Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM

27 208042 Apr 16, 2013
8.7
ef35_350_1_

Super telephoto zoom lens with a 10x zoom ratio! High image quality is maintained. Ideal for sports and documentary photography when you need to change the framing often. The zoom adjustment ring lets you adjust the zoom torque to your liking. At the 135mm focal length, close-ups up to 0.25x are possible.

Page:  1 · 2  next

rbussmann

Registered: Apr 11, 2013
Review Date: Apr 16, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great focal range, excellent color rendition, very compact for its focal range
Cons:
The zoom locking mechanism is a bit cumbersome, no IS

Great zoom for what is intended for. Color rendition is very nice. Always amazed about how compact this lens is. Pity that Canon did not maintain this range and add IS, rather than coming up with the 28-300. IS on this would be really nice. Zoom creep is an issue, and the locking mechanism is either too loose or too stiff.

Apr 16, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rbussmann to your Buddy List
Betacamman

Registered: Jun 12, 2011
Review Date: Nov 13, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Smaller, lighter than the 70-200 2.8, great range, sharp, fast focusing.
Cons:
MFD is variable, bokeh is not always pleasing

My first copy of this lens was beat to hell and leaking oil inside. I still loved it, but had to give it up.

My new copy is in much better shape and I love it even more. Easy to shoot with, quite sharp considering the range it covers.

It's not light, but it is lighter than my 70-200 2.8 IS, and smaller as well.

It's my airshow lens of choice, and my walkabout lens when I'm not carrying my E-P3.

Nov 13, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Betacamman to your Buddy List
Gunzorro

Registered: Aug 27, 2010
Review Date: Sep 26, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Amazing color rendition -- great for skin tones. Very nice focal range. Super build quality.
Cons:
I like IS and the wider 28-300L, but I think this has the better imaging of the two. Yes, it's heavy and big -- duh!

I loved this lens and would have kept it, but moved up to the 28-300L instead because:
1) IS (possibly snappier AF)
2) 28mm

Otherwise, I think this lens had slightly better IQ, and certainly a richer, warmer image tone. Really some elegant images from this lens. Even though it's softer from 300-350, I miss that range. At f/8, this lens really shines throughout its entire range.

A real bargain for L quality below $1000.

I had to sell to pay for the 28-300L, but thought about keeping it anyway!

Sep 26, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Gunzorro to your Buddy List
NCB7

Registered: Oct 16, 2011
Review Date: Oct 16, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: 10 X ZOOM, BUILD QUALITY, COLOR, BOKEH
Cons:
WEIGHT, NO IS

I have the best primes canon makes! This lens is great for what it is. It gives great Bokeh! 3.5 is a little slow and it can be soft at 350, but it shoots fairly crisp at 300. I've gotten some really good shots with this lens I would not have gotten otherwise. For what it is (10x zoom) Its great! I had the 28-300 L IS version as well. It was great but didnt see 1,000 in improvements. As far as other people that rated this below a 5? I would question the source. I dont think Canon makes an L lense that should be rated below a 7 period. I make a living from my photography. SEVENART.ORG

Oct 16, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add NCB7 to your Buddy List
AaronNegro

Registered: Apr 7, 2008
Review Date: Mar 12, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: From 35 to 250 mm with acceptable IQ, not that big, very well built. Color rendering is very good. Very handy and quick to focus.
Cons:
The zoom barrel on mine goes lose when carrying the camera, do not drink much coffee if you are going to use it ;) use some technique to keep it sturdy for good sharpness.

I used it just for a couple of days so far and I can say I have a pleasant feeling with this lens.

Got it second hand after trading in a Sigma 70-200 2.8 HSM Macro II I was not using much and I was not very happy with.

The range is great with my 5D and I love the pictures I'm able to take with it.

My findings:
1-Very good at the wide end
2-Color rendering is great
3-The highlights seem to remain more with this lens than with my other lens
4-Push/Pull zoom is quicker for me than the usual ring
5-Acceptable picture quality at 350 if keeping a sturdy position
6-AF is quick and reliable, far more reliable than the Sigma it replaced
7-lighter than carrying a 24-70 and the 70-200 in my bag.
8-No lens swap needed is a great mind changer.

