Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 Tripod Legs

47 97190 Apr 24, 2010
product_83

Maximum Height 73.0" (185.4 cm)
Maximum HT. w/o Column Extended 57.0" (144.8 cm)
Minimum Height 8.3" (21.1 cm)
Folded Length 29.5" (74.9 cm)
Load Capacity 11.00 lb (4.99 kg)
Leg Sections 3
Weight 6.60 lb (2.99 kg)

radiodenver

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: May 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Versatile and very configurable.
Cons:
Heavy

I have the BPro version. A solid tripod, but not for big lenses. Can get a little tiresome lugging this one around but not a back breaker. If I'm hiking, I'll leave it at home and take something lighter. It works good with my pistol grip.

A 500mm lense is hit or miss depending on the wind, anything smaller and it stays stable.

May 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add radiodenver to your Buddy List
henris

Registered: Jun 19, 2005
Review Date: Apr 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: bulletproof, sturdy, versatile
Cons:
heavy

Excellent tripod. Highly recommended!

Apr 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add henris to your Buddy List
Ernnez

Registered: Jun 17, 2005
Review Date: Apr 20, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $179.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Strong, sturdy.
Cons:
bit heavy carried by hand but not bad in carrying case w/shoulder strap (found a black case at Ritz Camera for only $8.00).

Apr 20, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Ernnez to your Buddy List
sivrajbm

Registered: Mar 15, 2005
Review Date: Feb 12, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Strong and sturdy piece of equipment. Quick adjustments, fully adjustable legs.
Cons:
nada

I bought the BPRO model after a near tragic episode with my toy tripod. I bought it with the 488RC4 head. I really like the stability of the combo. I'm 6ft tall and this combo puts my 20dw/grip at eye level, man I LOVE this thing.

Feb 12, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sivrajbm to your Buddy List
Phillip_Shows

Registered: May 19, 2005
Review Date: Jan 27, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $145.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very solid. Great value for price.
Cons:
Little heavy but nothing one could not handle.

I got the BPRO version. With me being 5'7" the height is great. Very well built.

Jan 27, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Phillip_Shows to your Buddy List
studio56

Registered: Nov 13, 2005
Review Date: Dec 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $85.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: heavy and solid build.
Cons:
none.

i got this bogen tripod set in ebay for 85$ total, its the 3021 bogen legs w/ bogen 3220 head. watta deal!!! , best buy by far. the entire tripod is adjustable, all the locks are tight and firm. with many screws to tighten or adjusting. i tighten up all the screws before i use it, and its sooo solid and sturdy. to move it to your desire positions by smooth and firmly moves on this bogen, they sure know how to build tripods, best. i feel so secured with my cam mounted on it. strong build and heavy weigh. this tripod can extend in full over my head..and im 5'6". its way up there, mb 7 foot tall?..
highly recommended.

Dec 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add studio56 to your Buddy List

Review Date: Nov 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Well, durable for sure. I rarely post reviews as most everythings been said for most products, but here's a story.

I RAN MY 3021 OVER WITH MY CAR. Terrible weather was blowing in one late autumn day last year in the Sierras, I was getting cold and already starting to drizzle, those local may remember this October 04 storm as the early season 3ft+ snow dump everyone was surprised by. My wife was getting impatient in the car and I was shooting through the weather and loaded gear into the car, leaving my 3021 on the ground. Jumped in car. THUNK, partial-THUNK (that'd be the front tires) and I slammed the brakes and thought I grounded my tranny on a boulder!

There goes my 10yr old trusty 3021 I thought. To my surprise, the legs did not even bend, I busted a top swivel and one of the leg locks, and $30 in parts and some grease later, it's back in business. Now show me the carbon fiber pod that'll do that. I don't think much more needs to be said. If those parts were not cast they may have even survived.

Nov 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
malla1962

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Oct 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Superb tripod,built like a tank and at a good price.

Oct 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add malla1962 to your Buddy List
jmogl

Registered: Jul 14, 2005
Review Date: Aug 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: I did a lot of research on tripod legs. The carbon fiber were out of my price range, so I picked up a 3021 at the local camera shop. It has not let me down! I like the fact that I can look through the camera without extending the center column for additional stability. I was concerned about weight for our trip to Yosemite. I ended up strapping it to the side of our camera backpack with no problem. I barely noticed that it was there. I have a 484RC2 head which is fine except for no paning base. Not very helpful for panoramics, so the head will be upgraded soon.
Cons:
The only negative is weight, but that turned out not to be a serious issue.

Aug 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jmogl to your Buddy List
btjohnston

Registered: May 20, 2003
Review Date: Aug 11, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Solid construction, easily adjusted and set up.
Cons:
A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I needed a heavy tripod to dampen vibration for landscape work when hiking. Some have mentioned the weight, but I've hiked for days with this tripod and haven't really noticed it. It balances very nicely on my shoulder and is easy to carry.

The legs also extend to my eye level without having to extend the centre column which I like.

A hook on the bottom to attach a bungee cord for extra vibration suppression would have been nice, but in most cases the weight of the pod is enough on its own.

I use a manfrotto 322RC2 ball head with this tripod and together they are quite formidable. I bought enough quick release pads to cover all my camera bodies and the odd lens that has it's own tripod mount so mounting/remounting is easy.

I have the newer flip-lock design and haven't yet pinched my fingers. I do however, have to adjust the locks to ensure they are still holding the leg positions without slipping, but this is rare and a hex key is provided so it's a snap.

