Tokina 24-200mm AT-X 242 AF

38 132042 Mar 20, 2007
7.6
8232atx242af

The AT-X 242 AF is the first lens to start at 24mm and zoom all the way to 200mm, and is currently the widest zoom range available starting at 24mm. It is constructed using a chrome plated brass mount plate and a combination of aluminum and composite lens barrels to reduce weight while maintaining strength and durability.

Optically, the 242 uses high quality optical glass multicoated lens elements created by Hoya Corporation, the world’s largest manufacturer of optical glass. Two Aspherical lens elements and one SD (super low dispersion) glass element are employed in the optical design to insure sharpness across the film plane. The aspherical elements are each molded as one piece of optical glass rather than a resin laminated to a glass core.

An internal focusing mechanism gives this lens fast auto focus. Internal focus means the 72mm filter threads do not move during focusing. This is of great advantage when a special effects filter, such as a circular polarizer, is used. With an internal focusing lens it is not necessary to readjust the position of the filter every time the focus is changed. Focus distance is indicated on the manual focus ring.

Like the rest of the lenses in the AT-X series, The AT-X 242 AF is what is commonly referred to as a parafocal lens, meaning when focus is achieved at a telephoto focal length, it is possible to zoom back to a wide angle and maintain focus on the subject.

megane2

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Jun 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $340.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast and quiet focus, good torque zoom, solid build, very good colour, contrast and sharpness.
Cons:
Poor FT focus.

May be I have got a good copy, it simply works with my 20D.
It's cheaper than 85mm f1.8 but colour, contrast and sharpness is as good as L lens.

Lower the EV to reduce flare and CA.

Jun 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add megane2 to your Buddy List
wpa5911

Registered: Jun 12, 2005
Review Date: Jun 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $270.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The quality of this lens is excellent. It is solid built. The quality of the lens is very close to Canon L lens except the price is much lower. If you have problem with Canon 20D, it is not your lens' problem. It is the way Canon design the Canon 20D to take "soft" pictures. You should try to reset the Custom Function 01 at Quality so that you can take better pictures. This is a very good every lens.
Cons:
The lens has focus problem at the high zoom end under low light condition.

Jun 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wpa5911 to your Buddy List
David Lozoya

Registered: Jan 9, 2002
Review Date: May 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Built like a tank, easy to hold and well balanced.
Cons:
Optics are so-so

I tried this lens recently...hoping to match it up with a D60 for my son. No luck. Perhaps I received a bad copy.

My standard tests involve a brick wall, tripod mounted and check each f-stop and zoom range. Test was conducuted on a 20D. Second phase of my testing process is to test using everyday subjects.

The lens seems well built, just wished that the optics would have been up to the challenge. Optically, I was disappointed at the results. IMHO, the optics were OK...not great. The lens could achieve a satisfactory image if you worked at it. The images never poped out at me...no WOW factor. Please don't get me wrong...it can produce a sharp image at f8 but unfortunately only around the center of the frame, as you approached the edges (1.6 factor no less) the image became soft....always, regardless of f-stop used. The sweet spot (on my copy) was around 35-150. At 200mm the image iwas very soft even stopped down to f8.

I really wanted this lens to work as I thought it would have been a perfect walk-around for my son. Very easy to send this one back...

May 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add David Lozoya to your Buddy List
JohnLL

Registered: Oct 10, 2004
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Apr 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image quality, build, price
Cons:

AF is quiet and accurate. Fast enough for general use, but not for action (but not appreciably slower than the Canon 28-200 USM). I got this lens because I thought my Canon 28-200 was on the soft side, and I wanted the extra FOV at the wide end. I am getting sharper results from the Tokina. This is a nice lens to use.

Apr 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JohnLL to your Buddy List
walder

Registered: Jan 24, 2005
Location: United Arab Emirates
Review Date: Apr 14, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

After having used this lens for eight months, it started giving "err99" on my Canon 300D, when stopped down. The problem continued when I upgraded to the Canon 20D - even locked up the camera when the camera was set on full manual mode.

