Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 XR Di Zoom AF

175 341320 Jun 16, 2010
8.6
28-75mm

The most compact and lightest in the history of fast zoom lenses. Thanks to the revolutionary downsizing "XR" technology employed by Tamron in the development of high-power zoom lenses such as the 28-200mm and 28-300mm, the dramatic compactness that makes this lens the world's smallest and lightest is achieved. Its compactness makes it look and feel like an ordinary standard zoom lens, yet the versatility that a fast constant maximum aperture offers will definitely reshape your photographic horizons.

adarmosaputro

Registered: Jul 13, 2003
Review Date: Feb 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Well built for the price, extremely sharp at all aperture (as sharp, if not sharper than 50mm f/1.8 at f/4), silky smooth focusing ring, AF pretty quick and not as noisy as I anticipated.
Cons:
none so far

In short: amazing lens for the price - I think even if we compare it to lenses 2-3x its price. Sharp and nice color rendition, nice bokeh, fast and accurate AF (although no match for the silent Canon USM).

"Assembled in China" but it doesn't bother me, it feels good in your hand, and what matter is the result.

Feb 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add adarmosaputro to your Buddy List
brmaddox

Registered: Jan 29, 2005
Review Date: Jan 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $379.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, quiet accurate autofocus(not quite a USM, but not a Sigma either ;-), incredibly sharp for the money, f2.8!
Cons:
Focus ring rotates during autofocus.. imagine you can damage the motor if you aren't careful. This should be a problem if you are mindful.

I'm a relative newcomer and bought this lens after reading some reviews and wanting a walk-around lens that was versitile enough to do portraits, wide-angle(not quite with 20D), etc. I was skeptical given the price and previous experience with non-OEM lenses such as the Sigma 24-70 f2.8 which was a bad lens in most respects.

After testing this lens at 50mm and 70mm and comparing to my 50mm II f1.8 and 70-200L f4 it was apparent that the Tamron bested even the 50mm prime. Only until you got past f5.6 did the other two lenses match sharpness.

This lens is also very light, especially compared to the equivalent canon L lenses. Build quality is excellent and autofocus is fast and quite as I was expecting somthing akin to a Sigma. My only gripe is that the focus ring rotates while the camera autofocuses. This was a little surprising, but should be a problem as long as you pay attention and get your hand out of the way. At $379.99, almost 4X cheaper than a canon 24-70L, this is a great buy. Of course, that is until I have enough money to actually BUY the 24-70L..

Jan 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add brmaddox to your Buddy List
Photo_lc

Registered: Jan 4, 2005
Review Date: Jan 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $310.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality is first rate. Lightweight. Good build and fast AF action.
Cons:
Color is not always pleasant although neutral. No other major bad points.

I have used this one for more than half a year. This is the only 3rd party lens I kept after experiencing half dozens 3rd party lenses on my Canon 10D/20D. I have not used Canon's 24-70mm L lens. However, when I compare the image quality of this one with Canon's 17-40 L, 28-80mm L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm, I am convinced that this is a very high quality lens.

First, its sharpness is in-line of Canon's L lenses. Over all, the sharpness beats that of Canon's 17-40 L. meets or exceeds 28-80mm L, gets very closed to 50mm (1.8 or 1.4) and 70-200mm. Its focus speed is fast enough and fairly quiet too. I don't feel it is significantly slower than my 17-40 L, although a little noiser. The Canon's 17-40L is almost dead quiet.

I don't agree that this lens is sharper than 50mm prime, epecially at aperture larger than 5.6. But its resolution really meets the 50mm one. The image from 70-200mm f4 seem sharper and more color-pleasant. But when you view the pictures at 100% size, you don't feel that the Tamron's pictures have less details. This one can deliver more sharp photos than Tamron's own 17-35mm lens. I feel that Tamron's 17-35mm zoon is over all sharper than Canon's 17-40L for still pictures.

The build quality of this lens is good enough for amateur uses. And price-wise, it is unbeatable. For my purpose, this is a much much better buy than Canon's 24-70mm. (If 24-70mm drops to $500, I would buy it.)

