Tokina 24-200mm AT-X 242 AF

38 132015 Mar 20, 2007
7.6
8232atx242af

The AT-X 242 AF is the first lens to start at 24mm and zoom all the way to 200mm, and is currently the widest zoom range available starting at 24mm. It is constructed using a chrome plated brass mount plate and a combination of aluminum and composite lens barrels to reduce weight while maintaining strength and durability.

Optically, the 242 uses high quality optical glass multicoated lens elements created by Hoya Corporation, the world’s largest manufacturer of optical glass. Two Aspherical lens elements and one SD (super low dispersion) glass element are employed in the optical design to insure sharpness across the film plane. The aspherical elements are each molded as one piece of optical glass rather than a resin laminated to a glass core.

An internal focusing mechanism gives this lens fast auto focus. Internal focus means the 72mm filter threads do not move during focusing. This is of great advantage when a special effects filter, such as a circular polarizer, is used. With an internal focusing lens it is not necessary to readjust the position of the filter every time the focus is changed. Focus distance is indicated on the manual focus ring.

Like the rest of the lenses in the AT-X series, The AT-X 242 AF is what is commonly referred to as a parafocal lens, meaning when focus is achieved at a telephoto focal length, it is possible to zoom back to a wide angle and maintain focus on the subject.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3

GPirnat

Registered: Jul 20, 2003
Review Date: Oct 18, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: I was searching for a very good to excellent walk around lens... and have found it. 24-200 range is excellent and give great options for gettting in nice and tight. Much better range than the standard 28-70 or even 28-75mm walk arounds. Not white so it doesn't attract too much attention. Weight goes well with both the 10D and 20D with grips. About 1/2 of my shots are in the very sharp range with about 40% considered sharp. Can't beat the price for this quality. Get a good one and you'll be quite pleased.
Cons:
Could be a little quicker on auto focus but is still reasonably fast.

Oct 18, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GPirnat to your Buddy List
antoleon

Registered: Sep 18, 2004
Review Date: Oct 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $215.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, 24-200, an all-terrain lens, sharpness from f5,6, building quality,short length for this range. The perfect back-up lens when travel. Did I say the price?
Cons:
Weight (but not so much... it is 24-200 after all!). It does not focus as fast as an expensive Canon lens, but it works pretty well for the price. Some distortion wide open. Filter 72mm.

I was looking for a back-up lens, something longer than the 18-55 EF-S from the original Canon 300D kit. I had heard of this lens and I was searching information about it. I bought it last summer and I did not regret it at all. I payed 260 euros (215$) and the quality I get in pictures is more than I imagined. Highly recommendable. I use 70-200mm f4L and 50mm f1.4, but never a short trip without the Tokina. First quality glass and a broad range of use.

Here you can see three samples:

Oct 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add antoleon to your Buddy List
Fred Bopp

Registered: Jan 2, 2002
Review Date: Aug 26, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $269.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Bought this lens for my 10D as all my L glass is used on the 1D MK2. Results are better than expected. Color and contrast are very good. The autofocus is fast and the lens handles very well. I figured to try it and send it back but was happy with the results and it is now a keeper.
Cons:
The only gripe is when you focus the manual focus ring turns so you have to remember to keep your fingers off that ring. I support the camera by the zoom ring to avoid problems and also to zoom out, focus and zoom back to wide for the shot.

This is a great backup lens and you can't beat the price.

Aug 26, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Fred Bopp to your Buddy List
setiprime

Registered: May 20, 2003
Review Date: Aug 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $319.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Built like a Tank. Good fit and finish. Well marked indicators. Good tight feel to everything. No creep when extended. The Parafocal feature is a winner!!
Cons:
Haven't found any real cons. For nit pickers, I suppose you could say the lens hood isn't the easiest to reverse for storage.

As a dyed-in-the-wool Canon owner I have stayed with their glass up to now. My Canon 28/135 IS, just wasn't getting the job done. My 100/400 was too much for the positions available.
I shoot a lot of Horse shows, especially Dressage events. Once the events starts, you aren't allowed to move about (distracts the horse and/rider).
The far side of the ring gave me less than full frame Horse and rider and the near side filled it too much.
The Tokina really takes care of both situations very nicely. I have found that it stays very sharp at both ends. Autofocus is quick and accurate. The only problem I had with AF was an attempt to Macro a bee on a flower and I didn't back off enough at first, the motor tried but I exceeded the closeness to the subject..Color is good. The Parafocal feature is worth the price by itself! No tendancy to creep when fully extended. Strongly recommend this lens for anyone that needs a quality, durable lens.

Aug 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add setiprime to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Jul 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Ok sharpness, Great contrast, 24mm(it says) Great range for a walk-around/travel lens, responsibly fast AF on my EOS 7, well built.
Cons:
a little bit heavy, flare(when near light source), too far for closest focus distance(0.8m), 72mm filter size

Well, it's a cool lens for everything(execpt macro). The color looks pretty good and it's sharp comparing to most simular ranged lenses. A great lens for money saver and new starter to use it before they buy their first serious(heavy) Lenses.

Jul 4, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
sjarriel

Registered: Jun 9, 2003
Review Date: Jul 5, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $299.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Great zoom range. Good build quality (on my unit at least). Quick autofocus. Ideal walkabout lens for DSLR's that have 1.5-1.6 crop factor.
Cons:
Softer focus than my L primes, but still quite acceptable. Not quite fast enough for indoor/night time sports,without resorting to 1600-3200ISO.

I had used a Sigma 'super-zoom' (28-300) on a Nikon F100 body, during a vacation trip, and I really liked the flexibility. I was disappointed in the softer images, compared to those from an 85 prime, taken a few weeks later. When I finally bought my 10D, I was looking for similar flexibility, but wanted a sharper image. I also was hoping for a bit wider view. Didn't have the money for a 24-70 (and also wanted a longer tele), so I tried this lens out. Haven't been disappointed yet. Images are sharp, and autofocus is quick (much faster than the Sigma lens). The lens is a bit heavy (no plastic, except for the included hood), and feels very solid.

Jul 5, 2003