Canon EF 28-105 F/3.5-4.5 II USM

118 314500 Sep 26, 2012
8.3
ef_28-105_35

Canon's mid-range 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 features ultrasonic ring focus motor, inner focus, rotating zoom (non-turning front element), and full time manual focus. 15 elements in 12 groups. 2.8 X 3 inches (72 X 75 mm), 375 grams. 58 mm filter.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8

Scott M

Registered: Jan 19, 2004
Review Date: Aug 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $229.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: size, focal range (zoom), AutoFocus is pretty fast (USM)
Cons:
not the sharpest tool in the shed...but not bad; needs flash indoors

It wouldn't be exactly fair to compare this lens to an L, which it isn't, but it is still a very good lens. In fact, it might be the best in its class (price and focal range). The Tamron 28-75 was worth a hard look, but AF speed was just not fast enough for me (sports). This is pretty much the case for all the other lenses in this class as well. The Canon 28-135 IS is a BIG lens with a bigger price tag, but really not that much better. You will probably need to use a flash indoors though (low light). And 28mm is not quite wide enough for all landscape work (you can stitch multiple shots though). But this lens is pretty much the perfect walk-around for me. Of course, if it was a 20-100mm F/2.8 USM with the same size/weight (and price) it would be absolutely perfect, but for what it is, it is pretty good. And IMHO it looks really nice (style-wise) on a 20D/10D/DR (without battery grip).

Here are some samples (resized for the web):

Aug 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Scott M to your Buddy List
dacop

Registered: Jun 23, 2004
Review Date: Jul 10, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $209.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images, Well constructed, Light weight, Fast AF, Inexpensive, Good overall range makes for a nice walk around lens.
Cons:

Great price, great lens, perfect combo. I use it on a Canon Digital Rebel and the images are great. The 28-105mm range is perfect for a walk around lens in my opinion. It's small, light, but still well constructed. I picked up a hood for it also. I highly recommend this lens.

Jul 10, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dacop to your Buddy List
digitalcanonpx

Registered: May 5, 2004
Review Date: Jun 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp most of the time, light weight, fast AF, quiet, non-rotating front element, price.
Cons:
nothing really exept does not come with a hood ..... about $25

Bought this lens as an up-grade for my Digital Rebel, the price was reasonable and since I'm a beginner at DSLR I didn't want to spend too much till I learn a little more. So far it has been great, It's light weight has fast AF and filters stay put thanks to the non-rotating front element. I would buy this lens again with no hesitation.

Overall this is a great street / everyday lens. I have some pix at :

Jun 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add digitalcanonpx to your Buddy List
agbl

Registered: Jun 1, 2004
Review Date: Jun 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Better walk-arround. Very good for outdoor photograpy.
Cons:
Bad in low-ligh conditions. Indoor need external flash.

This is the best lens to start with your SLR camera. (I think it is even better than the 28-135mm IS). It is very good for walk-arround, sharp enough in outdoor, indoor I do recommend external Flash. Also, I do recommend to use the hood ($20). You will be happy until you get your first 'L'. so, no doubts, you will be happy with this lens, there is no love/hate like the 28-135 IS have.

Jun 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add agbl to your Buddy List
xmishx

Registered: Jan 4, 2002
Review Date: May 18, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros:
Cons:

My view of this lens may be useless in that I got this lens when I purchased an A2 in the early 90's. When I used it with my D30, for a short time it worked well. Then I had some focus shift issues when I changed focal lengths. I returned the lens to Canon and it seemed to be a bit better, but I kept getting soft images. When I switched to the 10D, the lens was useless. I had it calibrated, but still soft focus. I do really wish the lens worked because the weight, size and versatility of the zoom range was great.

May 18, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add xmishx to your Buddy List
Tom_W

Registered: Jan 20, 2004
Review Date: Mar 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $220.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, inexpensive, good zoom range, sharp pictures under most conditions.
Cons:
A little flare and lost contrast in extreme backlit situations.

When one considers the price of around $225, this lens comes across as a great bargain. Very fast, quiet autofocus plus full-time manual focus make it easy to use. Pictures are very sharp and have high contrast, though there is some minor flare and contrast issues when the sun is near the back of the subject. Its a great walk-around lens, and is a good improvement over the usual "kit" lenses.

The lens falls somewhere between good and great - its not L glass, but its as good as, or better than any lens in its price range.

Mar 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom_W to your Buddy List

Canon EF 28-105 F/3.5-4.5 II USM