I think if you are advanced non-professional shooter, you must own this lens! I would not hesitate to rate this lens a 10.

Jan 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Photo_lc to your Buddy List
Xevion

Registered: Jan 23, 2005
Review Date: Jan 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $360.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Wide aperature, sharp, well built, inexpensive, warranty
Cons:
Not quite wide enough on the wide end on a 300D

For the money, I can't complain at all. In practice, this lens is as sharp as my Canon 50mm F1.8, except maybe at F2.8 (It isn't tack sharp there, but it's close). I haven't had very many opportunites to use this lens, but the ones I have have yielded excellent results. The limited macro function works well enough for those of us who want some close-up shots without really getting into macro photography, and it works nicely for portraits with its good bokeh.

If only it were a 24-75 like the Canon L lens, but at 1/3rd the price, I can't complain one bit.

Jan 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Xevion to your Buddy List
chopsam

Registered: Jan 19, 2005
Review Date: Jan 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $381.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Good build quality, good balance on my D60, awsome colour and sharpness
Cons:

I needed to get a new lens to replace my Canon 28-105. And after reviewing through the various forum, this lens came up top in my list. And the moment I lay my hand on it, the build quality is so much higher then the equivalent priced 28-105 from Canon. And for that price, you get a fast 2.8 lens !

After shooting some family photos for a week plus, it continue to amaze me in term of it's sharpness (edge to edge), even at 2.8 it's very usable. The wide aperture also means that I can shoot indoor without flash in a lot of the time.

Jan 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chopsam to your Buddy List
whiskey

Registered: Aug 1, 2003
Review Date: Jan 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Super sharpe
Cons:
slow focus, a bit noisy at times

Pros

Great bang for the buck. This lens is great wide open, on the 1D its the perfect walk around lens. Also enjoy the fact it can substitute as a macro lens in situations where you don't want to carry a dedicated marco lens.

Cons

Zoom rotates the opposite of my canon zooms. Doesnt have usm, so its a tad noisy. Sometimes it hunts a bit, but thats rare.

Overall great lens! For people who want one lens that can do a bit of everything, and don't want to shell out the cash for the L, then this lens should be HIGHLY on their list.

Jan 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add whiskey to your Buddy List
jviezel

Registered: Jan 17, 2005
Review Date: Jan 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $369.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, solid construction, lightweight and most of all price.
Cons:
Some minor flaring.

This is one of the best, most versatile lenses I've owned. I purchased it after reading so many positive reviews on this site. One of the best features is the large aperture of 2.8 that is constant.

This lens takes extremely sharp pictures with vibrant colors. It is light, but does not have that "flimsy" sort of feel that most kit lenses have.

Best of all, this lens is an extremely great value! you can get it from most large NY camera stores for under $400. In addition, when I purchased it, Tamron was offering a $30 rebate (not sure if this is still available).

As far as I'm concerned, this is one lens that any serious amateur photographer must have in their arsenal of lenses.

Jan 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jviezel to your Buddy List
Theresa Z.

Registered: Mar 19, 2002
Review Date: Dec 31, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $339.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Sharp and contrasty. Excellent optical performance. Light weight and very compact.
Cons:
Not crazy about the focus ring turning during autofocus. Not crazy about the odd 67mm filter size either, but I'll get an adapter to move it up to 77mm so my filters and universal hoods fit it.

This lens is a real sleeper. I originally purchased a 24-70 L and returned it for quality reasons and bought this lens. I wanted a lens to bridge my 17-40 and 70-200 so the additional 4mm on the wide end didn't matter a whole lot to me. This lens beats the copy of the 24-70 canon lens hands down for sharpness and contrast at the wide end. My copy of the Canon was poor all the way to around 35mm. This thing is wonderful for the full range. And with a 6 year warranty I think I'm pretty safe with this buy.

