Canon EF 28-105 F/3.5-4.5 II USM

118 314482 Sep 26, 2012
8.3
ef_28-105_35

Canon's mid-range 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 features ultrasonic ring focus motor, inner focus, rotating zoom (non-turning front element), and full time manual focus. 15 elements in 12 groups. 2.8 X 3 inches (72 X 75 mm), 375 grams. 58 mm filter.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · 8  next

smac

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Dec 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $329.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Light, fairly compact, very versatile and surprisingly sharp.
Cons:

This was my 1st Canon lens, purchased at the recommendation of a National Geographic photographer (they prefer to travel light and unobtrusive) and I really loved it. It was very sharp and easy to use. I no longer have it (thank you thieves), but it has a fond place in my memories. Sharper than my 28-135mm.

Dec 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add smac to your Buddy List
photomarvin

Registered: Sep 23, 2005
Review Date: Nov 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, Sharpness, Contrast, Size oh and did I say Price!
Cons:
Not an 'L' and would be better if a bit wider. Not 2.8

Okay, so this is not a professional lense, nor is it meant to me. What it is however, is a gem. This lense is a rock solid performer and can be had used for under $200. This lense is a must for any beginner that wants to start out with decent glass but not lose all their cash.

I highly recommend this lense to any and everyone. I have been using for about 3 months now and have had a lot of fun with it. Sure it is not he fastest lense at this range, but it definitely not the slowest either!

Nov 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photomarvin to your Buddy List
aVOLanche

Registered: Apr 7, 2005
Review Date: Nov 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Performance Low cost Focusing ability
Cons:
Not quite an L Wish it was wider

When I got my XT,I got a body only.I had researched the net for a good walk-around lens for the purpose of learning to use the camera.With some reservations about focus issues,I bought a new 18-125mm Sigma.It was fairly sharp,but suffered from focus problems.It was noisy(no big deal),but worse,focused erratically.
So I went to Wolfe and compared it directly with the 28-135 and 28-105 f3.5/4.5 Canon lenses.These two lenses were both excellent focusers.And in the store,I took many photos with all 3 lenses.Both Canons were sharper than the Sigma.Other than the little extra reach and the IS,I thought the 28-105 was a better lens.So I sold the Sigma and bought a used 28-105.I wish I had known about this little gem from the start.It focused dead-on and instantly.It was sharper than the Sigma at all comparable focal lengths.It is compact,light enough,well built,has the "real"USM motor anf full-time manual focus....and definitely is a price bargain.It's my main lens.
I recently got an "L"(70-200f4) and now know what a really excellent lens can do.That makes me want the new 24-105 L.But at $1250???It will take a lot of convincing as capable as the 28-105 is.
Bottom line is that this lens is wayyyy underappreciated.I guess that's because it has been around a good while.This lens is.IMO,the best price/performance consumer lens that Canon makes.Very highly recommended.

Nov 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aVOLanche to your Buddy List
blutott

Registered: Jul 13, 2005
Review Date: Oct 20, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $159.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: inexpensive...
Cons:
soft, slow especially at higher focal ranges...

I picked this lens up used to replace my kit lens...after using it a few times I have went back to my kit lens and am using my 50mm prime more often... am just not happy w/my purchase...and am going to try to find something a bit faster, w/better glass, and probably spend a bit more money this time around...

Oct 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add blutott to your Buddy List
Vole

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Oct 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Almost as good as Canon's 'L' W/A zooms image-quality wise...USM focusing as good as it gets - Great price! Better value than any 'L' Lens in a similar zoom range. Light weight.
Cons:
Probably best to stick to the 28-80mm range. Can get soft(ish) @ 105mm - Would be nice if build was just a tad better, but waaaay better than the 18-55mm 'Kit Lens' it's likely to replace.

Just to echo most of the other reviews really. A super little Lens and fantastic value. I'm rating it a '10' not because it's the best Lens in the world, but because it's the best Canon W/A zoom you can buy at this price! (probably)

Buy one even if you don't need one!

Oct 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Vole to your Buddy List
JoeSchmoe007

Registered: Jun 18, 2005
Review Date: Sep 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price, picture quality @f8 in 35-105 range
Cons:
Picture quality @ 28mm

[I have non-II version, about 7 years old, but they seem to be the same optically]

This is really hidden treasure in Canon lens lineup. Picture quality is suprisingly good @f8 in 35-105mm range. Not so good @ 28mm, didn't test closely in 28-35mm range

I will be using it on Canon XT in conjunction with Canon 17-40L to cover wide end. I tested 28-105 vs 2 copies of Canon 17-85IS and 28-105 has noticeably better picture quality at most focal lengths.

Sep 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JoeSchmoe007 to your Buddy List
recordproducti

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Sep 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: It can produce excellent results.
Cons:
But only some of the time.

