76 308040 Sep 3, 2014
ef_28-70_28s_1_

EF 28-70mm f/2.8L USMHigh-performance standard zoom lens whose maximum f/2.8 aperture can be used at all focal lengths. It includes the normal 50mm focal length and a minimum focusing distance of 1.6 ft. (50cm). The large aspherical element helps obtain a high image quality comparable to single and focal length lenses.

huhuh

Registered: May 10, 2009
Review Date: Jul 11, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image Quality, Build Quality, lighter than 24-70L
Cons:

It is the only lense for my EOS 5D MK2, and I feel much enough. No more lenses needed anymore. The 28-70L is lighter, smaller, and even 400$ cheaper than 24-70L. However it always makes better or same image quality. I highly recommended it.

Jul 11, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add huhuh to your Buddy List
agnius

Registered: Nov 10, 2008
Review Date: Nov 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Good quality, durable, good image quality
Cons:
Eventually zoom mechanism broke - would not zoom all the way. Canon repaired for around $100

Folks,

I have purchased this lens based on the reviews of photo.net from the mid 90's. I have gotten over 10 years of good service from this lens. Now, after being repaired, it is going strong again. It has been stepped on during a bus tour in Baja Mexico (the little plastic window on the top of the barrel got cracked) but it still kept on ticking for the number of years. Eventually it jammed inside the Shiva temple in India, just to be restored to new state once back home and again continues going. That is some strong construction. I rented ef 100 2.8 macro, and I don't think it would survive as much use as the 28-70 has. 100 macro just feels way to fragile.

I have noticed that 28-70 is one of those lenses that as per Ron Popeil you just "set it and forget it". It is good for over 90% of type of photography that I enjoy. I have been thinking about getting a lens for a backup (in case of a break or jam again) but I am hard pressed to justify the weight and because of the recent overhaul I will keep using 28-70 for a long time.

The initial high price has been long forgotten and the quality of the lens will continue to perform for years to come.

Verdict: Workhorse lens.

Definitely recommended.

Nov 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add agnius to your Buddy List
Murray Thompso

Registered: Nov 27, 2006
Review Date: Oct 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Image Quality, sharpness and saturation. I doubt you will miss the extra 4mm. Price.
Cons:
Not weather sealed, but buying used you should know this.

I had been thinking of getting the 24-70 for some time, but was then offered the 28-70 for 250. I wouldn't normally buy second hand, but felt this was too good to miss. After reading the reviews I decided to go for it. It may be a used model but results are great, sharp and saturated colours. I only have L lenses, in my opinion they are worth the money, and this one is as good as any of them. You get used to the weight, build quality is good, but this is a good zoom ratio for keeping on the camera at all times. I have a couple of weddings to do soon and this will be a great help doing those. I only gave it a 9 because it is second hand and nothing is perfect.

Oct 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Murray Thompso to your Buddy List
tc.boxer

Registered: Sep 1, 2008
Review Date: Sep 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Construction, sharpness, contrast. It's just a great lens
Cons:
None really. Like many of Canon's nicer lens, it would be nice if it were a "IS" lens, but even teh 24-70mm isn't

It may be a "Aging" lens, but it is stillhighly sought after. Why?Because it's about $300.00 than the 24-70mm, and produces slightly better quality. The 4mm deosn't really matter to me, since I own the 17-40mm "L" lens. So who cares about the 4mm. I use it with a EOS 40d.

The only real downside is it's not weather sealed. For me that isn't a major concern. But if it is for you, than you might want to spend the extra $300.00 and get the 24-70mm.

For quality and realiability, this is one of the lens that made Canon stand up against Nikon. It's a pro grade lens that takes pro grade images. Any one who tells you "kit" lens area as good, well they drink to much. I owned the 28-135mm is before buying this used. It's a really good lens when used in the sweet spot, but it does not compare to this lens

Sep 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tc.boxer to your Buddy List
chuborama

Registered: Jun 18, 2008
Review Date: Sep 1, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $620.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 2.8, outstanding color and contrast, reverse extending zooming, solid build quality, AND sharp to boot!
Cons:
Heavy if you're not used to it/don't lift weights/use for extended periods of time, used copies generally see more wear than 24-70 2.8, 4mm longer on the wide end

I found this lens used for $US 620. I immediately went home and read all the reviews on FM and decided I had to have this lens.

I sold my 17-85 IS and bought this instead. It seems at first like an odd decision, seeing as I work on a 1.6 body, but looking at my photos and thinking things over I didn't use the wide all that much anyway. With a FF upgrade in my future in the next 2-3 years I didn't want to pass up on this one. Even at 44/45mm (28 on a 1.6) it's enough for group shots with maybe a step or two back.

The color and contrast totally blew me away. I read it was good, but I didn't know it was that good! With saturation at +3 it really works it's magic. My copy is quite sharp, even wide open, but I don't even bother pixel peeping because looking at the images full screen is just so satisfying.