While I can only use this zoom in daylight or bust the ISO big time when going indoor, I'm very happy I found a cheap good copy in a local shop. Surely i prefer this lens over the Sigma.

A weel deserved 10 for the price I bought it for.

Mar 12, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add AaronNegro to your Buddy List
SanjMaghera

Registered: Jun 8, 2010
Review Date: Jun 8, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Versatile, Great Colour & Contrast, Great on full frame 5d mk ii (and making use of higher iso to counter lack of IS). Etheral quality to landscape photos
Cons:
Not really a concern for me, but not as sharp as a prime lens

I love this lens.

Some say its heavy, but it depends what you're used to...its not really that different to any of the high quality L lenses.

I've used this lens to great effect in two completely different applications:

Lake District...captured some really beautiful pics with a wonderful etheral quality that was missing from my cousins 24-70, 70-200 combo...the latter lenses are definitely sharper, but the 35-350L turned in much more film like performance with great tones and colours...I prefer these over the razor sharp but perhaps somewhat synthentic look that the 24-70 & 70-200. With the 35-350L you get a more sutble look, great colour etc.

A gig! Yes, my cousin is in an up and coming band and so I got the chance to shoot some shots under low light conditions in a small venue (about 100 guests)...pics came out great - I used live view + contrast detect auto focus, it was great to get intimate shots without getting in the way of the band/audience. I also used a 50mm f1.8, the focusing on this was not great...I preferred the 35-350 which surprised me. Check out these:

All in all, I'm very happy with this lens - you just need to learn how best to use it, but once you do its a keeper

Jun 8, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SanjMaghera to your Buddy List
irispatch

Registered: Feb 3, 2008
Review Date: May 31, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Versatility, Range, Build, IQ
Cons:
Discontinued, no IS.

I wanted a good zoom since my husband took over my 70-200mm F4 IS, I found a recently Canon refurbished 35-350mm. The push pull aspect is great, since I my old film zoom lens was a push pull it is easy to work worth. Now to test it out. It is about 4 ounces lighter than a 100-400mm, still a little heavy but not so that I could not use it while hiking. First effort I left the tripod in the car... While at times I wished that I had it since there is no IS but then i t forces you to use good technique and not to rely on IS. I was amazed to find that most of my shots was as sharp or far sharper than the 100-400MM lenses that I had tried in the past. Pop it onto a good tripod and it gives very sharp images. Ok I lose 50mm at the long end and I am ahead 65mm on the wide end. Certainly gives me a lot to work with as far as framing. It is a keeper for me.
Not sure why some think the hood is big... it isn't it is a petal hood no longer than on the 70-200 a bit wider because the filter size is 72mm not all that huge It is built like a tank as it should be.

May 31, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add irispatch to your Buddy List
EOS20

Registered: Mar 6, 2005
Review Date: Sep 8, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Good zoom range, Good build quality, Versatile.
Cons:
Big and heavy, No IS, Big Lens Hood, No focus limiter, Bit slow.

Picked up a good condition used copy of this lens.

This is my second Canon push/pull zoom lens, so I don't mind the push/pull design. The lens has a good build quality, typical of a Canon L lens, with good colours and decent bokeh and it makes a nice semi macro lens. It's a great all round lens for those times when you don't want to carry around a bag full of lenses, or you don't know what your going to encounter while out and about. It does have decent sharpness and colours, but don't expect prime sharpness, but that is to be expected since it's a 10x zoom lens.

I've written a more comprehensive review here:

Sep 8, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EOS20 to your Buddy List
margilli

Registered: May 13, 2008
Review Date: Jul 29, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality is definitely worthy of the L designation. Great focal range. Suberb build quality. I'm totally satisfied with this lens.
Cons:
Haven't found any.

Jul 29, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add margilli to your Buddy List
babylonboots

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: Apr 13, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: focal range, versatility, image quality
Cons:

Great walk-around lens. I'm was always challenged when selecting a lens to carry around. This one has it all - near wide to telephoto. Found that I'm using it more than ever. Weight isn't too bad - I'm used to other telephotos. Image quality has been great so far. Very pleased with this 7 year old lens. Picked up a mint copy from a local guy who wasn't using it at all.

