Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

264 641894 Aug 21, 2014
ef100_400l_1_

L-series super telephoto zoom lens equipped with an Image Stabilizer. The fluorite and Super UD-glass elements largely eliminate secondary spectrum. The floating system also ensures high picture quality at all focal lengths. The Image Stabilizer has two modes and it is compatible with Extenders 1.4x II and 2x II.

HMZRHS

Registered: Apr 10, 2007
Location: Brunei
Review Date: Aug 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Versatile
Cons:

Easy, i won't complaint but since i have 2 bodies viz, 1D mkII & 1Ds mkIII it always sits at the dry box.Overall it is fast lens especially sports football and motoGP

Aug 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add HMZRHS to your Buddy List
hexbeam

Registered: Aug 20, 2008
Review Date: Aug 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Clean crips sharp images. Well Built, fast focus.
Cons:

I love the results of this lens. I originally wanted the 70 to 200 F2.8 IS which I did purchase anyway. I rarely use it. This has become my main lens. I do a lot of outdoor shooting and this is my favorite lens.
As for the push-pull, you get used to it very quickly and its easy to adjust and use. I have had excellent shots on subjects I did not think I would get the shot at all. Would be nice if it were an F2.8 but when it gets darker I grab the other lens.
The extended reach of this lens on a crop sensor is great. even using a 1.4 Tele-Converter (manual focus only) you can get crisp clean shots. I shot side by side with a 300 F4 and end results, this lens won hands down.
For the price of this lens compared to the 70 - 200 F2.8 IS this is a clear winner. I prefer to be on the end of this lens capturing that grizzley rather than the others I have and still get the clean, colourful crisp shot.
I guess I have a newer version as I have been told the images were soft. I have yet to capture that experience. With my main camera,you will rarely see any other lens hanging off of it. I bought the Kenko tube set and have not touched my Macro lens since.

Aug 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hexbeam to your Buddy List
susi

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Aug 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp thru entire range, light for a white, versatile
Cons:

I owned this lens a few years ago and just did not think it was all that sharp at 400. I sold it to buy the 300 f/4 and the 400 f/5 but became frustrated with having to run back and forth to try and get the shot I wanted. I heard the new 100-400's were sharper than the older ones, so I bought a new one a few months back and covered high school track with it. I was really surprised at how sharp the images came out!! I stopped using my 300 and 400 (even though they were sharp, they were not versatile) so sold them and decided this lens is a keeper! Very pleased with the images I am getting on my 1DMKIII with this lens!
The push-pull doesn't bother me at all and is easy to adjust to.
Also pleased that this lens is easy to hand hold for hours without any fatique. Very important to me as a female without much upper body strength!

Aug 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add susi to your Buddy List
Paragon

Registered: Aug 11, 2008
Review Date: Aug 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! Even wide open at f5.6. Versatility. Image stabilizer fast and responsive, works great. Built to last. AF very fast at 100mm (slower at 400). Very good close focus performance. Good deal for the price.
Cons:

Before buying this lens I read many many forum postings, reviews, discussions and experience reports. Most were positive but some complained about various issues. Here is a list of my personal comments based on my experience with special regard to these reoccurring issues.

1. Push-pull zoom: It does take some getting used to but is not an issue after that. In fact if you use FTM regularly this is much better than a twist-zoom.
2. Any lens that changes length can potentially blow dust into the camera. Dust sealing is near perfect with this lens though and I haven't had any problems. Changing lenses often causes dust to enter the camera, not changing the focal length of this lens.
3. Mine is so sharp wide open at 400mm that it clearly outperforms the camera sensor's resolution (20D, 8MP, Bayer sensor). It is absolutely tack sharp at all settings. The only blurry I ever got was due to camera shake. I think Canon has, over the years, developed a perfect production process here.
4. I don't think the lens is outdated. It is still the most versatile telezoom offered by Canon (though the Sigmas offer similar focal lengths and OS), Canon may have brought their production process to perfection and possibly even updated some coatings and the IS system.
5. Maybe the IS system is not as good as the system in the 70-200 f4 IS but 3 f-stops is realistic here, too. Don't forget that this is a 400 mm lens. It is absolutely incredible what the IS can do.
6. Vignetting wide open: negligible on a 1.6 crop.
7. Price: You pay less than what you get with this one. The comparable but cheaper Sigmas all seem to perform worse from what I have heard.
8. The white finish may be too obtrusive for some. I bought a lens coat that gives some protection, too.

