Canon EOS Rebel (300D)

300D-2

* Canon Digital SLR designed ground-up to be digital

* 6.3-megapixel CMOS sensor, 3,072 x 2,048 pixel images

* ISO of 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600

* Photo-centric design touch Shutter button in Play mode and camera returns to Record mode.

* Compatible with all Canon EOS system lenses and accessories, focal length multiplier of 1.6, plus the new EF-S digital-only lens.

alexdi

Registered: Jun 5, 2004
Review Date: Jul 10, 2012 Recommend? no | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Image quality at base ISO, decent center-point AF, grip
Cons:
Slow, crap LCD, slow, crap above ISO 800, terrible UI, slow shutter response, poor AF tracking, poor flash exposure

If it's 2012 and you're reading this review, buy something else. It's possible to work around many of this camera's limitations, but there's no point. It's a nice raw-file-only project camera if you're digitizing something with a fixed exposure. Otherwise, compared to even dirt-cheap 30D and 40Ds, it's a giant piece of crap.

Oh, the grip is great. Excellent size and proportion.

Jul 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add alexdi to your Buddy List
Manuel Barrera

Registered: Sep 28, 2006
Review Date: Feb 2, 2010 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Still ticking after my last review,
Cons:
none at this point

Has become attached to my son who is studing graphics, attached to a Tamron 28-75, awesome camera

Feb 2, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Manuel Barrera to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Nov 19, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Its fun to make an review so many years after i used it as a back up when i was at the Olympic games in Athens 2004,as a back to a back up for mainly a Canon 1D and the famous Canon 10D,its still good value.
Cons:
compared to nowadays product it is no slouch.

Its still a good value for money camera , and it makes wonderfull pics , adequate for most users even today ,its silver and therefore cool ; pair it with a 35 mm f2 or a cheap 50 mm f1,8 and youll get chokked how good it performs !

I feel there is some hype among the photogh people to get one ,

Good look.

PJ Fish.

Nov 19, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
tommyleong

Registered: Feb 27, 2007
Review Date: Sep 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap now, great grip, light weight, great image quality,
Cons:
slow to start , to write, to review. Just like a film camera. But if you are on vacation, you tend to take things slow. Low ISO pics not very good but still get you the shot.

On top of what everyone else wrote, its fantastic bargain now.
Very decent image quality. I have been able to print 24x36 no problems ( from RAW file )

Great vacation camera. Just throw in a 50mmf1.8 ( another bargain ) and you should be able to come home to some outstanding pics of museum, cafes, dark streets etc.

Its very light, but the grip is large enough for man's hand.So it comfortable and if you do add a flash, it wouldnt keep slipping off your hands like the newer 450D.

Did I say, its really cheap now ?

Sep 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tommyleong to your Buddy List
nikoniand70

Registered: Mar 29, 2008
Review Date: Jun 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: resolution, ease of use, no fuss menu's, raw, handeling
Cons:
battery life with IS lenses 1/3 lower, speed

The Canon Eos 300D is a dslr camera that i like even as mostly Nikon fan. I like the slight better resolution, the easy of use and the no fuss menu's of the canon.

it handles well, sturdy grip on the body and good ergonomics too. The IQ is good to excellent. The down side is the writing speed in RAW and the small buffer.

It is a camera that flourish when putting good glass on, the 18-55 IS lens is nice but due to IS (image stabilisation) is the battery life reduced by 33% of when using no IS lenses.

i have shot now over 1500 shots with it in about 4 months of time and 80 % of them are reel good , 15 % are good an 5 % mishits.

i recommend it though it is old , this model is so darn good that it deserves a place in every home..

Jun 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nikoniand70 to your Buddy List
akilah

Registered: Aug 27, 2008
Review Date: Apr 2, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Low cost entry into the Canon world of lenses.
Cons:
6 mp, higher ISO not so great.

I realize this review comes 5 years too late, but I just dug my old Rebel 300D out of a drawer the other day, and began realizing what it did for me. Because of its cost of entry, I resumed an interest in photography and SLR's, and also began paying attention to getting good lenses instead of new cameras.

So this is really an homage to 300D, I know few on this website would consider it now. But it rocked my world, and the world of photography when it came out, by offering a DSLR in an amazing family of lenses that I could afford. Some of the photos I've taken are still among the best I've taken. Now I have the 5D Mark II, so it is a different world again, but the 300D will have a special place in my equipment drawer.

