76 308096 Sep 3, 2014
ef_28-70_28s_1_

EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USMHigh-performance standard zoom lens whose maximum f/2.8 aperture can be used at all focal lengths. It includes the normal 50mm focal length and a minimum focusing distance of 1.6 ft. (50cm). The large aspherical element helps obtain a high image quality comparable to single and focal length lenses.

Page:  1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5

chrisvan

Registered: Oct 27, 2004
Location: Korea, South
Review Date: Oct 28, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, contrast and colour, bokeh, an overall excellent piece of glass. An excellent "walk-around" lens for those who don't mind a bit of weight. 28mm is wide enough for me, as I still shoot film and don't have to worry about crop factors and such.
Cons:
Weight, front element extends when zooming and attracts dust

This lens is on my camera 80% of the time. The optics are superb. I toyed with the notion of trading up for the 24-70L, but 28mm is wide enough for me and I'm glad I kept this excellent lens.

Oct 28, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add chrisvan to your Buddy List
Hardtail

Registered: Oct 20, 2004
Review Date: Oct 20, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Consistently produces outstanding results. The f2.8 makes it all worthwhile
Cons:
Heavy for extended use. Lens hood design needs improving as it is a nuisance to attach. Other than that, the pros far outweigh the cons.

Yes it's heavy and ungainly. Its built like a tank. But the results are simply outstanding.

This is the first lens I consistently reach for.

Oct 20, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hardtail to your Buddy List
Cecil Walker

Registered: Jan 13, 2002
Review Date: Aug 9, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp images, good all-around zoom, works well in low-light.
Cons:
Digital SLRs with 1.6 multipliers could use a little wider angle for indoor photos. I also prefer internal focusing (spoiled by 70-200 f/2.8) as it accumulates less dust.

This was the second L lens I purchased. It really rounded out my collection of lenses for my D30 and 10D. It works even better on the 1D Mark II since it has less of a multiplication factor. Excellent all-around lens!

Cecil Walker
Pro Motion Photo
www.ProMotionPhoto.com

Aug 9, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Cecil Walker to your Buddy List
vince

Registered: Mar 18, 2002
Review Date: Feb 14, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb optics, ultra fast and silent focusing, solid build quality
Cons:
A bit heavy, flares a bit without the hood.

After the 24-70 came out many people were dumping their 28-70's and I managed to pick one up for cheap, to supplement my 28-135IS for more demanding occasions. After shooting a few rolls with each lens, the difference between them is like night and day. The 28-135 simply doesn't hold a candle to the 28-70L.

Quite often I shoot wide open, and the L lens delivers stunning results. I simply couldn't use the 28-135 wide open, and its already slow max apertures (~= 5.6) required it to go down to f/8 before I could get sharp images. With the 28-70, I can shoot wide open and get fast shutter speeds, which eliminates 3/4th of the occasions where I need IS on the 28-135. The 28-70 is simply that much better. The distortion on the 28-135 is noticeably worse than the 28-70 and I can even see this in the small little viewfinder. After shooting with the two lenses for a few months now I've retired the 28-135 and put it up for sale.

Feb 14, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vince to your Buddy List
Olsen

Registered: May 4, 2003
Review Date: Feb 6, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Stunningly sharp and contrasty for being zoom; - at all ranges, focal lengths and aparture stops. Versatile. A benchmark to be met for competion. Solid like a hand grenade out of WWI. The optimal tourist lense or a serious tool for the travelling photo journalist. A joy to work with manually of with AF. Has been my companion since my EOS3-days, but work just as well on my EOS 1Ds.
Cons:
Heavy. And bulky with that bucket-sized sun shade. Somewhat prone to flare. Does not draw as streight lines at wide angle as the fixed 28 mm focal length lense of Canon.

More than half of all my pictures has been taken with this lense. A useful tool on trips around Europe as well as the Far East. Heavy to carry around on an EOS3 or an EOS 1Ds. Absolutely worth the extra swet. I am still being supprised and joyed about how well this versatile zoom works as a portrait lense as well as a landscape tool, - or at a private party. Some portraits are just stunning.

Stone solid. I have taken it on skiing trips in the Norwegian mountains and on jungle trekking in Malaysia. Or on city-weekends to Vienna and Paris. It works flawlessly on AF or manaually. One of the very best zooms around. A classic lense!

Feb 6, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Olsen to your Buddy List
wcbert

Registered: Jan 2, 2002
Review Date: Dec 17, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Like other say have said, image quality, sharpness, colors and build quality.
Cons:
None that I can think of.