Aug 11, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add btjohnston to your Buddy List
Jman13

Registered: May 1, 2005
Review Date: Jun 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $145.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sturdy and well built, horizontally mountable center column is very useful in certain situations, sets up quickly
Cons:
Short column adapter could be more stable.

I have the 3021BPro version of these legs, with the side mountable column. These legs are quite good considering the price. With the 488RC2 ballhead I have on it, the camera is eye level for landscape orientation for me without extending the centerpost, and I'm almost 6' tall. Portrait orientation makes me stoop if I don't raise the center column at all.

This tripod is very sturdy, and keeps the camera darn stable. In snow, it will flex a bit, but I haven't purchased the optional spike feet which would solve that problem. The flip locks are very easy to use, and make setup a breeze. (I must have a newer flip lock design than some because I've never pinched a finger like some have reported).

The sideways mountable column has come in very handy on several occasions, allowing me to use my tripod in a wide angle shot extending over a fence so the fence wasn't in the shot, for a 1/2 sec exposure, plus on lots of macro setups, where the ability to boom the camera is very useful. You do have to be careful when using the column mounted sideways, though, as it becomes pretty vibration prone with the camera cantilevered out that far.

The only real issue I have is when removing the bottom of the center column (for low to the ground shots), the clamp that secures the post can't grip the bottom of the short column, so there's a slight loss of stability. If you are using light lenses, this isn't a problem, but it could make shooting low to the ground with a heavy lens a problem for slow shutter speeds.

Overall, this is a very sturdy and well built tripod, and is an excellent performer given its price class.

Jun 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Jman13 to your Buddy List
Muzz

Registered: Apr 20, 2005
Review Date: May 9, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Tall, Sturdy, Well built, spirit level, Made in Italy and more versatile than a swiss army knife.
Cons:
A bit heavy however if you want something as good as this you should expect it to be a little bulked up.

I bought this here in the UK from the high street and over here its called the 055 Pro.

Its a fanstastic piece of kit that is very versatile and can be adapted to suit the criteria of what you are taking photos off.

The legs can be changed to 4 differnet angles and they have snap lock systems so you can be unpacked and repacked in seconds meaning more time to enjoy the photography.

I have seen other cheaper alternatives and they were very poorly made. We all spend so much money on this hobby it doesnt make sense skimping on something that you are going to stick all this kit on.

A strong wind and a poor tripod will end in tears.

With this tripod I am smiling and will be smiling for a long while yet.

May 9, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Muzz to your Buddy List
Trout Guy

Registered: Feb 5, 2005
Review Date: Apr 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very well built..solid. Easy to use non-pinching lever locks; fast to set-up and use. Center column becomes a horizontal column for low level work.
Cons:

I have the 3021 BPRO model with the 486 ball head and RC2 QR plate. Purchased at Memphis Photo, Memphis, TN at a price competitive to on-line pricing.

The heaviest I've had on it is a 20D/400 5.6L combo but it is superb and I wouldn't hesitate to use heavier gear with it and I will someday soon :-)

Apr 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Trout Guy to your Buddy List
B. Clemens

Registered: Dec 27, 2004
Review Date: Apr 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $200.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very solid and ultra adjustable. The construction is straight forward and couldn't be anything but reliable - socket head cap screws...The dealer (long time one) carries parts for the Manfrotto by Bogen. Parts!
Cons:
The consideration of weight must be second to rigidity. The trade-off is well justified since this tripod is solidly built. Hikes OK; runs, better be in good shape.

This tripod giggles at shutter flop/camera shake in this 20D. The use of a cheap tripod (I learned the hard way) will frustrate, exasperate, and cause one to kick the cat. The Manfrotto low profile three way head (3410 or 329) is what we are using with it. We like it, but then what was I using!

The head leaves a bit to be desired but, we can always upgrade to a ball. I'll give this combination an 8.5 overall.

The camera shop in Williamsburg, VA gave us a fantastic price on this combination. Those folks are the best!

Thanks much yall,
Bill Clemens

Apr 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add B. Clemens to your Buddy List
iGary

Registered: Jun 24, 2004
Review Date: Mar 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $140.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: The M1 Tank of tripods - sturdy, strong, excellent construction, solid components.
Cons:
All the above comes at a price - it's a bit heavy. Make sure you have a sack or strap for it.

This is an excellent all-around tripod, although a little heavy - but it is built like a tank.

The construction is impeccable, all ot the components are beautiful and the operation is easy, and smooth.

Mar 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add iGary to your Buddy List
Digital Matt

Registered: Aug 6, 2004
Review Date: Feb 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $138.13 | Rating: 10

Pros: Rugged, tall, sturdy, very adjustable, even for low to the ground shooting.
Cons:

These are a great set of legs. I'm confident when I set $2000 + on top of these legs, that it will be safe. They are very adjustable and great for outdoors, landscape, cityscape, whatever. I can get very low to the ground, or very high, over my head, and everywhere in between. The center post is removable and can be mounted sideways for shooting down over things. Just a very versatile set of legs.

Anyone who complains that these are too heavy for hiking needs to get in shape. I had a heart transplant 7 years ago and I hike with these legs combined with a 3265 Grip Action Ball Head, a 300D, 20D, 70-200 f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 17-35mm, up and down hills, mountains, you name it. If I can manage, so can you. Hiking isn't supposed to be easy.

Feb 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Digital Matt to your Buddy List

Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 Tripod Legs