Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

99 217055 Jun 12, 2014
3029ef_50_18_1_

Canon's first revision of the standard focal length prime.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

fozzybear1969

Registered: Oct 27, 2004
Review Date: Nov 15, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, Great bokeh, great for low light, sharp pictures, good contrast, very very light.
Cons:
Not USM, plastic mount.

This is the best bargan lens out there and I am glad that I bought this lens. I use it to photograph models and people and the image quality is comparable to an L lens. I love the fact that it is light which great for my shakey hands holding heavy equipment. At f1.8 this lens produces great bokeh and is a great lens for low light situations. Wish it was USM, but Canon wants you to the more expensive 50mm 1.4 USM. Wish it had a metal mount but that is why this lens is so light, again Canon wants you to buy the 50mm 1.4 USM. For such a low price and a great lens I should not complain.

Nov 15, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fozzybear1969 to your Buddy List
phiggys

Registered: Apr 7, 2004
Review Date: Oct 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, Quality, Fast f1.8 Mk1 are better built and a match for the F1.4
Cons:
If you have the MK1 nothing but the MK II is very plastic and feels fragile in comparison.

Have owned both MK 1 and MK II version of this lens and also the f1.4
IMO the MK1 50 f1.8 is the pick of the bunch.
Its also makes a nice portrait lens on the 10D.

Oct 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add phiggys to your Buddy List
miles0823

Registered: Jan 11, 2004
Review Date: Oct 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $130.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Great Value
Cons:
Loud focus motor

These seem to be getting harder to find. I have a love-hate relationship. I have had 3 and for some reason seem to think I don't use it enough to keep it. As soon as I sell it I want one again. Go figure? To bad some of the reviewers below rated the mark II instead of the mark I. This lens was rated very high until that happened. There is a completely different 50mm on the list if you look a little harder.....

Oct 30, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add miles0823 to your Buddy List
optician

Registered: Oct 16, 2004
Review Date: Oct 16, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $65.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, sharp, effectively a portrait lens when shooting digital
Cons:
none for the price

Have to agree with what others say about the positive qualities of this lens, it's a little treasure. I've also used mine with extension tubes for macro shots which have been absolutely tack sharp.

Oct 16, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add optician to your Buddy List
mdude85

Registered: Apr 11, 2004
Review Date: Sep 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $65.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Inexpensive, uncluttered and easy to use, very sharp at all apertures, nice bokeh
Cons:
plastic build and mount, no distance meter on the Mark II, not very wide on a 1.6 crop

I can vouch that the 50 mm 1.8 is very very sharp... nice maximum aperture gives smooth, low depth of field wide open. Lens is easy to use, crisp, sharp, light, and produces little or no halo effects or chromatic abberation. The 52 mm thread size is very common so it's easy to put standard polarizers and filters on it.

The only problem with this lens is that on a DSLR with a 1.6 crop factor, it's not wide at all ... it is a good portrait lens only if you stand pretty far away from your subjects. For a "standard lens" it is quite zoomed on my D30. But other than that I really like it a lot, and the price can't be beat.

NOTE: Some pictures seem a little soft, but I think that is the nature of the D30, and not the lens.

Sep 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mdude85 to your Buddy List
photojunkie

Registered: Sep 1, 2004
Review Date: Sep 1, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $130.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Price, 1.8 aperature, durable, compact
Cons:
Slow to focus. Especially in really low light.

Someone mentioned the poor plastic design.

I have actually dropped this lens out of my bag and on to the concrete or asphalt grouns twice now. And it bounced and rolls without and damage to the lens.

Extremely durable and extremely handy in low light situations, especially for the price.

Sep 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add photojunkie to your Buddy List
Tim Speciale

Registered: Jul 21, 2004
Review Date: Jul 21, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, light weight, snappy focus, sharp as a tac, shallow DOP with creamy bokeh, great in low light, nice focal length
Cons:
None...

I spent weeks searching for this lens, no one could keep it in stock, i eventually got it on ebay. One of my best buys to date.

Many people complain about the build quality of this (the MKII) lens but i personally dont mind it. I wish it had a metal mount, and the scale like the MKI. But this "cheap" build quality allows it to be darn light. Out of my 5 lenses (including a 70-200 f/2.8 L) this is by far on my camera the most.

It snaps into focus, not as quick as a USM motor...but at $70-$90 this lens is a must have and is great for those just starting out...and those who have been doing it a while (although i suspect these people already own one)

The zoom length is perfect: 35mm=50 which is great for most work, 1.6 crop turns it into an 80mm lens which is great for portraits

Example shots:

Jul 21, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tim Speciale to your Buddy List
Rob Ernsting

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Review Date: Jul 12, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, very cheap and I fall in love from the first shot on with 1.8 effect fully open.
Cons:
None, I have the old version from before the MarkII

I used to have a 1.8 on my Konica FP in the 60's. I had a 1.8 on the Olympus C4040, fixed lens. Now I have it on my Canon EOS 10D and I can honestly say the 1.6 cropfactor makes it a perfect portrait lens. I was lucky to find an excellent item of the original make for a bargain second hand price.
Right away I went into dark corners of a pub and checked it out, superb in color and the focused items are great leaving a nice blur in the for- and background. With f 8 you can make fabulous sharp images. I have never felt so happy with a lens as this one.
I own the excellent 17-40mmL USM and the low quality 28-135 mm IS USM as well.
I can make shots with the 50mm 1.8 and crop those and still be sharper and have more contrast and definition than with the 28-135 at full f.l. of 135 mm
If you own a 300D or 10D try to get one.

Jul 12, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rob Ernsting to your Buddy List
evilenglishman

Registered: Jun 21, 2004
Review Date: Jun 21, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: price, weight, F1.8
Cons:
slow focus, plastic

a must have for anyone with a canon camera. I've use the 1.4 and the 1.8 versions of Canon's 50mm and have to say i dont see much (if any) difference in final image quality.
The non USM focusing is not as fast as it could be but for the price who cares!

Jun 21, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add evilenglishman to your Buddy List
jclark58

Registered: Mar 6, 2003
Review Date: Jun 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $65.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Inexpensive, sharp, well built, distance scale, focus ring.
Cons:
Non-USM focus.

Yes it's a standard lenght, rather bland when compared to a nice wide angle or a medium telephoto let alone a zoom. Bargains can still be found, I picked one up a second on e*ay earlier this year (with a EOS 750 body) for less than a new 50mm Mk II sells for. The distance scale, focus ring, metal mount, and better build quality certainly distinguish this lens from it's newer (optically identical) svelter younger brother.

Certainly one of the best buys in the Canon lens lineup.

Jun 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jclark58 to your Buddy List
phidong

Registered: Feb 19, 2004
Review Date: Jun 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This is my sharpest lens. Its a cheapie, but I always finding myself using it when I'm low on light. What can I say? Its a great value!
Cons:

Jun 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phidong to your Buddy List
samirkharusi

Registered: Sep 16, 2002
Location: Oman
Review Date: Jun 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap and very sharp when closed down a "little" bit
Cons:
Not sharp enough to shoot digital starscapes, even at f2.8, but then, neither is the 50/1.4

For tongue-in-cheek examples of what can be done with this lens (actually the Mark I), including macros, panos, and extra-galactic photography (honest!), see:

Jun 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add samirkharusi to your Buddy List
MarkSaperstein

Registered: Sep 23, 2003
Review Date: Jun 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $125.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Metal mount and distance scale. Great image quality.
Cons:
Noisy autofocus.

This review is for the older version of the 50mm f/1.8 with the metal mount. Several other reviewers seem to have mistaken this thread for the newer Mk II plastic version of this lens. I have used two copies of this lens. I have also used a Mk II version, and I now have the 50mm f/1.4. My experience is that the metal mount version is slightly better than the Mk II, and the f/1.4 is better than both of the f/1.8s. In this price range, there is not much to complain about. This lens is sharper than any consumer zoom at 50mm.

Jun 2, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add MarkSaperstein to your Buddy List
marksct

Registered: Nov 3, 2002
Review Date: May 25, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $65.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light. Sharp, Excellent clarity, color.
Cons:
Build. Made of plastic. So you buy three for the price of the f1.4 and save them for when one wears out.

Money!
My portrait lens on my 10D.

The best value for a photo lens in the world, bar none.

Everyone should have this in their bag.

May 25, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add marksct to your Buddy List
adrian-e

Registered: May 12, 2004
Review Date: May 13, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $85.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, sharp, contrast, cheap, light and fast AF
Cons:
Poor build quality, lack of distance scales, extending zoom (front element)

This is a fine lense: sharper than my 70-200 f/4L, lighter than my 17-40 and cheaper than both Smile. I'm glad this one is not that expensive as my lenses take a real beating sometimes.

I love this thing for portraits and low-light situations.

May 13, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add adrian-e to your Buddy List
Derek_S

Registered: Sep 22, 2003
Review Date: Sep 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: It's really cheap!
Cons:
It's really cheap(ly built)!

Surgeon General's Warning : Use of this lens "filterless" on female portraiture is extremely hazardous to your health. In some instances, you will receive a kick to the groin upon showing women pictures of them taken with this lens.

Outside of that, this is the Grado SR-60 (if you get that reference, you are really, really, really cool. Really.) of the photography world. It's sharp, has a nice contrast, focuses relatively well in low light, and cheap to boot!

Sep 22, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Derek_S to your Buddy List

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8