Finally, especially for those uncertain about entering the DSLR world, it is still worth considering this camera. You can pick one up on eBay for $200 - $250. Ultimate IQ is more about lenses than camera anyway. For a low cost you can start exploring the DSLR world, and also put your money into glass, not into bodies -- a wise balance.

Apr 2, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add akilah to your Buddy List
twin-pt

Registered: Sep 10, 2005
Location: Portugal
Review Date: May 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: IQ is excellent, and with the wasia crack it's features also (for the price, and considering release date).
Cons:
Speed, speed and speed. And did I mention speed? It's too damn slowwwww !!! And it's features without wasia crack...

Brought two and a half years ago on second hand with the kit lens from a friend upgrading to the EOS 350D with more than 8k actuations. I now have more than 14k

Coming from a Powershot G5 it was a huge image quality leap forward. Photos until ISO 400 were as good as or better than my G5 at ISO 50, and at ISO 800 as good as or better than the G5s ISO 100. It opened an all new world of photography for me, especially since my two main photo subjects are low light landscapes and city night photos.

The main problem its that its a slowww camera, now startup times from a 2006 P&S are faster, its buffer is on the small side (but still better than most P&S) and its silver color isnt as discreet as I would like it to be. On plus side, its a joy using RAW with it, since all mainstream programs support it

Just a word of caution: It opened a hole in my wallet since I soon realized that I would need some nice glass to it: Ive acquired the 17-85, the 10-22, the 50/1.8 and the Sigma 150 macro in the last year. I also brought a nice tripod with head, some expensive filters, new hard drives, backpacks and so on. It never ends

May 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add twin-pt to your Buddy List
Manuel Barrera

Registered: Sep 28, 2006
Review Date: May 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: still ticking
Cons:
controls

bought in 2004 and still going strong, only thing done is clean the sensor, had to send my 20d in to canon, had to send my 30d in to canon, so my copy has been fantastic.

May 7, 2008
mbuf

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Location: Romania
Review Date: Feb 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $840.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast&acurate focus, very low noise until ISO 400, still good at 800, light, nice colors, nice handling
Cons:
Limited buffer, noise at higher ISO, some features blocked

The Canon 300D was my first digital SLR. I was very impressed with it, especially compare to the previous digital P&S in terms of focus speed and accuracy - it is very ok even in low light.
The colors are very good, better comparing to 20D.
The camera is light, easy to cary with you everywhere (of course not like a P&S)
The limited image buffer - only 4 images - was an issue for me several times.
The initial limited features is a shame for Canon. The shame became bigger when Wasia firmware was released... One of the first things for me was to install the Wasia firmware and I recomend it to everybody.
In conclusion this is a very good camera in its class.

Feb 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mbuf to your Buddy List
EYE KNO

Registered: Oct 16, 2006
Review Date: Oct 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: good novice camera
Cons:
i wish it came in black in the US, feels cheap

i would recommend this camera to anyone getting into digital photography...

Oct 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EYE KNO to your Buddy List
ukcolin

Registered: Nov 12, 2005
Review Date: Sep 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: I really enjoyed using my 300D and have now gone to the 5D. The resale value of the 300D was a pleasant surprise. Still a very capable camera with controls that are mostly easy to use. Quite adequate for mos amateur purposes.
Cons:
6.3 MP is a bit low for larger prints. Slightly dim viewfinder. Champagne colour!

My first digital SLR and I enjoyed using it enormously. I have now gone for the 5D. The whole 300D package works well. I used mine in all sorts of conditons such as rain and snow and it never misbehaved. The controls took a little while for me to get my head round as up till then I had only used manual focus film SLR's. But once I had got into it they became second nature. Comparing with non-SLR alternatives : the big sensor size compared to non-SLR's is an advantage as is the through the lens viewfinder. (Although this is a bit dim compared to the film SLR's I was used to) And oof course there is access to a massive range of lenses from Canon and others. The 18-55mm kit lens often comes in for criticism but my example worked very well. It was sharp and had a good close-focus ability. All-in-all a fne secondhand buy for those wanting to get into digital SLR's.

