Canon EOS Rebel (300D)

300D-2

* Canon Digital SLR designed ground-up to be digital

* 6.3-megapixel CMOS sensor, 3,072 x 2,048 pixel images

* ISO of 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600

* Photo-centric design touch Shutter button in Play mode and camera returns to Record mode.

* Compatible with all Canon EOS system lenses and accessories, focal length multiplier of 1.6, plus the new EF-S digital-only lens.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5

srogouski

Registered: Dec 4, 2003
Review Date: Apr 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.99 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image Quality. Battery life. Decent focus speed. Excellent low light performance. Very usuable 800 ISO. Kit lens is excellent. No need to spend a lot of money for wide angle.
Cons:
Metering isn't great. Controls aren't intuitive. LCD gets smudged easily. Loud shutter slap. No mirror lockup.

If the Rebel were a film body then it would be a piece of junk. It has a small viewfinder, crappy metering, a nasty plastic finish, and the controls take some getting used to.

But it's not. It's a body plus a decent zoom lens plus over 20,000 shots with no processing costs that rival 35mm. Yes, scanned Fuji Velvia has more detail and black and white film doesn't have sensor blooming for long exposures, but, for the most part, the rebel let's you get the exposure right almost every time simply through trial and error.

The difference between photos taken with my A80 or Sony DSC-S85 and the Rebel are dramatic. The fixed digicams all take photos that have a lifeless electronic quality but the Rebel takes photos that very natural looking.

You'd be insane to buy a 999 dollar fixed lens camera when you can buy this, the kit lens, and a cheap 80-200 and get the same coverage and infinitely better image quality.

That being said, as an SLR body, it's awful. I held a Nikon F100 in my hands the other day and, for the same price, Damn do they feel different.

Apr 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add srogouski to your Buddy List
phantomandy

Registered: Apr 20, 2004
Review Date: Apr 22, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $939.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price = Value raito. An excellent choice for SLR hobbists to break into digital. All EF lenses work with the Rebel. Low Noise CMOS sensor and Very nice Kit Lens
Cons:
No Spot Metering, No AI Servo Toggle, Small Buffer

I have had my Rebel for about 4 months now. While there are many things I love, I guess those that stand out are:

Any EF lens works fine with this camera. This enables new DSLR users to choose from the large market of used EF lenses and build their collection cheap and fast. Then as you grow you can invest in higher quality and faster lenses.

My Kit Lens is super sharp and performs very well - even wide open. I know that the quality seems to vary on the kit lens, but I wouldn't sell mine ever.

This is a flexible tool with many features. Perfect for the beginner or the enthusiast.

The CMOS sensor was one of the main reasons I chose the Canon Body. It produces low noise images in the higher ISO ranges - and silky smooth virtually noisless images at ISO 100. The image quality is limited only by the glass you attach to the body.

Drawbacks include:

Lack of spot metering. There are times that tighter metering would come in handy.

The AI servo works as it is supposed to, but it would be nice to have a manual over ride. I have learned to make it do what I want - but it takes time to get used to it.

The smaller frame buffer only allows for 4 frame busts - which I knew when I bought the camera. However with the slow buffer to CF write's you will occasionally find yourself waiting for the buffer to clear - although for me it is rare - in sports photography it might be a problem at times.

I highly recommend this camera for any DSLR user that wants something that has an awesome price to performance ratio. I have never regretted my purchase - and I get stopped all the time by people wanting to check out my Rebel.

Cheers!

Apr 22, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phantomandy to your Buddy List
AK77

Registered: Feb 2, 2004
Review Date: Apr 19, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price/6 MP quality - compatibilty with Canon lenses.
Cons:
Lack of spot metering, occasionally the AF misses the mark. 1.6 lens magnification factor.

My first digital SLR. (Body only) Terrific quality, easy to use, allows low cost entry to digital SLR quality. The burst mode is fast enough for most applications except perhaps sports or paparazzi photojournalism. My only complaints are lack of spot metering & the occasional AF failure.

Apr 19, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AK77 to your Buddy List
DougW

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Review Date: Apr 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great value for the money! Once you get accustomed to the workings of the camera, it does a fabulous job. One poster said it is not for sports photograpghy. I totally disagree. It is great in capturing sporting shots. With very little shutter lag, I always seem to capture the shot.
Cons:

I have this camera since October and have been very pleased with its performance. The battery seems to last forever. The images I have captured with this camera are amazing.

Apr 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DougW to your Buddy List
BDL_Kid

Registered: Oct 15, 2003
Review Date: Apr 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good price for a DSLR, 6.3mp, good battery life, kit lens is pretty good
Cons:
Kit lens can only be mounted on a 300D

My first DSLR. I am very happy with this camera. Works awesome both with the kit lens and 70-200 F/4L.

Apr 7, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add BDL_Kid to your Buddy List
Review Date: Apr 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: cheaper than 10D...and almost as many features
Cons:
the compnay crippled firmware and ripped out features with lame software to protect the 10D

Hey, you gotta' love this camera....especially with the hacked firmware thta enables many of the features that Canon took out.

