Canon EOS Rebel (300D)

300D-2

* Canon Digital SLR designed ground-up to be digital

* 6.3-megapixel CMOS sensor, 3,072 x 2,048 pixel images

* ISO of 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600

* Photo-centric design – touch Shutter button in Play mode and camera returns to Record mode.

* Compatible with all Canon EOS system lenses and accessories, focal length multiplier of 1.6, plus the new EF-S digital-only lens.

Brad Hartwig

Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Review Date: Apr 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, compact, easy to use
Cons:
Occasional underexposure / metereing... could be me!

I bought this camera as soon as it was available. I wanted to take it with me to New Zealand on holidays, so I ordered it on spec. with little available in reviews except the magazine literature.

I shot over 1000 frames in NZ; lots of bracketing and trying stuff out.

I have used it for tabletop techncial photos, family shots, landscapes - just about everything.

It serves my purposes well, and has never given me any grief.

Apr 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Brad Hartwig to your Buddy List
jfk03

Registered: Mar 20, 2006
Review Date: Mar 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Excellent images; ease of use; price
Cons:
Buffer

I have been a casual SLR user for years. Purchased the 300D about 2 years ago as first digital camera and have used it constantly and greatly increased my skills. Have invested in several quality lenses instead of upgrading to 20D. I am finally considering purchase of a 30D or possibly a 5D but will definitely keep the Rebel for utility use.

Mar 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jfk03 to your Buddy List
brendo234

Registered: Jun 15, 2005
Review Date: Dec 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great image quality, great price. Good entry level DSLR - exactly what I was looking for
Cons:
Plastic body, a little too lightweight - I had to buy the BG-E1 to add a little more weight to it.

This is my first SLR - I know, I've been told a billion times that I should have learned to use a film camera first, but I wasn't about to start learing how to process and develop film. I already know how to use a computer and photoshop, so the DSLR was a perfect fit with me.

This camera has been great. Amazing images, works great with every lens I've bought, and the camera has proven to be very durable. To the beach and back a million times.

Great camera, especially for a starter.

Dec 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add brendo234 to your Buddy List
Lani Kai

Registered: Oct 3, 2005
Review Date: Nov 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $688.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, good entry-level D-SLR, image quality
Cons:
High ISO performance, tiny buffer, a bit slow, lacking in many controls

I got a very good deal on this camera 1 year ago and I still haven't found any new ones for significantly less than what I paid, even with the introduction of the XT. The Digital Rebel was my first D-SLR, and It has served me well over the past year. I found it very easy to use and it has taught me almost everything I know about photography today. Unfortunately, as I acquired new knowledge I found myself wanting more control and features, and I upgraded to the 20D, another fantastic camera. If there's one thing I couldn't bear about the Rebel it's the buffer that only holds 4 images... Even my Fuji FinePix F410 was able to do that much. But aside from that it's great for starters and with prices coming down I would recommend that beginners step into the D-SLR world by buying a good used copy of this camera.

Nov 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lani Kai to your Buddy List
Denizen

Registered: Jul 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $990.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light, easy to carry, great image quality for the price.
Cons:
Very plastic feel. Image buffer is very small.

I just went walking through downtwon today taking candids with my 20D and my 16-35. Man. I was really missing my old Rebel today!
I used to do the same thing with a Rebel and 50mm 1.8 and it was much easier. I didn't worry as much and I didn't attract quite so much attention.

There's something to be said for a light, inexpensive camera with high image quality.

Now I'm considering picking up a used one for cheap.

Oct 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Denizen to your Buddy List
Geofn

Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Review Date: Oct 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $940.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, image quality, reliability - over 11,000 cycles and going strong!
Cons:
No mirror lock-up, no flash exposure compensation, size (it's a little small for my hands) and weight (a little heavier would be easier to hold steady).

I bought one of the first DRebs to hit the market nearly two years ago. I have put mine through over 11,000 cycles with flawless performence. I routinely enlarge to 12x18 (on a Epson 2200) with absolutely no visible digital artifacts whatsoever. This camera is one of the best price/performance values in digital photography, and I recommend it (and it's succsssor, the DReb XT) without hesitation to anyone looking to get into digital SLR photography.

