Nikon D2Hs

26 47288 Mar 17, 2010
8.7
D2H

* True Nikon pro SLR compatible with most Nikon F-mount lenses.

* 4.1-megapixel CCD, 2,464 x 1,632-pixel images

* ISO from 200 to 1,600 ("ISO Boost" to 6,400)

* Very fast shutter response and cycle times.

* Wireless image transfer capability with separate transmitter accessory.

Page:  1 · 2
OwlsEyes

Registered: Feb 22, 2003
Review Date: Sep 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Ergonomics, size & weight, handling, speed
Cons:
Resolution, resolution, resolution

For me, the D2h does not live up to its hype. It is an outstanding camera and suits its actual targetted audience well. For the sport & or news photographer, this is an incredible camera. The D2h is, without a doubt, the nicest handling camera I have had the pleasure to own. However, it you are interested in capturing fine detail in distant objects, the D2h has insufficient resolution. Distant trees, shrubs, bushes, etc... lose their detail... as a result, this is not a good camera for someone who considers themselves to be a general nature photographer.

Sep 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add OwlsEyes to your Buddy List
Review Date: Jul 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Ergonomics are very good for my hands. Frame(fps) rate is as stated. Color is right on. Seems rugged and the coating on the body is easy to grip. Files are clean and sharp. Easy/Quick to change the most used settings, ISO, file Quality, and white balance settings over and above the normal shutter, aperature, programs. Very customizeable. Files are very good (raw) dont let the 4 megapixel scare you. Last but not least AF on this camera is amazing.
Cons:
Wish the file sizes were larger, I'm sure they will be in the future. Needs a 2nd slot card holder. Sharper LCD display to check focus when enlarged like many other digital SLRs. I also am not sure I like the way the battery is attached. The cover comes off to change the battery. It should be incorporated in the design.

I am a pro for 20+ years. I use fuji S2's and have done a test between the 2.
Both offer different advantages. But all in all I will more than likely pick up this camera to use more often. The Fuji S2 raw files are smoother in the higher ISOs and show just a little less edge fringing. But the d2h files are sharper with less blooming.
Nikons capture 4 software beats out fuji's big time. I will wait to see the S3 and the rumored D2x. The color white balance is very easy on the S2 and works well in most situations but I almost allways shoot raw files and correct it later. If you take the fuji raw file and try to sharpen very much you will get alot more noise than if you take the D2h raw file and sharpen it. If I were to choose between buying the 2 now hands down I would take the D2h. Cost is a factor. The nikon does cost more, really quite a bit. What you need... batteries Fuji S2 at any drug store... Nikon $100 battery pack. Software for raw files is Free with S2 again $100 for the nikon. AC adapter Free with the S2 another $50 - $100 for the Nikon. But cost set aside. The D2h is worth the price.

SPGUSA

Jul 17, 2004
Review Date: Jun 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,200.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Superb ergonomics, speed, ruggedness, battery life, big LCD, buttons lay out, flexibility of shooting modes,
Cons:
Noise on higher ISO, no ISO 100 or 50, mixed results with indoor WB

I've been an S2 Pro user for more than a year, and back then the colors on the D100 didn't do justice for me, especially for skin tones. It's amazing how that has improved with the D2H. It's not Velvia saturated, but it's natural, yet vivid enough.

But before you shoot anything, the D2H feels 'right' in your hands, thanks to good ergonomics, buttons lay out, and Nikon's pro camera ruggedness that we've become used to. The directional button at the back can be difficult to reach for those with smaller hands. But otherwise all the frequently used buttons are well placed, well-sized (see the lense release button), and clearly marked.

Autofocus pattern is adjustable via menu and has different modes, adjustable via a switch next to the LCD. Flexibility on this camera extends to color modes, contrasts, WB, and shooting menu (where a series of settings can be grouped into one shooting "profile" for quick change). Focusing is fast, responsive, and accurate especially with AF-S lenses. It certainly leaves the S2 Pro eating dust! I mainly shoot in large JPGs, and its 8fps speed and 40 frames buffer are simply amazing.