Apr 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add walder to your Buddy List
GungaDin

Registered: Feb 24, 2005
Review Date: Apr 13, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $340.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: Build quality, zoom range, AF quiet and fast
Cons:
Catastrophic optically.

Had received this lens today and taken over 100 test shots, the results thereof made me return it immediately. The were NO sharp shots whatsoever achievable at focus lengths below 50 mm, regardless of stopping down to f/11 or f/16. Above 50 mm, and with increasing focal length, the lens began to deliver results that were "acceptable", but only if stopped down to f/11 and beyond, and only so in the near-focus range. BTW it produced an "err99" message two times whereby it locked up the camera, and showed abnormal AF behaviour (hunting from end-to-end) twice. Contrast / brilliance were poor even under perfect daylight shooting conditions, flare-proneness was obvious. However, I couldn't notice any visible, obvious distortions and vignetting - most likely due to the fact that these tests were carried out with the Canon 20D DSLR, a 1,6x crop camera.
Build quality, "look and feel", handling, AF quietness and AF speed were very good, giving me the impression of a well-made, sturdy, "non-plastic" lens. Truly a pity that this lens isn't a performer even though it seems to look the business.

Apr 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add GungaDin to your Buddy List
Sailaire

Registered: Oct 28, 2004
Review Date: Mar 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price to performance is the best out there. Walk around range (28-135) is close to "L" from my comparisons.. Sharp, Contrast, Quality build, Price. Easy to hold. Impressive looking on camera.
Cons:
No negatives for my use. Some may find it heavier that other "super zooms" but it's the same weight as a Canon 70-200 4L.

I took a long time to decide on this lens. I had a 24-85 USM and wanted more reach. I took shots with all the 70-200 contenders for an add on lens as well as the Tamron and Canon Super zooms. My most important criterial was sharpness and cost.

It came down to the Canon 70-200 4L as an add, the Canon 28-135 IS as a replacement and the Tokina 24-200 as a replacement.

The cost for the excellent Canon lens was 2X and 3X that of the Tokina.

The Tokina sharpness is closer to the 70-200 4l than the 28-135. The difference is most noticeable at 200, but hard to differentiate in the 70-140 range.

If you don't need IS, and want the best overall range and sharpness for a general purpose lens at an amazing price, you won't be dissappointed.

It's a winner!

Mar 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sailaire to your Buddy List
jimyd

Registered: Mar 23, 2005
Review Date: Mar 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: zoom range, build quality
Cons:
heavy,

slight vignetting at 24mm fully open.

Mar 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimyd to your Buddy List
akilorange

Registered: Jan 2, 2005
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Feb 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, contrasty good colors, Lightweight compact and well built
Cons:
Focus somtimes hunts. I often have to move the zoom a tiny little bit back to get focus lock.

I bought this lens after reading about it here on Fredmiranda. I wanted one compact travel lense.

This lens has really surpriced me by being sharp, contrasty on all it´s focal lenghts, and very well built. I have to admit that most of my pictures taken with it are on F8.0. I still have to try it more on brighter settings. But so far I really like it for what I bought it for. NO REGRETTS.

I also have 17 40, 70 200 2.8 and the 100 400IS. This lense is not as fast focusing as these lenses but as a travel lens it does excellent job.

I´m thinking about subscribeng for FM gallery and then I will post some pictures.

Feb 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add akilorange to your Buddy List
walder

Registered: Jan 24, 2005
Location: United Arab Emirates
Review Date: Feb 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Optical quality, build, zoom range, price
Cons:
Bulky

An excellent walkaround lens with its 24-200 coverage. For a family man, this is a great lens to leave on the camera and to take on family outings without the hassle of changing lenses in the field. Images are sharp and contrasty, autofocus is reasonably fast.

In spite of its 8x zoom ratio, quality of images is comparable to a 3.5x zoom ratio lens.

A bit chunky with the Canon 300D, but with a larger camera, gives much better balance. Solid metal construction, gives a very good feel.

