Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

104 215184 Jun 12, 2014
3029ef_50_18_1_

Canon's first revision of the standard focal length prime.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

Joshua June

Registered: May 14, 2007
Review Date: May 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $149.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Cheap, Clear, Grabs ambient Light, fairly well constructed, MK I
Cons:
AF a little slow... but faster then cheap lenses... thus not much a neg (in low light manual focus is better anyway)

This Lens is hard to find, and not to be confused with the MK II. Also to set something straight as I adventure into the photography world of professionals... why complain about AF motor being loud, who cares? really? thats like saying you don't like the black color of the lens, good grief. Its not even that loud.

Anyway Compared to the L glass I have seen I'm not sure I would even call you spoiled, buying the 1.2 L 50 mm would make you unfortunate, a waste of clarity and money. Buy an L zoom, but buy this as your prime.

Looking at the context of the price and purpose of the lens some other photographers comlained about it lacking the depth or reach of their other lens etc. etc. ... Then why did you buy a 50mm? It was clearly marked when you bought it, also like buying a 100 - 300 mm Canon and complaining about not having enough wide angle... good God.

So, for the context of the purpose of this lens, find it, buy it. The Tamron lens (s) I own are shadowed by the capabilities of this fine piece it will not fall apart, its built right, it will be clearer then most L lenses and will cost less then third party makers at the same mm length.

May 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joshua June to your Buddy List
Re-volver

Registered: Dec 14, 2005
Review Date: Apr 13, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast enough, sharp, very precise autofocus performance in also a bit lower light, manual focus ring, first EOS lenses constructed with care and ambition. Better and more precise AF than in 50/1.4 or 50/2.5 Macro (used both).
Cons:
Plasticy, same feel as 50/1.4, but better than 50/1.8 II.

I also had 50/1.4. The reason I sold it was because my 50/1.8 I performed much better when it comes to autofocus precision and the difference became greater in low light. To me, autofocus reliability is one of the most important things when shooting quick outdoor portraits for instance. Maybe I just got a bad copy of 50/1.4 but I turned to keeping just my 1.8 I because I love it.

Apr 13, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Re-volver to your Buddy List
riversen

Registered: Apr 7, 2006
Review Date: Mar 28, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $95.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: A good price if you are broke... okay, if you are looking for a decent piece of glass at near rock bottom prices, then this is it.
Cons:
This is cheaply constructed, the bokeh is not that good (f/1.4 USM is much better), slow to focus, best results at f/2.2, loud, and I have noticed viginetting and flaring.

Well, I think I summed it up well already. It is nice for the price, but you get what you pay for. I think an investment in the next step would yield much better results.

Mar 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add riversen to your Buddy List
Mick Dooley

Registered: Mar 4, 2007
Review Date: Mar 6, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great IQ, colour and contrast. Fast
Cons:
Nothing worth mentioning

One of the best lens I've ever used. I'm reluctant to take it off the 400D. So, AF takes 0.5 seconds and the motor is audible, and yes it did hunt when I tried shots by candlelight. Any shot not perfect was muggins fault, not the lens. Believe me, you'll live with the minor limitations when you see the results.

Mar 6, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mick Dooley to your Buddy List
_ECK_

Registered: Sep 9, 2003
Review Date: Feb 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, cheap, light, good contrast and color.
Cons:
None for the price. Hard to find nowadays.

This is the best value for the money in Canon line up.
Much better built than the newer MKII plastic version.

At wide open it's fairly sharp and very usable, but it vignettes a lot at f/1.8 on a 5D.

From f2.2 everything get better : incredibly sharp, nice color and contrast.

Feb 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add _ECK_ to your Buddy List
svx94

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Dec 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $160.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp and cheap
Cons:
Noisy and slow focus

I sold this lens a while back to get the better 50/F1.4 USM. I don't even know it was a smart move or not. The guy who got it is still happy with it.

The Mark I 50/1.8 is a really good value. At a price that is cheaper than many UV filters, this lens delivered sharp image, good color...

This is the lens get me into portrait shooting. I use 20D, so it is practically a 80mm/1.8, good for head-shouder portrait. It is a too long for full body, and too short for tight framed head shot. But it is an important lens for me. It made me start thinking about light, bokeh, etc.

As mentioned, it is slow and noisy in focus area. I wanted to be a little for serious on portrait, so I upgraded to F1.4.

Cheers!

Dec 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svx94 to your Buddy List
mr peas

Registered: Mar 7, 2006
Review Date: Oct 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Very Sturdy, Very Sharp Images, Incredible Bokeh for the price, Very Fast Lens (F1.8)
Cons:
Mk1 has a very loud focusing motor. Its old!

I acquired this lens from my father after already purchasing the MkII version of the same lens. Basically, I sold the MkII because I didn't need two of the same lenses!

First off, the image quality on the MkI and MkII is basically the same. Anyone who tells you otherwise is way too picky. The build quality on the MkI is much more sturdy than the MkII, but I think the MkII's motor is much more quiter or smoother. However, they both react the same way.

The DOF meter is useful, but I think its there just for looks. All you need to do is use your viewfinder and use the DOF preview button to see how your camera will react to the photo you're about to take.

The MkI and MkII are great buys. If you can pick up either one I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Understand that these lenses arent necessarily pick-up and automatically you're shooting sharp! You have to take the time to compose the image, move yourself back and forth to focus perfectly and make sure your exposure, aperture and ISO settings are all working together. It takes some practice to get really good at it. Don't expect to be 'superphotog' with it from the get-go! The lens is only as good as the photog using it.

