Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

264 638871 Aug 21, 2014
ef100_400l_1_

L-series super telephoto zoom lens equipped with an Image Stabilizer. The fluorite and Super UD-glass elements largely eliminate secondary spectrum. The floating system also ensures high picture quality at all focal lengths. The Image Stabilizer has two modes and it is compatible with Extenders 1.4x II and 2x II.

postcardcv

Registered: Feb 27, 2007
Review Date: Jul 18, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: swift AF, good IQ, IS, zoom range...
Cons:
none at the price

I was wanting a walkabout lens for bird photography and was set on the 400 f5.6 until I got a really good deal on a used 100-400 IS. I decided to try it, asssuming I'd sell it on in a few months and buy the prime.

However I will not be selling this lens! The zoom range and IS make it an ideal walkabout lens and the MFD is a real advantage over the prime. With an extension tube this is a fantastic lens for shooting butterflies. I'd read all the horror stories of how soft this lens can be so was very pleased to find I had a good copy. Bird shot at 400mm, f5.6 1/125th still show good feather detail, so it's sharp enough for my use.

It is a very well built lens and is and ideal size/weight to hand hold. The push-pull zoom took a bit of getting used to, but now I really like it, it makes it very easy to zoom while tracking a bird in flight.

Jul 18, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add postcardcv to your Buddy List
simplesachin

Registered: Dec 1, 2006
Location: India
Review Date: Jul 12, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Good Range, IS, built like a tank.
Cons:
Weight

Was looking at buying the 300 f/4L IS and probably add a TC later but at the time of buying figured this probably would be a better bet.
I was so right, probably the 300 f/4 would've been lighter but the range this lens covers is phenomenal, almost like a one lens solution. This lens keep getting bad reviews all over the net by pixel peepers but in reality this lens produces some really nice images.
I loved the push-pull mechanism on the first day i used it.
I use this on a 30D so with this lens mounted on the setup is kinda heavy, something you'll have to get used to but i guess this is the price to pay for an L lens :-)

Jul 12, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add simplesachin to your Buddy List
berghaus

Registered: Oct 14, 2005
Review Date: Jul 4, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Push Pull Zoom I Love...Size for Carrying...Sharp with Good Light...Fantastic on 1.6 Crop Camera...Image Stab...Price for what you get
Cons:
FOR ME (NONE)

I bought this lens second hand, it had not had a lot of use and was in mint condition, and came with 77mm Hoya Pro UV filter, from the first click of the camera I was impressed with the results so long as there is a fair amount of light, as I like to shoot at low ISO if pos..
I use it mainly as a wildlife/birding lens but also distant landscapes which also are very good, I also use it with a 1.4 Kenko convertor which works very well, I paid 700 for this and it is under 1 year old, the images are as good as my 70 200 F2.8L non IS and that is pretty impressive, when I was buying there was NO way I thought it could compete with the image quality of the 70 200 but maybe I have managed to pick up the best 100 400 on the planet I don't take it of the camera.
My other lens is 24 105 F4 IS which I also love, I must be lucky with Canon glass, or Canon do know how to produce top lenses.
If you are thinking of buying one....GO FOR IT YOU WILL LOVE IT.
I also use it for vintage aircraft WICKED!!!!!!

Jul 4, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add berghaus to your Buddy List
Melanie Rose

Registered: Jun 28, 2007
Review Date: Jun 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Range, push/pull zoom (I also like this as it suits my needs), sharpness, IS.
Cons:

As an aviation photographer, this lens is mandatory! My subjects are extremely far away and mobile, so panning and zooming must be precise, and this is the glass to do it with.

