Canon EOS Rebel (300D)

300D-2

* Canon Digital SLR designed ground-up to be digital

* 6.3-megapixel CMOS sensor, 3,072 x 2,048 pixel images

* ISO of 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600

* Photo-centric design touch Shutter button in Play mode and camera returns to Record mode.

* Compatible with all Canon EOS system lenses and accessories, focal length multiplier of 1.6, plus the new EF-S digital-only lens.

mikishots

Registered: Jun 25, 2004
Review Date: Sep 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,199.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Lightweight, high resolution, menus easy and quick to use, excellent battery life.
Cons:
Fragile construction, the dreaded Error 99 (seen it three times), small buffer, no .TIFF option

Image resolution is excellent for the price.

An excellent introduction to digital photography, as it doesn't have every conceivable option in the world, but does offer a wide range of the basic ones you'll use on a regular basis.

Build quality is lacking, but the price is reflected in this. If you want something more robust, get the 10D or 20D, but if you want something to take great shots, this is the camera to use.

Sep 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mikishots to your Buddy List
phidong

Registered: Feb 19, 2004
Review Date: Sep 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,024.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: cheap =)
Cons:
small buffer =(

This is my first dSLR. It is GREAAAAT!! =)

Sep 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phidong to your Buddy List
1982Petrus

Registered: Aug 11, 2004
Review Date: Aug 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $789.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, good product for the money, brings otherwise non-players into photography
Cons:
Loudish mirror slap, view finder is a tad small, hidden 10D features

A great product for the money.

I have always wanted to get into the hobby of photography but would not jump into film. This DSLR was low enough in price to get me started. I am shooting and happy about it.

If you're thinking about getting this camera, stop thinking and jump in - the water is fine.

Aug 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 1982Petrus to your Buddy List
JLavino

Registered: Jul 13, 2004
Review Date: Aug 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightwieght, Same capabilities as 10D, Good starter camera
Cons:
Nothing, considering the cost

I purchased this camera as my first DSLR and I love it. What makes this camera better is the firmware hack for it, it gives it the same features as the 10D. Only exception is the AISERVO mode is still funny out of sports mode. The 6.3 MP is great too.

Word of advice, always check for dead pixels.

Aug 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JLavino to your Buddy List
letjin

Registered: Apr 19, 2004
Review Date: Aug 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: lightweight, picture quality, 18-55 lens
Cons:
lacks functions of higher-end, more expensive cameras (not really negative aspects...)

This is reallly good camera for the money. The camera is very light especially when it's paired with 18-55 lens. Whatever this camera provides, I find it adequate for its price.

300D and 10D gets compared a lot... and I admit that I don't like not being able to select AF & metering modes and that the camera have only 1 dial, but I could've have paid $4500 more and get 10d. After all, I paid $700 for the kit.

One of this camera's biggest advantage is that it comes with 18-55 lens. 18-55 gives decent images especially between f8-f11, even compared to 17-40, the lens performs quite well. Canon's other wide angle options usually go beyond $550, so 18-55 gives a very good cheap alternative on wide angle. (This lens only fits on 300D unless modified.)

Image this camera produce is identical to 10d. They have same CMOS sensor, and parameter 2 on 300D gives 10D colors.

Overall, very good camera for the money. If you are debating between 10D and 300D...get 10D if you care about black and heavier body, larger buffer, being able to select AF and metering modes, pay $500 more and get a 10d...otherwise, get 300D.

Aug 7, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add letjin to your Buddy List
jamesots

Registered: Jul 12, 2004
Review Date: Jul 22, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing picture quality. Great user interace. Built like a tank. Super-long telephoto is cheap.
Cons:
Super-wide is expensive. Evil focus assist flash strobe.

I took several months to decide whether to get this camera or the Nikon D70, and until I got it I wasn't sure if I'd made the right decision. I now have it and I don't regret a thing. It's even better than I was hoping for.

The first thing I noticed when I picked it up is how solid it feels, especially compared to my previous film EOS 300. I then connected the battery pack/vertical grip, which makes the grip more comfortable even for horizontal photos. It makes it easier to hold the camera steady while long lenses are attached, and as an added bonus, it also makes the camera look cooler!

The buttons are all in exactly the right places for my hands, with everything you need while taking a photo accessible while holding the grip with your right hand and the lens with your left. The column of buttons down the left of the LCD are only used for reviewing images and setting up the camera.

Being able to change from 100 up to 1600 ISO on the fly is really nice, and even at 1600 the graininess of pictures actually looks quite nice (to me anyway).

Not having ever had FEC or mirror lock up on any of my previous SLRs, I don't miss it here. I've also never had really expensive lenses, so the kit lens seems fine to me. And my old 75-300 lens, which got really soft and dark at the edges on my film camera, is much better on the 300D because of the sensor being smaller and not picking up the edges. However, I am looking forward to getting the new Sigma 18-50 EX.

The only thing I don't really like about the camera is the way the flash pops up in the basic modes when it's dark, to help with focusing. I'm used to avoiding those modes anyway, from experience with the film EOS 300.

At the moment I'm shooting fine large JPEGs, as the quality looks good enough at that setting, and it's a lot more convenient that wrestling with RAW files. I then save as TIFF files while working on photos to stop losing quality through repeated lossy compression.

All in all, I think this is an amazing camera and would recommend it to anyone.

(The 700 I paid included the kit 18-55 lens, the battery pack, two extra batteries and a 1Gb memory card.)

Jul 22, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jamesots to your Buddy List
nobody

Registered: Jul 8, 2004
Review Date: Jul 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, weight, image quality vs digicams, 1.6x factor for animal shots
Cons:
Battery door, erratic battery life, no control of RAW+JPEG size, no control of metering modes, poor white balance in low light, small image buffer, exposure bracketing controls,

I've had mine for about 5 months and have shot just over 5000 frames with it. Having an all Linux workflow I shoot RAW and use dcraw, ImageMagick, cinepaint and the gimp for processing/printing. This combination produces very good images that can stand a lot of manipulation.

Physically, I very much like this body. I hike a lot and the relatively low weight is a boon. I have made the occasional use of the built in flash and been pretty happy with it (though obviously it's not as good as an external flash, I don't use one often enough to cough up the cash just now). My only complaint physically is that the battery door has a tendency to come open when I'm changing lenses or CF cards. This powers the camera down and I lose a few seconds realizing what happened and getting the camera powered up again.

Battery life is rather erratic. I tried to run down the battery once by setting it to smallest image size, putting in a 1G card and locking down the button on my remote. It shot 1500+ images without going dry. In more normal circumstances it can start running low in as little as 150- 200 shots. I've not had it run out on me, but this makes me nervous. I carry a spare battery just in case.

As for the controls and software, it seems like a design oversight that exposure bracketing settings aren't saved across a power cycle. Everything else is. It's quite annoying to be shooting bracketted, have it go into power save or need to change a flash card and then realize it's not bracketting as you fire off a 4 shot burst of identical images.

White balance is generally quite good, but it seems to get confused in very bright and very low light. It seems that it won't realize that relatively dim incandescent lighting is in use, so manual selection is a must. I haven't figured out how to avoid it overcorrecting for bright sunny days (removing blue tones that are supposed to be there) or removing the warm hues from a mild sunset (sky just slightly gold - the camera white balance made it blue). These problems have only rarely shown up, but when they do they're obnoxious since AWB normally does such a good job. Fortunately correcting for these things in the RAW input is quite doable.

My other complaints are basically limitations that Canon decided to put on this model to differentiate from the 10D. The image buffer is small when I'm shooting wildlife. I frequently find myself waiting for images to write to flash. I also wish for control of the JPEG included with RAW images, either to turn it off completely (for those times when I really want to save space) or save a full size JPEG (more often).

I recently loaded the hacked firmware and it gives me RAW+JPEG control. So far I haven't seen any downsides beyond no longer having a warranty.

Jul 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nobody to your Buddy List
dacop

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Review Date: Jul 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: EXCELLENT image qaulity. Easy to use controls.
Cons:
None. Because if you want more options or a medal body, they are available on the 10D. So why complain about something that is available from Canon for more money?

Excellent Camera...period! Can't beat the price for a digital SLR with lens. If you are looking for more options, get the 10D, but the DigReb is all I need at this point. I will probably upgrade one day to the 10D, but with the results I am getting from this camera right now, I find no need to right now. One thing I noticed after using this camera and trying to use my Nikon 5700 afterwards...the 5700 (or any other conventional fixed lens digital camera) will not cut it anymore. They are toys compared to this camera.

Jul 10, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dacop to your Buddy List
Benjamin Munn

Registered: Jun 15, 2004
Review Date: Jun 19, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ease of use, lens compatability, price, image quality
Cons:
look and feel of the camera body

This camera has served as a great introduction to the world of digital photography for me. I have enjoyed using it so much that I am now considering getting a Mark II. It has me taking pictures again and that is one of the most positive things that you can say about a camera. The ease of use has made photography fun for myself and even for my wife.

I have used this camera primarily for sports and portraits. Thus far it has performed very well. I have been able to pull many 8x10s and 11x14s from it. I am not sure how the quality will hold up after that but only because I haven't tried printing that large.

The convenience of being able to switch ISO settings on the fly has allowed me to capture so many more images that would have other wise been lost. Add to that the ability to view the pictures as soon as they have been taken and you have a camera that not only has saved me a lot of money on film and processing but has also given me the assurance that I got the shot.

I highly recommend this camera to folks looking to get into digital photography. Maybe not the best bet for those that just want to point and shoot but if you want some creative control and are looking to find out if DSLRs are right for you, this is a great place to start.

Here are some shots taken with the camera.

Jun 19, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Benjamin Munn to your Buddy List
RoyGBiv

Registered: May 9, 2004
Review Date: May 22, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, compatibility with EF lenses, 6MP, light,
Cons:
Flimsy plastic body

This camera has made me start taking more pictures, of nature, of my family, friends, garden... That should say enough. Convenience of digital with quality approaching SLR.

I had a little 2MP Nikon and found i was taking all my casual pictures with it and not my Canon EOS A2, but quality was poor and speed was awful (could never catch a nice smile). So I bought the Digital Rebel to leverage lenses, a Tamron 28-200 AF 3.8-5.6 and my Canon 50mm 2.5 compact macro.

I love this camera, it's easy to use, holds lots of high res pictures, and the 6MP really makes a difference when printing or enlarging images. Unlike the Nikon i had there is no lag so you can catch good moments.

Yes due to plastic body it feels pretty flimsy compared to an SLR and now it's going to get some good competition in it's price range, I see price is dropping.

Recent shot with 300D and the macro lens. I'm just amazed at the detail, I zoomed in on one of my pictures and saw a spider I didn't even see in real life.

May 22, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RoyGBiv to your Buddy List
srogouski

Registered: Dec 4, 2003
Review Date: Apr 24, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.99 | Rating: 8

Pros: Image Quality. Battery life. Decent focus speed. Excellent low light performance. Very usuable 800 ISO. Kit lens is excellent. No need to spend a lot of money for wide angle.
Cons:
Metering isn't great. Controls aren't intuitive. LCD gets smudged easily. Loud shutter slap. No mirror lockup.

If the Rebel were a film body then it would be a piece of junk. It has a small viewfinder, crappy metering, a nasty plastic finish, and the controls take some getting used to.

But it's not. It's a body plus a decent zoom lens plus over 20,000 shots with no processing costs that rival 35mm. Yes, scanned Fuji Velvia has more detail and black and white film doesn't have sensor blooming for long exposures, but, for the most part, the rebel let's you get the exposure right almost every time simply through trial and error.

The difference between photos taken with my A80 or Sony DSC-S85 and the Rebel are dramatic. The fixed digicams all take photos that have a lifeless electronic quality but the Rebel takes photos that very natural looking.

You'd be insane to buy a 999 dollar fixed lens camera when you can buy this, the kit lens, and a cheap 80-200 and get the same coverage and infinitely better image quality.

That being said, as an SLR body, it's awful. I held a Nikon F100 in my hands the other day and, for the same price, Damn do they feel different.

