Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom AF

175 339295 Jun 16, 2010
8.6
28-75mm

The most compact and lightest in the history of fast zoom lenses. Thanks to the revolutionary downsizing "XR" technology employed by Tamron in the development of high-power zoom lenses such as the 28-200mm and 28-300mm, the dramatic compactness that makes this lens the world's smallest and lightest is achieved. Its compactness makes it look and feel like an ordinary standard zoom lens, yet the versatility that a fast constant maximum aperture offers will definitely reshape your photographic horizons.

corgiwcn

Registered: Apr 8, 2004
Review Date: May 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp and contrasty even wide open through the zoom range; light weight compared with the Canon 24-70.
Cons:
A little noisy when focusing compared with Canon's USM lenses. Some distortion on the wide end.

If you don't like the size and weight of the Canon 24-70L but still want an excellent lens with constant and large maximum aperture, you probably won't be disappointed with this one.
After my bad luck with the Canon 70-200 f/4, I was happy to get an excellent copy that has none of the front-focusing (on the wide end) problem people are talking about. This means my review here is based on a good copy; your mileage may vary.
Optically, this lens is probably as good as you can get from a zoom. Sharpness and acutance characteristics are as good as my 17-40 f/4. Since I shoot RAW, the "slightly warm" color issue is not that big a concern. Some distortion shows up between 28mm to 35mm; so frame carefully.
The build quality is good enough for the price -- not as good as the L lenses but I don't really care that much. The focus is in fact faster than I expected, even though I am not into those action shootings.

May 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add corgiwcn to your Buddy List
Bluedog

Registered: May 4, 2005
Review Date: May 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp image results. Fast Auto Focus and perfect with no visible back focusing (using Canon 350D/XT) as with my Sigma 18-125mm. Build quality seems pretty good to me and bright f/2.8 full range.
Cons:
None so far. I must've got a good copy.

No quality issues with my copy, thank goodness. This lens is now on my Canon 350D/XT all the time. Tack sharp focus with brilliant colors.

May 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Bluedog to your Buddy List
dkwlau

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: May 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Price very competitive, covers useful focal length, relatively lightweight, F2.8 maximum aperature
Cons:
Poor QC, Built quality average, focusing speed average

I read a lot of good reviews and give it a go. The first copy is very soft at f2.8. Fortuantely the second copy after exchange is much better.

I compared it against the Canon 35/f2 and 50/f1.4. It is not a fair comparsion but the Tamron holds well against these 2 lenses. At f2.8 the 2 primes beat the Tamron to the ground but once stopped down to f4 one can only tell the difference at 100% chop, and there is no difference at f8 even at 100% chop.

In its focal length, it performs better at the wide end than the tele end.

It is a great lens for travel. I am using 20D and together with the Canon 10-22/f3.5-4.5 I can cover 16-120mm range with just 2 light weight lenses.

May 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dkwlau to your Buddy List
Johno

Registered: Jan 26, 2004
Review Date: May 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Brilliant value for money...
Cons:
...If you get a good copy

I kept reading good things about this wee lens so I decided to splash the cash and try it. I use L lenses normally so it had a lot to live up to.

When I purchased it (from Warehouse Express) I immediately noticed it wasn't focussing properly at 28mm at all apertures. Rather than replace it at the dealer I returned it to the UK distributor for calibration. When I got it back...wow, what a difference. It is easily on a par with my 24-70L for picture quality, altho it is (slightly) slower to focus.

I am truly amazed at the quality of this lens for the price. I would have no hesitation using it on a professional shoot.
If you have a good copy it kinda makes a mockery of the 24-70L's price. Crazy, eh!

I am tempted to try their 17-35 against my 17-40L now too.

May 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Johno to your Buddy List
cruiser

Registered: Jan 13, 2005
Review Date: May 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $325.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight; small size; sharp and clean images
Cons:

I tried out EF 24-70L, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 Macro, and Tamron 28-75. At the end, Tamron is the one to stay. This is an amazing lens. With the smallest size and lightest weight among these three lenses, it produces very clean and very sharp images with excellent color and contrast. Because there are quality control variations on this lens, I was worried I might get a bad copy. However, this is my first copy, and the sharpness is excellent from f/2.8 and up, from edges to the center, and from 28mm to 75mm. I am very glad and confident with the pictures taken with this lens. It is highly recommended.

