Gitzo G1548GT Mk2 Carbon Fiber

6 30679 Feb 24, 2008
G1548GT_1_

Maximum Height 91.3" (232 cm)
Minimum Height 6.7" (17 cm)
Folded Length 27.1" (69 cm)
Load Capacity 33.00 lb (15 kg)
Leg Sections 6
Leg Lock Type Twist
Independent Leg Spread Yes
Center Column Type Optional (includes circular platform)
Center Brace No
Spiked Feet No
Head Mount Thread Size 1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud)
Weight 8.2 lb (3.720 kg)

Hugo B.

Registered: Feb 15, 2008
Review Date: Feb 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $759.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Rock solid, meant for tall people, less bending over. Best made tripod, period.
Cons:
Twist leg clamps are arkward and a pain to use but once locked, all is forgiven. I think it's been discontinued. Sorry! Try Gitzo GT5560SGT.

This is the steadiest tripods I have ever seen, it just doesn't move once set, a tripods highest praise. I use it with a Wimberly Head and a Canon EOS 1DS Mark II w/ Canon 600mm f4 IS USM lens and it weighs approximately 25lbs., a load to carry on ones shoulder. I also use it Arca-Swiss Monoball B1 Ballhead for my other lenses, another great discontinued product. A little over-kill for my smaller lenses but I'm willing to carry this 8.2lb. tripod, it's that good.

Feb 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hugo B. to your Buddy List
jgfranks

Registered: Jul 11, 2006
Review Date: Dec 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $759.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Stability, height and storage size.
Cons:
A little heavy for a carbon fiber, but to be expected for height.

This is my second Gitzo, my other is a 1325 which I love for almost everything I use it for. Only problem is that I am 6' 2" tall and the 1325 is just a tad short of optimal height for me.

The 1548GT is ideal paired with my Wimberley gimbel and Nikkor 200-400 Zoom. It is also excellent for getting above the subject, used with a step ladder, or getting above blocking terrain or obstruction.

The build quality is first rate, no complaints, this thing is rock solid, a real tank and the most stable support platform I have ever used. Don't go for a center column, you will ruin the stability and you just don't need it with the 1548GT.

Dec 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jgfranks to your Buddy List
Andybrightuk

Registered: Feb 23, 2002
Review Date: Sep 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $700.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Solidity, Solidity and Solidity
Cons:

USING THE NON-GT G1548 W/O Rapid Column.

The only real choice for use with 600mm f4 lenses. Build quality is outstanding and is as stable as the rock of Gibraltar.

As a bird photographer I far prefer the twist leg locks to anything that loudly snaps shut, so that's an immediate benefit to myself over any competition... not that there is much.

The non-GT version + Gimbal head fully extended, presents the viewfinder at exactly the right height for myself (6ft 4inch) and only subjects at extremely high trajectories will present any discomfort... obviously the rapid column is an option but will sacrifice some stability, add extra weight and prevent you from opening the leg angles out for working close to the ground. In fact, the Gitzo can get you to within inches of ground level to get those photogenic shots of ground based subjects.

Anyone who quibbles about the price needs a serious talking to... you're likely to be supporting equipment that equals the cost of a new car, moaning about a couple of hundred /$$ to get this equipment performing at it's best is beyond belief.

Sep 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Andybrightuk to your Buddy List
Ruffo

Registered: Sep 5, 2004
Review Date: Aug 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $849.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Stability - Extra height - Craftsmanship
Cons:
Weight

I wouldn't neccesarily ever need the full 91" inch height of this tripod but there are very few choices in the 70"+ category. I was pleasantly surprised when I found that just extending the 3 largest sections all the way out is perfect for my height (6'6"). The standard 1548 was just too short for me. This is one rock solid tripod and packing the extra weight is more often than not, worth the effort.
Adding the Op-tech leg pads for me was a must and it is now quite comfortable to shoulder. I imagine it would be hard to find a better tripod when working with 500-600mm glass.

Aug 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Ruffo to your Buddy List
tived

Registered: Jan 31, 2003
Review Date: Jan 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: for it size it seems very light, and sturdy. only 4 legs sections so it must be a MkI version and not the MkII. I am extremely happy with these legs and hope I one day can mount my own 600mm on it
Cons:
I can't get to grips with the tighting or loosen the legs, especially when I am in a hurry - solution to this is shoot more and be on time :-)...it is a bit expensive - especially when bought in Australia

I had been longing for a lighter tripod and had been reading up on Luminous-landscape about MR's 13xx legs with all his bells and wissles. I was drooling till I ran into this shop in Perth, which just happen to have a pair of Gitzo Carbon legs, namely the 1548 (probably MkI, it doesn't say! but it certainly doesn't six legs sections, thank god for that!:-) )

I originally used it with a GRAF Studioball, which weigh 1.7kg which of course is very stable but you are completely out of breath when you reach the hill top. So, I finally got a Arca B1 and the carbon has finally come into its own right. I feel a lot younger running around with these legs and I have since also added the leveling base to it, though again more weight, but this not as bad as the Graf.

My biggest lens is currently the Canon EF 300 f/2.8L IS sometimes used with converters, and as you would expect it is rock solid, legs are a complete overkill for this lens. However, my dreams may one day take me to the 600mm f/4LIS and then I think I got the legs to match.

I think the build quality is great, bar the tighten/loosen rings which seems hard to control, at least for me, but I understand that the newer versions have an improved system. I would very much recommend these great looking legs. Yes, it is an overkill for what I got, but so is everything else I got :-)

Jan 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tived to your Buddy List
bradhusick

Registered: Feb 23, 2004
Review Date: Mar 30, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: + built like a tank + large platform + bubble level + can be quite tall + incredibly stable
Cons:
- twist legs take longer to adjust than snap style - despite being carbon fiber, it's still heavy - large head means even when legs are folded, diameter is still large

For heavy cameras and large lenses, this is an excellent tripod. Stability is rock-solid. Excellent for use with a Wimberly head.

Mar 30, 2004