Apr 24, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add srogouski to your Buddy List
phantomandy

Registered: Apr 20, 2004
Review Date: Apr 22, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $939.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price = Value raito. An excellent choice for SLR hobbists to break into digital. All EF lenses work with the Rebel. Low Noise CMOS sensor and Very nice Kit Lens
Cons:
No Spot Metering, No AI Servo Toggle, Small Buffer

I have had my Rebel for about 4 months now. While there are many things I love, I guess those that stand out are:

Any EF lens works fine with this camera. This enables new DSLR users to choose from the large market of used EF lenses and build their collection cheap and fast. Then as you grow you can invest in higher quality and faster lenses.

My Kit Lens is super sharp and performs very well - even wide open. I know that the quality seems to vary on the kit lens, but I wouldn't sell mine ever.

This is a flexible tool with many features. Perfect for the beginner or the enthusiast.

The CMOS sensor was one of the main reasons I chose the Canon Body. It produces low noise images in the higher ISO ranges - and silky smooth virtually noisless images at ISO 100. The image quality is limited only by the glass you attach to the body.

Drawbacks include:

Lack of spot metering. There are times that tighter metering would come in handy.

The AI servo works as it is supposed to, but it would be nice to have a manual over ride. I have learned to make it do what I want - but it takes time to get used to it.

The smaller frame buffer only allows for 4 frame busts - which I knew when I bought the camera. However with the slow buffer to CF write's you will occasionally find yourself waiting for the buffer to clear - although for me it is rare - in sports photography it might be a problem at times.

I highly recommend this camera for any DSLR user that wants something that has an awesome price to performance ratio. I have never regretted my purchase - and I get stopped all the time by people wanting to check out my Rebel.

Cheers!

Apr 22, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phantomandy to your Buddy List
AK77

Registered: Feb 2, 2004
Review Date: Apr 19, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price/6 MP quality - compatibilty with Canon lenses.
Cons:
Lack of spot metering, occasionally the AF misses the mark. 1.6 lens magnification factor.

My first digital SLR. (Body only) Terrific quality, easy to use, allows low cost entry to digital SLR quality. The burst mode is fast enough for most applications except perhaps sports or paparazzi photojournalism. My only complaints are lack of spot metering & the occasional AF failure.

Apr 19, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AK77 to your Buddy List
DougW

Registered: Jan 21, 2004
Review Date: Apr 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great value for the money! Once you get accustomed to the workings of the camera, it does a fabulous job. One poster said it is not for sports photograpghy. I totally disagree. It is great in capturing sporting shots. With very little shutter lag, I always seem to capture the shot.
Cons:

I have this camera since October and have been very pleased with its performance. The battery seems to last forever. The images I have captured with this camera are amazing.

Apr 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DougW to your Buddy List
BDL_Kid

Registered: Oct 15, 2003
Review Date: Apr 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good price for a DSLR, 6.3mp, good battery life, kit lens is pretty good
Cons:
Kit lens can only be mounted on a 300D

My first DSLR. I am very happy with this camera. Works awesome both with the kit lens and 70-200 F/4L.

Apr 7, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add BDL_Kid to your Buddy List
Burger_BMX

Registered: Oct 12, 2003
Location: Argentina
Review Date: Apr 5, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Really light, the cheapest DSLR when I bought it, works with most canon lenses, long battery life.
Cons:
Cannot select the AI servo AF manually, flash tends to underexpose and not enough power in the flash for sports. Lack of custom WB. Can't think of any more...

Its an amazing camera even with the negative aspects. They don't bother me much. The thing that mostly bothers me is the lack of power in the built in flash when shooting sports of distance objects.
Without the selectable AI servo you can live, you just have to learn how to get to know it.

I've had the camera for a bit more than three months now and I'm really happy with it, I can do anything I want and I can take it anywhere I want. The thing I love the most in the 300D is the ability to shoot still life and night photography, it can take any kind of night shot with now problem, as long as you have a tripod or somewhere to put your camera and it doesn't move.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants a digital SLR camera and i starting out, it's really easy to use, you just have to take the time and learn it's features.

Apr 5, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Burger_BMX to your Buddy List

Canon EOS Rebel (300D)