38 161912 Sep 26, 2012
8.5
ef17_35_1_

With a maximum angle of view of 104, this lens uses a large aspherical lens for element 1 and another aspherical lens for element 15. They correct distortion and greatly improve peripheral resolution. A gelatin filter holder on the rear of the lens accepts up to three pre-cut gel filters. The lens also accepts screw-on filters (77mm).

jamato8

Registered: Dec 23, 2005
Review Date: Sep 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,250.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: From about 20 up and at 3.5F up this lens is very, very sharp. At 35 and anywhere from F4 to f8 I have often confused it with my 35L, it is that sharp. This lens has served me in many situations for many years.
Cons:
a little soft at 17 but I remember this most of the time when shooting. Could have better weather sealing.

I find that on my 5D I get better results than I did on my 1v. Why I am not sure but I enjoy this lens and use it in conjunction with my 135L all of the time. I was caught in a heavy downpoor while doing some work in China and it took in more moisture than I thought it would. After a day in an airconditioned room, which dries the air, it was fine and the images continue to impress me. This was a good purchase and as mentioned above, this lens has served me well for many years.

Sep 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jamato8 to your Buddy List
deepimpact

Registered: Aug 9, 2006
Review Date: Aug 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $528.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: My lens is very sharp at both ends.
Cons:
Hood is flat & wide. Uncomfortable to pack in my bag.

I find mine very sharp. I bought it in e-bay and it came with everything including the new soft case. My copy is excellent.

Aug 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add deepimpact to your Buddy List
LgnAdams

Registered: May 27, 2006
Review Date: May 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp most of the time, solid construction, absolute workhorse lens.
Cons:
A bit soft at times, some red and green flaring toward the corners. Monster hood.

I bought this lens for portraits and wedding work, and it has more than paid for itself. It's great on my 20D for getting around in the crowd. I have to keep the hood separate in my gadget bag, it won't fit in a pocket thanks to its width. I recommend this or the 16-35mm without fail.

May 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add LgnAdams to your Buddy List
Liquidpics

Registered: Jun 14, 2005
Review Date: Apr 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp lens from 17 through 35mm @ f/2.8. It's fast and silent like most L's also delivering great color and contrast.
Cons:
Only negative (compared to the 16-35mm) is it's minimum focusing distance isn't that close.

If your on a budget and looking for a lens that performs like the 16-35mm this lens is the closest thing out there. At about half the price it is unbeatable! I just wish it had the ability to focus closer to the subject like it's big brother. It is sharp throughout and it's AF performs great in all lighting conditions. Make sure you ask the right questions before purchasing one second hand because from what I've read their are quite a bit of poor copies out there.

Apr 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Liquidpics to your Buddy List
Lars Johnsson

Registered: Jun 29, 2003
Review Date: Mar 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: Good range, good build quality, constant f/2,8
Cons:
A bit soft wide open, sharpness

It's soft wide open and also a bit soft in the corners. The 16-35 is a little bit better but they are very similar

Mar 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Lars Johnsson to your Buddy List
ipprime

Registered: Jan 21, 2006
Review Date: Jan 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast and sharp.
Cons:
Some vignetting wide open.

Must be some bad copies out there considering the mixed reviews. My copy is excellent!

Jan 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ipprime to your Buddy List
perpera

Registered: Mar 11, 2005
Review Date: Jan 15, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 2.8 from wide to long, fast AF, L build quality, light, sharp at ALL focal length
Cons:
Closest Focusing Distance 42 mm.

I seem to be lucky getting a very sharp copy of this lens. It's tack sharp in the center at all focal lenght, though soft in corners wide-open which is to be expected. Sharpness is very much better than shown in Fred Miranda's review in the articles section of this site.

Optical performance is better than my old Tamron 17-35 and par to Canon 17-40L. I haven't had opportunity to try Canon 16-35L.

The only cons is that the closest focusing distance is 42 cm and that distortions wideopen at 17mm are significant.

Considering the price i'll rate it a 10.

Jan 15, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add perpera to your Buddy List
Danpbphoto

Registered: Jan 3, 2004
Review Date: Nov 24, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 4

Pros: Fast! Nice wide angle. Bought used on FM.
Cons:
Vignetting serious with FF camera. Prone to much flare!

Purchased for my 20D for WA. I found this a fine,fast lens. On 20D it was very nice but when I got my 5D I found the vignetting terrible at lower focal lenghts and flare bad in bright sun. It is a well built lens though.

Nov 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Danpbphoto to your Buddy List
slickrick

Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Review Date: Nov 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: My lens is very sharp at both ends.
Cons:
none, if you get a good one.

