76 308533 Sep 3, 2014
ef_28-70_28s_1_

EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USMHigh-performance standard zoom lens whose maximum f/2.8 aperture can be used at all focal lengths. It includes the normal 50mm focal length and a minimum focusing distance of 1.6 ft. (50cm). The large aspherical element helps obtain a high image quality comparable to single and focal length lenses.

BlueFish

Registered: Jun 22, 2004
Review Date: Sep 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Contrast, Detail, CA control, Sharpness, 2.8L, Build quality, 77mm filters.
Cons:
Lens hood is huge - difficult to mount properly.

This lens ROCKS. Somehow managed to get myself a mint condition lens... at a v good price. Came with everything including box!

The build quality is great. It really feels like a lens and not something else. Picture quality is great... and the 2.8 is handy.

2.8 the pictures are pretty good... but the lens starts to show exceptional detail stopped down to f8.

I love the fixed hood design. The only thing I have to have a rant is how hard it is to mount the hood. It's not a snap and the threads don't link up easily. In fact, it's pretty tight but to get the threads aligned so you don't end up with a cross thread takes a little getting use to.

Sep 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add BlueFish to your Buddy List
kennyahn

Registered: Aug 7, 2005
Review Date: Aug 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: unbelievably sharp, solid build, and that red band at the end of the lens looks great when I'm with my other photography friends
Cons:
some say it's heavy, but it's something I've already gotten use to after just 1 day

I had the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. Took it out and used it for 2 days. The pictures were pretty good. I kept getting that nagging feeling that maybe an "L" lens is the way to go. I saw an ad for an excellent condition used EF 28-70mm f/2.8L. After my first test shot, I was sold. Of course I took a few more shots to test, but I gotta say that the pictures were TACK sharp! I am blown away by the picture quality. I've even heard many say that in real life photography, this lens is a tad bit sharper than the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L.

If you have a chance to purchase a used one in good condition for under $800, go buy it now. You'll be sold on your first shot.

Aug 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kennyahn to your Buddy List
gooch

Registered: Feb 7, 2004
Review Date: Jul 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $775.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid build, Sharp, Great contrast
Cons:
Weight

I picked this lens up used a while ago after debating between it and a new 24-70 L. I dont regret my decision at all. This is one great lens. Of all my lenses this is the vost versitile. I call it one of my 'money makers' and when I'm ever in doubt about what type of lens I'll need for a shoot I always include the 28-70 L.

I use it for portraits, groups, street, you name it. Sure, in each of those situations I have specific lenses that are more suited but none that can handle them all (including the GREAT 70-200 IS)

Sharpness and contrast are top notch.

Jul 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add gooch to your Buddy List
The Image

Registered: Dec 3, 2004
Review Date: Apr 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: good strong build
Cons:

great lens. with my photojournalism on the 1dmkII its on the camera most of the time. its sharp has good contrast fast focus ,its a bit heavy but i aint complaining

Apr 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add The Image to your Buddy List
jay1hawker

Registered: Jun 23, 2003
Review Date: Apr 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Ultra sharp pix Nice wide-medium tele zoom Fast f2.8 lens Solid feel
Cons:
Heavy

I purchased this lens after careful review and have not been disappointed at all. This is a gem of a lens. If you can find one in good condition, it would be an excellent buy. I couldnt afford the 24-70mm, so opted to go with this lens.
The pictures are razor sharp and not much is lost on a
1D digital 1.3x.

This was definitely a welcome addition to my bag and along
with a 17-40mm and a 70-200mm lens, rounds out the bag
nicely.

Would definitely recommend this lens in a heartbeat.

Apr 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jay1hawker to your Buddy List
Jason Kim

Registered: Nov 15, 2003
Review Date: Apr 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Color & Contrast, Build quality
Cons:
Size & Weight

This lens is on my cameera over 90% of the time.

Apr 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Jason Kim to your Buddy List
ccupani

Registered: Apr 12, 2005
Review Date: Apr 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $870.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp images, quality build
Cons:

I had this lens and then sold it about three months ago. I regretted it. I toyed wit the idea of getting the 24-70, but when I saw the picture quality this lens produced, I remebered what I had lost when I sold it and I bought it again. This lens suffers much less variation in copy to copy performance than the 24-70, and I didn't want to hassle finding a good copy of that lens. This time I keep it.

Apr 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ccupani to your Buddy List
B_Lebsanft

Registered: Feb 26, 2005
Review Date: Mar 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, sharpness, contrast, fast
Cons:
can't think of one

My first lens for the 10D and guess what, I really love it. It is still one of my favorite lenses next to the 50/1.4!

Mar 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add B_Lebsanft to your Buddy List
OBIE

Registered: Jan 30, 2005
Review Date: Mar 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $899.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Impressed with the overall clarity and build of this lens.
Cons:
None that I that I have noted so far

This is my first L lens impressed with its ability to shoot in low light without a flash. So impressed with the L series lens that I bought a 70-200 f/4 L a week later.

Mar 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add OBIE to your Buddy List
andy1100xx

Registered: Dec 19, 2004
Review Date: Feb 25, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent picture quality, pin sharp, 2.8, fast and silent focus, build quality
Cons:
Very heavy (though less so than 24-70), huge awkward hood.

The quality of the lens is excellent in every way but the weight is a real turnoff, especially with a large body.

Feb 25, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add andy1100xx to your Buddy List
baharr

Registered: Oct 7, 2004
Review Date: Feb 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: THIS LENS IS VERY SHARP
Cons:
IT IS NOT SO SHARP WIDE OPEN TO 2.8

i DO ALOT OF PORTRAITS FOR SOCCER And well it fits well on my ID mark II and EOS 1N's

Feb 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add baharr to your Buddy List
Theresa Z.

Registered: Mar 19, 2002
Review Date: Feb 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very good resolution, excellent contrast. Ability to step aperature down to f16 and maintain great details and contrast.
Cons:
Zoom mechanism seems to have loosened significantly. Largish compared to some newer Tamron/Sigma which also have excellent quality.

I purchased this lens used about a month ago and have taken quite a few photos with it and could not be more pleased. It's sharp and contrasty across it's field of view on a 20D and seems to retain it's abilities at least down to f/16 which is great when doing landscape shots.
The zoom ring is a little loose but it's not so loose that the central group moves by itself, but it's close so I'll probably send it in at some point for replacement of the felt pads to add some new 'grip' to the zooming mechanism.

Feb 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Theresa Z. to your Buddy List
Kepola

Registered: Dec 2, 2004
Review Date: Jan 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, excellent quality build.
Cons:
Heavy, huge hood!

Jan 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Kepola to your Buddy List
DanSmedra

Registered: Nov 21, 2004
Review Date: Jan 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Images near perfect (resolution, color, contrast) with any Canon camera body. Solid build and nice to handle in most situations.
Cons:

This lens brought out the best from my former D30. While generally a good lens, I had to leave the Canon 28-135mm behind. Now, with the 20D, the resolving power and detail are stunning. Being spoiled, I wonder how I'll adjust if I purchase either the Canon 10-22mm or the 70-300mm DO?

Jan 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DanSmedra to your Buddy List
david010167

Registered: Feb 27, 2004
Review Date: Dec 4, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It is an L lens. Great build quality. Speed of focus and clarity of image.
Cons:
none for me, a lot of people site weight as an issue, but for me this is indicative of the build.

Fantastic lens. I bought this to complement the 70-220 2.8 IS L and I did not want to pay full price for the 24-70 version.

I have taken quite a few people shots with this lens and it is sharp as a blade on my 10D.

DOF is smooth and clean and shooting full open (2.8) at 50cm gives you such a fine DOF you can seperate a babies face from the sheet they are lying on.

I would say, if you can get one, it is worth trying.

Dec 4, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add david010167 to your Buddy List
baoluanle

Registered: Mar 6, 2004
Review Date: Dec 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, silent and quick AF, good range, constant 2.8, good zoom-hood design, solid built quality
Cons:
big and heavy but it's 2.8 so the size and weight are acceptable; attracts dust

one of the best zooms around. It gives nothing to the newer 24-70 other than 4mm on the wide end. the 24-70 helps lower the used price a little bit. if you can find one around $775-$825, get it. it's an excellent deal compared to the $1000 24-70.

Dec 2, 2004