Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom AF

175 339304 Jun 16, 2010
8.6
28-75mm

The most compact and lightest in the history of fast zoom lenses. Thanks to the revolutionary downsizing "XR" technology employed by Tamron in the development of high-power zoom lenses such as the 28-200mm and 28-300mm, the dramatic compactness that makes this lens the world's smallest and lightest is achieved. Its compactness makes it look and feel like an ordinary standard zoom lens, yet the versatility that a fast constant maximum aperture offers will definitely reshape your photographic horizons.

JLim

Registered: Oct 1, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 5

Pros: cheap, small and light compared to others in this range (sigma 24-70 DG macro and canon 24-70L)
Cons:
cheap literally

For the money, this is a great little lens. That's why I gave overall rating of 5.

I had the lens for about 3 days and had to return the first one because of focusing problems. Got the second one and although it was focusing correctly, images weren't sharp and they looked dull and flat.

I had a chance to use the 24-70L before and comparing the images, I was not happy with the Tamron. I ended up returning the second one and getting the 24-70L.

Is the 24-70L really worth the extra money? I sure think so.

Nov 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JLim to your Buddy List
atuzai

Registered: Sep 30, 2005
Review Date: Nov 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, price, fast.
Cons:
hard to find good copy.

Bougth one recently. after test, found very soft at wide open. exchange one, better, still un acceptable. go to local Tamron service center , the guy told me this lens is very senstive for any knock. He recaliberated it. Now it is very sharp , comparble with my friend's Canon 24-70mm. Very happy with it.

Suggest everyone send the lens to Tamron for recaliberation if you found it is not sharp as most of review. And protect the lens carefully, any shock may make lens lost sharpness.

Nov 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add atuzai to your Buddy List
Jay Taft

Registered: Dec 28, 2004
Review Date: Nov 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent optics, wide aperture, light weight, useful focal length range, build quality, customer service.
Cons:
Quality control on focus.

I bought this lens new after reading about quality control issues with those manufactured in China. I found that mine did have intermittent focus problems. However, when manually focused the images were remarkably sharp. The excellent optics, wide aperture, light weight, and price encouraged me to keep this lens and have the focus problem fixed. It took two trips to the Tamron facility in Commack, NY, to resolve the issues. They were very helpful but the lens was there for almost 3 months total awaiting parts. Now it works beautifully.

I just returned from Costa Rica where the lens performed extremely well under dry and wet conditions. The wide maximum aperture was a key feature both in the rainforest and indoors under ambient light. The focus and image resolution are nearly as good as my Canon primes wide open and equal them stopped down a bit. In wet conditions it is possible to use a round rubber hood, instead of the petal shaped hood, to help keep the front element of the lens dry. On a 1.6x factor DSLR (10D in my case) there is no vignetting at 28mm.

A great lens if you buy one new or already serviced. Hopefully, Tamron will eventually solve the problems at the factory.

Nov 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jay Taft to your Buddy List
bluesman64

Registered: Nov 9, 2005
Review Date: Nov 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great shots. Super fast. Tack sharp.
Cons:

After careful comparison at several focal lengths and aperatures, my copy is better in every test shot versus the Canon L. I use Canon L's at other focal lengths (70-200L IS and 100-400L IS) so I too know what a tack sharp lens is, and this is every bit of that. See: http://marknicholas.smugmug.com/gallery/840139/1/37700253

I don't have any cons. You get more than what you pay for (especially if the Canon sets the value). My zoom is not loose like a prior reviewer. I've used it extensively and feel no change in the tension of the zoom.

Nov 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bluesman64 to your Buddy List
akide01

Registered: Jun 14, 2005
Review Date: Nov 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: great price, excellent build quality, love the lock feature of the zoom, so when the lens is not in use you can lock it so it won't slide out and expand, sharpness and quality close to the canon 24-70L f2.8, sweet spot around f4 and down
Cons:
not a canon lens =p

Nov 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add akide01 to your Buddy List
jcampb

Registered: Oct 20, 2005
Review Date: Nov 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast f2.8, quick focus, good build and priced right
Cons:
None for the price

I am truly pleased with this lens. It's a great normal zoom. My copy is sharp at f2.8 and at all focal lengths. The "good/very good" build quality is about what you would expect for the price. It focuses fast enough for most applications.