Apr 7, 2004
Burger_BMX

Registered: Oct 12, 2003
Location: Argentina
Review Date: Apr 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Really light, the cheapest DSLR when I bought it, works with most canon lenses, long battery life.
Cons:
Cannot select the AI servo AF manually, flash tends to underexpose and not enough power in the flash for sports. Lack of custom WB. Can't think of any more...

Its an amazing camera even with the negative aspects. They don't bother me much. The thing that mostly bothers me is the lack of power in the built in flash when shooting sports of distance objects.
Without the selectable AI servo you can live, you just have to learn how to get to know it.

I've had the camera for a bit more than three months now and I'm really happy with it, I can do anything I want and I can take it anywhere I want. The thing I love the most in the 300D is the ability to shoot still life and night photography, it can take any kind of night shot with now problem, as long as you have a tripod or somewhere to put your camera and it doesn't move.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants a digital SLR camera and i starting out, it's really easy to use, you just have to take the time and learn it's features.

Apr 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Burger_BMX to your Buddy List
DaveLon

Registered: Dec 1, 2003
Review Date: Mar 31, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,395.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great price when I bought it in the fall. Also lighter than the 10D and I don't use it where a more solid and heavier body would matter. Uses Canon glass as well as others. Excellent battery life.
Cons:
No flash exposure adjustment so external flash needed. Miss spot meter mode especially in manual.

Love the feel of this camera and it lets me feel comfortable when taking shots such as candids at parties. I managed 250 RAW shots in under an hour at a birthday party using external flash and never had to wait for the camera. CD of shots proved very popular.

I don't mind the look and feel but some might find it looks cheap. I find the controls well placed for me and the view finder gives a reasonably bright image even inside.

Excellent with the 1.6 factor for bird shots.

Will be my backup when the 10 D Mark ll (or whatever) comes out.

Mar 31, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DaveLon to your Buddy List
Daniel Buck

Registered: Jan 12, 2004
Review Date: Mar 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Value and image quality
Cons:
lack of metering control, and under exposed shots when the flash is used as the main light source

I did not get the "kit" lens with the body, as it felt very flimsy to me. I won't hit on the positive aspects of this camera, it's really a great camera! very capable of great shots (with a decent lens).

I find the lack of metering choices a bit of a let down (I was fully aware of this before I purchased), and any shots where the flash is used as the main light source tend to come out under exposed. (was not aware of this before I purchased). I'm now looking at either a Metz 54, or Canon 550 flash to deal with this, and also to get nice "bounced flash" results.

The CF card door seems a bit flimsy, and the 3 second "boot up" time before you can take/view pictures can seem a bit long at times, especially when compared with the "instant turn on" of some other DSLR's.

Very nice camera, just a few things I would change, but even with those minor misses, I still view the 300d as a very capable camera! I recommend it, especialy for someone trying to break into the world of DSLR's. Any lenses you purchase will work on other higher end Canon bodies :-)

Mar 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Daniel Buck to your Buddy List
Escaport

Registered: Mar 3, 2004
Review Date: Mar 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image Quality, Price, Battery Life, Weight.
Cons:
Lack of rear control wheel, no AF mode selection, small image buffer.

So, the Rebel is not perfect. Does anyone really expect it to be?

All in all this is a great digital SLR. I wouldn't recomend it for sports, but in a pinch you could probably get a good shot or two. For most other types of photography it excells. The only real limiting factor is the 4 frame buffer. You can live with all of the quirks. I just wish that I could get 6-7 frames in a row. The lack of the rear control wheel isn't a deal breaker for most photos, but it definatly slows you down.

Mar 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Escaport to your Buddy List
Review Date: Mar 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality.
Cons:
Wish it was smaller.

First rate in every which way. Image quality of the CMOS sensor is outstanding. I don't even miss the features of the 10D. I shoot RAW and am very impressed with the files taken at higher ISOs.

Mar 24, 2004
Review Date: Mar 23, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $970.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent price, small and handy, ability to use all EF lenses.
Cons:
Obvious that the hardware is willing but the firmware is not. Some features stripped off in the software to warrant its lower price from the 10D.

Excellent product and till now still the cheapest way to get into digital SLR imaging. There are some petty quirks, especially on the tone-down of the firmware to justify it's lower price from the 10D, which of course have got some people infuriated. But it IS cheaper and unless you're unrealistically expecting all 10D performance but 300D price, this really is a powerful little tool.

I'm not convinced that all 10D owners use the added features of the 10D anyway... especially the magnesium allow hull. The DRebel's plastic isn't exactly paper. Mine HAS taken knocks and scratches... which is more than what a lot od 10D users subject their cameras to. Peace of mind, maybe not. But it ain't all that hard to pay a little more attention to camera safety. The Drebel IS a solid performer... in more ways than one.

Mar 23, 2004
Review Date: Mar 22, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: price, picture quality
Cons:
scant on some features that you would expect

Like Phil says in his review at dpreview this thing is great, but less in it's own right and more for what you pay for it. I've upgraded to a couple of L lenses and eventually will get a better body. FEC and the meatering in all modes would have made it the perfect camera, but the picture quality is really exceptional.

Mar 22, 2004