Gitzo G1348 Inter Pro Studex Mk2 Carbon Fiber

9 45562 Sep 1, 2009
G1348

Maximum Height 65.7" (166.9 cm)
Minimum Height 4.3" (10.9 cm)
Folded Length 24.0" (61.0 cm)
Load Capacity 26.50 lb (12.02 kg)
Leg Sections 4
Leg Lock Type Twist
Independent Leg Spread Yes
Center Column Sections 0
Center Column Type None
Center Brace No
Spiked Feet No
Head Mount Thread Size 1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud)
Weight 4.80 lb (2.18 kg)

Neal Oshima

Registered: Oct 5, 2007
Review Date: Sep 1, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent stability to weight ratio, good value for money, great min/max height. Best equipment purchase I've made in 30 years as a professional phototgrapher.
Cons:
Hard to find a tripod head that's its equal.

I've had this tripod since it came out, purchased in Paris from FNAC right after initial release. I've used it with everything including an 8X10 Philips and a 1-DS Canon with a 500mm f4 w/ 2X and its always been very stable. Its been up every temple in Angkor Watt carrying a heavy 5X7 Linhof Technika. In the studio with a monorail view camera, I'll replace it with a larger and 3X heavier alu Gitzo but I have no doubt that the carbon Studex is equally stable. Lately, on long hikes with a DSLR, have been using a carbon Benbo that's 2+ lbs lighter but am always struck by how shaky it is in comparison.
After all the years and abuse mine still looks fine though the enamel finish on the aluminum head is flaking off. Early on I covered the legs with sections of mt bike inner tube to protect the carbon and they still look perfect. Shooting at the beach its best to lower the bottom leg first so that the threads are out of the sand. Inevitably you'll get salt or sand in them and when turning the threads feels gritty, you should disassemble the whole thing and toothbrush the inner and outer threads with lighter fluid. Dry everything off, relube and reassemble. It takes about an hour and I've done it about 7 times in ten years but mine still works like new.
Best equipment purchase I've made in 30+ years as a professional phototgrapher. Buy it and treat it halfway decently and you will never have to think about getting another tripod.

Sep 1, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Neal Oshima to your Buddy List
KETCH ROSSI

Registered: Sep 11, 2007
Review Date: Dec 10, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $629.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sturdy for an extremely light Carbon fiber tripod, folds very small, easy to carry, Great configurations possible.
Cons:

Purchased this tripod for my Canon 1D body set up and L lenses including the heavy 400 f/2.8 (now stolen, ouch).

Some don't like the twist lock system but I do, it is much easier and safe then others I had in the past, you just have to twist very firmly the upper section first to allow the lower sections to unlock.

As it folds to only 24" makes very easy to take every were, with out compromising the lagage size.

I added the gear column G338 and expended its use greatly, obviously with the geared column fully extended it is not as sturdy.

Gets low and durty when need to, the legs configurations possibilities are great ( geared column removed to reach the lowest point).

I reccomend this tripod to any one.

Ciao,

KETCH ROSSI
www.KETCHFRAME.com

Dec 10, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add KETCH ROSSI to your Buddy List
Arto Alamaunu

Registered: Sep 21, 2006
Review Date: Sep 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

Right. I'm on a mission for a lifetime tripod and a ballhead. So far, the G1348 with RSS BH-55 ballhead is an alternative number one. Expensive, yes, but cheap usually ends somewhere in your storage with no use and I'm too mingy to buy some tripods and ballheads every now and then... My father's got a 60's Gitzo Gilux Reporter with no intention to get a newer one. It's been a great tool for about 45 years with it's original Gitzo Reporter 2 head and still is. I should know, dragging that ancient tripod in the swamps and forests of Lapland. I'll get my heritage some day, but untill then I need something else to drag.
Anyways, I believe, after all Googling and researching, that this is it! Thank you all for sharing your opinions about this tripod and I'll be glad to tell mine in some future. Depends how fast i'm going to get that ballhead from USA....

Sep 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Arto Alamaunu to your Buddy List
Paul Simon

Registered: Jan 9, 2003
Location: Brazil
Review Date: Jun 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Quality, Excellent compromise stability/weight-size (fantastic stability, reasonable size-weight), leg locks easy to handle. With G1321, ideal for serious panoramic work.
Cons:
Nothing comes cheap...

