Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

99 217105 Jun 12, 2014
3029ef_50_18_1_

Canon's first revision of the standard focal length prime.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7  next

drzhao

Registered: Feb 17, 2014
Review Date: Jun 12, 2014 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $130.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, cheap, small, light.
Cons:
Loud and often slow focusing

Very sharp little lens. Has the metal mount instead of plastic mount on the mark ii. I felt it's even sharper than 50mm 1.4, but that might just be my copy. Build quality wise, it's not flimsy, but seems that it could break with a small drop, but I've never tested that... It's an awesome lens for film too, since it has the zoom ring.

Jun 12, 2014
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add drzhao to your Buddy List
grizzlywon

Registered: Apr 14, 2010
Review Date: Oct 4, 2013 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: It's cheap.
Cons:
This lens is loud and made of plastic. It's horrible at finding focus especially if you're not outside under the sun. You can't put a quick detach lens shade on it. You have to use a screw in one.

Save your money for the 1.4 it's way better!

Oct 4, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add grizzlywon to your Buddy List
carodani

Registered: Feb 21, 2013
Review Date: Feb 21, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Solid, quick enough, sharp.
Cons:
none, the used ones are too old and could need a full check

Bought a second hand one after using the mkII for a while, no real challenge, this one was way better built and the resolution was slightly better, but Canon decided to split their lines to a cheaper 1.8 and a dearer 1.4 (not even mention the 1.2).

Feb 21, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add carodani to your Buddy List
scott_scheetz

Registered: Oct 31, 2012
Review Date: Oct 31, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $179.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very sharp wide open, good build quality, accurate and fairy fast AF, inexpensive.
Cons:
The AF hunts in low light more than a USM lens. Loud AF motor, and not as fast as a USM.

The original 50mm f/1.8 is a fantastic lens. The colors and contrast are fantastic, even when shooting wide open. This lens is very sharp. The build quality is much better than the version II of this lens, and the AF is a more accurate as well. The AF does have a more of a tendency to hunt in low light than a USM, but for an AF-D lens, it's very good. AF is a little loud, but it's not terrible. I highly recommend this lens to anyone who wants a 50mm, but doesn't want to spend a lot of money.

Oct 31, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add scott_scheetz to your Buddy List
charlieboy

Registered: May 15, 2003
Review Date: Apr 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $75.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp,metal mount, nice bokeh, price.
Cons:
Hunts in really low light even with a 1D series body.

Apr 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add charlieboy to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Dec 4, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp ,sharp sharp superbokeh, good colours fast lens = absolutely best buy- optics made in japan (good quality control) this lens is far better than the mk2 version on par with or better than the 50mm 1,4!! plus metal mount ring.-i simply like it-it has the real Canon spirit in it...
Cons:
that the lens is out of production ! its supergood and i dont understand why canon dropped the production?

This is one of the old Canon jewels and if you can find one used ; buy it.

- I see,that some of the used one sells for more than you paid from new !?

and for good reason: the Canon 50mm 1,8 mark 1. is supersharp ,superbokeh,with better colours and good all over compared to both the 1,4 and the new 1,8 mk 2 -
im very happy with the results,especially for FF.

i have recently used it for a client with my 5d2 and the pix and results was great shown in the magazine.
I like the metalmount as well -but you have to take care as the rest is too plasticky,but i still like this Canon 50mm 1,8 mk 1.:-- it has this special Canon Spirit inside...a joy.

This is my best buy so far.

Dec 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
iomega

Registered: May 11, 2009
Review Date: Jul 4, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Sharp. Color, Contrast.
Cons:
Not weather sealed.

I had the F1.4 version and started comparing both in the field with no flash and in low ligth subject. Considering the 5 pentode flare comparing to the 7 blade flare of it's bigger sister F 1.4 there's no question about price difference. But hey... who needs 7 blade flare ghost instead of 5 ????
I sold my F1.4 and NEVER LOOKED BACK!!!

Jul 4, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add iomega to your Buddy List
Lance Lee

Registered: Sep 26, 2005
Review Date: Jun 19, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $125.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, well made, very small and light.
Cons:
Not full time manual focus.

If you spend a lot of time with your primes, this doesn't make sense. I use mostly zooms, and it is nice to have a faster lens when I need it. I've recently switched to a 1.3 body, and I'm finding it more useful than on a 1.6 body.

Image quality is really quite good. It's not any better than any other 50 I've had, but in the age of zooms it is easy to forget that this kind of IQ @ 1.8 used to be standard. I wish the DSLR kit lens was 30/1.8 version of this lens, instead of completely blah zoom.

Jun 19, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lance Lee to your Buddy List
haringo

Registered: Oct 7, 2009
Review Date: Jun 3, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: CHEAP and one of the best lenses for the money!
Cons:
people don''t seem to believe that they can get a good lens under $100.

You bought an DSLR, right? I guess you bought DSLR camera and not a point and shoot because one day you will want to take off the ugly kit lens, right? This is the right time. Don't hesitate and buy this lens!!! You can't get better lens under $100! There is nothing to think about! (You may want to pay a little bit more and buy the 50mm 1.4. Maybe...It is three times more expensive though.) You will be surprised by the quality! You can find some example pictures in my wedding photography blog: www.haringphotography.com
Buy it! Hit the "SUBMIT" button and order it!!! Smile

Jun 3, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add haringo to your Buddy List
mahonet

Registered: Nov 30, 2008
Review Date: May 9, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very good image quality, accurate af. Good structure compared to II-version (as good as with 35mm f2 or 50mm f1.4)
Cons:
compared to price nothing.

