Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom AF

175 339797 Jun 16, 2010
8.6
28-75mm

The most compact and lightest in the history of fast zoom lenses. Thanks to the revolutionary downsizing "XR" technology employed by Tamron in the development of high-power zoom lenses such as the 28-200mm and 28-300mm, the dramatic compactness that makes this lens the world's smallest and lightest is achieved. Its compactness makes it look and feel like an ordinary standard zoom lens, yet the versatility that a fast constant maximum aperture offers will definitely reshape your photographic horizons.

erinbutler211

Registered: Mar 11, 2006
Review Date: Jul 17, 2006 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Price. Speed. Sharp, after recalibration.
Cons:
Slow AF, stiff focusing ring.

An update to my earlier post. After waiting 3.5! months (lens had to be shipped back to Japan factory) for the recalibration, lens was returned to me. Now it is sharp with nice colour, although I still find the AF very slow, not as accurate and stiff in comparison to Canon L lenses. As to build quality... my newly recalibrated lens fell out of my camera bag onto a hard tile floor! Despite this, the lens is still sharp and works fine. So... so far, so good.

Jul 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add erinbutler211 to your Buddy List
Hurtman

Registered: Jan 7, 2004
Review Date: Jul 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $369.95 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, 2.8, hood supplied
Cons:
not wide enough - should be a 24-75

I got this lens on a whim - was about to order something else, & had tried out a friend's copy & it did very good. I like this lens a lot, but it cannot replace my 28-135 because it doesn't have IS & at my age, I Need IS! I would like to see this lens re-designed to a 24-75mm 2.8! I swap it back & forth between my 30D & my EOS-3.
A good lens for shooting concerts, but I am thinking the Canon 85mm 1.8 will do better. We'll see . . .

Jul 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hurtman to your Buddy List
vandermouche

Registered: Apr 14, 2005
Review Date: Jul 11, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Constant f/2.8 aperture, Price, Light weight, Full frame compatible.
Cons:
Build quality, Focus ring move during focus, Hunts in low ligth, Manual focus can be tricky, 28mm is not very wide.

This is my primary lens. I mostly shoot in low ligth condition so f/2.8 is very usefull. This is an excellent lens for the price.

The image quality is excellent stopped down to f/4 and it is still usable at f/2.8.

It lacks a USM or HSM motor so the focus is very slow and noisy and some time it hunts. The focus ring turn during the autofocus and this can be a problem when hand holding the camera. In manual mode, the focus ring is not very precise or damped.

One problem with this lens is the build quality. The focus ring and the zoom ring are loose. I wish I can pay 100$ more to have better overall build quality with the same optic.

I recommend this lens as a walkaround lens.

Jul 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add vandermouche to your Buddy List
MARTHIN

Registered: Apr 18, 2005
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Jul 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp sharp...Not as heavy as I heard many say, quality through and through.
Cons:

I'm amazed at the sharpness of this lens.

The color and sharpness are akin to a prime lense. This lens produce an impressive bokeh, one of the best I've seen. Fast, silent and precise. Once you try it, you don't want to go back to enything else.GET ONE.

Jul 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MARTHIN to your Buddy List
acigarnut

Registered: Jul 5, 2006
Review Date: Jul 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $359.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good all around lense. I really like 2.8 across the range. Good value for the money, good color and sharpness.
Cons:
If it was 18-75 I would like it even more!

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. Great site. I have had this lense for about 6 months now and really love it. I "pooch" up the ISO to about 800 on my camera and can easily get by without a flash under most circumstances. That opens up more possibilities for low light situations. I have had people literally stop and look at the pictures taken with this lense in amazement. Not bad for a rank amature. I am eagerly awaiting the new 75-300 lens that Tamron is supposedly coming out with. If I had any complaint other than wanting it to go down to 18 instead of 28 I would say I would like slightly better macro performance, but that is nit picking really.

Jul 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add acigarnut to your Buddy List
goldtop1122

Registered: Jan 23, 2006
Review Date: Jun 13, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $318.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Great all around lens. Better optics for the $ than canon or nikon will ever have.
Cons:

I really love this lens. It is not an L lens, but it is hard to tell from the pictures that I take. I carry it with me everywhere and it has always preforms perfectly. If you are looking for very sharp optics that rival the best lenses in its catagory try it out. For the price you can even buy a spare.

Jun 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add goldtop1122 to your Buddy List
sdgphoto

Registered: Apr 14, 2006
Review Date: Jun 11, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $349.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Overall it's a good lens (optically) for the money, lightweight, fairly pleasing bokeh, good flare resistance, nice colors, fairly sharp.
Cons:
Not the sharpest wide open of the standard zooms, better at 28mm than 75mm, cheap-feeling build, AF noisy/slow/rotates externally, tends to hunt a lot in lowlight, not really wide enough on a crop body.

Good lens but the build quality and AF are sorely lacking. Optically it's nice but nothing really "blew me away." I wish it would have worked out but I'll look at the 24-xx lenses and wider now.

Jun 11, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sdgphoto to your Buddy List
radiodenver

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Jun 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $380.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent image properties, nice and sharp, good bokeh, very little vignetting on full frame 5D.
Cons:
Lens hood is made of dime-store plastic. A tad softer long but still good.

I compared this lens on my EOS 5D, head to head with the similarly priced Canon 24-85. It smokes the canon lens in every regard. I needed a decent walk around lens for the 5D and this one is highly recommended. No focus problems, no vignetting unless you're at 2.8 and 24mm, and still it's not terrible there. This lens stays on my 5D for general purpose shooting.

Jun 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add radiodenver to your Buddy List
cmugphoto

Registered: Apr 15, 2006
Review Date: May 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, sharpness, color, great bokeh, light weight.
Cons:
AF can go hunting when you need it not-to the most. Manual focus can be very tricky.

It's a great lens. Much better, IMO, than the Canon 28-135 IS. Much sharper, better colors, and has fixed maximun aperture through the focal length range. Very good for not-so-ideal lighting conditions. A GREAT value for the price. Compatible with full-frame cameras (which is VERY important...at least to me). The only drawback (and for this price is expected to have some drawbacks) is that the AF goes hunting. Not very often, but it can be frustrating when it goes back and forth when you have a good shot and miss it because of erratic focusing. But, again, I'm not complaining too much because 99% of the time delivers quality of lenses 4X its price.

May 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cmugphoto to your Buddy List
kendallkoning

Registered: Nov 26, 2005
Review Date: May 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Small and Light, Sharp, Constant F/2.8, Low CA
Cons:
Build, Slow Focus, Corners very soft at F/2.8

This lens is a little soft wide open, but then again even the more expensive F/2.8 zooms are too. It is as sharp as my 24-105 IS at F/4, and noticeably sharper at F/5.6. Despite its wide aperture, I generally use this lens when there is sufficient light, preferring a 50/1.4 or the 24-105/4 IS for low light subjects. (moving and not moving, respectively)

Outdoors during daylight, I prefer this lens to the 24-105 IS both because it's easier to hike around with, and it outresolves the 5D sensor already at F/5.6 (e.g., fine detail on test charts produces strong moire)

This is a wonderful normal zoom that simply cannot be beat for the price, and in other ways (size,weight) is unmatched by any other F/2.8 zoom at any price.

Overall- 10
Build- 7
Price- 10

May 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kendallkoning to your Buddy List
kevindar

Registered: May 6, 2006
Review Date: May 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $330.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: price, fantastic image quality even wide open form 28-75. the best value portrait zoom lens out there.
Cons:
not a great walk around lens on the 1.6 crop sensor due to lack of wide angle range. Some have found quality control issues.

I primarily use this lens at 2.8, indoors for portraits. My copy focus accurately at all focal lenghts and is fantastically sharp. at 70 2.8, its only a hair behind my 70-200 f4L lens at F4, and at same aperture, its as sharp if not sharper. It is also reasonably light and small. Unfortunately reading many reviews, not everyone has been as lucky to end up with as good of a sample

May 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kevindar to your Buddy List
tabsr

Registered: Sep 28, 2005
Review Date: May 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Nice size and light weight
Cons:
Bought the lens 5 months ago and discovered at 2.8 not very good. Sending back for warranty repair. From my limited experience, the 50mm mk1 F1/8 is much better, my Tamron 18-200 is sometimes sharper. I did notice the barrel on the Tamron 28-75 is loose.

Do not know until after sending to Tamron for calibration.

May 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tabsr to your Buddy List
InfamousDX

Registered: Jul 11, 2005
Review Date: Apr 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $310.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Constant 2.8 aperture, sharpness, price
Cons:
no full time manual focus, build quality (expected with its price), zoom creeps after a while, little short on the wide end.

JUST as sharp as my CAnon 24-70L at all stops (especially F2.8). For the price you pay, $340-370 before rebate, it can't be beat. IQ is totally up to par with a lens 3 times its price tag. If you're on a budget, this is probably the ultimate walkaround.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add InfamousDX to your Buddy List
erinbutler211

Registered: Mar 11, 2006
Review Date: Apr 29, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Size, speed.
Cons:
Autofocus problems... across focal lengths...

Bought this lens via internet in Germany, hoping for a good one. Unlucky me. Focusing completely erratic across focal lengths, with a greater percentage of out of focus than in focus shots. However, when the lens manages to take a focussed picture. it is quite sharp. Although the colour does not seem as bright as Canon L lenses... Now the lens is back to Tamron for recalibrating. Which will take 2-3 months!! Wish I had the money for the Canon 24-70L.

gberger

Registered: Apr 29, 2006
Review Date: Apr 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $370.00 | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

I also bought this lens because of all the positive reviews. I'm very happy with it. It's much sharper than my Canon 28-105 USM, and just as sharp as my Canon 50 1.4 and 50 macro. I've had many lenses over the last 25 years including some L lenses. I don't think any of them were appreciably sharper than this.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gberger to your Buddy List
The1

Registered: Jan 12, 2006
Review Date: Apr 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: F2.8, Tack Sharp, Good price for Quality
Cons:

I own a 50mm canon macro F2.5 and to me this is just as good and you get the bonus range, i can't fault this lens, it's the best walkaround lens ive used for my canon 300d

Apr 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add The1 to your Buddy List

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom AF