My verdict: If you have been thinking about buying this lens, do it. There is no better choice and you won't regret it. Checking a lens' performance is easy nowadays and manufacturers cannot afford to produce bad copies. If you feel uneasy without checking (as I did), then do it. But don't forget to enjoy taking photos. And don't worry about the weight. It is well worth carrying. Every time I take it on a hike, I return with several stunning photos.

Highly recommended.

Aug 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Paragon to your Buddy List
Simon S

Registered: May 20, 2005
Review Date: Aug 9, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Versatile Airshow/Wildlife lens A good copy is great IS works well handheld
Cons:
QA issues Heavy Slide zoom does pull in dust. Some copies a bit soft.

After a recent failure of this lens I returned it to Canon UK for repair. There is a known problem that affects some of these lenses where the zoom jams and needs stripping down for repair.
I asked the technician to check to see if he could recover some sharpness at the 400mm end as although not poor, the image is always soft at any aperture.
The lens was returned within a week and the optics are far sharper across the whole range of the lens.
So if yours is a bit soft, it might me worth sending it to Canon for a clean and tweak!

Aug 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Simon S to your Buddy List
Dreamliner

Registered: Jul 11, 2007
Location: Greece
Review Date: Aug 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Range, performance, built quality.
Cons:
Push-pull zooming need to get used to it...again !

I just bought this lens after a period of thinking. I was afraid about QC issues, because of a friends bad experience of this lens, but it turned to be more than a good copy for me. I tested it immediately against my 70-200/2,8L and my 400/5,6L and found it to have very good optical performance, very-very close to these excellent lenses. It performs very well on my 1DII and my 40D both in AF and optical terms. The AF is slightly less fast compared to the 400 prime but sufficient for aircraft shooting. The IS helps a lot in order to have motion blur to the propellers. The only thing that I have to get used to ( again ) is the push-pull zooming ( the last lens I had with push-pull zooming was the 1994 Nikkor AF 80-200/2,8D ED ). I 've already sold my 70-200/4 IS in order to finance the purchase of this baby -kept the 2,8L which is better- and now the 400/5,6L has to go. I'm more than happy with the 100-400 !

Aug 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dreamliner to your Buddy List
godfreyz

Registered: Feb 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,360.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent IQ throughout the entire focal range. Very fast autofocus and balances nicely on the 40D.
Cons:
Weight.

Just got this lens based on some recommendations from owners of this lens. This lens is extremely sharp throughout the entire focal range. I was very surprised to see the sharpness at 400mm. The push pull type zoom is easy to use. Colors are fantastic. The only negative that I have experienced is the weight of the lens and I must emphasize that it is a very small negative. I highly recommend this lens.

Jul 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add godfreyz to your Buddy List
Chubbs

Registered: Nov 14, 2005
Review Date: Jul 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Big and beautiful, absolutely the business unless you have thousands to spend on 300 or 400 low f-stop primes
Cons:
You really need to learn how to use this lens. It is heavy and won't balance well on entry type cameras