Dec 31, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Theresa Z. to your Buddy List
benjikan

Registered: Dec 10, 2004
Review Date: Dec 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $399.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast F 2.8. Extremely sharp even wide open. As sharp as my Canon17-40 L lens. Excellent contrast. Quite light given its' use of 14 Groups and 16 Elements.
Cons:

As a professional Fashion/Beauty and Advertising photographer of over twenty years, my demands for optical excellence are quite stringent. I recently used this lens for a fashion editorial shoot and can say that this lens is wonderful. Fast and accurate auto focus and brutally sharp at 3.2 and above. Very good at 2.8. I use this lens on a Canon 20D BG-E2 Grip and it marries very well with it. I shot some beauty close up images and was amazed by the detail that this little lens resolved. The eye lashes bounced off of the page. I was also very pleased with the color rendition. The contrast of this lens is perhaps the best of all of the lenses I own and have owned in the past. Control of flare is superb. There is very little vignetting especially on the 20D which has a 1.6 ratio. The "Bokeh" on the Tamron is beautifully rendered especially wide open. Be sure to purchase a UV filter for this lens to protect the front element and to avoid color shifting in some clothing dyes. I especially appreciate the close focus capabilities of this lens. Not quite a macro, but very close. I was initially concerned by the fact that this lens is polycarbonate in construction which attributes to its' light weight. After reading several reports regarding the manner in which Tamron utilizes this material, I am confident that they made a good compromise. Tamron has been able to decrease the price of this lens by setting up there manufacturing plant in China. R&D is still done in Japan. The components of this lens are also manufactured in Japan

I also own the Tamron XR Di Macro 90 2.8 lens and must say that these two lenses are the best of the Tamron arsenal.

Final point. Would I recommend this lens to a working professional? Yes, Yes, Yes unequivocally!

You may view some samples of my published work at my photo agent sites and by clicking on my name "Benjamin Kanarek".

http://www.virginiaberthy.com PARIS
http://www.slave-unit.com LONDON

You may also join my commercial photography group called FashionMode 1 at:

Dec 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add benjikan to your Buddy List
miles0823

Registered: Jan 11, 2004
Review Date: Dec 18, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $280.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP at 2.8...almost everything else
Cons:
focus speed, noisy, zoom creep

I love this lens! It is on my 20d almost all the time. I can shoot at 2.8 all day and achieve excellent results. The only issue is the QC. I had one of these about a year ago and sold it to step up to the canon 28-70. The 28-70 is a fantastic lens, but I quickly found that the only real advantage to the canon was focus speed (and build quality). I think the tamron holds its own when it comes to sharpness. I purchased another tamron off of ebay and it was horrible. I wound up returning the lens to the owner and wondering if this would continues to be an issue. I wound up finding a member here at FM that had one for sale and jumped on it. This time it hit the mark as the results were as good as my first copy. I will not give this lens up this time as I have learned my lesson! The canon equivalent is a fantastic lens, but I am not a pro so I spent about a third and got comparable results. If you get a good copy you will be thrilled with it. Focus is not in the league of usm, but still fairly fast. The only other thing is the zoom creep....has zoom lock, but I never use it....I just put up with it. Best value for the money I.M.H.O.

Dec 18, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add miles0823 to your Buddy List
doctordoom16

Registered: Dec 13, 2004
Review Date: Dec 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $349.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp and cheap (price not quality)
Cons:
slower AF and noisey, hunts in low light- but nothing dramatic

In a nutshell: I bought it, loved it, returned it because i thought i needed a "L" lense (24-70), returned the canon 24-70 because it wasn't any better optically (although build quality was superior by a long shot), repurchased the tamron. It is smaller, lighter, and 1/3 the price. It is not my favorite focal length and to pay the $1100 for the canon really hurt. I am thrilled with this lense. At first i didn't believe the reviews. How could a $350 lense outperform the $1100 L lense? It is true. Optically this gem pumps out great images. If you need a tank of a lense in this focal length, get the canon. If you like to save money and love sharp, contrasty pictures, get the tamron. highly recommended, even if you can afford the canon.