May 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cruiser to your Buddy List
KJbruin

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: May 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, size, f2.8, full frame, warranty
Cons:
AF speed not as fast as USM

A jewel of a lens! Had the 24-70L first and read all of the rave reviews of the Tamron. It wasn't too pricey so I wanted to give it a go and went ahead and ordered it. After a month or so of living with both lenses and putting them both through a number of controlled side by side comparisons I could not distinguish the Tamron from the Canon which is saying a lot for the little guy. Sharpness, color, saturation, contrast all very close, almost indistinguishable. Most pictures showing a difference were due to slight focus variations. Both are awesome midrange zooms. I liked the size/weight factor of the Tamron and so in the end I stayed with the Tamron (the only 3rd party M. lens in my bag). Highly recommended.

May 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add KJbruin to your Buddy List
keefer112

Registered: Apr 11, 2005
Review Date: May 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $345.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, quick lens for a great price.
Cons:
Autofocus not quite up to par with USM.

Bought this lens as a walk-around for my Rebel XT. Since then, it hasn't ceased to amaze me with high-quality shots and great low light ability. This lens is highly recommended to anyone who cannot afford the 24-70.

May 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add keefer112 to your Buddy List
jasonp1

Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Review Date: Apr 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $345.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VERY Sharp, fast focusing, Great warranty service, Price to cost ratio.
Cons:
Crap shoot getting a good copy, other than that nada!

When I first received this lens, I was a bit dissappointed. It was very soft at every length/apature. Having previously worked at a camera store however, I knew many lenses had QC issues (Canon and Nikon included). So I thought I'd give Tamron Service a shot. It took around 6 weeks to get it back from calibration, but when I did get it back, it was TACK SHARP! I have shot hundreds of pictures with it since then and I can promise you, this lens will remain on my camera 98% of the time. I just printed a 24x36 print with it and I couldn't ask for better results. If you get this lens and get a cood copy, you WILL NOT be dissappointed.

Apr 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jasonp1 to your Buddy List
lowlitedigital

Registered: Mar 30, 2005
Review Date: Apr 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $379.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: INCREDIBLE LENS
Cons:
build quality

just got it today i must have got a good copy this lens is tack sharp i cuuldnt be happier with this lens////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// GO OUT AND BUY ONEIT IS THAT GOOD

Apr 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lowlitedigital to your Buddy List
fozzybear1969

Registered: Oct 27, 2004
Review Date: Apr 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $369.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: f2.8, good walk around lens, nice colour, good bokeh, razor sharp images, ok build, 67mm filter size, comes with lens hood, price.
Cons:
24-75mm would be better, focusing not as fast as USM, focusing a tad noisy, zoom ring not as smooth Canon.

I have a good copy of this lens after hearing that there are quality control issues with Tamron making these lenses. This lens is razor sharp, produces nice colours and has nice bokeh. The build is ok and not as heavy as the 24-70 L it will be my main walk around lens. I have the 70-200 L f4.0 and it's 67mm filter size is perfect for the Tamron 28-75, I don't have to buy new filters...a perfect lens combo. I would prefer 24-75mm but for the price I should not complain plus they include a lens hood, unlike some Canon lenses. Ok so the focusing is not as fast as USM (I sold my 28-135 IS USM) and is bit noisy, I am going to miss the USM. The zoom ring is a bit stiff compared to the better Canon lenses. Overall I like this lens, I would trade off a few minor disadvantages for sharper images and savings over the expensive Canon 24-70 L lens.

Apr 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fozzybear1969 to your Buddy List
bobbybrown

Registered: Dec 12, 2004
Review Date: Apr 15, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: very solidly built, i can confirm this as i was hit with a football straight on the lense. the force went throught the lens and camera and on my face, hard. i ended up needing to go to hospital for a broken nose. so i can definitely say that its super tough. even though it may not be that wide, its wide enough to use as "the" sharpe-ish utility lens for 80% of the time. lightweight. good zoom range. rock solid. no colour cast. no vignette. no flare. good optics but not stellar. very affordable. tamron has not had any Canon compatibility issues unlike Sigma. best affordable 3rd party lens in this zoom range.
Cons:
autofocus is a tad slow for sports/action shoots on my 10D. the sweet spot is around f8 . it can be a little soft at wider apertures, but perhaps this can be fixed.

same as above

Apr 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bobbybrown to your Buddy List
Stardust

Registered: Apr 12, 2005
Review Date: Apr 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Its remarkably compact. Its incredibly sharp at all extremes. Its affordable. It focuses well. The focus ring has a nice texture.
Cons:
erm, none at the moment.