Absolutely beautiful lens. Push-pull put me off for about a year. Once I had used it I realised I had been silly. If possible go try this lens at you local shop before you buy, then you will realise that you will want all your zooms to be push -pull. There is a learning curve with this lens. It does need a lot of light and will not be suitable for indoor events unless very well lit). I use it on my 40d (with battery grip) and find it very well balanced. Do be aware that you will be VERY obvious if using this, lens as with lens hood attached it is a 'sore thumb'. I was also looking at the f5.6 prime and I am glad I went for this lens because the range is so useful. I have also used it with a 1.4x converter which kind of turns it into a telescope on a 40d! You need a pretty static subject for this and also beware that even with tripod (slik 700 pro dx which is a heavy tripod) even a very light breeze can cause blurring (esp. with lens hood attached) so use a timer or remote relaese. I really can't recommend this lens enough. The only reason I gave it an overall 9 is because you really need to spend time with the lens to learn it. It is NOT a 35mm prime;)

Jul 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chubbs to your Buddy List
Vishal

Registered: Feb 3, 2008
Location: India

Pros: Build Quality, Fast AF, Silent, 'Very Marginally' Soft over 300mm (depending on the shooting environment & weather), Sharp otherwise, Excellent Colour Reproduction & Contrast.
Cons:
Weight - but then almost all tele-photo's in this range are about just as heavy, the push-pull zoom takes a little getting used to buts thts alright, not the most ideal focal length to begin with (at 100mm), Price ? ;)

Its quite a lens if you're well built & have big hands.

Its weight & the push-pull zoom mechanism would take a bit of time getting used to however they're no REAL drawbacks as such.

The push-pull zoom well, it also has a tension/lock ring in place to prevent the barrel from fully extending outwards if pointed downwards now, it can be a bit tricky if you are shooting something below you from an elevated point as if you lock the ring too tightly then you wont be able to zoom in or out smoothly or perhaps not at all & if you leave it too loose then well it 'may' slide down a little while you're shooting and/or when left unguarded.

I would've ideally liked the focal length beginning somewhere around 50-70mm instead of 100mm which sort-of limits its usage to distant objects (arguable) however, its quite nice uptill 'about' 300mm before losing slight amount of sharpness (fixable in Photoshop though).

ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING I'D LIKE TO STRESS ON is that like most lenses that i've personally used, they all tend to produce excellent & very sharp images of objects which are close & zoomed-in on at maximum focal length (refer the photos in the link below of airplane nose close-ups) whereas, upon zooming-in on objects at a distance to fill a frame at max focal length they (the photos) tend to lose a 'little' sharpness depending upon the haze in the air as well as the temprature - heat haze if you are shooting in warm conditions at a high focal length.

AF is quite quick & accurate.

A true zoom range of 160-640mm on a 1.6x crop body is fantastic however, you'd need a steady hand to harness this telescope well Wink

Click here for the photos I shot with the 100-400L

Smile Cheers - Vishal Jolapara Smile

Jul 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Vishal to your Buddy List
Joe Hunt

Registered: May 21, 2004
Review Date: Jul 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,256.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid workhorse lens, good build, a little soft @400mm but can be sharpened with a tight fstop. Delivers sharp images in the middle zoom ranges and at 100mm. Good color saturation and I get some nice bokeh as well. IS is a nice add, helps on the long shots if you need it.
Cons:
None really, this is a tank and I like it.

I picked this lens up after reading about it here on FM. I thought about it long and hard before buying one. I'll be honest...I shot some real crap the first month or so, before I knew what I was doing. Once Ihad a handle on it I'm very satistfied with it. Just wish it was a 500 : ^).

I went on safari in East Africa here are some sample shots:

Jul 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joe Hunt to your Buddy List
Nello Milanese

Registered: Sep 22, 2007
Review Date: Jul 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp wide open at 400mm and through out the whole range! great build quality, very compact at 100mm (can fit in a small Tamrac bag), amazing colours (no saturation needed most of the time), fast push-pull zoom (perfect for BIFs) etc etc
Cons:
IS system not as good as the 70-300mm IS (only about 2 stops...sometimes even less). You need to keep the ss at about 1/200s or more on a crop body at 400mm (640mm eq.) for consistent results.