I just returned from 3 weeks in Italy where I shot a bunch of ISO 1600 cathedral interiors. Some noise there, but not bad at all, and easily addressed with CS2. Took a single Sigma 18-200 lens for the trip, and I was amazed at the images. Good contrast, vivid colors, generally sharp as a tack. This is a great camera/lens pair for travelling very light. Although there were times when I wished for my 16-35/2.8 on a full-frame body, especially for interiors.

The camera is a little light for my preference, but adding the BG-E1 battery Grip pretty much takes care of that (along with doubling your battery capacity). I was a little concerned about using heavy lenses like the 70-200 2.8 IS (or the Sigma 120-300 2.8) with this camera bacause of the plastic body, but I haven't had any troubles - just hold your heavy lens/camera combinations by the lens!

All in all, this has been a great camera. Reliable, great images, and reasonably priced. I plan to keep mine as a spare body even after I upgrade to the 5D. Given the number of cycles I've run mine through with no problems, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one - and there are some really great prices on e-Bay these days!

Oct 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Geofn to your Buddy List
DynaSport

Registered: Aug 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive, great entry level dslr, good photos, plenty of versatility
Cons:
photo noise at high ISOs a bigger problem than with 20D, has a cheaper feel than 20D (but then it is cheaper), can't take as many photos before pausing to write to card as 20D

This is my first DSLR,as I imagine it is for everyone who owns it. I had a film Rebel before and when Canon came out with the DReb I had to have one. I had avoided buying a point and shoot digital because of some of the limitations of the breed such as long shutter lag and terrible picture quality in low light situations. I am so glad I waited for the DReb. It does not suffer from either of those problems. I am glad I had not found this web site before I bought my camera, though, because I may not have purchased it based on some of the negative reviews this camera has received. I honestly don't understand them. I have had absolutely no problems with the camera whatsoever. I have obtained sharp photos and great results. When the pictures have turned out poorly it has been my fault or me asking a lens to do something it is not capable of. Experience has taught me what works and what doesn't with this camera and the lenses I have. It has been great to learn on. One day I hope to get a 20D or something like it, but for the near future I will be using and enjoying my Rebel.

Sep 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DynaSport to your Buddy List
libros1

Registered: May 9, 2005
Review Date: Aug 1, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: none
Cons:
soft images ,flash ,view finder, no spot meter, plastic body,

this camera is the crown prince of soft images
well the camera is back to canon repair shop I recived this as a gift
the last week of april and it has spent 15 weeks in the repair shop. total lock up , random error messages intermitten white balance

Aug 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add libros1 to your Buddy List
nelly

Registered: Jul 31, 2005
Review Date: Jul 31, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 2

Pros: Image Quality and low noise
Cons:
Its Plastic, too few features

Ok. I will be honest. I hated this camera from the day I bought it. When I got it out of the box and held it for the first time I thought - "yuk, what have I bought".

The amount of times I thought "hmm, I wonder if it can do this" only to find out that it couldn't. It was also let down by the continous shooting which grinds to a halt almost before it got going.

Was everything bad about this camera - no. The image quality was up there with the best although some sharpening was needed in PS.

Jul 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add nelly to your Buddy List
Lupe Talamante

Registered: Dec 1, 2004
Review Date: Jul 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good, low-priced entry level DSLR whether new or used; Interchangeable lens; Plastic body build quality is exceptionally good; Product failure is non-existent; Good tool for learning the fundamentals.
Cons:
Expected performance was disappointing at first; Manufacturer was careful not to advertise picture-taking in anything but well-lit environments; Metering capabilities were less than desireable; Picture quality did not even come close to Point and Shoot models in the same price range; Custom Functions from its predecessor were omitted and will never be unlocked; Learning curve may be steep for some users.

Since 1970, my photography experience has been with lower-end film SLRs - Konica, Minolta, and lastly, the Canon Rebel XS. In a way, they each were point and shoots for me as I was not interested to know more than setting the Mode dial to P or A. The results were satisfactory most of the time, but the costs of film and processing prevented me from advancing my skills with photography. You know, to get better, you gotta shoot more often.