Nov 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jcampb to your Buddy List
pklosky

Registered: Oct 27, 2005
Review Date: Oct 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good sharpness, good focus speed, good color saturation, good price, less bulky/weighty than Canon lens.
Cons:
Zoom becomes so loose that holding the lens up causes it to zoom out, holding it down causes it to zoom in. Multiple copies exhiobit the same "feature." So if you do photography in which the camera is not held level, it will not work.

Oct 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pklosky to your Buddy List
DigitalBill

Registered: Jul 17, 2005
Review Date: Oct 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $379.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Razor-sharp, cost-effective, not heavy.
Cons:
Get one that works with your camera body.

I went to the camera store several weeks ago, fully intending to purchase the Canon 24-70 F/2.8.
Fortunately, the manager suggested that I look at Tamron's 28-75.
I was instantly impressed with the image quality, and elected to save several hundred dollars and purchase the Tamron.
The store demo body and lens images were excellent.
The new copy I took home and used with my 20D delivered results of a lesser quality.
The images were 'good,' but to the critical eye they certainly weren't 'excellent'.
So I returned to the store Sunday morning. Their camera tech proceeded to do a very disciplined tripod-mounted test of my camera and my lense. He took multiple images at varying apertures and focal lengths.
This confirmed that the combination produced soft images.
Next, he did the same series of shots with the store demo on my camera body -- with the same 'soft' results.
Then, to test further, he put a Canon 24-70 on my 20D body.
The resulting images were an improvement over the two Tamron lenses, but not worth spending an additional thousand-plus dollars.
Then, he took out another 'new' Tamron 28-75 out of the box, placed it on my 20D body and -- like magic -- the results were stunning.
I found the perfect match!
The moral of the story, it's a great lens, but be sure it works with your particular camera body. It DOES make a difference.
If you purchase mail order, be sure they have a prompt and seamless return/exchange policy.
If you acquire the right one, you'll just love this lens!

Oct 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DigitalBill to your Buddy List
Steve Jamroz

Registered: May 13, 2005
Review Date: Oct 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Don't be fooled that this is a "Tamron" so it can't be good.
Cons:
Hard to get since the word is getting out!

Shot this lens vs. the Canon 24-70L at Calumet yesterday. I was sure I wanted the Canon glass since it was Canon and that's what all the pro's shoot. I have read many reviews about this lens saying how good it was and I was a bit skepticle. I shot both and have poured over the files in Photoshop at 100% crops. The results? The Tamron blew the Canon away by a mile. I couldn't believe my eyes! It was way sharper at every apeture and it seemed to focus better than the Canon. The color saturation was also excellent. It is also way lighter too which is a big plus for me. Some say the quality is not of L glass, but who freakin cares people? I can drop this one on concrete, plus two more of them and still not spend what one of the L glasses cost! I am sold!

Oct 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Steve Jamroz to your Buddy List
sreidvt

Registered: Dec 3, 2002
Review Date: Oct 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp, esp. above 35mm, performance at 28mm is good wide open and very good by F/5.6, distortion well-controlled, light and compact body, very good value, focusing is fast, quiet and usually accurate
Cons:
Less micro-contrast than 24-70L, medium build quality (although this no doubt contributes to its light weight)

I'll do a full professional review of this next month but this is probably the best performing zoom lens I've ever tested in the less-than-$1000 range. I've owned both the 28-70L and the 24 -70L (both of which have similar visual signatures) but haven't yet been about to compare this Tamron directly with one or the other. From memory and reviewing old files, I believe the following to be true:

- From 35mm up, the Tamron 28-75 is as sharp as the 24-70L
- At 28mm, the 24-70L performs slightly better than the Tamron, esp. in the outer zones
- The 24-70L shows more micro-contrast overall than the Tamron
- The Tamron shows *less* rectilinear distortion at 28mm than the 28-70L or 24-70L. The "horizontal stretching" of faces near the edges of the frame is much more pronounced with the Canon lenses than with the Tamron (I'll confirm this in a direct comparison in the full review)

I don't actually like zooms very much. In fact the reason that I ended up selling both my 28-70L and 24-70L is that they spent far more time too much time in my bag. At one point I'd sold all of my zoom lenses (all Ls) and I still do most of my personal and professional work with primes. But, undeniably, there are fast-paced shooting situations where using a zoom lens works better than carrying multiple bodies with primes. For those times, this 28-75 Tamron may be just what I need on the Canon 5D (and 1Ds if I pick up another one). Having moved to a lighter, smaller SLR for weddings (5D from 1Ds) I'm keen on keeping my lenses smaller and lighter as well. It really makes a difference when I'm shooting hand-held for hours.

We'll see how it pans out over the next few weeks but so far this is a surprisingly impressive little lens - that it costs $400 or less is just icing on the cake.

Oct 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sreidvt to your Buddy List
fcupti

Registered: Jul 9, 2005
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Oct 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness; Price; Image quality; 2.8
Cons:
Zoom works the opposite way from a canon; noiser than canon.

This is the lens that stays 99% of the time on my camera. Great walk around lens!
The sharpness is incredible.

Oct 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fcupti to your Buddy List
s4s4s4

Registered: Dec 21, 2003

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp.
Cons:
Needs a red stripe at the end and the zoom ring spins the wrong way.

I may be the sharpest lens I have owned including nine L lenses from Canon. It's nice and light and incredibly affordable.

Oct 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add s4s4s4 to your Buddy List
bobphilly

Registered: Dec 25, 2003
Review Date: Sep 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $329.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: In image quality the Canon 24-70L is NOT better than the Tamron 28-75 2.8 Di lens. If you do your homework, look up both reviews on Popular Photography website and look at the charts and if that does not satisfy you, buy on and compare it yourself. The Canon might feel smoother or built better BUT if you are looking for image quality which I put as the number 1 thing before everything, you have to choose the Tamron over the canon. If you are worried about the lens breaking for any reason, don't worry, you can buy 3 more for the price of the canon at 1200.00. Don't knock the tamron if you haven't done a side by side comparison, trust me you will be shocked! Buy the canon if you absolutely need the lens to be silent. Don't buy the canon for 1200.00 because of peer pressure, (meaning everyone will not look up to you if you don't have a canon). Don't worry, wait until the see your prints!!!
Cons:
I have not had any complaints. I shoot wedding and everything in between. Love it for only 329.00 Light weight too!

Sep 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add bobphilly to your Buddy List
smaniscalco

Registered: Dec 11, 2003
Review Date: Sep 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Size, weight, sharpness, price. Reasonably quick focus. Delivers nice sharp images at a great size/price.
Cons:
I appreciate the included hood, but it's a bit fidgetty to get on and off. I've had the same problem with various Canon hoods though.

I've gotten excellent results with this lens.
It's my first Tamron. I bought it as an upgrade to my Sigma 18-125. I loved my Sigma, but there were too many compromises involved in delivering that focal length range. The Tamron gives me very noticeably better image qualityand more speed in its reduced range.
Nice near macro capability that improves with a short extension tube added.
I've no doubt that the Canon 24-70L is superior. The extra 4mm of wide would be nice too. Of course, for 3 times the cost....

Sep 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smaniscalco to your Buddy List
hooookup

Registered: Sep 13, 2005
Review Date: Sep 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: f2.8, price
Cons:
Tamron's QC

After reading all of the great reviews on this lens I decided to get one to replace the kit lens that came with my 350D. I couldn't wait to try this lens out, boy was I in for a huge disappointment! Got it out of the box and mounted and started snapping off pictures. To my surprise the images seemed out of focus while trying to compose my shot. I thought it was my diopter as it needs to be adjusted every now and then. The image still wouldn't focus. After a few minutes of playing with it I finally got it to focus and snapped a few pictures off (they came out tack sharp). However the problem resumed shortly thereafter which leads me to believe that I received a defect! I really like the feel of the lens and am definitely going to give it a second try. This one is going back. For the money, you can't beat this lens.

Sep 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hooookup to your Buddy List
DrEvil

Registered: Sep 3, 2005
Review Date: Sep 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $369.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp and constrasty through the entire range. reaosnable weight. good as carry-around lens

Sep 3, 2005