Ordered 2 of them (1 for me 1 for my buddy) and both of them are pin sharp at 400mm. I should add that both copies ordered are 2008 products. Many of the "soft" copy reports are user errors and/or some QC issues w Canon. People expect too much from the IS, and each and everyone of us have different shutter speeds limits for handholding at 640mm eq. I can get good results at slightly less than 1/200s but my friend needs 1/320s or more!

Jul 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Nello Milanese to your Buddy List
eosing

Registered: Jan 12, 2008
Review Date: Jul 4, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: zoom range
Cons:
pull and push systerm

Slow in focusing, i hate pull and push, compare with my 70-200. this is a junk

Jul 4, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add eosing to your Buddy List
mgkaplan

Registered: Jan 23, 2002
Review Date: Jun 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatility, Zoom Range, Performance
Cons:
Heavy

This lens has been my workhorse since I purchased it when it was first introduced (in 1998 or 1999).

I use it with converters. I use it without converters. Although the performance falls somewhat short of my primes and my 70-200 f2.8 IS, this lens gets the job done and enables me to get shots that I would not get otherwise.

The following is a link to my gallery:

The images will show what this lens can do.

Jun 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mgkaplan to your Buddy List
tmr_wa

Registered: Sep 7, 2004
Review Date: Jun 16, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Like many others, I considered the 300/4 IS, 400/5.6, and 100-400. The 300/4 IS was very tempting, but knew I wanted the extra reach of 400mm. I tried a friendís 400/5.6, and was very impressed with the image quality and AF speed. On the other hand, I didnít like the physical length of the lens. I also thought I might want the flexibility of a zoom for landscapes. I hesitated about the 100-400 for some time, especially after reading reports of the 100-400 not performing well at 400mm. But, I had also seen some very impressive images so about one year ago, I decided to take a chance on the 100-400. As I explain below, I have not been disappointed.

First, some minor things I donít like about the 100-400. The lens is heavy, unless you are used to carrying larger f/2.8 zooms and longer telephotos. I prefer to use small, unobtrusive lenses, but if I need the reach I have to deal with a larger lens. Since I usually use a tripod, I keep the tripod mount attached all the time, so this adds weight. The push-pull zoom takes some getting used to, and while I appreciate the zoom lock, Iím not particularly fond of how it operates. Finally, the lens does become quite long when racked out to 400mm, but again, those used to larger telephoto lenses probably wonít mind.

These points aside, I have found the 100-400 to be a very sharp lens, with great color and contrast. The build quality is very high. While heavy compared to my other lenses, the lens is surprisingly compact when set to 100mm. Performance is very good wide open throughout the zoom range, but I usually try to stop down a bit. The range on a 1.6X DSLR is phenomenal. I wanted a longer lens for landscapes and daylight sporting events and this is a great option. I tried non-IS and IS versions of the 70-200/4, but I found 200mm too short, even on a 1.6x DSLR. For sporting events, the lens handles very well on a monopod. For landscapes, Iíd use a sturdy tripod to maximize image quality, but itís nice to flip on IS and handhold if a tripod isnít available. The massive telephoto zoom range is very convenient in the field.

Here are some examples:

And one example from a daylight sporting event, at 400mm:

Jun 16, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add tmr_wa to your Buddy List
Saga

Registered: Jun 27, 2003
Review Date: Jun 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Build quality. Pin sharp wide open. IS
Cons:
Heavy

Only had this lens a couple of weeks and got my first real outdoor use yesterday in very overcast conditions.

Was not expecting much as conventional wisdom dictates that it needs a lot of light - especially at the extremes.

However, my first attempt included this shot at 400mm and this is a 100% crop. I used a monopod with IS on. In better light I do wonder ...

f7.1 800ISO and 1/250

Jun 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Saga to your Buddy List
Conrad Tan

Registered: Dec 8, 2007
Review Date: May 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: See my sample... enough said!
Cons:
Pretty tripod dependent...
May 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Conrad Tan to your Buddy List

Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM