Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom AF

175 338687 Jun 16, 2010
8.6
28-75mm

The most compact and lightest in the history of fast zoom lenses. Thanks to the revolutionary downsizing "XR" technology employed by Tamron in the development of high-power zoom lenses such as the 28-200mm and 28-300mm, the dramatic compactness that makes this lens the world's smallest and lightest is achieved. Its compactness makes it look and feel like an ordinary standard zoom lens, yet the versatility that a fast constant maximum aperture offers will definitely reshape your photographic horizons.

PhilO

Registered: Dec 21, 2003
Review Date: Feb 27, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $427.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great lense
Cons:
None for me

Hello all,

So many have said so much in these reviews.

I will simply share a small gallery of test shots with you.

You be the judge!

Note: Some say it this lense is soft at 2.8 but I would only use that aperture when absolutely necessary. And that is not very often.

Thanks for looking.

Phil

Feb 27, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PhilO to your Buddy List
Andy2L

Registered: Nov 27, 2006
Review Date: Feb 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $320.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Sharpness, even at f/2.8
Cons:
AF inconsistency!!

It would have been an incredible lens if it could focus properly. Sometimes I am amazed by the sharpness, other times it is very bad at focusing so that the image looks more like a cloud. I hope I can get this fixed or exchange it!

Feb 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andy2L to your Buddy List
Chu Li

Registered: Jan 20, 2007
Review Date: Jan 20, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: image quality
Cons:
6-year warranty

If you want your image good only for short period time (like half year), it should be OK for this lens. I think I am unlucky guy for this lens.

After read Popular Photography Magazine test result for this lens, I took the plunge. But it was out of the stock in New York. I call all Tamron retailers on my planed trip location. Found one in Boulder, Colorado. Flew to Boulder, bought in MSRP price at Mike’s Camera.

The first impression was the build quality – plastic; Down-toward zoom is too easy; up-toward zoom is very hard. I think there is no damping inside the lens. The non-internal focus lens, when you zoom out, like at the plastic inner barrel. I am worry it will be broken some day; Focus always hutting in low light, I must turn the lens zoom to some location and focus again and again.

When I brought this lens from the warm temperature of the car to the cold temperature outside (17F). Some time later, I found 3 racks in front glass. Back to Houston, I called Tamron USA If is it belong the 6-year warranty (material defect). Said “please mail to us. It is very difficult to discuss on the phone…”

After one week waiting to input my data to Tamron system. I called them again. They asked me $160.87 to replace the UV-Filter-Like glass. 6-year warranty only for mechanical defect. Not for material defect. I have the experience with Sigma for 50-500mm. I dropped the lens to the concrete ground. Both zoom and focus rings are locked (barrel deformed), I called Sigma USA. They ask me for $70 and then mailed to Sigma USA. Two weeks later I received a new serial number lens (change the outer barrel) – this was after one year warranty and it was gray market lens.

If you look at Tamron website Contact us – there is one sentence “All declined repairs will incur a $10.00 return shipping fee.” Do you think how many customs like choose - “declined sky high repair price”. I did.

Right now I am choosing macro lens. No Tamron any more. Do not be cheated by the 6-year warranty.

Jan 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chu Li to your Buddy List
jlafontaine

Registered: Dec 22, 2006
Review Date: Dec 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, Sharp at F4, IQ (sharpness and contrast) is on par with the Canon 24-70L from f5.6!!!
Cons:
Unusable at f2.8, (but if you don't use 2.8 then it's not a problem)

Gave mine to a friend when I got my Canon 24-7 2.8L, I really needed F2.8 and the tamron just couldn't deliver at F2.8! I did to comparison shots between the two lenses, and from F5.6 this lens is on par with the canon. If you don't need a metal shell, weather sealing, USM and don't shoot at 2.8, then by all means, get this lens. When it comes to IQ, tamron is VERY serious!!!

Dec 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jlafontaine to your Buddy List
canonet

Registered: Aug 9, 2005
Review Date: Dec 22, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: SHARP optics even when wide open . Lightweight and a 2.8! Never had it hunt in low light.
Cons:
Slow in focusing for sports

I bought this lens to replace my Tokina 28-70 2.8 after it dropped during a basketball game. I was extremely impressed with the optics of the Tamron but disliked it being slow to focus for sports. For weddings, I've never had it let me down. Sold my Canon 28-135 IS lens which was far softer than the 28-75.

Despite being slow focusing for sports, I highly recommend this lens for anyone who wants to step away from the kit ens and cannot afford the Canon L-Series glass.

Dec 22, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add canonet to your Buddy List
veroman

Registered: Aug 19, 2005
Review Date: Dec 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: • Sharpness & Contrast • Edge-to-edge performance • Good build • Compact and light compared to other lenses in its class • Price
Cons:

This is simply a first-rate lens and even better than first-rate when you consider how much quality you get for the money. The build may not be 100% up to Canon L-class standards, but it's a very, very good build nonetheless. I am surprised, amazed and delighted at how well this lens performs on my Canon 5D. In fact, this is the first 3rd party lens that I've ever used with my full frame Canon cameras. I keep expecting to see unacceptable softness at the edges and noticeable distortion at the wide end, especially at full aperture. It's simply not there. I couldn't be happier.

Dec 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add veroman to your Buddy List
Bevan Young

Registered: Oct 31, 2006
Review Date: Nov 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: SHARP! Compact f2.8 at all focal lengths, Looks cool!
Cons:
Wider angle...but cant complain for the price

I got this second hand in mint condition.

Ive compared it to my EF-s 300D kit lens, and the sharpness and build is absolutely way better than the 18-55mm.

I cannot stop raving about the sharpness, it is awesome. I was abit skeptical about everyones reviews on the tamrons sharpness, especially when the sharpness of my copy of the kit lens is quite good (in my opinion).

The sharpness of the tamron is better than my copy of the 70-200L f4.0! I might have to get the 70-200L looked at...

This lens is Highly recommended, regardless of price!

And it looks cool! Smile

Nov 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Bevan Young to your Buddy List
Ian Sayers

Registered: Oct 15, 2006
Review Date: Oct 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, F 2.8, Light Weight, Very Low Cost
Cons:
AF a bit hit and miss, Build quality reflects price

I have had the SIGMA 24-70 2.8 EX for about a year, but decided to buy this lens and sell the sigma, on the basis of reports I had read. The Sigma is extreemly well built, and feels like a pro lens. It focusses rapidly and reliably and produces nice pictures. It is however far too heavy to use as a general purpose lens, and more importantly it is quite soft at 2.8, especially at the long end.

The Tamron 28-75 is almost unbelivably compact and light compared with the Sigma. The flip side of this is that the lens hood feels a bit flimsy and I'm not sure the body would survive too hard an impact (unlike the Sigma). The focus ring moves and you need to remeber not to touch it during AF. AF is quick enough for most purposes, but it does miss a good proportion of the shots taken, at least first time. If you have time to get 2 shots in this is fine, if not it is a bit hit and miss. I have also had some trouble tracking moving object with it (e.g. children running towards a camera). Overall focusing is better on the Sigma.

The most important difference between these two lenses is optical perfomace at maximum apperture however. The Tamron is sharp as a knife at F4 onwards, and still very good at 2.8. The Sigma is quite soft at 2.8, but does improve as it is stopped down. The problem is that with such a big lens you realy would expect to be able to use it at 2.8.

I'm still getting used to the Tamron, and the shots I've taken have been in quite overcast light. Although the sharpness is very noticible, there is something less flatering about them than those taken with the Sigma. I'm not sure if its the light, colour transmision, or the sharpness itself, but it is real.

I think I will probably keep the Sigma afterall, as it is a lot of lens for the money. It also has a great effect on people who think having a large lens means you are competent photographer, which can be useful in some situations.

If I could only have one of these lenses however it would be the Tamron. It is simply more likely to be on my camera when I need it, and I can use the 2.8 and still have sharp shots.

Oct 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ian Sayers to your Buddy List
ukcolin

Registered: Nov 12, 2005
Review Date: Sep 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: I really liked this lens when it firs arrived. It is the perfect size and weight and was astonishingly sharp. Good value too. If you can get a good one you will be well pleased.
Cons:
My example did not focus correctly so it was sent back.

My example did not focus correctly so was sent back but where it did focus was beautifully sharp at all apertures. The lens balances well on the camera and is a convenient size compared with alternatives. Build quality is acceptable. A fine lens if you can get a good one.

Sep 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ukcolin to your Buddy List
dcains

Registered: Oct 8, 2005
Review Date: Sep 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Lightweight, sharp, not expensive, quick AF, no zoom creep, hood included, nice front cap, 6-year warranty (pay attention, Canon, to those last 3 items)
Cons:
No full-time manual focus, not sure about the build quality (Made in China), a few more mm on the wide end would really be nicer.

Count me among the fans of this lens, and I'm a new first-time Tamron owner. I wanted an inexpensive lens to haul my XT around with every day, and this lens really performs well. AF is fast, good sharpness/color/contrast, and it's pretty nice wide-open, too. Mine performs best from f/4 to f/8, but the bokeh gets a bit grainy at those higher f-stops. The AF seems to work better on my 30D than XT, but that's no real surprise.

Tamron includes a hood, front cap that works well with the hood mounted, and a 6-year US warranty, which is a lesson that Canon should learn.

I might be a little wary about build-quality, though, as this lens is assembled in China, and it doesn't have the rock-solid feel of a higher-end Canon or Sigma EX, but street price is only ~$350 new, and it seems similar in build to other mid-range lenses I've tried. Wish it was a little bit wider, for use on a 1.6X body, as every mm at the wide end can really make a big difference in FOV. All things considered, I'm going to be happy with this, I'm sure, as a general-purpose lens on my daily-use XT.

Sep 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dcains to your Buddy List
Sardine

Registered: Mar 20, 2006
Review Date: Sep 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $369.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: -Sharp -Awesome Bokeh -light weight and small -Constant 2.8
Cons:
-Wish it was 24mm on the wide end -Doesn't have USM/HSM. Why doesn't Tamron have their own equivalent?

My copy is actually sharper than a Canon 24-70mm 2.8L that I've ran tests against. Throughout all apertures and zoom range.....

So far this has done an excellent job in everything I have used it for. It may not have USM but it's not slow either. Sometimes I do wish it was 24mm on the wide end because on a crop camera 28mm is a bit too long.

My friend's copy seemed to be softer than mine so he sent it in to Tamron for calibration. They calibrated it and now at 28mm and wide open he has the sharpest zoom I have ever seen. In fact, it's prime sharp and doesn't even improve when stopped down. Scary. It's sharper than mine at 28mm while mine is sharper than his at 75mm. Strange....

Great sharp, lightweight, and fast zoom for one good price!

Sep 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sardine to your Buddy List
srv656s

Registered: Jan 10, 2006
Review Date: Aug 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $379.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great color, sharpness, especially for the price
Cons:
An awkward range on a non-full frame camera

I read some reviews complaining about the camera's focus problems. My friend bought this lens and had to return his first copy, and I was pretty nervous I'd get a bad copy when I got mine. I did some focus tests, and was very pleased that my copy was dead on with the focus. I find that the lens is sharper than my Canon 50mm f1.8 lens most of the time and the color and contrast looks better too. Prior to this lens I used my 50mm prime 99% of the time, so it's really neat to be able to finally zoom again. I was worried I'd be dissatisfied with my results since the 50mm did such a great job (it was my first lens besides my kit lens) but I'm surprised that the Tamron does so well. I've used it a few times and I'm so thrilled with it. I've got way more 'keepers' than I did with my other lenses and I love the 2.8. I'm very happy with the lens, and if you can get a good copy, it's worth the money for sure.

Aug 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add srv656s to your Buddy List
Ozone42

Registered: Aug 12, 2005
Review Date: Aug 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.99 | Rating: 9

Pros: Best bang for buck for the range hands down. Excellent sharpness.
Cons:
No USM, no FTM

I'm not sure why people complain about build quality on this lens. Sure it's no L, but it is built more ruggedly and solidly than the EF-s lenses. It's solid and has a good feel.

The sharpness beats my 10-22mm, and in some cases can beat my 50mm f1.4 prime (though the prime wins for the range of it's optimal sharpness.) Contrast isn't as high as I've seen on other lenses in this range, but that's an easy tweak in post processing. Colours seem great so far. The hood is actually much more solid than my Canon EW-83E, but that may be due to the narrower body. I have no complaints, I only wish it were a bit quieter when focusing.

Aug 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ozone42 to your Buddy List
PeepingTom

Registered: Aug 4, 2006
Review Date: Aug 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Competes with Canon L lens (28-70 f2.8L) three times its price (also much bulkier)
Cons:
Erratic results wide open (color, separation etc)

Great bang for the buck;

best non-L alternative in this zoom range for Canon shooters.

Excellent ergonomics

Can give fantatic results in most situations, but fails in some tricky / backlit situations even after thousands of attempts!

Not for the most picky (and well heeled) shooters.

Aug 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add PeepingTom to your Buddy List
LindaZ

Registered: Sep 7, 2004
Review Date: Aug 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $379.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Price, Easy to Zoom, f2.8, Lenshood included, Goodlooking
Cons:
Focus problems, random softness

I guess I was one of the unlucky ones and I am quite disappointed in this lens. If I am focusing on an eye and the red light shows it's in focus and I open the pictures on my computer - looks soft!
Even at f5.6 , or 4.5. And yet some of the photos show a little bit of sharpness, it just seem random. And that's why I am giving this lens such a low rating. Consistancy is everything. I still recommend it because of it's price and if some people are willing to play the " I might get a good copy " game.

I am not sure what to do with this lens yet, send it back to B&H or just suck it up and see if USM can fix the issues. SIGH.

Aug 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add LindaZ to your Buddy List
sstovall

Registered: Nov 27, 2004
Review Date: Jul 31, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: hmmm
Cons:
lack of ability to focus clearly .. unsharp appearance of most all images, regardless of aperature.. In process of sending back to B&H.

Too bad, I really wanted a 2.8 zoom in this focal range. Maybe a bad copy but I didn't want to deal with that process of returning to the factory. Maybe Canon primes have spoiled me, but this was not even up to my 28-105 image quality.

Jul 31, 2006