What a positive surprise this lens is! I have used Canon 50mm f1.4, 50mm f1.8II, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Carl Zeiss 50mm ze and this Canon I-version. Af is more accurarate than that of f1.4, structure is of the same level. All in all I like this older light model most of the Canon 50mm versions. For better bokeh and portraits I use Carl Zeiss 50mm ze. I found this unused copy from eBay.de.

May 9, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mahonet to your Buddy List
surly

Registered: Aug 27, 2005
Review Date: Feb 27, 2010 Recommend? no | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Pretty sharp as one would expect from a normal prime.
Cons:
Slow, noisy, slow, noisy focus. No USM. Worth build of any Canon lens I have seen to date.

This lens is just not worth it. If you have to eat rice or potatoes for a month and get the 1.4 instead. Using this lens was annoying enough I gave it to a friend who didn't have a fast prime and bought the 1.4.

This lens provides the worst user experience of any I have ever used.

Feb 27, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add surly to your Buddy List
ilikeglass

Registered: Sep 15, 2009
Review Date: Feb 24, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $140.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Small, light, sharp, metal mount. F/1.8
Cons:
Bokeh just ok.

It was purchased by a family member for use on an XTi. I use it on a 5D ii and it rocks! I just completed a magazine shoot and the client was very pleased! Little did they know I did the entire shoot with a nifty 50!

The build quality - metal mount if fine. Have only used it for AF, but MF seems to work ok.

Feb 24, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ilikeglass to your Buddy List
Pennington

Registered: Dec 9, 2009
Review Date: Jan 5, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: very small & light, metal mount, sharp, fast
Cons:
cheap build, focus hunts

Having owned both this and the later Mk II version, the Mk I is definitely the better lens. I was able to hunt one down that was still in it's box, virtually unused since it was manufactured in 1987. It's an amazing little lens and really a lot of fun to work with.

The image quality is good wide open at f/1.8, but improves noticeably at f/2.8, and even more so by f/5.6, at which point it can be almost uncomfortably sharp. I grab mine for portraits and party/event shots, especially when I know the light is going to be low, and I am unable or just don't want to setup strobes. I try to keep it at f/2.2, but if I have to drop down to 1.8, at least I know it's there. Matched with the 7D's good high ISOs, there's almost nowhere I can't shoot with it.

50mm is a little long on an APS-C sensor; at parties, for instance, you need either a big room, or have to accept isolating several people instead of an entire group. I sometimes find myself wanting a wider angle, but that's not the fault of the lens just of the photographer.

Unfortunately, it doesn't feel very solid or integral. I'm often afraid that a good jolt or two could do it in, at which point I'd be stuck trying to find another one. They do appear in the used market, but the price can go much higher than the Mk II version a testament to just how good the original is.

I'm really more of a zoom guy, but this is a lens that makes shooting with primes fun, and I'm not about to part with it.

Jan 5, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Pennington to your Buddy List
Olivier6

Registered: Jan 1, 2010
Review Date: Jan 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, weight, size
Cons:
No USM

If you can find one, buy it no matter the price.

This lens is so sharp, so good... I am using mine now for 17 years. First on my EOS 620, then on my 300D and now on my 5Dmk2. The cameras are retired together with many lenses but this little fellow is still in business!

I am using it together with a 17-40, a 24-70, a 70-200 and a 100 macro and it is still one of my favorites!

Jan 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Olivier6 to your Buddy List
DoogieH

Registered: Jan 27, 2009
Review Date: Oct 5, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $140.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, Price, metal mount of this version, fast in some low light conditions
Cons:
noisy, searches in incadencence lighting

I love this lens, it took me several months to track one down with the metal mount. To me this makes a huge difference and I should have this lens for a long time. The plastic mount version does not hold up and Canon might make a change to that lens due to cost and lower even its quality. I use this for portraits and the lens is outstanding. By 2 if you can find them!!!

Oct 5, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DoogieH to your Buddy List
squareeyez

Registered: Jan 22, 2006
Review Date: Aug 15, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 7

Pros: Solid build, distance window, convenient focal length for many uses
Cons:
noisy (this ain't no bird lens so who really cares??) but it lets me know it's working. Hard to replace an actual mk I, no more parts...

I see a lot of people offering critique here have confused the plastic mkII with this vintage lens. I bought this lens with my first EOS camera in 1986. I fell down a flight of stairs in Tokyo with it and had to have it repaired. It's worked well since then and having held on to it for so long I now know what a gem this lens is. Apparently Canon stopped supporting this version but it is a cult classic and you can easily find others who love this lens. You'd be hard pressed to pick up a mkI near a hundred dollars anymore so if you do find that offering take it! I started to use this for close quarter shooting on my 5D mkII and it works well when it wants to. Too old and too new seem to have an issue but I am not the only one with that issue so I don't take it personally. f1.8 allows you to shoot in a wide variety of lighting and 50mm is a decent focal length for parties, work, or whenever things are fairly nearby. Knowing that I have a vintage lens on a cutting edge body is kind of fun. I don't think the IQ is much different for this and the mkII adn I woudl certainly hope the mkII has some image advantage because it sure is a cheapy-choppy build! This lens is an era gone by but it reminds me that things used to be built to last longer than me. And plastic doesn't give me that feeling. Well, there IS Fisher Price toys...

Aug 15, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add squareeyez to your Buddy List

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8