This is a BIG lens - if you're used to the EF-S line (say 18-55 or 17-85, or even the 17-55 2.8) you're going to notice and feel the difference - especially with the huge hood! It's the little brother to the "brick" - I call it the "brick ver.1", affectionately of course :D I lift weights regularly, and use the 70-200 2.8 handheld alot, so for me it's not a problem, but just picking up my camera with one hand, which used to be a piece of cake with the 17-85 or 50 1.4, , makes me say "wow! this is one hunk of glass".

This lens has seen a bit of wear, and has some small bits of dust under the front element, but all that is forgetten when I load up the pictures onto my computer.

This lens WILL frighten people if you ask them to take your picture with it.

My advice is if you can find a copy, get it. I doubt there are that many out there that will do you wrong, and at the price they are going (sometimes even half of what the $1200 24-70 costs) you can't get a better bargain.

Sep 1, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chuborama to your Buddy List
tinke

Registered: May 18, 2007
Review Date: Jul 27, 2008 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I wanted to add that this lens I rated was a Bargain lens from one of the major used sellers - often you can find excellent copies that may have been prior engraved (my case). I have a second copy that I have from a private seller that I will likely be sending to Canon, and depending on the outcome of that I may swap out or keep the original bargain lens. A word to the wise: check for soft focus, and check the elements, as many of these lenses saw a lot of professional use.

Jul 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tinke to your Buddy List
tinke

Registered: May 18, 2007
Review Date: Jul 25, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Nice feel attached, does not feel like a "brick" at all. Maybe thats because it is lighter and shorter than its wider newer brother.
Cons:
Had time to do front and back focusing tests, and it came with a clean bill of health.

What more can be said about this lens. For years it was the standard "Wedding Lens" for pros. Still is for many. Got it for a moderate price in very nice conditon. Heartily recommend this lens after trying several copies, this now being my third (and hopefully last). Haven't tried a Nikon, but this Canon L by all appearances beats the others hands down.

Jul 25, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tinke to your Buddy List
zoso1959

Registered: Apr 3, 2008
Review Date: Jul 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $875.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: great lens well bulit, picture quality is outstanding, had it a few weeks and no problems, pictures sharp & colorful, I think i got lucky and got a good quality lens with no-problems
Cons:
a bit heavy and scares off some people with the size of then lens, oh well can't please everybody.......just me...:-)

works great with ny 40d
zoso

Jul 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add zoso1959 to your Buddy List
jerokaz

Registered: Jan 14, 2006
Review Date: May 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharpness, Contrast, Price Point, 2.8 Constant Aperture, Build Quality
Cons:
Aging Lens, It's not a 24-70L

I've shot this lens a few times. It is tack on sharp!!!! Focus speed is very fast, constant aperture is taking some getting used to. Bokeh is superb. This is my second "L" lens. I've noticed that there is a learning curve with this lens. It is so sharp that it will pick up on any little imperfection on a subject. Great lens, Highly impressed.

May 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jerokaz to your Buddy List
big country

Registered: Nov 27, 2006
Review Date: Mar 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazing Sharp, Very Durable and long lasting proving the "L" quality!
Cons:
this lens is aging, and from what i understand canon no longer does repairs on it. no weather sealing.

This lens is fantastic. If you can find a copy in excellent shape, then I say get it. I have had several copies of this lens and the 24-70 2.8 L and this lens wins hands down every time!

It is great on either a full frame or a crop camera and perfect for most situations. It does lack IS, so the 24-105 f/4 IS may be a better lens for some people...but if you need the 2.8 then this is the way to go!

Mar 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add big country to your Buddy List
fteter

Registered: Jan 24, 2008
Review Date: Jan 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Great IQ - Sharp images, vibrant colors, fast and quiet AF
Cons:
Not weather sealed

I rolled the dice and purchased this lens used on eBay. Really wanted a 24-70 f/2.8 L. In fact, I was serious enough to rent one for a week-end just to check it out. The 24-70 is a great lens, but the price on that lens is pretty high. Got the 28-70 lens for a price I just couldn't pass up, especially after reading the other reviews here.

The lens arrived earlier today. I took about 100 shots of various types (some macro outside, indoors in low light, a few candid portraits in natural light). Nothing inspiring, I just want to get a feel for the lens. I sure liked the way this lens felt in my hands. Solid build - feels like high-quality gear. It may be a little lighter than the 24-70, but not much. The AF is very smooth, very quiet and very fast.

After shooting, I uploaded to my PC, and laid them out for a look (included some serious pixel peeping). The very first thing that struck me was the sharpness of the images. I was consistently impressed. This lens also rendered some very rich colors, which really gave the images some "pop".

My expectations for this lens was that the IQ would compete with my 70-200 f/4 L. Not only does this lens compete, but the sharpness may better at certain settings (around 50m at f/8 seems to be a sweet spot, at least for this copy).

My only complaint is that the lens is not weather sealed, so I'll have to be a bit careful about subjecting it to the elements (I took off a point on "Build Quality" for this).

I am very happy with my purchase. If you're thinking about the 24-70 and you don't mind giving up the 4mm on the low end, consider a used 28-70. You'll likely save several hundred dollars without sacrificing any IQ whatsoever. This lens will be in my bag until the glass falls out.

Jan 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add fteter to your Buddy List
troutmask

Registered: Sep 22, 2004
Review Date: Nov 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast focusing well built top quality lens
Cons:
Nothing at all other than they don't make it any more!

I am rating this as a second hand alternate to the 24mm-70mm. As that is how people come across it these days. As there are quite a few around I can only say buy one. I really cannot tell the difference between the images from this and the 24-70. I use it on a 1D mk II, perhaps on the 1Ds there maybe some differences at the edges; otherwise this is absolutely the best standard lens you can get.
I tell newcomers until you can afford this lens stick with something cheap and good like the 50mm f1.8 as until you use one of these you won't really get the best out of your camera with even the cheapest dSLR.
The reason this lens (and now its replacement) is in every working photographers bag is because it is so good. OK it would be nice if it was completely sealed (and I do take one point of for this as I feel all L lenses should be completely sealed against the body, it can't cost Canon that much) and even better if it was f1.8...but then it would cost as much as a small car!
A lens to use every day, it won't let you down and at less than 500 second hand thee days an absolute bargain.

Nov 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add troutmask to your Buddy List
netminder0

Registered: Apr 1, 2007
Review Date: Nov 5, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Great, sharp L lens. Not as heavy as 24-70, or so I'm told. Can find much cheaper than 24-70. Build quality is superb.
Cons:
? Can't really think of any.

I bought this lens second-hand in May for $650 which was a steal at the time. I have used it all over the world since then, and it has worked great for my mid-range portrait lens. Very sharp, and has Canon's L build quality. What's not to like?

Nov 5, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add netminder0 to your Buddy List
Jay Taft

Registered: Dec 28, 2004
Review Date: Aug 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, solid construction, wide aperture, used prices. Excellent sharpness and overall image quality at f/2.8.
Cons:
None so far.

I considered the 24-70 L for a few hundred dollars more than the older 28-70 L. But I already have a 17-40 L and Tokina 12-24 which I plan to keep, so the 24mm focal length is well covered. After reading reviews about the 28-70 L, I posted a WTB here and got a number of responses. Ended up buying one that had been used very little and is in excellent condition.

The image quality is excellent at all apertures I commonly use (up to f/11) and focal lengths. The reviews did not say much about its close focusing characteristics so I tried those first. Even in close focus mode (marked macro on the barrel) it performs very well. The AF is back focusing very slightly at 28mm f/2.8 in close focus, but I focus manually most of the time in "macro" anyway. AF is spot on at f/2.8 at 50mm and 70mm. Focus looks fine at 28mm out of the "macro" range.

Color and contrast are what I expect from an L lens based on the 17-40 L and 70-200 f/4 L IS. Overall, I am very pleased with the 28-70 L. I recommend it highly for those who don't need the extra 4mm on the wide end, or who want to save a few hundred dollars.

Aug 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jay Taft to your Buddy List
ray_lam5

Registered: Sep 18, 2005
Review Date: Jul 9, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Colour, Usm, Range, Creamy smooth Brokeh, Sharpness F2.8!
Cons:
Price?

I bought this lens specifically for a friends wedding (In the london eye, regents park and a restaurant) as I enjoyed the 70-200F4L and wanted a standard fast zoom. I thought about a new 24-70L but knew buying a mint copy of this famous lens would save me a few bucks and produce a similar result.

Well throughout the wedding I used this lens about 90% of the time and only reached for my sigma 12-24 for the group shots in confined space. The colour, contrast and speed is what puts a canon lens in a different level to sigma although sigma do give sharp results for the money.

Im just going through DPP and am very very happy with the results that are coming from this lens. I would recommend picking up a mint copy somehow as this was only like $250 cheaper than a brand new 24-70.

I think Im hooked on this and am looking to flog most of my gear now. My 1d and this classic lens will serve me well for many years to come.

Jul 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ray_lam5 to your Buddy List
JMGG

Registered: Mar 11, 2004
Review Date: May 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp, well, really this lense has everything you can ask in a lense.
Cons:

Someone (opusthecat) rated this lense 5, I dont understand why. This lense is great in every aspect.

It is a bit too heavy but thats normal in a well made lense.

I have both, 24-70 and 28-70 and I really see no diference but the 4mm.

For a wedding photography this lense is a must, you can shot an entire wedding with this lense.

May 10, 2007