As my first step into the world of SLR, my first dillema was in selecting one or two Lenses for a Canon 300D - something that would be a little better than the EF-S 18-55 Kit Lens. Initially, I looked at all the Canon Lenses which kind of caught my eye - all of which were none L lenses. I hadn't thought about third party lenses, but eventually figured they might be worth a little look in. After all, most PCs are made up of parts from a range of manufacturers right? Its just the matter of picking the best performing combination. OK, im no pro, just someone who want to take decent pictures now, and in the years to come.

Right now, im not in any need of a big telephoto lens, so the range of this lens seemed ideal. In point and shoot mode, all the pictures are unbelievably crisp - if you're after a replacement for the kit lens, this is the one id go for! At F4 or so, the quality is oh so sharp I have to pinch myself! The lense is assembled in China, I have no problems with that. Does that affect quality? Judging by things, id say not a bit. It has a nice weight and the focusing rings and zoom rings feel nice. Theres a zoom Lock for when the unit is fully retracted, but it doesnt seem like it needs it - everything is suitably stiff. The Lense comes with a flower light shade, which ive not used yet but its nice to know I can! It takes a 67mm Filter and seems fine with one on (i leave a UV filter on it).

With the lense & filter attached to the camera, it fits into my lowepro Nova 1 AW bag - no problem. So, if you took the plunge and bought your first d-SLR recently but were hoping the kit lens would be a little better than it is, id highly recommend trying out this lense (or just buy one and be prepared to be amazed!). It really is as good as the previous reviewers have rated it.

Apr 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stardust to your Buddy List
btakasaki

Registered: Feb 4, 2005
Review Date: Apr 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp! Great price, relatively compact and light (for f/2.8)
Cons:
none that I can think of

I love this lens, which is on my 20D 90% of the time. I was initially drawn to the IS of the ef 28-235 IS; however, since receiving the Tamron lens, I have barely touched the Canon IS zoom. The images using the Tamron lens are sharper and I find the f/2.8 more valuable than the IS when trying to get indoor shots of my fast moving kids. I think I am going to have to sell the 28-135 IS...

Apr 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add btakasaki to your Buddy List
HENIEK

Registered: Feb 6, 2005
Review Date: Apr 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Unable to find any aspect of this lens to criticise. Sharp images, precision built, very useful zoom range.
Cons:
NONE

Works perfactly with my 20D, no complaints about AF its fast and silent.
IMO best value for first digital lens.

Apr 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add HENIEK to your Buddy List
ragtop

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Apr 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor Sharp, vivid colors with a size and weight that's easy to manage. This is a fantastic lens. A keep for sure.
Cons:
Not quite as fast at focusing as the 24-70L, nor as quiet as the Canon 24-70L. But at 1/4 the cost, I can live with that.

I'm amazed at the quality this lens gives you for the money. I couldn't be more happier. While I'm new to D-SLR photograpy, I can definately tell I love the sharpness and color saturation of this lens. I had a Canon 24-70L, while it was a great lens, great build quality and Ultra quiet with blazing fast focus, this Tamron beats it in optical quality. I'm a happy camper after I sold the Canon L and got the Tamron to replace it. Freed up some extra money to buy more glass with.

Apr 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ragtop to your Buddy List
gboccuti

Registered: Apr 4, 2005
Review Date: Apr 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $369.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Has a sharpness that often seems to jump out at you when you're not expecting it. Lightweight, decent build quality. Fast accurate focus in most circumstances.
Cons:
My testing shows that it is much softer at the wide end, open than anywhere else in the lens range. Build quality is OK - certainly within what is reasonable to expect for the price range. Just doesn't have that certain level of 'Canon' quality. Made in China (not that it's a bad thing...).

Had a Tamron for my ol' fil Minolta and seemed to always get better with age (and experience shooting of course..). Sold my file equipment to move to DSLR and the Tamron was the last les I bought after buying several Canon lens (including 2 "L"'s). This thing is like the little dirt bike I had when I was a kid - it is nice little piece of glass and I'm enjoying the crispness it renders in most shots, expecially outdoors stopped-down a bit. Great for portraits and a good walk-around lens unless you need to go wider.

Apr 4, 2005