The LCD is big and bright, though I must say its cover is rather flimsy. I lost mine during my 2nd day with the camera. CF read and write times are fast, reviewing pictures can be done quickly with the LCD and the dial controls. Battery life is very good, I lost track of how many pictures it lasts, but I've never exhausted it in one shoot. Also there's a battery monitor function on-camera that tells you when it needs to be replaced.

Picture quality is great despite its 4MP sensor. Colors are accurate, and skintones do have life-like hues. Anything beyond ISO 400 can be a bit noisy since I'm quite used to S2 Pro low noise pictures. But to be fair, D2H noise level isn't that bad.

Generally, the AWB works well for outdoors and shaded area. Indoor WB for me is a mixed results of hits and misses, especially under mixed lighting (fluo+incand.). The custom WB (adjustable by Kevin temperature) is a nice feature if a little time-consuming. I learn to use the D2H mostly outdoor, and the S2 Pro for indoor since I prefer the WB results of the S2 Pro more for indoor shots.

Lastly, as with any dSLR, you need good glass for best results. ED lenses and AF-S lenses from Nikon are among my favorites.

Jun 11, 2004
clew

Registered: Feb 8, 2003
Review Date: Jun 8, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: responsiveness, image quality, white balance, large LCD, responsiveness, ability to accept older lenses, battery, SB800 i-ttl flash capabilities, did i say responsiveness???
Cons:
images have a tendency to appear a bit warm in some situations (easily fixed in Nikon Capture) which adds to the workflow.

I think Stripper's post was excellent and reflects my feelings very closely. I have always been a Nikon guy, so this was the logical choice for me. The largest file size I've printed out thus far is 16x20, which it handled with no problem. The lossless compression option allows me to get nearly 300 images on a 1GB card. Try to do that with an 8MP camera LOL. Will I purchase a D2x? Probably. But I'm not one of the guys who is going to wait another year for an (as of 06/2004) unannounced camera. I've got quality right now. Why wait???

Jun 8, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add clew to your Buddy List
Stripper

Registered: Dec 11, 2002
Review Date: May 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Responsiveness, picture quality, ease of use, feel.
Cons:
Potential for noise above ISO-800

I have been a Nikon user since the F with no meter (which still works BTW) The D2H is by far the best Nikon body I have ever owned. I adapted to the controls in no time. The controls are laid out in such a way as to make the camera almost respond to my thoughts. Very few shooting adjustments require that I take my eye off the viewfinder or move my fingers very far.

The viewfinder is the best I have seen on a digital camera and compares very favorably with my F series Nikons. The LCD screen on the back is large but takes some getting used to. At the default setting it is too bright. After owning the camera for a few months I like the LCD.

The white balance is excellent. I shoot 90% of what I do in RAW mode, but I leave the WB on AUTO most of the time and I rarely have to mess with the WB adjustment in my RAW converter. When I do shoot JPGs, the Auto WB has been spot on. If you want to set a custom WB, it takes only a few seconds.

The metering system is almost like cheating. My camera lives in 3d Matrix mode, except for a few trips into spot mode. It is also very easy to set up a bracket if you want to combine to exposures or if you just want to be sure. Another great feature is the tone compensation. On sunny days, my camera lives in low contrast mode. The ability of this camera to capture those difficult mid-day scenes is amazing.

Once you get the hang of it, the Auto Focus is simply awesome. I have had only limited success in the past tracking F1 and Indy cars at speed with predictive AF. With the D2H, not only does the camera seem to track the cars, it seems to focus on the center of the car so that the entire car is in focus. Again, it is almost like cheating. The D2h will even track fast moving objects very well with my slow focusing Nikkor 300 f4 AFS. As sharp as it is, this lens was a focusing dog on the D100.

As far as image quality is concerned, I have almost never been disappointed with the output from the D2H. As I write this, I am looking at a 30 inch print hanging on my office wall of a pit crew doing a hot-stop on an IRL car in the pits at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. You can almost tell what kinds of bugs are smashed on the driverís helmet. Donít worry about the D2Hís 4MP files. These pixels deliver amazing detail. I donít miss 6MP at all. Would I like the option of having an 8MP file? I sure would, but I doubt I would use it most of the time. I use this camera for Landscapes, Portraits, and Sports. It delivers beautiful images in any situation. The only caveat is that at very high ISOs it is noisy. It is usable up to ISO 1600, but above 800 you must be very careful not to under expose.