The only real complaint I have is that there seems to be some 'play' when fitted to my Canon 300D.

All in all, a very useful lens to have, and very good value for money. If you are looking for a good quality large zoom ratio lens, this is the one to have - within its category, this lens would rate as excellent.

Feb 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add walder to your Buddy List
1decmal8Tango

Registered: Nov 26, 2004
Review Date: Feb 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $299.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Build, range, fast focusing, price, sharpness.
Cons:
could be sharper in low light, but nothing a little PS cant fix.

Wanted a good lens for my 20D for those days when you dont know whats ahead. I love it so far. built like a tank. some people say its heavy, but I dont think so.

pretty sharp. About as sharp as my canon 50mm f/1.8II

Heres a couple pics with it (w/hood) attatched to my 20D

heres a shot I took with it the day I got it. could have been brighter, but thats my fault, not the lens'.

Feb 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add 1decmal8Tango to your Buddy List
SethChernak

Registered: Jan 15, 2005
Review Date: Jan 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $85.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, heavy, well balanced, good contrast, excellent walk-around
Cons:
Occasional focus search, but still quick to rectify

I bought this lens used, for a simple walk-around, with a few light scratches on the front element, and as such, have had no problems at all with it.

Pictures are very sharp, and color and contrast is good as well. I've used many other lenses (Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 85mm f1.8 & 1.2) and seen the results. While this lens will (obviously) not stack up against those, for the price paid, and the fact that it is a 3rd party lens, this beats the Canon 28-200 USM hands down.

The build quality is excellent, while some may complain about the weight of lenses, I prefer them to be heavy, as I know that a heavy lens means good build quality. I have never had a problem with flare, from either indoors (shooting basketball games with flash), or outdoors under bright sunlight, with or without the lens hood.

Others may complain about the sharpness, or the slow focus, but they're comparing it to high-end glass, and not realizing the differences in price-paid to product-received. I would suggest this for any photographer looking for good quality in a simple walk-around.

Jan 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SethChernak to your Buddy List
oriwo

Registered: Oct 7, 2004
Review Date: Jan 27, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 3

Pros: Excellent build quality.
Cons:
Bad sharpness and contrast. "Ghost-Pictures"

I tested this zoom on my Pentax Ist Ds. The build quality of this zoom is superb. Picture quality is really bad on this DSLR. Poor sharpness and contrast and "Ghostpictures" if you photograph white figures on black ground with flash.

Jan 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add oriwo to your Buddy List
sino408

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Jan 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $269.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Price, zoom range, build
Cons:
weight

A heavy walk-around lens that will suit most of your routine shooting needs. 3.5 aperture left more to be desired but is enough for entry-level or amateur shooting (which I am). I'd think professional people that make money from their cameras or people with a larger budget can afford and definitely deserve more from this truly beginner's lens. It's girth will wow people that happen to be around you when you pull this monster out.

Dimensions:

7.5cm diameter
9.5cm length

comes with lens hood

Jan 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sino408 to your Buddy List
seagrove01

Registered: Dec 16, 2004
Review Date: Dec 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Good fit and finish, decent sharpness/resolution/contrast
Cons:

Wanted a lens that covered wide angle to telephoto when I went to the UK in 2003 with an Nikon F100. Shot nothing but Kodak Tri-X and had a ball. Went back to the UK in Nov 2004 using the Tokina w/Nikon D2H. Because of the lens factor (1.5x) I also took my Nikkor 18-35. Still used my Tokina about 85% of the time. Still very satisfied with the lens. Looking to buy the Tokina 12-24mm f4 when it hits the streets in Jan 2005.

Dec 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add seagrove01 to your Buddy List
ijshusky

Registered: Dec 13, 2004
Review Date: Dec 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, zoom range, sharp most of time, fast AF
Cons:
None noticed

Just got this lens a couple of days ago. I have already taken almost 700 pictures with this lens. I am totaly happy with it.

It is the best suitable for out door usages, but I have managed to use it indoors with some good results as well.

Dec 13, 2004