The only downside is that it sometimes leaves you wishing for an extra 50mm or so Wink

Jun 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Melanie Rose to your Buddy List
FatBoyAl

Registered: Sep 4, 2005
Review Date: May 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, focal range, IS, push-pull zoom (really!)
Cons:
Weight, older IS system

I bought my copy used back in October of 2006. I used it a couple of times and was initially very frustrated. I really didn't have good long lens technique and consequently, I wasn't getting clear shots. After spending $1250, I was expecting clear shots! Finally, I took some time, slowed down and used a tripod. I got some really nice pictures.
Sadly, I sold the lens last month (April, 2007) in order to finance other lenses. My thought at the time was that I wasn't really going to continue to shoot birds. I have some mobility issues and if you can't get around, it's difficult to get good birds shots. What I didn't realize at the time was just how versitile this lens is.
Sports - especially watersports and airshows are also the domain of this wonderful lens. I have done nothing but pine for it since it's departure.
I plan to take care of that later this month and buy a new one. Probably cost me a bit extra, but damn, I miss this big boy! Which is perhaps the one negative - WEIGHT. Make no mistake, trying to handhold this bugger at 400mm is near impossible. At least for me. It's heavy. It's long. And even with IS, it will bounce all over the place. And I'm still going to buy it again.

May 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add FatBoyAl to your Buddy List
retrofocus

Registered: Apr 19, 2007
Review Date: Apr 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,452.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp lens throughout the whole zoom range. Excellent built quality. Allows perfect use from average to full tele zoom range. Image stabilizer (IS) included. Reliable AF.
Cons:

I mostly use this lens for doing wildlife photography (e.g. birds), but also for close-up photography of objects difficult to come close enough. With the Rebel XT, the 100-400mm range in fact gets a 160-640mm lens (1.6x crop factor of the camera).

The lens allows several options to choose from depending on your photography habits. I sometimes use it mounted on a tripod (switching off the IS), but especially for wildlife photography I prefer more flexibility and always use it with the full IS turned on. The IS is pretty good - even at the long focus end it leads to sharp pictures. Then I only recommend doing a sequence of 3-4 pics of the same object - later when reviewing the photos enlarged on your PC you will see that some pics are a tiny bit sharper than others.

The AF works very well, too. You only have to estimate the distance of your object to use the focus switch for either smaller or larger distances. This allows the AF to find your aimed object faster and more reliable.

This is a push/pull zoom lens - in my opinion nothing to worry about. I personally like the option to change the zoom range fast between near and long end of the zoom. With a ring you can also adjust the simplicity to push/pull. This ring sits close to the manually adjustable focus ring - when turning one of these rings, you might sometimes turn the other neighboring one, too.

The lens is heavy, but very solid built. Considering the quality and comparing the price with other Canon prime tele lenses it is a very good choice giving a lot of flexibility in the focal length and a certainly comparable sharpness.

Apr 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add retrofocus to your Buddy List
Rusty1

Registered: Oct 5, 2004
Review Date: Apr 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Versatile range, good color/contrast, Image stabilization, solid build, close minimum focus distance, good balance of price/performance/weight
Cons:
Slow aperture

Actually for a 4x zoom this is a very good compromise. Excellent color and contrast. Wide open 400mm images with some USM are more than acceptable. I found F8 to F11 to indeed be the sweet spot for this lens. The push-pull zoom is not an issue for me, I like it.

Best used outdoors in daylight. A great choice for baseball, football/soccer, parades, zoo trips, air shows and the like. Lacks the reach and focus speed to be a true birding lens.

Yes it is a slow lens, but remember the Nikon 200-400 F4 zoom while a great lens weighs 7lbs, is 14in long and cost $5,000 usd.

Apr 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rusty1 to your Buddy List
James Sawle

Registered: Jan 28, 2007
Review Date: Mar 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $989.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap for what it does, and especially as it is an 'L' series lens, Very versatile, quick to zoom when unlocked and great fun to use.
Cons:
Zoom Mechanism is a pain, the locking ring is annoying, and can be a little soft above 300mm in low light, but these are VERY minor gripes.

I was so glad to see this lens on offer over christmas, (2005) that I could not refuse it, It was at the time my only big lens, and since then it has been added to with a 70-200, and a 600mm Prime. But when I am not enjoying Macro, this is the next most used lens.