Apr 13, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add babylonboots to your Buddy List
trenchmonkey

Registered: Oct 21, 2004
Review Date: Mar 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Range, colors, contrast, build, ultimate (pre 28-300) walkaround
Cons:

Always wanted to try an uber zoom. Pretty sharp wide open,
stop down 1 or so and it becomes very sharp. AF very fast,
using this primarily with a 1D as my "throw in the truck" kit.
Excellent color, contrast...what you'd expect in a L zoom. I
knew it didn't have IS when I bought it, so I've got nothing but
great things to say about it. Long lens technique comes into play
if you're expecting sharp keepers due to it's heft but I've taken
amazing landscapes and turned around and nailed BIF without
changing lenses and THAT is worth every penny spent. I don't
think sample variation is the cause for mixed reviews, you need
to keep the shutter speeds up and have some skills to make this
sing but so far I love what I'm hearing.:)

Mar 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add trenchmonkey to your Buddy List
tonno1970

Registered: Jan 13, 2005
Review Date: Sep 2, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $850.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very versatile an dgood IQ
Cons:
pump zoom, a little on the heavy side

I bought this used for 850 Euros not USD.

I waited a lot to buy it as I was not sure about its quality rendition. I must admit I was surprised for the good quality it delivers. Expecially on the 1D 1,3x sensor.
I tested vs 70-200/4L and this last wins at every focal length but the 35-350 is much more useful for my purposes and the IQ is still very good. Not for pixels peeper but in the "real" world it does the job!

My only complain is the push pull zoom that in my copy is very annoying and it is not so easy to use.

Sep 2, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tonno1970 to your Buddy List
Brad Hartwig

Registered: Dec 26, 2005
Review Date: Aug 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Range, coverage
Cons:
Weight

I bought this lens used from a second hand store in Japan. It is in good shape, and takes brilliant shots. I am pleased with the lens overall.

I really like the locking ring for the trombone zoom. My 70-210 f4 doesn't have this, and it makes things sloppy.

I have wanted this lens for some time and am very pleased with it. I also considered the 28-300, but with the price being 3X it wasn't justifiable.

Aug 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Brad Hartwig to your Buddy List
johnshinn3

Registered: Jun 28, 2006
Review Date: Nov 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: versatile with a 10X zoom making it ideal as a walk-around lens for me.
Cons:
big lens hood

After realizing I needed a longer focal lens for my shooting needs, I sold my 70-200 f4L to buy this lens. While I miss the tack sharp shots of the 70-200, I'm nevertheless satisfied with this lens which (attached to my EOS-1D) has become my walk-around lens. The combined weight of the 1D and the 35-350 lens --- about a little over 6 lbs. --- does not bother me at all. Overall, I've shot some really (sharp) great sports pictures, as well as spot news photos, with this lens. My only complaint really is the big lens hood. Other than that I'm extremely happy with this lens and will keep it as my favorite walk-around Canon "L" lens.

Nov 21, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add johnshinn3 to your Buddy List
logihouse

Registered: Mar 30, 2005
Review Date: Apr 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Huge range 10 pretty sharp
Cons:
Expensive compared to a point and shoot zoom camera

Used it on a trip to Tenerife as a supplement to my 400 mm f 5.6
The contrast and sharpness is overwhelmely better with the
400 mm f 5.6. Even my withbrought old Olympus UZ 2100 *) camera could follow the 35-350 mm in sharpness. I have sold the 35-350 and bought a Lumix FZ 30 for family and holiday, and stick to my primes:
400 mm f 5.6 L +
500 mm F 4 +
50 mm 1.4 on my SLR.

*) What a pitty that cameraline was discontinued. It was and is a superb camera.

Apr 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add logihouse to your Buddy List
incdigital

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Mar 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: HUGE RANGE! , Great used price, L color and contrast, Build, Sharp for 10x zoom
Cons:
No IS, Push/Pull Zoom not my fav...but it does the job

Mar 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add incdigital to your Buddy List

Canon EF 35-350mm f/3.5-5.6L USM