Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

104 216643 Jun 12, 2014
3029ef_50_18_1_

Canon's first revision of the standard focal length prime.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

asanduloiu

Registered: Feb 2, 2009
Location: Romania
Review Date: Apr 27, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great price, great in low light, lightweight
Cons:
Cheap build, but what should you expect for this money?!

I've bought this lens some months ago and I'm happy with it. I don't use 50 mm too often, but the results are good. Very sharp from 2-2,2 onwards and I've taken some amasing mountain sunrises in low light what really made me feel that the money weren't spent in vain.
Go for it, buy it and keep it in your bag because it won't take much space or add weight!

Apr 27, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add asanduloiu to your Buddy List
Gary Lee 44

Registered: Jan 1, 2009
Review Date: Jan 24, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $74.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price-sharp-great in low light
Cons:
build

I purchased this lens to take me back to the old days when all I used on my Canan AE-1 was a 50mm and a 28mm. I didn't expect much for the price, but was I surprised. The lens is light weight-sharp and fast. I know it is plastic but so what. I didn't expect to get a Canon L for $74. The build is not a issue here. The issue is it takes great photos and did I say SHARP?
Those who worry about dropping it should worry. I worry about dropping all my lenses. But if I drop this one and it breaks, I will buy the Classic Plastic lens again for $74.
The point is, you will have a hard time finding a lens this sharp-this cheap. I have Canon L lenses, but they are just a little sharper than the Plastic II. Why waste your money on the USM. Buy this one and if you break it, you have and excuse to buy a new lens! Great lens. NOW GO GET ONE!

Jan 24, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gary Lee 44 to your Buddy List
dcad10

Registered: Aug 26, 2008
Review Date: Dec 19, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: metal mount, better to have this than having no 50mm at all
Cons:
noisier than the 50mm 1.8 II, and costs almost twice as much.

I have used the 50mm 1.8II for almost 2 years, and thought I would try out the 50mm 1.8. I wasn't impressed.
the AF motor is MUCH noisier than the 50mm 1.8 II, and I cant see any increase in optical quality. It hunts in low light just as much as the 1.8 II.
people say they dont trust the plastic of the 50mm 1.8 II, however, I feel that if I dropped this lens, Id be just as likely to break it. (plus Ive never dropped it anyways).
Id rather save money, buy a NEW 50mm 1.8II, and move on with my life.
Being disappointed, I am definitely going to sell mine. Anyone want to buy a used 50mm 1.8?

Dec 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dcad10 to your Buddy List
petefuchs

Registered: Dec 11, 2008
Review Date: Dec 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, Light
Cons:
Soft up to F2,5 - Autofocus not always spot-on

I bought it out of curiosity, paid around 95 so no much risk here.
I love it. I thought I would stay mostly with my 17-40L on my 30D but as it turns out the lens I use now mostly is the 500mm 1,8. Alone the fact that you can get very decent pictures out of a 95 Euro plastic lense is fascinating. And really the pictures are great. I use it mostly at F2,5. Everything above and I might as well use the 17-40L... So highly recommendable.
Check out my Hoempage were I posted a few sample shots (as well as many in the gallery)

Dec 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add petefuchs to your Buddy List
oajlu

Registered: Nov 19, 2008
Review Date: Nov 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: cheap and F1.8
Cons:
none for a $100 lens

Nov 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add oajlu to your Buddy List
marcus riley

Registered: Sep 27, 2006
Review Date: Aug 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $70.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price! Sharp. VALUE!
Cons:
Build

I picked up a plastic version II, and I have to say that it is wonderful. It's easy to make fun of the build (like a toy) but the value of this lens is TOP. Mine did get crushed in a hiking bag once and the front element popped off. I was sad for about 5 minutes until I figured out how to pop it back on.

Mine is only a little soft at f1.8 and I have no problem using it wide open aside from a lower contrast. From f2-2.2+ it is great. It focuses relatively quick, even if the AF is a little sloppy. I use it as a single walk-around lens often due to the flexibility and weight.

For the price and performance you can't beat it; I recommend it to all my friends (and many have bought it now and also love it). I can't bring myself to upgrade when this lens does so much for so little money.

Aug 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add marcus riley to your Buddy List
ian1979

Registered: Jul 28, 2008
Review Date: Jul 28, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Awesome pics, awesome price, introducing a new photographer to f1.8 is like taking a newly-unblinded man to Pamela Andersons house
Cons:
I dropped it and it broke and now I dont have one. (Not really Canon's fault). Wish minimum focus distance was a bit closer

Wish I could post 11 for price rating

Opens up a whole world of photography with f1.8

Takes unbelievable portraits, in fairly low light

I hate using flash, so this lens suited me perfectly.

Jul 28, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ian1979 to your Buddy List
martinsmith

Registered: May 17, 2007
Review Date: May 21, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, sharp images
Cons:
People ranting about how good this lens is

I'm basing this review on the price of the lens

Much sharper than the kit lens, bit of CA wide open which is minor and is gone around F2.8, easily fixable in photoshop. Colour & contrast take a bit of tweaking in photoshop for best results, but I shoot mainly B+W portraits with this lens.

Build quality is as to be expected for the price.

I hear comments about noisy AF. I want it for taking pics not for listening to.

If you're on a tight budget and want something better than the kit lens buy it. If you're expecting `L' quality for this price then you may be disappointed and possibly rather foolish.