The 'Only' real pain of this lens is the zoom locking ring, I normally leave this in the unlocked position, but if you are walking around this could end up causing the lens some damage, as if you forget that it is unlocked and then move the camera from one direct to another without thinking, the lens could shoot open or smash closed, and this has happened a few times, although no damage has been caused, this is a rather expensive piece of glass, and should be taken care of, so my view here is to either lock the zoom when you are moving around, or keep your hand on the zoom to keep it from moving around to much.

But that said, this is a FUN lens, I have taken some cracking shots, even with a 1.4x and/or a 2x extenders added to the lens, though for this it needs to be a sunny day.

That said, this lens does need light, do not expect it to perform as good or anywhere near as good as a 300 or 400mm prime lens, and the sharpness is not as good as the 70-200 f2.8, but it is still better than some other lenses in the Canon range.

I do love this lens, I do wish the zoom function was a normal twist type, but that said I have managed to zoom from 100 to 400mm and back again a lot quicker than any other lens, and this has helped a lot, I do not rate this as a Pro (Money Shot) type of lens, though I have sold a quite a few images taken with this lens, but for Wildlife and Sports (Motorbike Racing especially) I think this lens is just great, it is cheaper than a 400mm prime, and can reach further than a 70-200mm (even with a 2x added), the weight is not that bad, some do seem to complain about this, but after using this lens a lot, you get use to it so quickly.

Overall, It is worth the money, but only if you have the light to take advantage of it, if you are looking at low light, then look at the 70-200mm f2.8, if you want fun and versatility, then this is it. I certainly do not regret buying it, and I will not ever sell it on, well not unless they bring out another that can handle a lower f stop.

Mar 15, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add James Sawle to your Buddy List
Ron Fischer

Registered: Jul 5, 2006
Review Date: Mar 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,300.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast Focus, Sharp, Versatile, Great Build
Cons:
Heavy, Locking mechanism

After long study, and reading just about every review I could find, I recently purchased this lens in combination with the Canon 5D. I have not been disappointed so far. While the lens is heavy, and the lock mechanism can be a pain, the lens has performed very well under various conditions (including cold weather). I have used the lens both with the 5D and with my Canon 350D. You can see some of the images I captured with this lens on my web gallery at:

For an example of a cold weather capture, see this image:

I have been pleased with the sharpness of the lens at various focal lengths. I will post another review after I have had a chance to use the lens in warmer weather conditions.

Mar 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ron Fischer to your Buddy List
radiodenver

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Feb 25, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build, versitle, good optics.
Cons:
Price, poor locking mechanism.

Another one of those lenses from Canon that gets no respect. Many people complain and call this lens the "dust-pump." I gave this lens a test drive about a year ago and had no problems shooting with it during that test in the mountains of Colorado. After a recent debate in the forums here concerning this lens, I decided to purchase the lens. I'm happy with my decision. I use it on the 5D, 30D, Rebel Xt and the EOS 3. It works fine on each of these bodies and gives good results. Not quite as sharp as the prime lenses, it nonetheless performs as expected for L grade glass. Vignetting on the full frame body is minimal and no where near as bad as the Sigma 80-400 OS (which is about the only competition for this particular model.) This lens is a little less heavy than the Sigma, is sharper and autofocus is a cut above the Sigma.

Overall, there is no better lens on the market for this range with IS and good optics. Highly recommended by me.

Feb 25, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add radiodenver to your Buddy List
seattlesteve

Registered: Oct 1, 2005
Review Date: Feb 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,375.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice range, versatile, sharp for a zoom of this range, good color/contrast, typical L quality build
Cons:
Heavy

One of the first comments people ask is about the push/pull zoom. It's not tough to get used to. After one day shooting it was just as natural as a twisting zoom mechanism. The copy I have is surprisingly sharp. I was prepared to give up some IQ compared to the 70-200 series, but it's not far off the mark. I was especially ready to give up a lot of IQ when shooting wide open throughout the range, but that hasn't been a problem either.

It's heavy and fairly big so you may need to look into getting a new bag. Another issue that I've seen come up is dust. I've only used the lens for about a month and I haven't seen any problems so far.

It's a very versatile lens that I'd recommend to anyone.

