Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

104 215411 Jun 12, 2014
3029ef_50_18_1_

Canon's first revision of the standard focal length prime.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

eoser

Registered: Jan 19, 2004
Location: Poland
Review Date: Apr 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: The best EF Canon lens (money and quality)
Cons:
---

tell you short: 95% of my work, I was shooting with this glass
this is my FAVOURITE lens http://www.shushyn.com

Apr 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eoser to your Buddy List
pascal03

Registered: Jan 21, 2005
Review Date: Apr 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images at f2.8 and over, but acceptable sharpness fully open. Old style canon build quality makes a significant difference when compared to the Mk II plastic mount version. Distance scale is useful. Picked it up used for under $100
Cons:
Not USM, but then again, there is the 50mm f1.4 USM for those who want USM.

Have no choice but to give this lens a 10. It makes for an extremely sharp portrait lens and all around general purpose lens.

Also had read somewhere in this forum or other forum discussions that this lens was not very sharp fully open. Not entirely true. It is a sharp lens and people buying this lens now should also realize that they are getting a used copy and a lot of things could have happened to their used copy versus a brand new 50 1.8 Mk 1.
Fully open, this lens yields excellent detail and clarity in situations where flash photography is not allowed. Stopped down things only get better at f2.0, f2.8, f3.5, beyond which it levels out to where I really can't tell the difference between f5.6 or f11 or f16...

Some pictures taken with this lens lack the "eye popping" "awesome picture" feeling, but this could be user error on my part or maybe I am comparing this lens and expecting the same results as canon's "L" lenses. The bookeh is acceptable, but I have not always gotten the smooth velvety look I get from the 70-200 L or the 17-40L or the 135 L. I have to keep reminding myself that this is not an "L" lens and then I am very impressed with the pictures. Then again, it is 1/10th the price of an "L" prime.

Lately I have been trying it out with extension tubes for close up photography and the results are satisfactory. I don't mind the noisy motor, especially since I did not pay the price for a USM lens. If I had a reason to buy another 50mm EF lens, I would still consider getting a good copy of the Mk 1 f1.8 rather than pay twice the price for a USM version.

All said, it is a very good lens for the right price. Given the price of the Mk II is around $90, it would definitely be worthwhile to pay up to $150 for a mint copy of the 50mm f1.8 Mk I.

Apr 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pascal03 to your Buddy List
abargath

Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Location: Iceland
Review Date: Mar 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Small, light, focus is fast and good aperture. Built pretty well, at least compared to the new version. Optically pretty much as good as they come.
Cons:
Ugly bokeh (compared to 1.4 version or 24-70L).

Optically great, give it a 10 there easily. Used this lens very very very much, love the big aperture and everything about it but I exchanged it for a 50mm 1.4 about a month ago. Here are the reasons why I exchanged it.

1. Wanted better bokeh, the 5 bladed diapragm wasn“t delivering as good images regarding bokeh as I had grown accustomed to from the 24-70L.

2. Wanted an USM focus motor.

3. I could afford it.

4. Not really the reason, but I was curious about what could be done with a 1.4 aperture.

If I was a poor student I wouldn“t have parted with this lens for anything but I could afford the 1.4 lens so I did. I sold this lens to one of my good friends and I know it has a good home now, normally I would just have kept it for the memories or as a backup but I wanted to do him a favor as he is just starting out in the SLR world.

Mar 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add abargath to your Buddy List
kcmh

Registered: Jul 11, 2004
Review Date: Feb 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything is perfect on this lens
Cons:

Bought mine used at a local camera store for 60 bucks. I have never had a better lens, even though I use this lens very little it is the perfect lens. Only thing better is $1000 and up

Feb 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kcmh to your Buddy List
vrosario63

Registered: Jan 9, 2005
Review Date: Feb 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great pics....Very sharp compaired to todays lens. It will be the perfect portrait lens at tha 1.6 crop factor of the 20D...It's ol school focus drive is noisy so what...For the money and the clarity it can't be beat...Manual focus is tight and it uses a metal mount as to where the new 50mm 1.8 mkII uses plastic.
Cons:
Noisy focus drive....

Feb 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vrosario63 to your Buddy List
Antti29

Registered: Jan 27, 2005
Review Date: Feb 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $160.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Cheap, fast and light.
Cons:
Slow and noisy autofocus, not so sharp at large apertures.

I was lucky to come across the first version of the EF 50mm f/1.8 at an Internet action. Although I paid a higher price than that of a new mk II, I got a decent focus ring, a metal lens mount and a distance scale, which all are missing from the newer model.

In my tests I found the sharpness to be quite poor wide open and steadily increasing towards f/8. Corners were softer than the center. However, that's the only complaint I have in terms of picture quality. Both colours and contrast seem to be fine.