May 21, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add martinsmith to your Buddy List
Boonen

Registered: Apr 11, 2008
Review Date: Apr 11, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 5

Pros: Inexpensive, good for beginners to experiment
Cons:
Bokeh, focus speed and build quality

I just upgraded to the 50mm f/1.4 and I cannot believe I put up with the 1.8 lens for so long. The 1.4 is nearly as great as my 85mm f/1.8 but the 50mm f/1.8 is not in this class. Get the f/1.8 only if you are truly watching your pennies. In fact the filter and the hood cost nearly as much as the lens.

Apr 11, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Boonen to your Buddy List
LM Hernandez

Registered: Mar 25, 2007
Location: Mexico
Review Date: Mar 2, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $90.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp (and fun) for the price.
Cons:
It's Plastic. Not so nice bokeh in some textures (like grass)

Mar 2, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LM Hernandez to your Buddy List
Spam Lover

Registered: Nov 10, 2007
Review Date: Dec 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $152.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Metal mount, inexpensive, beautiful bokeh and sharp wide open, very nice colour/contrast for a non-L, fast!
Cons:
Hunts in very, very low light sometimes but mostly finds it's target just fine. Loud AF motor (not USM), no FTM

My first prime after I initially bought my camera, this is one of the best deals you could possibly get as far as price and performance go. Low light images are astounding. I decided on the MK I version as the 'Plastic-Fantastic' or 'Nifty-Fifty' just seemed too cheap in built quality for me. I forgot what it was like to have a proper prime that used available light effectively. My old X-700 had a 50mm 1.7 and performed wonderfully in low light, so this just brought back my desire to photograph again. Mine was built in 1987 but still performed like new!

I just sold mine to upgrade to the 1.4 so we'll see how she performs.

Dec 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Spam Lover to your Buddy List
Peter Kirk

Registered: Sep 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 10, 2007 Recommend? no | Price paid: $225.00 | Rating: 2

Pros: cheap,light,compact
Cons:
bokeh a bit average, softish wide open

nice for its price, but really a toy

Oct 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Peter Kirk to your Buddy List
Willa

Registered: Apr 23, 2002
Review Date: Sep 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $135.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, nice than the mkII (which I also own). It has a distance meter on it, which the mkII does not, and the build quality is noticeably better than the newer version, and focuses much faster. The IQ is slightly better than the newer version, but the mkI is noiser fer sure ... I am not bothered one bit by the noise.
Cons:
None. For the money and the selection, this is my favorite choice of the Canon 50mm lenses!

It seems quite a few people confuse this lens with it's successor, the 50mm f/1.8 mkII.

I am quite happy with this little gem. I have read a few reviews from users of the mkII that say there's not much difference, but it's not true. THERE IS QUITE A NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE between the two versions. I think if it wasn't true there wouldn't be so many people out there still trying to find one!

It's much quicker to focus than the mkII, and hunted less than the mkII (which I also own). It IS noiser than the mkII, but again, much quicker to focus, without a doubt. It's sharp as sharp could be. The mkII has it's moments, but was often producing softer shots than I'm used to. Some might say, well, what do you want for $90 bucks, but what I want is faster focusing and sharper photos! The color seems a bit richer and slightly better on this older version, too.

It's light, compact and is the perfect lens on your DSLR for a quick outing. It's great for indoor low-light portraits, too. Grab one of these little beauties if you can still find one. I don't know why the header to this review thread says the lens is under $100. Good for you if you find one cheaper than the newer version.

I paid $135 for mine and it came with a rubber hood which I like, also. In my honest opinion, t's a fair price for this 'better' version, and I'm delighted that I got my hands on one. I think I prefer it over the 50mm f/1.4mm, too!

Sep 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Willa to your Buddy List
Don Farra

Registered: Sep 4, 2007
Review Date: Sep 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $50.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight and super sharp lens, don't underestimate this lens, it can create wonderful images.
Cons:

Great for up close portraits of children and a general all purpose normal lens. I used to think 50mm lenses were useless and to be avoided, but changed my mind and started using this 50mm around the house for window portraiture and was surprised at the great results. Fairly sharp images even at wide open, stop down one stop and you can create some nice children portraits by themselves or with their mom. Here again considering the price it represents a great value.

Sep 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Don Farra to your Buddy List
Perry Ge

Registered: Jul 29, 2007
Review Date: Jul 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Price! Sharp, light, fast, good portrait lens on a cropped sensor.
Cons:
Build quality, AF hunts in low light.

There is no excuse not to own this lens (unless you have the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.2L). I love it to death!

Fantastic image quality for this price, fast, light and sharp. On a 1.6x cropped sensor, focal length is 80mm (35mm equiv), making it an excellent portrait lens, particularly at f/1.8. Stop it down a bit and it's incredibly sharp.

Build quality is crap, and the AF is quite loud and hunts a little bit in low light, but what did you expect for this price?

Even at twice the price, this lens is still worth it. Unless you have money to blow on a 50mm with better build quality, this lens is a must-have.

Jul 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Perry Ge to your Buddy List
Michael Hamilt

Registered: May 7, 2007
Review Date: Jun 20, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Inexpensive, great clarity, very fast and light weight
Cons:
None that I've found yet

I'm very new to DSLR or any type of SLR for that matter. I recently purchased a Rebel XT and kit lens (used). The Cannon 50mm 1.8 prime was my first lens purchase. I was AMAZED at the clarity, low light operation and quickness of this lens. Granted, as I said, I'm very new so my opinion may not mean squat...lol. But because I'm new, I'm not really able to justify paying $500.00 or more for a lens at this time. This lens is very inexpensive and I get amazing results out of it. I'm sure my results will only get better as I learn!!

Jun 20, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Michael Hamilt to your Buddy List

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8