This is not my sharpest lense, but if you do a price/quality ratio comparison, this is my number one lense. My comparisons on sharpness are to my 135 f/2, one of canons sharpest lenses.

Dec 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add doctordoom16 to your Buddy List
winty

Registered: Sep 26, 2004
Review Date: Dec 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, value, hood included, zoom lock, compact
Cons:
Slow focus (compared to USM), noisy focus, no FTM

Brutal is the word that comes to mind. Brutally sharp, brutally noisy. This is not a lens that does things by halves. There are some really nice touches, like the zoom lock, and the fact the hood is supplied in the box, and the fact it can focus to (almost) macro distances. I even love the fact the lens cap can be easily removed with the hood on.

It's amazingly sharp but it really is noisy when acquiring focus. The focus ring rotates, and you can't tweak the focus by hand, which is OK because the focus is usually 100% correct. It's not the fastest focusing lens in the world, and in low light it can sometimes "hunt" for focus, which is frustrating.

Build quality seems rugged enough to me, although it certainly feels more fragile when zoomed. The rear end cap won't fit on a Canon lens alas. I think it's amazingly good value for money.

A rough diamond!

Dec 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add winty to your Buddy List
mfisnc

Registered: May 3, 2003
Location: Panama
Review Date: Nov 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $369.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: sharp at 2.8 on all range, light , small
Cons:
build a little bit light, not the canon color

small lens, very good sharpness at f2.8, like the canon lens, but the quality of fabric is a little bit light, the color are not as saturated as canon L lens , but the price is good,
I still prefer canon and I will sell it quickly

Nov 11, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mfisnc to your Buddy List
AlexPrudente

Registered: Sep 16, 2004
Review Date: Nov 11, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, fast, and inexpensive.
Cons:
Lens barrel extends when zooming.

Really, if you want a standard zoom (for Canon EOS system) with a maximum aperture of 2.8 then you have two real choices:

Canon's 24-70L or Tamron's 28-75XR. Obviously Canon's quality is higher. The question is: Is it worth the three times higher price and 1.86 times weight? For me, it wasn't even a possiblity - I was stuck with the Tamron. But I don't feel stuck now, I love this lens.

Nov 11, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AlexPrudente to your Buddy List
dhphoto

Registered: Feb 15, 2003
Review Date: Oct 26, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Really cracking little lens. Quite tight and well built, sharp from a stop and a half down through the range, good value, hood included. SO much smaller & lighter than the Canon 24-70 and still 2.8 AND 1/3 the price - excellent
Cons:
Focusing barrel rotates during autofocus, can't refocus manually (not USM) & lens extends on zooming. Not much to worry about

Needed a lighter companion for my 24-70 2.8L and this was recommended by the guys here on FM. A really good buy so far - I'm sure it will become my 'everyday' lens. Astonishingly small & light compared to the big Canon lens. No flaws found (yet)

Oct 26, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add dhphoto to your Buddy List
clsward

Registered: Oct 6, 2004
Review Date: Oct 21, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very Very Sharp, Good Contrast and Colour. Very Light, Lens Hood
Cons:
Maybe Build Quality

Only had this lense for a short while so this is an initial review.

The lens is not of L series construction. Saying that it is still solid and looks good. It is 35% of the cost of the L equivalent so what do you expect. Its up or above the construction quality of standard Canon Lenses.

So 4 out of 5 for build quality.

I find this lense sharper and bettter bokeh than nearly any lens I have ever tried, Equivalent to the Canon 70-200 F4 that I own, Contrast is also in the same league,

So 5 out of 5 for image quality

What about value for money? When you open the box and look at the lens for the first time you think "Looks OK". When I looked at the images on my PC I was gob smacked. Unbloody believeable.

Can I give 6 out of 5 for value for money?

If this falls within your budget and you want this range, then its a no boner, theres nothing in the same price range that compares, If you have 900 spare for the 24-70 L series Canon I would still consider this lens. Its so near the same quality and a damn sight lighter.

I love this lens, its mine mine mine,

Oct 21, 2004