Gitzo G1327 Mountaineer Mk2 Carbon Fiber

11 68557 Mar 19, 2007
10.0
G1327_1_

Maximum Height 70.6" (179.5 cm)
Maximum Height without Column Extension 59.8" (152 cm)
Minimum Height 17.3" (44 cm)
Folded Length 28" (71 cm)
Load Capacity 26.5 lb (12 kg)
Leg Sections 3
Leg Lock Type Twist
Independent Leg Spread Yes
Center Column Sections 1
Center Column Type Sliding
Center Brace No
Spiked Feet No
Head Mount Thread Size 1/4"-20 & 3/8"-16 (reversible stud)
Weight 5.14 lb (2.33 kg)

The Image

Registered: Dec 3, 2004
Review Date: Mar 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: rock solid and beautifully built
Cons:

I purchased the 1325 (no column) for the upmost stability, i have it mated to a arca-swiss B1 ballhead, the best dam rig ive ever had, and ive been shooting with tripods for 30+ years, aside from its lightness, rock solid stability & smooth operation these legs are simple to clean...even in the field, recently i was shooting on the beach and a freak wave submerged the tripod, took it homeand unscrewed the legs , cleaned it and it was good to go. Highly recommended

Mar 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add The Image to your Buddy List
Theophile

Registered: Apr 10, 2006
Review Date: May 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Gitzo 1325 (no center column) Solid-Stable-Lightweight-Precise
Cons:
You get what you pay for!

I did my homework and decided to spend Wisely-the Gitzo 1325, with a lifetime warranty, will be with me as long as I stay in this hobby!! It is Extremely Well made and a rock-solid platform that I "trust" to secure tightly my bodylenses that are at a considerably larger investment!!!

I have it paired with a RRS (Really Right Stuff) BH 55-LR Ball Head and a Kirk FP-300 replacement Base Plate! Due to the extended heigth capability of this 3-leg set, I felt I didn't need the center console of the 1327!!

May 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Theophile to your Buddy List
Franz Ellers

Registered: Aug 22, 2005
Review Date: Dec 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: steadiness/weight ratio is great
Cons:
Price, but worth it if you use a tripod even semi-regularly.

I'm using this with a Kirk BH-1 head and so far it’s unrivaled. I've never used anything so steady excluding some extremely heavy studio tripods which weigh in at around 35 lbs; it allows me to do multiple exposures with no hassle.

I didn't realize how important this tripod was until I lost it for a week (broke the insert on the Kirk head after dropping it, fixed under warranty). Even tightened down and being careful I had slight camera movement with a backup Manfrotto with Tilt Pan head, which rendered it next to useless for my purposes.

Buy this and be set for life or at least a good decade.

Dec 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Franz Ellers to your Buddy List
carl_414

Registered: Nov 22, 2002
Review Date: Sep 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Rock Solid - Inspires confidence.
Cons:
I would say price at over $900...however, I doubt I could have spent it better to improve my photography and workflow when in the field.

I purchased the 1325 (no center column) and a Kirk BH-1 ballhead from Kirk Enterprises. Having used the manfrotto 3221 legs for a couple years with good success I was skeptical about the new tripod. I expected to be getting "more than I need" for my short to medium lenses (the biggest being a 100-400 currently). WAS I WRONG! I feel completely confident when shooting with this setup - even with just my wide-angle work! While the bogen/manfrotto could hold the equipment, I always felt the system fragile and uncertain. Not with the gitzo! You stick it to the ground, lock the ballhead, and you have a rock solid system that invokes confidence!

Sep 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add carl_414 to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Aug 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $350.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Stable/rock solid and light
Cons:
NONE

I bought this tripod shortly after I got the 600 L to replace the broken Bogen 055MF3. Yep, the bogen could not handle the 600 beast. I use this tripod with the Jobo-Design Black Widow head and the combo works wonderfully with the lens. At first, I thought the twist leg locks would be an issue BUT not at all. It works like a charm. I have no complaints whatsoever with this tripod. It's a must if you lens is the 500, 600 or 400 2.8.

Aug 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List
mls1068

Registered: Jan 16, 2005
Review Date: Jul 3, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, twist leg locks are easy to use
Cons:
Bogen's lack of customer service

I love this tripod, in combination with an Arca Swiss B1 its a winning pair. Did have a minior repair issue with one of the leg pins. Getting replacement parts from Bogen was like pulling teeth. I look forward to not having to deal with them again.

Jul 3, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mls1068 to your Buddy List
GeneO

Registered: Jul 10, 2003
Review Date: May 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: 1325 (no column) very stable, light
Cons:
twist lock legs, cost

I use the 1325 (same as 1327 but with no center coumn) with my Canon 500/4L, and Arca Swiss B1, and Wimberly sidekick. It provides a very stable platform for this equipment and the buit-in level is fairly useful.

I am almost 6' tall and this provides adequate height even for birds in flight.

May 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GeneO to your Buddy List
jb_va2001

Registered: May 12, 2004
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, rugged, quick to set up and use. I prefer twist locks to snaps on other brands.
Cons:
Expensive.

I have the similar G1325. These Gitzo's are a pleasure to use. Top quality, & rock solid. A little pricey. I prefer the twist locks to snaps on other brands.

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jb_va2001 to your Buddy List
mrogers

Registered: Sep 28, 2004
Review Date: Oct 7, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $450.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, Stong and Stable
Cons:
Twist Locks are a pain...

Coupled with a Wimberley Head, I use a 600mm f4 Lens on it, it's one of my smarter acquisitions, no complaints just praise!

Oct 7, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mrogers to your Buddy List
Yeti Man

Registered: Jan 7, 2003
Review Date: Jun 6, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very rigid, easy to carry
Cons:
Again, don't over tighted the legs, and i still sometimes wish it were taller.

I have mainly used mine under a 300 f2.8L and a Kirk BH1 ball head.

I found noticable improvement in sharpness of my pictures, especially when using teleconverters, over my Bogen 3221 (and it weighs nearly two pounds less !).

I am only 5'6", and while i thought this pod was huge when i got it, i sometimes still wish the legset were a bit taller (to eliminate raising the column).

I find the column to be quite good, but rarely extend it over half was as with 13 lbs of camera / lens / ballhead on top, the whole rig tips much more easily.

Overall i am extremely satisfied with it, and would buy one again tomarrow if something happened to it.

Jun 6, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Yeti Man to your Buddy List
Stan Richards

Registered: Oct 25, 2002
Review Date: Mar 31, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, solid construction, rock steady, looks great.
Cons:
Do not overtighten fittings, its not necessary and will make adjustments difficult.

I needed a solid tripod for my D60 and 70-200 mm f2.8 lens. I purchased a Kirk B-2 ball head and this Gitzo 1327 tripod and had immediate improvements in photo sharpness. The carbon fiber construction makes toting around very agreeable. Adjustments down to nearly ground level are possible with the selectable stops. I find adjustments to be fast and solid, with just a minimum of tightness applied to the locks. Don't overtighten or you can lock up the leg. The carbon fiber construction will not be damaged by water immersion of the legs but be aware that water that does seep into the legs may lock.a pair of tubes until completely dried out. This happened to one of my tubes, and may be related to tube to tube tolerences. I had a problem for several weeks with a stiff tube, but eventually it went back to normal and I am just more careful in placement in wet settings.

Mar 31, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Stan Richards to your Buddy List

Gitzo G1327 Mountaineer Mk2 Carbon Fiber