Last year, a DSLR looked like a good way to save money. Being ignorant about DSLRs, I researched all that I could in the span of 6 months. The results that Reviewers posted about the DReb and the “reachable” lower price of the DReb convinced me that this was going to be my first DSLR. I found the Black Digital Rebel under the Christmas tree.

To make a long story short, during the first few months, I was disappointed with the 300D’s performance. So much so that I hid all the bad shots from my family and friends. That was about 80% of my shots. I expected great pictures any time that I pressed the shutter button. Come on, I paid $899 for this wonder machine. Playback on the LCD would show a great shot, but Photoshop Elements did not reflect the same. Underexposure seemed an inherent characteristic of the 300D in almost any Mode. Post-processing (and cussing) became a part of the endeavor during this period. That darned 8-bit LCD lied to me a lot.

Through much Forum reading, I later found that the Histogram was an important factor in determining what settings were best. It’s been an uphill struggle learning this camera, but each month shows that the quality of my pictures keeps improving. And, most of them have been on the Mode dial set to the M. (Manual).

As someone said in an earlier posting here, the Digital Rebel is a good beginner camera. Any prospective buyers should keep in mind that the 300D is NOT on the high end of the Canon DSLR scale. I am in no way a wise person, but good pictures will have to be acquired through much practice, evaluation, modification, and such principles that success requires. : ) Then, again, some people just learn quickly. I am not one of them.

The kit lens has been a good lens to me. It produces fairly good shots. In due time, I realized that something better up front would produce better photos. Hey, we all strive to do better, don’t we? The kit lens is now accompanied by a Tamron 70-200 F3.5 and a Canon 50 F1.8 Mk II ($60) lenses. Until I come across a 50 pound sack full of cash on my way to work, all my lens and accessories purchases will be on the low budget side.

With the BG-E1 attached to it, reloading batteries does not happen as often, but the weight has increased somewhat. The “gripping area” is much more macho-like, however the entire setup occupies a little more room in my LowePro Nova 3. Also, the BG-E1 leads the naïve to think they are in the presence of a Pro. It’s a good feeling until they start asking me for tips. But I know how to exit out of those types of situations which would uncover that I am only a notch higher than they are.

Any troubles with the Digital Rebel? This month, img_9999 restarted the counter to img_0001. Other than me being to blame for the Rebel’s inconsistencies, there have been no build, no program, no mechanical, no troubles whatsoever to report. Knock on wood. Each month I must average close to 400 pictures. I have become my children’s school’s “free of charge” sports photographer, and my RC model airplane club’s events photographer. For practice’s sake, I suggest that the newbie get himself/herself into that kind of endeavor. It makes using the 300D a fun challenge (and a lot of work thereafter).

My Digital Rebel even has the UnDutchables firmware in it. I still wish for AI Servo, Pre-flash operation through my 420EX, and the unlocking of the other Custom Functions. I figure that sometime next year I will be getting all that when we all start seeing used 20D’s for $700 on this website’s Buy & Sell forum. Man, will I be grinning trying to pick out a seller among the hundreds.

The Digital Rebel started out as a disappointment. With lots of reading, asking questions, practice, more practice, and perseverance, anyone picking up this camera won’t feel sorry for too long. In fact, they will finding themselves cradling it in their arms, parking it next to the bed, carrying it to work, and bringing it along every where. Just don’t stop taking pictures with it. I’m happy.

Jul 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lupe Talamante to your Buddy List
felgonza

Registered: Jun 16, 2005
Location: Chile
Review Date: Jul 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price/Quality, DSLR, Image Quality
Cons:
Plastic

I love my Dreb.
I've had a few Canons before, in fact I still have the old FD-mount Canon FTb and the original EOS Rebel.
Well the 300D is incredibly much better than the original Rebel.
I take pictures mostly using M, and they turn out great (a lot of times).
The lens included in the kit is, for 50 bucks, quite good!
Specially the focal length is very useful (focusing isn't that bad, the biggest issue is that it's slow... too slow for me).
Anyway, this is my first digital camera and I'm having a great time with it.