Sep 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ukcolin to your Buddy List
Jose de Sousa

Registered: Sep 29, 2006
Location: Portugal
Review Date: Sep 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Handling, nice pictures, Canon Lens.
Cons:
Heavy, slow focusing sometimes, no options on light metering.

Well, the 300D was my first digital...at all, but I personally don't like it very much ! Maybe because of its colors and looks, and for its weight. and most of all for its slow (sometimes) shooting.

It is a nice camera for beginers, and it delivers if you take pictures to landscapes and slow or steady things. It even has some creating capabilities, but from 0-10 I can't give more than a 7.

Its battery has a good endurance and the camera is a bit heavy if you have to take her everywere as I like doing.

A very good buy if you are on a budget !

Sep 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jose de Sousa to your Buddy List
polizonte

Registered: Jan 25, 2006
Review Date: Sep 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent color and detail at default settings, very quiet operation, feels very much like my former film SLR cameras.
Cons:

As a former owner of an all mechanical pre-N Canon F1 and auto-focus Nikon N90, who had been w/o a camera for 3 years, the Rebel XTi is my first digital camera and has exceded all expectations. (My only previous experience with digital had been with my wife's P&S Koni-Minolta) So far I have only used Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to look at Fine jpg. images of handheld shots taken @ full auto/default settings, auto & manual focus, close-ups and distance, sunlight and indoor w/flash, with a Canon 100mm USM macro lens (lens choice was based on opinions posted on this website) Body was purchased at Best Buy and lens at a local, family owned camera store the day we left to vacation in Maine so there wasn't any time to begin the learning curve; having dispensed with the kit lens, a wide angle prime or zoom lens is needed for scenics.

Sep 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add polizonte to your Buddy List
bigg1es

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: Jul 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: My example was perfect. Focuses well, kit lens was sharp overall. Battery life is plenty.
Cons:
Slow to right to the card in RAW mode. Ok if shooting JPG. A faster card helps but dosn't fix the problem

I bought this camera to suplement my 645 kit to do urgent jobs where the customer wanted small images quickly. The camera was so good i "upgraded" to a 20D.

My 20D was very poor at focusing so I sold it on Ebay and bought a 5D which is much better. I now keep the 300D as a back up.

It was interesting to note while I had the 20D that there was no significant difference between the 6MP 300D and the 8MP of the 20D. If you could read a sign on one you could read it on the other. I shot most jobs on both cameras just in case so I did a lot of comparisons.

My 20D would only focus on high contrast subjects but the 300D was happy in almost all situations.

Mine was a good example, but I suspect there are bad ones as well so be carefull when you buy.

Jul 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bigg1es to your Buddy List
Asmodeous

Registered: Aug 9, 2005
Review Date: Jun 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Price. Excellent performance ISO 100-400 and still good at ISO 800. No problems with the camera so far after 4,000 shots.
Cons:
Four shot buffer. Occasionally over exposes. Long time to boot up compared to 30D.

Four shot buffer fills up too quickly leaving you holding the shutter button waiting for the camera to fire again. But for most occasions you ca live with it.
Occasionally the camera will blow a shot way out for no reason, 4-6 stops over. I check my shots on the screen and when I see a blown shot, I retake immediately with the same settings. Even the exif reads the same but one shot is properly exposed and the other blown way out.
The power up time doesn't worry me much. I just keep the camera powered up and pack an extra battery. The battery is good for 250-300 shots without flash and lots of reviewing.
Mirror lock up would be nice. I guess I'll get around to loading the hack up one day!

Jun 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Asmodeous to your Buddy List
photomarvin

Registered: Sep 23, 2005
Review Date: May 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, Ease of Use, Weight, Image Quality
Cons:
Buffer, Build Quality

Now, I paid full retail for this a year and a half ago, but I think it was worth every penny. This help solidifiy my love for photography. I have since added a 10D to my lineup, but I still rely on my Digital Rebel as my secondary and/or backup body.

For the price these things are going for now they are an absolute steal. The 300D takes amazing pictures. It is not for the sports or indoor shooter, but under the right conditions it is wonderful camera to work with. I've thought about selling this and getting a different backup, but it so nice to take on trips since it weights next to nothing. I highly recommend.

May 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photomarvin to your Buddy List

Canon EOS Rebel (300D)