Nikon D2Hs

21 47416 Mar 17, 2010
D2H

* True Nikon pro SLR compatible with most Nikon F-mount lenses.

* 4.1-megapixel CCD, 2,464 x 1,632-pixel images

* ISO from 200 to 1,600 ("ISO Boost" to 6,400)

* Very fast shutter response and cycle times.

* Wireless image transfer capability with separate transmitter accessory.

Page:  1 · 2
OwlsEyes

Registered: Feb 22, 2003
Review Date: Sep 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Ergonomics, size & weight, handling, speed
Cons:
Resolution, resolution, resolution

For me, the D2h does not live up to its hype. It is an outstanding camera and suits its actual targetted audience well. For the sport & or news photographer, this is an incredible camera. The D2h is, without a doubt, the nicest handling camera I have had the pleasure to own. However, it you are interested in capturing fine detail in distant objects, the D2h has insufficient resolution. Distant trees, shrubs, bushes, etc... lose their detail... as a result, this is not a good camera for someone who considers themselves to be a general nature photographer.

Sep 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add OwlsEyes to your Buddy List
clew

Registered: Feb 8, 2003
Review Date: Jun 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: responsiveness, image quality, white balance, large LCD, responsiveness, ability to accept older lenses, battery, SB800 i-ttl flash capabilities, did i say responsiveness???
Cons:
images have a tendency to appear a bit warm in some situations (easily fixed in Nikon Capture) which adds to the workflow.

I think Stripper's post was excellent and reflects my feelings very closely. I have always been a Nikon guy, so this was the logical choice for me. The largest file size I've printed out thus far is 16x20, which it handled with no problem. The lossless compression option allows me to get nearly 300 images on a 1GB card. Try to do that with an 8MP camera LOL. Will I purchase a D2x? Probably. But I'm not one of the guys who is going to wait another year for an (as of 06/2004) unannounced camera. I've got quality right now. Why wait???

Jun 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add clew to your Buddy List
Stripper

Registered: Dec 11, 2002
Review Date: May 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Responsiveness, picture quality, ease of use, feel.
Cons:
Potential for noise above ISO-800

I have been a Nikon user since the F with no meter (which still works BTW) The D2H is by far the best Nikon body I have ever owned. I adapted to the controls in no time. The controls are laid out in such a way as to make the camera almost respond to my thoughts. Very few shooting adjustments require that I take my eye off the viewfinder or move my fingers very far.

The viewfinder is the best I have seen on a digital camera and compares very favorably with my F series Nikons. The LCD screen on the back is large but takes some getting used to. At the default setting it is too bright. After owning the camera for a few months I like the LCD.

The white balance is excellent. I shoot 90% of what I do in RAW mode, but I leave the WB on AUTO most of the time and I rarely have to mess with the WB adjustment in my RAW converter. When I do shoot JPGs, the Auto WB has been spot on. If you want to set a custom WB, it takes only a few seconds.

The metering system is almost like cheating. My camera lives in 3d Matrix mode, except for a few trips into spot mode. It is also very easy to set up a bracket if you want to combine to exposures or if you just want to be sure. Another great feature is the tone compensation. On sunny days, my camera lives in low contrast mode. The ability of this camera to capture those difficult mid-day scenes is amazing.

Once you get the hang of it, the Auto Focus is simply awesome. I have had only limited success in the past tracking F1 and Indy cars at speed with predictive AF. With the D2H, not only does the camera seem to track the cars, it seems to focus on the center of the car so that the entire car is in focus. Again, it is almost like cheating. The D2h will even track fast moving objects very well with my slow focusing Nikkor 300 f4 AFS. As sharp as it is, this lens was a focusing dog on the D100.

As far as image quality is concerned, I have almost never been disappointed with the output from the D2H. As I write this, I am looking at a 30 inch print hanging on my office wall of a pit crew doing a hot-stop on an IRL car in the pits at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. You can almost tell what kinds of bugs are smashed on the driverís helmet. Donít worry about the D2Hís 4MP files. These pixels deliver amazing detail. I donít miss 6MP at all. Would I like the option of having an 8MP file? I sure would, but I doubt I would use it most of the time. I use this camera for Landscapes, Portraits, and Sports. It delivers beautiful images in any situation. The only caveat is that at very high ISOs it is noisy. It is usable up to ISO 1600, but above 800 you must be very careful not to under expose.

I guess this camera is not for everyone. It certainly has had it share of detractors. I just canít make it screw up. If Nikon comes out with a higher MP version using the same body, my photographic life will be complete.

May 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stripper to your Buddy List
mauritta

Registered: Aug 4, 2002
Review Date: Apr 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $29,995.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The speed of this camera is unreal, the focusing, second to none, the Detail captured, the best of any slr/ dig that I have ever used. do not be fooled by the low pixel number keep in mind that this is a Nikon sensor, their first one, and its a beauty, The number of keeper shots have gone up considerable over my D100, I could not be happier.
Cons:
Its big, but realtively light,its not cheap, and you must pay attention to the exposure at high iso to minimize noise.

Apr 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mauritta to your Buddy List
jrulison

Registered: Jul 31, 2003
Review Date: Apr 15, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super fast I believe it's getting better then 8 fps depending on your lens of choice. Weight is good battery life is awesome and quality of images are amazing.
Cons:
Potential for near IR problems and noise at higher ISO's

This camera meets and exceeds my expectations. The noise although there looks like film grain quick pass with either Neat Image or Noise Ninja will take care of it no problem.

I have made 20x30 prints with this camera and feel I could go larger if I needed to. The build and feel of this camera is nothing you have ever felt before.

If you need a good quality pro level camera and enjoy Nikons this is your camera.

Apr 15, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jrulison to your Buddy List

Nikon D2Hs