This lens gets me hot and cold. Some days I am impressed at it's performance then others barely have a single shot to keep. I've been using it for several months and have yet to figure why this is.

I find it's (when compared to the 50mm f/1.4 which may not be fair) lacking in colour saturation and detail but it's able to amaze me some times.

For the moment it will be staying in my bag as it can be very useful.

Sep 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add recordproducti to your Buddy List
veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: • Excellent build • Good features, including full-time manual focus • Excellent value
Cons:
None that I can think of

I don't know if I got an extremely good sample of this lens or if others who rate it less highly got less-than-good samples, but I am very happy with the 28-105...pleasantly surprised by both the quality of the build and the final pics. I can't give it an Overall 10 or rate the Build as a 10 because it isn't a true 10; not when compared to some of my better and far costlier lenses. But it comes awfully close! That's why it gets a 10 for price. I think it's a tremendous value.

Yes, there are times when I wish the lens was slightly faster, slightly sharper and could go a hair wider and a hair longer. But most of the time...I'd say 99% of the time...it suits my needs just fine and gives me results very close to my 70-200 f4L; indeed, sometimes the results are even better than my 70-200 f4L! Fortunately, I'm using the lens with an EOS 10D, a camera that is quite forgiving even at ISO 1600. I never hesitate to turn that camera up to 800 when speed is needed in low-light situations, and I often MUST go to ISO 800 when using this lens.

I almost always focus manually with the 28-105. I find there's a critical improvement in sharpness if you fine-tune after using the lens in AF mode. And I do sometimes find the contrast and color saturation wanting. But both of these characteristics have almost always been easily corrected in PhotoShop or other processing apps. The contrast and saturation isn't ever that far off the mark; not with my sample anyway.

Is it the ultimate in sharpness? No. Does it capture every ounce of detail in a scene or situation? No. If you were to look at quality prints of quality pictures taken through this lens, would you suspect they were taken with a $230 consumer zoom? No.

Sep 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List
gkveton

Registered: May 14, 2005
Review Date: Aug 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp and lightweight. Convenient zoom range. Excellent value for the money.
Cons:
Can be sensitive to flare.

This is a great lens and perhaps gives the best bang for the buck of any Canon lens except for the 50mm f1.8. I have shot about 500 pictures, mostly outside, since getting it two weeks ago. Very good color and sharpness. I love the size, zoom range and weight. The only negative I have found is that in certain situations, contrast is reduced due to flare (even with a hood). Focus is fast and right on the mark. I must have a good copy since this zoom is very close in sharpness to my Canon 85mm f1.8. My 50mm f1.8 is sharper and a bit more color saturated. I now use this lens most of the time on my 20D. Eventually I will go for an L, but for now, this lens is all I need.

Aug 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gkveton to your Buddy List
Fred n AZ

Registered: Jul 28, 2005
Review Date: Aug 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $260.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: lightweight, fast focusing, sharp and affordable
Cons:
Plastic construction

Took the advise from the reviews posted here and glad I did.
This little lens has a lot of bang for the buck, superfast focus, construction is sturdy (plastic eechh!) and images are quite sharp. At it's min focal length @3.5 it's a little soft but the images are totally usable, a little sharpening and the clean right up. At max length with the app. @4.5 were nice and sharp, on par with the 50mm 1.8. Overall I don't think you could find a better lens for the money anywhere. My only problem is it's made out of plastic. the mount is metal at least and time will tell if it starts to get sloppy

Aug 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred n AZ to your Buddy List
24Peter

Registered: May 4, 2005
Review Date: Jul 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $230.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp. Small/lightweight. Sharp. Nice zoom range. Sharp. Great construction. Sharp. Cheap.:-)
Cons:
Maybe it could be a little faster? f/2.8-4?

I bought this lens several months ago for my Rebel XT and was immediately impressed. But as the months passed, I thought maybe there's something better out there.

So I tried the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 Xi. Sharp lens. Good contrast. But - like many others have posted terribly soft at f/2.8-5 at the low end of the zoom. Sent it back to Tamron - got a refund.

Then I tried the Canon 28-135 IS. Definitely soft wide open at all focal lengths and apetures. Gets slow very quickly. Already at f/5.6 by 60mm but didn't really matter since need to be at f/8. Little on the heavy side. Expensive.

Then I tried the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG. Soft at the either end of the zoom range wide open (esp. soft at 70mm f/2.8-4) plus weird contrast problems as apeture changed in middle of zoom. Very heavy. Weird zoom/focus rings. Expensive.

Finally I tried the Sigma 105 f/2.8 EX DG macro. Very nice optically. Sharpest lens I tried. (I also have the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II and the Sigma was easily as sharp even at f/2.8) Ultimately though the Canon 28-105 was a close enough second at 105mm in terms of sharpness that not being a macro guy I couldn't really justify keeping the Sigma. (I also was getting weird apeture "00" errors in the LED when using the Sigma.) Returned it.