The slow and noisy autofocus motor is something that I don't like about this lens, as is the 5-blade diaphragm, which makes out-of-focus highlights pretty ugly.

For the money the EF 50mm f/1.8 is an excellent buy. If you find one, go buy it even if it meant paying a bit more than for the mk II.

Feb 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Antti29 to your Buddy List
mdwhaley

Registered: Oct 17, 2002
Review Date: Jan 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great portrait focal length on a 10d. 1.8, image quality
Cons:

I got this lens years ago with an Elan II E so I didn't know what to say I paid for it. Free as far as I'm concerned. I probably should have given it a better build quality rating since I fell off my bike onto the camera face down on this lens on concrete. The fall jammed the lens since the front moves in and out when focusing. I managed to get it working again but ever since it isn't quite as fast and it can hunt for focus more than it ever did before. It is still tack sharp though. Apparently the damage did not affect the accuracy. Images from this lens are very sharp. Good color and contrast. This is the bar for which all Canon lenses should be compared in terms of image quality. I think everyone should have this lens, or the version II I guess since this one isn't made anymore.Really get this lens.

Jan 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mdwhaley to your Buddy List
paparazzinick

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Jan 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp wide open, inexpensive, light, quick focus
Cons:
cheap build, plastic mount

I use this for portraits and for indoor sports where I can get close to the action. It focuses fast, not as fast as USM, but fast enough to keep up with gymnastics, basketball and volleyball.Great lens wide open, lots of contrast and very sharp.

Jan 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add paparazzinick to your Buddy List
LiVeR

Registered: Jul 26, 2004
Review Date: Jan 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $103.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: very light, inexpensive, big aperture ! very little aberations and all around great sharpness.
Cons:
a little noisy, plastic ring, 52mm filter size. but these are all normal factors considering I got a new lens for 125$ cdn price tag.

This is my first prime lens and certainly not the last one i'm going to get,
its sharpness is unmatched through all my lenses, its light and inexpensive,
I seem to be taking alot of portraits lately and this seems to be exactly what I needed. crazy amount of light means faster shutters, nice heavy bokeh,
for that price, i'm laughing Smile

I was debating this lens against the 50mm canon macro.
took this one over the macro because it was 6 times on the price tag.
and because of the reviews on FM of course !

Jan 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add LiVeR to your Buddy List
elOsito

Registered: Dec 29, 2004
Review Date: Dec 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: durabilty, all the other stuff that was already mentioned
Cons:

i'm jusing the MK I my mother bought when i was about a year old - that was in 1986! it has been all over the world and now it's on my 300D/20D.

it was and it still is great, nothing more i have to say Smile never heard my mom complaining - and neither will i!

buy it, you won't regret it!

Dec 29, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add elOsito to your Buddy List
Mr Pixcel

Registered: Dec 30, 2003
Review Date: Dec 26, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $60.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: worth every penny

Great Lens for the price

Dec 26, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mr Pixcel to your Buddy List
Dan Martin

Registered: Sep 7, 2004
Review Date: Dec 23, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $98.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great low light lens. Sharp and good contrast. Amazing value.
Cons:
None at this price

Dec 23, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dan Martin to your Buddy List
richyoung

Registered: Nov 1, 2002
Review Date: Dec 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $85.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: By far my favorite lens, everyone should have one
Cons:

Dec 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add richyoung to your Buddy List
Carl Auer

Registered: Mar 14, 2004
Review Date: Dec 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: light, cheap, fast
Cons:
AF not as fast, light, and cheap feeling

For the money, a great, fast lens. I bought it for low light and indoor sports, but doubt I will use it much for sports. It tends to be a little short for what I want, and the AF in my opionion was not that quick. Also feels very cheap (I have the plastic mount Mk II). But you can not go wrong with a $75 1.8 lens.

Dec 7, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Carl Auer to your Buddy List
howiemudge

Registered: Nov 29, 2004
Review Date: Dec 3, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very quick to focus and very sharp. The contrast and colour are also both excellent. For the money this lens is hard to beat IMHO. I constantly am amazed that I can get such professional results from a lens I paid £60 for. Superb.
Cons:
The only down side is the build quality but what do you expect for £60 :)

Dec 3, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add howiemudge to your Buddy List
Drioannis

Registered: Nov 22, 2004
Location: Greece
Review Date: Nov 29, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $65.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Very light,low cost prime,with very good performance for the price
Cons:
Plastic mount,no distance indicator(MkII)

I have the MkII which is great for the money.It is light and with f/1.8 very usable.Excellent value for money.

Nov 29, 2004