Talking about photo gear, it is probably the tripod that made me read the most posts/articles on the web before purchase.
I wanted one I could not blame for blurry photos due to lack of stability, while still being packageable reasonably easily as often travelling by plane...
...I have to say I could not wish for a more stable tripod, and still can pack it and carry it along.
I rarely extend the last leg part (although being 6.2 feet tall) for extra stability.
Featured with a G1321 levelling base (although not light) and a RSS BH55 ball head, this is as close to perfection as I could have even been expecting from a tripod to do panoramic work.
Now just need to last for min 10 years to swallow the price (full package cost over 1100$S).

Jun 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Paul Simon to your Buddy List
Tom Conte

Registered: Mar 8, 2002
Review Date: Jan 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $621.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sturdy, high quality, great weight holding ability
Cons:

I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as a single tripod for every situation. So I've elected to own two, a ultra-packable tripod for short lenses, and this tripod. The G1348 holds a lot of weight, and hence is great for big guns, is sturdy as can be, and packs up to a short two feet.

My motto: a long or bulky tripod is a tripod left in your car, 'nuf said.

I've heard people say that the G1325 is sturdier, but honestly I don't care. What?? Why don't I care? Because when I extend two of of the three extendable leg segments of the G1348, it is the perfect height for me. I don't need the fourth leg segment. The G1325 wouldn't be quite right. (And since you may be trying to figure out if this trick will work for you, I'm 5'9").

Some people don't like the leg locks. There is a trick to this: do not over-tighten the locks! If you do, ultimately, it will require even more tightening, etc., and become more annoying. Tighten the locks one quarter turn past when you first feel resistance, and that's it. Also, extend the leg locks working from the lowest lock first, untwist that, extend, go up the tripod leg. If anything slips, slightly tighten the upper locks. Reverse the procedure to collapse. It is second nature for me now.

Jan 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Tom Conte to your Buddy List
Keith Flood

Registered: Nov 25, 2003
Review Date: Dec 31, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $510.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Large, rigid, light and versitile. I got this for use with my big lenses. It works perfectly with Acratech UBH/sidekick and a Canon 500mm f/4. What is also real nice is that the center can be replaced with any number of columns or a leveling mount. This pod is also very compact for it's size.
Cons:
cost.

I bought mine used on ebay and love it. If you need sturdy and light for moderate to large lenses then this is the tripod. I also love the height, as I am 6'1", this tripod extends to well above my eye level, no more bending over!

Dec 31, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Keith Flood to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Aug 18, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $610.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: I've used it for three years in heavy duty waterfowl hunting environments and it has held up beautifully.
Cons:
The leg twists are a real pain. Guess you have to have something like them but they really frustrate me sometimes

Aug 18, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
Nick.

Registered: Apr 7, 2003
Review Date: Apr 15, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, Height, Sturdiness, Systematic
Cons:

The tripod is incredibly sturdy. After using a Bogen/Man. alumnimum for 2 years, the Gitzo is a nice break in weight. The G1348 combine with the Rapid CF Center Column is still 3 pounds less than my older alumnimum tripod. Gitzo's twist-lock although not as quick to setup as Bogen/Manf.'s snap-lock, is still very nice and easy. No complaint, it's Different. One thing I don't like about Bogen/Manf.'s snap-lock is my fingers always get pinched opening the leg lock. Ouch!

Systematic is great! I can remove the Rapid CF Center Column and use just the flat plate whenever I need/want to cut down on weight.

The price for the G1348 is just outrageous, although that is general true of all photographic equipment and spaceage technologies.

I think I'm in Love, again. :-)

Apr 15, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Nick. to your Buddy List
Jack Flesher

Registered: Oct 23, 2002
Review Date: Apr 1, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Incredibly sturdy, very lighweight.
Cons:
Gitzo twist leglocks...

This is an awesome all-around tripod. I have used it to steady 35mm through 8x10 view camera systems; my Leica with the 21 mounted as well as with the Wimberley Sidekick under my EOS 1D with the 500/4 IS plus 2xII attached -- and it works perfectly for all. I have an Arca B1 head on it, and in over 30 years of shooting, this is simply the best all around tripod I have used.

Apr 1, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Add Jack Flesher to your Buddy List

Gitzo G1348 Inter Pro Studex Mk2 Carbon Fiber