Overall, its a great lens. Get the Mk1 or Mk2, it doesnt matter. Personally, I would use the Mk2 because its quiter and if it breaks at least I can buy another one. If my Mk1 breaks, I cant necessarily head over to B&H and pick another one up.

Its a great lens to learn proper composition, plus its a lot of fun experimenting with Bokeh!

Sample Images I took:

Oct 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mr peas to your Buddy List
Fabio Pignata

Registered: Sep 14, 2006
Review Date: Sep 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, cheap, much better built than mark II. makes night shooting possible. super nice focal lenght for digital SLR. Very light and little, easy to bring along.
Cons:
Not so many around and only second hand. Usuall more expensive than a new mark II

Sep 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Fabio Pignata to your Buddy List
phil93_93

Registered: Aug 7, 2004
Review Date: Jul 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp!!!!!!!!!!!
Cons:
It was hit or miss untill I got use to it...(I shot at 1.8 ALL the time)

Great lens...Great price

Pictures speak for themselves...

Jul 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add phil93_93 to your Buddy List
kevmar

Registered: Sep 25, 2005
Review Date: Jul 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp, lovely brokeh, doesn't feel like its going to fall apart on you in one usage
Cons:
out of manufacture, prices over inflated in the second hand market

I was lucky when i got mine. It was in a second hand "Cash Comverters" style shop, and they didn't know what they had (it was attached on an old EOS750 that I've still got to fleabay sometime).

The unit itself was sound, and focusing was smooth throughout. Like the Mark II, the motor is noisey, but the opticis are sharp thoughout. The distance scale i've found is helpful when working away from the camera, as is that lovely manual zoom ring which far more accessable than the Mark2.

On a 1.6 body, this becomes the ideal portrait lens, and as such, I've used it for photoshoots, and its a life saver when you have 2 constant lights, and not much more.

If you're having trouble getting hold of a Mark1, get a 2 and live with it... but if you can locate one at a reasonable price, get it.

Jul 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kevmar to your Buddy List
Grant Oakes

Registered: Jun 5, 2004
Review Date: Jun 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $79.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Tack sharp, good color and incredible Bokeh
Cons:
A bit slow on AF

When considering a low light lens for wedding work I thought this would be the best bang for the buck. I was not wrong! I considered the 50mm 1.4 but for more than an additional $200 I thought I go with the cheapie. I'm thinking of getting another for my wife also. This lens has got me all jazzed up about going to all primes instead of zooms because of the much better image quality.

Jun 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Grant Oakes to your Buddy List
SergioCR

Registered: Mar 15, 2006
Location: Costa Rica
Review Date: Jun 5, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra-Sharp lens. Autofocus very accurate. Focus Ring works smooth and better located than the MKII version.
Cons:

After several searching on ebay for a 50mm MKI finally got one attached to an old EOS 750. Smile

Actually it is the sharpest lens i have, optics are great, picture and color quality are amazing and the distance scale (not present with the MKII vers.) comes handy time to time.

Also the build quality compared to the "new" version is better, has a metal mount and things just doesn't feel like are going to fall apart.

Jun 5, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SergioCR to your Buddy List
JFerrillo

Registered: Jan 26, 2005
Review Date: Apr 13, 2006 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Price, speed
Cons:
Very slow AF, soft images

I have always been steered well by the FredMiranda site's product reviews, and did my homework on this, searching for the "Mark I" version of this prime.

I suppose it is not right to complain about the quality when one has paid such a bargain price, but...

I bought this to have something lightweight and less intimidating for my subjects. It *is* light, and it *is* nice to have the 1.8 aperture.

Firstly, I am used to better speed and accuracy in my lenses ' autofocus ( I have been spoiled by my 17-40 L and Tamron 28-75). It searches quite a bit in low light, and taking pictures in low light is what I bought this for.

Second, I just don't get sharp images with this at any aperture setting. I may be missing something here, but this has been a disappointment.

Apr 13, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JFerrillo to your Buddy List
claudermilk

Registered: Jan 15, 2003
Review Date: Apr 10, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: optics, price
Cons:
slow, noisy AF

I got this lens based on the many glowing recommendations in the forum. I have not been disappointed, for the price this is a fantastic lens. It produces nice, sharp images and is a good low light lens. The downside is the AF can be a little slow, especially trying to shoot action in very low light. It's definitely worth adding to your collection.

Apr 10, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add claudermilk to your Buddy List
beezlebub

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Mar 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Just bought this MK1 50mm 1.8 on ebay with a filter after 2 months of the MK11 model and 3 faulty switches, Its probably 15 years old, its in mint condition and the build quality is streets ahead of the new MK11 lens. Akthough I am not yet sure but it does seem to be sharper than the MK11. Buy one if you haven't already my MK11 is on the way back to the dealer for the third time!!!
Cons:
Non I can see, its a little noisy but that really isn't the slightest problem.

Mar 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add beezlebub to your Buddy List
bch12

Registered: Sep 16, 2004
Review Date: Mar 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: n/a
Cons:
n/a

I am trying to decide between this lens and the 50mm f/1.4. In response to the last post about price, I found this lens on amazon.com for $70.24 USD. <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007E7JU/sr=8-1/qid=1142357343/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6720877-5724722?%5Fencoding=UTF8">http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007E7JU/sr=8-1/qid=1142357343/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-6720877-5724722?%5Fencoding=UTF8</a>

Mar 14, 2006