Feb 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add seattlesteve to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Feb 2, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,200.00

Pros: convenient focal range, sharpness, IS, AF speed and accuracy, price, weight
Cons:
QC variation, push/pull design

Over the years, I have owned 5 different copies of this lens. My first was extremely sharp but I sold it to finance for something else. Since then, I have tried 3 additional copies but none was as good as the first until recently. My 5th and current copy is superb.

I love this lens. I don't care what people said about zooms. I am a "zoom" shooter and this lens fits my shooting style perfectly. AF is quick and snappy on both my 5D and 1DII. Sharpness is awesome at wide open and every FL.

My two main complaints are the QC variation b/t different copies. The other complaint is the push/pull style. I would much prefer the twist zoom ring like the 70-200 2.8L or the Nikon 200-400 VR.

This is a wonderful lens for nature/wildlife photography. To some, it might be a bit short but for me, it fits the bill! Great lens!

Feb 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
Tom Steele

Registered: Dec 15, 2006
Review Date: Jan 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Simply astonishing IQ handheld at 400mm. This is a great lens for under $1,500 and 400mm reach.
Cons:
A bit heavy. Push pull design is less than ideal, but usable.

I am simply astonished at the IQ of this lens. I can take handheld shots at 400mm and get crisp shots every time. As is typical of the L series lenses, color is vibrant and sharp every time. For the price, this is simply an amazing lens for what you get.

The only downsides as I see it are the weight, which isn't terrible but I wouldn't call this a walking around lens, and the push pull design. I don't find it to be the overwhelmingly distracting irritant that some users seem to find it to be, but it isn't as nice as a rotating ring.

I guess it could be faster too, but then the size and price would go up.

While I'm at it, the "locking" mechanism isn't ideal, but the tightening ring is usable.

Overall, an incredible bargain for the money. If you are looking at the 300 f/4 IS, the 400 f/5.6 and this lens, then it really boils down to application. With the 400 prime, you may get a tiny bit better IQ and bokeh, but no IS and no 100-399 range. The 300 f/4 IS is faster and has IS, but doesn't reach to 400. This lens has it all, with only the push pull, slightly more jagged bokeh and slower aperture as the tradeoffs. I was pleased with this choice.

Jan 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom Steele to your Buddy List
HamishHamilton

Registered: Jan 8, 2007
Review Date: Jan 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, build, IS, Sharpness, Range, Sharpness.
Cons:
Dust Sucker.

I don't have much to say that hasn't been said. When I shoot with this lens on my 20D I have a relatively inexpensive 640mm 5.6 lens and on my 5D the sharpness, contrast and colors are fantastic. It just makes you want to shoot more...

Jan 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add HamishHamilton to your Buddy List
John Abbey

Registered: Jan 6, 2007
Review Date: Jan 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Pretty decent sharpness and zoom range make this a great lens. IS helps a lot.
Cons:
A little soft at 400mm at 5.6. Weight.

I purchased this lens because I wanted more reach than my Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L could provide. Although it is not as sharp as my 70-200, it is pretty close especially when stopped down a bit. I had the Canon EF 400mm F/5.6L but sold it to finance this lens. It is not as sharp as the prime but much more useful to me. The large zoom range and image stabilizer is what made me buy it. A lot of people complain about the push/pull zoom, but I actually like it as it is much faster. I am very happy with this lens. You can see some examples at:

Jan 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add John Abbey to your Buddy List
Nickland.org

Registered: Dec 3, 2006
Review Date: Jan 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great range, high focal lenght for a zoom, f/4-5.6, IS, USM, L
Cons:
ring (poor stability), it gets too long at 400mm (but both light cons)

This is one of the best, in my opinion, lens, telezoom lens for wildlife... ok this is not a prime lens, but it offers a great focal lenght range, high luminosity, and a powerful image stabilizer... It's quite portable, and easy to user...! 400mm it's a good focal for wildlife, and outdoor events! Even for sport events! Great lens, it's almost a "must" for me!

Jan 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nickland.org to your Buddy List

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM