

Of course, you have to be prepared for the extra mass that this camera has with it. But who really cares? You get a good arm workout with this camera so save your gym membership and use it to buy another body! :-)

Oct 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nickmak to your Buddy List
nickmak

Registered: Oct 1, 2004

Cons:
Heavy, but who cares?

Oct 1, 2004
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Sep 25, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It does everything except make toast. Very well built Strong ..super quick and well balanced.
Cons:
Big and slightly heavy...for an everyday travel body....apart from that..PERFECT.

Every camera for its specific use...this one is one of the best if not the BEST I have ever tried in the field.....weddings/portraits/journalism...excellent...thumbs up!

Sep 25, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Sep 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,495.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, weather sealing, speed of use, battery life, mains adaptor included -almost everything
Cons:
Dust on sensor problems, silly way to select other memory card, can't get ISO & shots remaining on rear screen, that would be nice. Still has a 1.3 crop, silly access to personal functions via pc- hardly anything, superb kit

State of the art. Not as many pixels as a 1Ds but better shadow detail IMO. Fast accurate focusing even at maximum aperture, good buffer, selectable RAW & jpegs, in-camera backup. All great stuff. Canon software still nowhere near C1. A true gem.

Sep 10, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
wfosterphoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2004
Review Date: Sep 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,495.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Overall build quality, image quality (especially control aspect). Weight, speed, large viewfinder, firewire out, should I go on?
Cons:
storage of images onto two cards (very minor, see below)

I especially like the number of controls over image quality. Allowing me to decide image sharpness, contrast, saturation, etc. I can quickly change on the fly depending on shooting conditions and subjects.

Only thing I would add is an option to save RAW to one card and jpegs to the other simultaneously. This is a very minor thing, but for my workflow, would make things a little easier.

Sep 10, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wfosterphoto to your Buddy List
bsoten

Registered: Jan 8, 2003
Review Date: Aug 22, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,499.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The pure fact that I have one! The PRO feel to it compared to the 10D. I actually like to weight of it too. 1/8000 shutter speed.
Cons:
This could be from lack of experience with it (only had it 4 days) but I don't like that when the camera is asleep (power saving mode) that ANY botton (not just the shutter) being pressed will turn it on. My 10D came on only with the pressing of the shutter button.

All of the technical stuff from other reviewers has already been said. Here are my feelings about this camera...

WIth my wedding and my fine art nude work, I felt like I was getting my moneys worth from my 10D. Although I always has issues with the focus problems and the lack of spot metering. So in short, I always had reservations about the overall quality of the 10D AND the quality of my photographs. I felt like a bird with clipped wings...I can fly for only short distances.

With my new 1D Mark II, I feel like an eagle that can fly above all others. Limited only by my imagination.

My only problems really don't have anything to do with this camera. I just wish I could find another damn battery!

Aug 22, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bsoten to your Buddy List
dbarthel

Registered: Dec 13, 2002
Review Date: Aug 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Rock solid feel, 8mp, 8fps, battery that won't die, ETTL-2, low noise.
Cons:
Way to much anti-alias filter - highs will lose detail if not careful to underexpose.

This is my first 1 series body. Initially, had serious focusing problems (would not lock on to perfect focus), but after Canon service a very nice body. I really wish that Canon had laid off the AA filter and that images out of the camera would look like 1D images. There are very serious issues with fine detail being lost in the right 1/4 of the histogram. The only thing that saves it is that underexposing and pulling up the shadows works very well.

Aug 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dbarthel to your Buddy List
Cecil Walker

Registered: Jan 13, 2002
Review Date: Aug 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Truly a pro camera, solid feel and mechanics. No separate vertical control grip to keep tightening. Amazingly fast autofocus and FPS (not to mention how many photos you can take in a burst). CMOS sensor produces great images and saves on power.
Cons:
Takes multiple fingers to make most settings! Not too big of a deal, really.

I'm a motorsports photog and had previously owned/used the D30 and 10D. Never switched to the 1D as I was really hooked on the look a CMOS sensor gives. 1DS was both too expensive and too slow for my needs. 1D Mk II had everything I was looking for!

Cecil Walker
Pro Motion Photo
www.ProMotionPhoto.com

Aug 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Cecil Walker to your Buddy List
Dean Treml

Registered: Aug 9, 2004
Review Date: Aug 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $5,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, sturdy, image quality, well featured.
Cons:
Not much.

This is the D-SLR sports and news photographers have been waiting for. All the features and response times you would expect in a pro film body. Image size and quality that is good for almost any use full frame, and can be happily cropped (sometimes severly) for newspaper/magazine use. Rugged, good balance and layout. Canon seem to have beta tested functionality on the D2000/1D and CMOS on the D60/10D and come up with this beauty.
Slight softness of images can be disconcerting initially, but is easily overcome with a bit of a fiddle, and unsharp mask is as much a part of taking a digital photo these days as anything. Just think of it as the last slight adjustment of the focus ring !
Amazing low noise at high asa/iso.
New ETTL 2 flash excellent, especially after the flash exposure lottery that was the original 1D
This camera may be 1.5kg, but it's still lighter than the old 2MP D2000's (DCS520) that we used to happily lug around a couple of years back. It's has a build-quality feel that reminds me of the Nikon F5.
While the battery is not the newest technology, it lasts forever - 1920 exposures from the first usage before it showed "Low" power.
Other than a couple of personal preferences (e.g. I would like a shooting speed in between 3fps and 8.3fps) I have no complaints with this camera.
It's nice to be able to shoot a series of shots and be able to use them in the manner that you would have had they been shot on a film body. While it is still not "film quality" it may as well be for all but the most extreme and exacting applications.
My EOS 3 is now history.
Cheers Canon.

Aug 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dean Treml to your Buddy List
Mr Pixcel

Registered: Dec 30, 2003
Review Date: Jul 23, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $4,500.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Great camera when it works.
Cons:
Have the camera for 6 weeks and the chip is broken. Send it to get repaired. Dont know if it will be the same when it's new.

Was so excited when I got my Mark II, but work only for 2 weeks and can't get a new one. The store won't give me a new one.

Jul 23, 2004