So I'm left with the kit lens, the Canon 28-105 (which works great with the cheap Tamron 1.4X TC BTW), Canon 50mm 1.8 II and Canon 75-300 USM IS. Glad I ddin't' sell the 28-105. It's a great lens on the XT.

Jul 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add 24Peter to your Buddy List
MARTHIN

Registered: Apr 18, 2005
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Jun 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $267.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Good focal range for walkabout, great construction, very nice, good price

Jun 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MARTHIN to your Buddy List
walter23

Registered: Jan 30, 2005
Review Date: Jun 15, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $250.00

Pros: Incredibly sharp, light, useful focal length range, sturdy. Fast focusing.
Cons:
None really worth mentioning.

Below is the text of my previous review. I'm not sure if this one will replace it, or if it will still be listed. Anyway, I have the following update. I have since purchased a dSLR (350D / digital rebel XT) which offers, among other things, the opportunity to scrutinize my lenses in a way I have never dreamt of with film (for better or worse).

This only confirms my observations that this lens is very very sharp! It compares very favourably in resolution to my 50mm f/1.8, especially at around f/5.6 and higher. I thought I would not make use of this focal length range so much on a dSLR (not wide enough) but honestly, it's the lens I use most often (out of a 50, a fisheye, and the 18-55 kit lens), just because the results are always so beautifully sharp.

I've even dropped it - broke the polarizer that was attached, even. Still working beautifully.

===
I got this lens in a package deal with my first film SLR, an elan 7n. Yes I'm am amateur, but I'm not an idiot. This lens is sharp and well built for a lens in its price range. Overall image quality is comparable to my 50mm prime. It feels solid and the mechanical focus ring and zoom work smoothly and solidly. The USM autofocus motor is very fast and very quiet.

There is very slight barrel distortion at 28mm, but nothing dramatic, and certainly much better than other comparably priced zooms I've looked at. In most situations it is not even noticable - the only time I've ever detected it was when photographing a thunderstorm in the prairies, where I placed the perfectly straight horizon near the very bottom of the frame. In this case the emphasis was on the cloud formations, so the slightly curved horizon didn't matter to me. I've photographed ocean scenes with more traditional composition (horizon ~1/3rd up from bottom) without appreciable distortion.

It's very light, and again it's cheap. Perfect for daily use. I don't anticipate replacing it for a long time.

Jun 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add walter23 to your Buddy List
hogband

Registered: Apr 4, 2005
Review Date: May 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Size, nice sharpness, smooth focusing.
Cons:
Wish it were a 2.8 but I can't afford that!

I just used this lense for a wedding. I had to send in my 10D and 24-90 POS lense and Canon CPS sent me a 10D and this lense. I absolutely loved it. I'm shooting another wedding this week and will purchase one real soon.

May 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hogband to your Buddy List
David Lozoya

Registered: Jan 9, 2002
Review Date: May 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $240.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size/weight, fast focusing, price, sharpness...for the money its hard to beat
Cons:
soft at both extreme ends

I just bought this little gem for my son's D60. Couldn't be happier. I searched far and wide for an affordable mid-range lens for his D60...and I found it. Color, sharpness and mechanics are very good...if you consider the price point. Will add that you cannot expect L glass performance, but for the price it’s the next best alternative. The lens is very capable and produces sharp, contrasty images. Wide open its soft at the extreme ends, stopping down it sharpens predictably. From 35-90 or so you get the sweet spot. As with all lenses you may have to shop around to find a good copy. Rated it a 9 due to its ability to perform nicely at the $240 price point. Hard to beat...

May 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add David Lozoya to your Buddy List
SheepDog

Registered: May 7, 2005
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $250.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp when stopped down to f/8. Light weight. Very satisfying color at mid-range. Fast USM. Good zoom range.
Cons:
Very soft when wide open. Don't shoot at 105mm unless you really have to. Poor color saturation and resolution at the tele end.

It's probably the "cheapest good lens" you can get. The performance per dollar ratio is unbeatable. I had so much great experience with this lens, but make sure you don't push it to its limits. At wide apertures and at 105mm, you are wasting your film (or memory space if you are on digital). In my opinion, this lens performs at its best around 35-85mm and around f/8.

After switching to a 24-70/2.8L, I truly miss this lens. It's very light in my palm, and my hands never got sore after hours of continuous shooting. I wished I could get this lens back and get a 17-40/4L instead of a 24-70/2.8L.

Construction wise, this lens is on par with some other consumer zooms, which is satisfying.

Whether you are a beginner or a developing photographer, this lens will meet your many demands.

May 18, 2005