I guess this camera is not for everyone. It certainly has had it share of detractors. I just canít make it screw up. If Nikon comes out with a higher MP version using the same body, my photographic life will be complete.

May 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Stripper to your Buddy List
Review Date: Apr 26, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The D2h has turned out to be a big surprise. It produces mroe pleasing images than the D100 and the D1x I have used to date. I was considering a switch to Canon, but no need to now - the D2h is that good. Don't worry about the 4mp - the picture quality speaks for itself. Camera is sensitive to WB accuracy though IMO. Only once I had nailed the WB and exposure did I really get the D2h to work for me.
Cons:
Little to complain about. The rear LCD panel could be improved as it gives a pretty poor impression of the picture taken IMO.

The d2h has by far the best AF of any camera I have handled.

It is early days, but the SB800 flash set up with D2h seems very easy to use.

The ergonomics and handling are outstanding, and the speed of the camera makes taking pictures fun. The camera never "gets in the way" of the picture taking process and, so that I never have to stop and think about what to do while the subject disappears.

Far superior to the Canon 1d. It remains to be seen how it will compare to the 1Dmk2 - but I for one am happy to stay Nikon because the handling is the best there is, and the AF.

I would like to see a more accurate rear LCD however

Apr 26, 2004
mauritta

Registered: Aug 4, 2002
Review Date: Apr 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $29,995.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The speed of this camera is unreal, the focusing, second to none, the Detail captured, the best of any slr/ dig that I have ever used. do not be fooled by the low pixel number keep in mind that this is a Nikon sensor, their first one, and its a beauty, The number of keeper shots have gone up considerable over my D100, I could not be happier.
Cons:
Its big, but realtively light,its not cheap, and you must pay attention to the exposure at high iso to minimize noise.

Apr 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mauritta to your Buddy List
jrulison

Registered: Jul 31, 2003
Review Date: Apr 15, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super fast I believe it's getting better then 8 fps depending on your lens of choice. Weight is good battery life is awesome and quality of images are amazing.
Cons:
Potential for near IR problems and noise at higher ISO's

This camera meets and exceeds my expectations. The noise although there looks like film grain quick pass with either Neat Image or Noise Ninja will take care of it no problem.

I have made 20x30 prints with this camera and feel I could go larger if I needed to. The build and feel of this camera is nothing you have ever felt before.

If you need a good quality pro level camera and enjoy Nikons this is your camera.

Apr 15, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jrulison to your Buddy List
Review Date: Apr 15, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: $4,000.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Very well build camera, sharpness is better than D70 with the full ISO range. Very Responsive shutters.
Cons:
The noise level is scary, much worst than the Canon DSLR or the Fuji S2. The buttons for making WB or ISO changes required the operation of both hands. LCD Display is large, but not sharp, much worst than the S2. WB is a pain, will probably require quite abit of time for post-process.

I have been using the Fuji S2 for almost 2 years, but because the lack of fast AF, and the inconsistane TTL Flash problem. I have decided to give the D2H a try. I have expected to have a lose in resolution, but it turns out it is the noise problem is enough for me to turn it back to the dealer. Because the dealer only offer an exchange, my final decision is to trade or sell off all my Nikon stuffs and get Canon.
At this point, I am w/o a camera, but the Mark II has already been order!

For those who are familiar with the S2, a good example of the D2h noise problem is running D2H with ISO 200 looks sort of like noise level between 400 to 800 with the S2.

Eddy

Apr 15, 2004
Review Date: Apr 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $3,199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Quality, build, high fps, auto and manual white balance, vertical grip, great jpg out of the camera, raw+jpg.
Cons:
4 mega pixel (this can be a plus as I can store more pictures on my compact flash)

I was initially concerned about the 4megapixel, but was quickly appeased once I printed out some 11x14 prints. Subjectively, the prints were better looking than my D100. Pixel count is not as important as the white balancing, focus speed, high frame rate and the vertical shutter as compared to the D100. I really like the white balance setting done just like the Sekonic meter with a push of a button without using a grey card and without using the lens, simply push the multi-function button and the camera reads the kelvin temperature of the light from the built-in WB meter.Definitely a keeper, now my D100 is my backup.

Apr 6, 2004