I bought this lens over three years ago and was my first lens I bought when I order my Canon D-30. I started with "L" lens and I guess I missed out using third party lens and lesser grade lens. I had the money, I wanted the best and at that time it was. Why I wanted the best was driven home to me with a incident that happen in Sept 2003. I was Florence Italy, second day on my third week vacation in Italy. I was changing lens in a church and very careless of me, I dropped my 28-70mm lens. I managed to break the fall by having it hit my leg. Still the lens hit the church's stone floor hard, that my heart sank and everyone in the church looked at me. Must have saw the pain in my face when I was thinking I just lost a len, an expensive one and this is not the right time to have this happen. I scoop up the damage lens and went chasing the len's cap that roll 100 feet away from me. Went outside, sat down a looked over the damage. The only damage was the lens lip where the len's cap and filter go on. I could not screw on anymore filters, but everything looked ok with the len. Took some photos, they looked fine. Zoom the photos saw no damage, none!. It perform with no problems and I was a happy camper again. That is "L" build quality in action, the lens still work after I managed to damage it. I doubt very much a non "L" lens could have survive a fall like that.

Dec 17, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wcbert to your Buddy List
cemkamaoglu

Registered: Jun 26, 2003
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Oct 29, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality.. sharpness, colors and build quality
Cons:
Heavy

Oct 29, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cemkamaoglu to your Buddy List
anderson

Registered: Dec 18, 2002
Review Date: Aug 9, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image sharpness and contrast. Robust build. Fast autofocus.
Cons:
Being an "L" lens it costs big bux$$

This was my first Canon lens. I have shot possibly 85-90% of my pictures with this lens. It just seems like it is always the right lens to use for me. The quality of the pictures is great. Wonderful contrast, beautiful color and sharp. What more can one ask but to be able to get a lens like this for free!!

Aug 9, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add anderson to your Buddy List
jesseluc

Registered: Jun 22, 2003
Review Date: Jun 22, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, sharpness, contrast, colors and speed.

Very good lens.

Jun 22, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jesseluc to your Buddy List
Linda

Registered: Mar 15, 2002
Review Date: Jun 4, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality; AF speed
Cons:
for 1D,1Ds owners this lens lacks the rubber gasket that the newer 24-70 has.

This was my first Canon L lens and I was blown away by the quality of the thing. It does a fabulous job and started a love affair with L glass that my budget has lamented but my photography has loved.

I've been using this lens for 15 months as of this writing and the only thing I could imagine replacing it with would be the 24-70 L.

Jun 4, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Linda to your Buddy List
Gilles

Registered: Nov 25, 2002
Review Date: Apr 5, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality : sharpness, contrast, colors. Quality of manufacturing. Probably one of the besat all-around lenses ever.
Cons:
None ( except may be the hood installation which is a bit annoying ).

I've used a lot of L glasses from Canon but I must say that this zoom is one of my favourites.
The big diameter and the weight make it agreable to use. And I think it is also not worth to drop it in favour of the 24-70.

Apr 5, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Gilles to your Buddy List
Alexz

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Location: Israel
Review Date: Apr 3, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, excellent contrast and wonderful image quality. The hood design is neat and lens-hood couple actually makes kind of "perfect hood" matching zoom range at almost eevry given focal point. Made very sturdy - would withstand prefessional treating (read abuse). Very quete and AF is fast (at least when cuopled to my EOS-3). Direct manual focusing even durign AF is great (though all ring USM are featured by that). Internal focusing make using adjustabel filters no fuss at all.
Cons:
The internal barrel extends beyond the outer shell during zooming that may seem potentially somewhat weak point for hard abuse (dust prone environment), however this feature makes up the "perfect hood".

I really wonder why the 28-70L entry is till empty.
Are al the potential mid-range L users betrayed this top-notch performer in favor of its yong brother 24-70L ? :-))

Now seriously.
You would only be able to realize how good it can be once using any other zoom, even of pro-gare caliber.
Once I became happy owner of this lens I realized how blind was I trusting the image quality performance of my previous Tokina
28-70/2.6-2.8 ATX PRO II (this is is also consideerd as a pro lens).
Not that teh Tokina wasn't sharp, but the sharpness and contrast difference was obvious even at 4x6 prints !
Even though some online reviews claims the new 24-70L is marginally sharper, the 28-70L is real jewel, especially when can be found used for quite affordable pricing (just over 800 US$).
This lens is my workhorse on EOS-3 body.

Apr 3, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Alexz to your Buddy List

76 308096 Sep 3, 2014