I find mine very sharp. I bought it in e-bay and it came with everything including the new soft case. The lens was one of the newer ones before they came out with the 16-35mm. I bought it 5 months ago. It's sharp at both ends check out the samples;

The lens looks and feels practically new and I love it. This is my second (L) Lens. I also have the 24-70mm f/2.8L--Very Fast...

Nov 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add slickrick to your Buddy List
Newk

Registered: Apr 23, 2003
Review Date: Sep 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Price of this lens used is quite reasonable. Much cheaper than the 16-35 and twice as fast as the 17-40.
Cons:
A little soft; barrel distortion is pretty bad at 17mm.

I bought mine used to replace a 20-35 USM. Sharpness is about the same, not bad but not great. I use it mostly for weddings, and it's good enough for that. I paid about $700, which is not much more than a used 17-40, and the extra stop in speed is well worth the slight softness for me.

Sep 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Newk to your Buddy List
felgonza

Registered: Jun 16, 2005
Location: Chile
Review Date: Jul 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $430.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: constant f2.8, L glass
Cons:
a little soft at wide appertures

The only reason I bought this lens is that I got a great price for it (430 dolars, used really good condition, no hood, no hardcase, just the lens).
It's my first L lens, and I really really like it.
I use it on a Digital Rebel - 300D instead of the kit lens, and I gat a much faster lens, and sharper (stopped down a couple of times).

Anyway, I've read a lot about the soft-focusing issue on the lens, and in my case it is little true, but I can live with it... I mean this isn't an incredibly sharp lens, but for me (non pro) its fine.

For the price paid, its great.

Jul 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add felgonza to your Buddy List
doug572

Registered: Aug 16, 2004
Review Date: May 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 7

Pros: Fast, built well
Cons:
A little pricey, even used, hood is all but useless.

Using this lens on a 10D, I really have no complaints. I was going to sell this lens and purchase an ultra-wide prime, but I keep re-thinking that decision. This lens is great for outdoor car shows where you don't have a lot of room between the vehicles.

Canon ultra-wides, especially the zooms, have a bad rep for sharpness. Either I got a better than average copy, or it is an unearned rep. Maybe people are expecting too much out of a super wide angle lens.

May 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add doug572 to your Buddy List
adam jarus

Registered: Jan 15, 2005
Review Date: Mar 23, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Fast, Built Solid, Fast Focusing
Cons:
Not Sharp, Minuimum foucsing distance

I first bought this lens because I was able to pick it up cheap, unforunately this copy was extremely soft no matter what. Just trade for a 17-40 f/4 plus some cash. I don't regret it one bit. I wish it would have been as sharp as the Nikon 17-35 which i miss dearly.

Mar 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add adam jarus to your Buddy List
trijicon

Registered: Jun 3, 2004
Review Date: Nov 15, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp (atleast my copy is). Very very usable wide open. Contrast, "L-quality" color and saturation, great range and size. Perfect for 1.6 crop DSLR's
Cons:
Minimun focus distance.

This lense has exceeded my expectations. I bought this lense used from these forums but then quickly read the following reviews and quickly became very sad due to the bad reviews. The majority of these reviews rate this lense as sub par, but I think this lense is amazing. It is perfect for my application which is sports and wedding photography. Both these applications need the f2.8 for both available light and greater DOF. This lense does both marvelously.

Wide open this lense captures subjects very sharp and gives great bokeh. Those who may have rated this lense as poor probably used it on film bodies and for landscapes. But my uses are different; close subjects, DSLRs, and thin DOF

This is a great option for the photographer looking for a wide f2.8 but not looking to spend $1500. Fits nicely between the 17-40L and 16-35L. I definitely would recommend this lense

Nov 15, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add trijicon to your Buddy List
fotografz

Registered: Mar 11, 2003
Review Date: May 4, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1.10 | Rating: 6

Pros: Good range.
Cons:
Horrible distortion. Softer than the 16-35/2.8L

Canon wides suffer from barrel distortion (even the 35/1.4L), and this one is the king of distortion. I bench tested this lens against the 16-35/2.8L and frankly there was no comparison.

Canon should study Nikon to learn how to better correct their WA zooms.

May 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fotografz to your Buddy List
Finn Magne

Registered: Mar 14, 2004
Review Date: Mar 14, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: $2,000.00 | Rating: 4

Pros: Good and very useful zoom range. Possible to use this lens on 17mm together with a pola filter.
Cons:
Sharpness and contrast (especially at 17mm and f2,8) bad in the corners.

If you use this lens on 17mm and f2,8 you only get sharp results in the centre. Especially for a L-lens, the sharpness and contrast in the corners are bad. A little less soft at f8, but not good enough for my use since I still use film in my camera. Because about 90% of my pictures are beeing shot within this zoom range, I have just replaced this lens for the cheaper and much sharper EF 17-40/4L. Because of the high price I don't recommend this lens.

Mar 14, 2004