Jul 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add felgonza to your Buddy List
grega

Registered: Dec 22, 2003
Location: Slovenia
Review Date: May 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: price, good picture quality, quality of kit lens/price,
Cons:
slow Af and writing, turn on time,

I sold it 8 months ago got 20d but I would recommend it to anyone who is on the budge. Sure it has its limitations but for most times you can get great pictures out of it. And used one is very cheap. For me plastic body was not a problem at all. I used sigma 100-300 f4 with tc on it all the time and it didn't feel too weak for it. I made 15k+ shots with it and it is still working for the new owner.

If you don't need "action" camera and you are on the budget, buy it and invest the rest in the glass. Don't waist your time complaining how cheap its plastic is but rather go out and make some great photos.

May 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add grega to your Buddy List
libros1

Registered: May 9, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: NEW DISCOUNTED PRICE
Cons:
soft image's , very poor flash , no spot meter average at best view finder 18-55 standard lens very poor quality, slow start up, creative features lacking

Times are a changeing with digital cameras hopefuly
they well improve.
My 300d rebel broke 2 times in the first 14 days of owner ship, it has been the repair shop for 2.5 weeks After calling Canons help line the girl told me the contacts were more than likely dirty
after I explained the the camera was only 10 days old She sharply told me she would send me a e-mail address to send the camera
the camera was purchased at Wolf/Ritz camera they would offer no help in fact basicly told me I WAS ON MY OWN even a 10 day old camera ! they did not even offer to look at the unit ,simply saying they sold cameras only . A truly wonderful photo store!
I have friends in a local photo club and they have had problems with the 300d and some members report poor images from the Nikon 70 Even the canon 20 yes the 20 has had soft focus problems.

May 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add libros1 to your Buddy List
cezars

Registered: Mar 1, 2005
Review Date: May 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: quality/price ratio; features
Cons:
silver-colour body made of plastic (black would have been better)

I'm more than satisfied with this camera; I bought it about a year ago and almost never made any photography before. However, since I have that camera, I'm going to places I would've never been, and look at things differently.

Here are a few shots I took with this camera in the last year. For most of them, I used the 18-55mm zoom lens that came with the camera: http://cezars.deviantart.com/gallery/

If you're like me and never made serious photography before, I suggest buying the whole kit, with the 18-55mm zoom lens. It's not the best zoom I've seen, but it does the job well and is versatile. You can buy additional lens anytime and either sell the 18-55mm or use it in situations where you think your lens may be damaged (crowds, etc.)

Personally, I replaced the 18-55mm zoom lens with a 28-135, but it's bigger (and of course pricier) which makes the camera less portable. I also bought other lens for specific situations and a thing I like about this kind of camera (compared to Point and Shoot ones) other than the fact that you can change your lens is that you can control all the settings.

Finally, what I found out after buying it is that there's a "hacked" firmware on the internet that unlocks many features that were specific to the 10D and higher models (ISO 3200, Mirror lock, Shutter release without CF card, etc.) In other words, it's like having a 10D camera, for the price of a 300D. The only difference remains the body. But is it really worth hundreds of dollars? If you're curious, the address for the modified firmware is: http://satinfo.narod.ru/en/

May 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cezars to your Buddy List
matiasasun

Registered: Mar 16, 2005
Location: Chile
Review Date: Mar 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Comparative price. EOS Compatible & Canon Services. Used CF card. Battery last the whole day. Best to start comming from non-pro (Point&Shoot and higher) digital cameras.
Cons:
1º Only one wheel to choose manual A/S (This sucks sometimes). 2º 1.6 crop factor (compared to film). 3º Size and building quality might be an issue for some.

Price is so hiugh because I bought the camera outside the US. It is a great camera. My three "negative" aspects are just things that annoy me from time to time but none is a real reason to reject this camera as a choice. In every occasion the camera has come out with great pictures.

Mar 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add matiasasun to your Buddy List
EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Mar 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap.
Cons:
Plastic body, lack of features, no Sync socket.

I got this camera about 8 months after it was released and It was a awsome camera!

It started the revolution of affordable d/slr's and is still a good value camera.

The lack of some custom features can be overcome by the firmware hack available for download.

The picture quality is also quite good.
This camera is a good step into serious digital photography and makes a good buy now it has been replaced by the 350D.

If your on a budget this makes a good value step into the world of digital SLR photography!

Mar 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List

Canon EOS Rebel (300D)