Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

380 810725 Sep 24, 2013
ef70_200_4_1_

High-performance, L-series telephoto zoom lens combining light weight and compactness with an f/4 maximum aperture. Inner focusing and the ring USM enable quick and quiet autofocusing. Also, a circular polarizing filter can be attached and used without difficulty because the front lens element does not rotate during focusing. The tripod collar (sold separately) is the same one used with the EF 300mm f/4L USM.

Matt Clarke

Registered: Dec 18, 2006
Review Date: Dec 18, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Lightweight. Sharp images. Great contrast and colour saturation. It does what I expect of it.
Cons:

I got this lens a few days ago after taking back a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 apo.

This piece of L glass, works superbly compared to the Sigma.

The images are sharp. There is no chromatic aberration, and it weighs a lot less than the Sigma.

The only downside is the price. Over here in the United Kingdom, we pay through the nose for luxury items, and Canon L glass is no exception.

Worth every penny though Smile

Dec 18, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Matt Clarke to your Buddy List
Indy Iskandar

Registered: Nov 30, 2006
Review Date: Nov 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Not too heavy, fast AF, sharp photos, excellent colors & affordable price.
Cons:
Hood, no tripod mount

I'm the first timer w/ DSLR after jump up from point and shoot camera. I relly want to have other lens besides my 18-55 kit lens.

So I got a lot of good review about lens from Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Canon 28-135 w/ IS and 70-200 f/4L USM.

All of those choices make me confused, which one I have to pick for my general purpose lens. So I went to local store and they asked me to try this lens. They promised if I don't like it just return/ exchange it.

Finally.. it's been 3 months now and I really satisfied w/ the results, very sharp pictures,colors & contrast. The lens is not too heavy too carry around the neck and lens build is very tough/ like a tank, anyway I've been using it w/ my Rebel XTi.

I was kind a worried about back focusing but those salesman said if it's happen the problem is not from the lens, most of times from the camera. And I never had problem w/ both.

I like the smooth bokeh I got with it. It's really great for portraits, candids and landscape too. The white color sometimes made people look back and you felt great that you are serious w/ photography.

I highly recommended for this lens, honestly I paid for $600 w/ $35 mail in rebate and also got $160 instant saving from them. Pretty cheap hah! What a good deal!!!
Are there anybody got a cheaper price than me...

Nov 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Indy Iskandar to your Buddy List
mariusz kruk

Registered: Nov 25, 2006
Location: Poland
Review Date: Nov 25, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: quality, image, affordable price
Cons:
no ideal lens exist,

I feel obliged to write a review to help those who look for opinion on equipment. This forum was very helpful for my choices.
Regarding the lens: You can consider a thing ideal only while aware of its objective limitations and its purpose.
This lens is great for the purpose I bought it. My purpose is to make beautiful photos of my children with a glass capable to make portraits from the distance not distracting the children with my presence. They are in constant motion, so you need quite good light to capture them properly with 4.0 glass, unfortuantely IS will not be helpful. I actually considered 70-200/2.8 or 80-200/2.8, but they are too heavy to carry it around during a family trip.
pros: Colour, sharpness, zooming accuracy and speed are perfect. No pictures out of focus. After buying this lens only you will be guilty for the poor quality of your photos.
cons: needs good light for moving objects, not very usable in poor light,
too big/heavy
as you see cons are determined by objective factors, so I do not complain about it, and rate the lens high

Nov 25, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mariusz kruk to your Buddy List
DGriswell

Registered: Nov 6, 2006
Review Date: Nov 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Built like a tank, fast AF, sharp photos, great colors.
Cons:
Ugly lens hood, no tripod mount, WHITE!!

First the good:

Since purchase, I have had no problems with the lens whatsoever. It appears to be sturdier than most lenses on the consumer market, and that is a big bonus for nature photographers!

The F4 might be a bit slow for people shooting in low light, but for outdoor work, this lens shines every time. Colors are lovely, DOF is magnificent....your subject literally "jumps" out of the photo!

Now the bad:

The lens hood is butt-ugly. It looks like an afterthought (or worse, an after-MARKET item) that Canon put no imagination or time into designing. If you are going to make a white lens, and mark it "L" series, make the lens hood look nice....this looks like someone put a Ford Pinto hood on the front of a Corvette!

Finally, if you spend $500 or more on a lens, Canon should realy have sprung for the tripod mount. C'mon Canon, it's a piece of heavy plastic with a metal ring inside...THROW IT IN! Why should I pay another $150 just to secure my lens on a tripod. How cheap.

Nov 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add DGriswell to your Buddy List
radiodenver

Registered: Apr 4, 2006
Review Date: Nov 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Inexpensive, Sharp, Solid
Cons:

A perfect general purpose medium telephoto lens. Built like a rock, sturdy, light and handles well. Autofocus is fast and accurate.
For the money, this is as good as it gets. Full frame performance is excellent.

Nov 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add radiodenver to your Buddy List
gbrdnl

Registered: Aug 14, 2005
Review Date: Nov 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: very sharp on all FL, cheap to be a L series, light, good construction
Cons:

At first I experienced backfocus problem with more than one lens (thanks to my local reseller for the exchange). Then I sent the lens to Canon Service with my camera: but the problem was on the camera - EOS 30D. The lens was OK.

Now it works beautifully!

Highly Recomended

Nov 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add gbrdnl to your Buddy List
softball29

Registered: Oct 26, 2006
Review Date: Oct 26, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, crisp photos, focus is dead on, solid build and quiet, very sharp.
Cons:

This was my first L series lens and I got it about a month ago. It is a fantastic lens and I've used it for a lot of things, including a lot of outdoor sports (football, soccer etc.)

The only complaint I have is that it sometimes focuses on the wrong subject I am shooting. But I'll be able to overcome that in time, I'm sure.

Photos are excellent quality and great colors. As I've learned the lens more, I've been so amazed at what the lens can help produce. I'm sure as I keep learning it, things will continue to get better.

This is a lens I would highly recommend!

Oct 26, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add softball29 to your Buddy List
niimo

Registered: Jul 24, 2006
Review Date: Oct 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $585.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Very solid lens, quiet focus, produces great saturation, and surprisingly sharp even at 200mm f/4.
Cons:
Sometimes focus is not as fast as I'd like, but I don't have much to compare it to. There really isn't any big cons I can think of. I don't care about in not coming with a ring mount because I never really use it with a tripod.

My first L lens and actually my first lens of my own, period. Truth is I have considered selling it. Only because I really want a wide angle. However, I could not bring myself to sell it. Why? It is just a lens I would not want to part with. I would rather wait and purchase a wide angle later. This is such a handy lens and a QUALITY lens. Light enough to take it wherever you go (as long as there is light), no tripod needed.

One of my favorite things about the lens to is the fantastic smooth bokeh you can achieve with it. Amazing bokeh, great potential for portraits or candid shots at special events if you like to be stand-offish. I often like to be in the crowd, thus the desire for a wide angle. Still, this lens has it's place in my bag.

Sample images:

Oct 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add niimo to your Buddy List
mimir

Registered: Nov 30, 2005
Review Date: Oct 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight, sturdy, white :)
Cons:
None what so ever!

As it is my first L I am having the best time with it!
wide open it's crisp and clear, @ 200mm it's also delivering perfect results.
It's a nice upgrade from the 70-210 f/4 that I had.

Oct 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mimir to your Buddy List
DoubleD

Registered: Oct 26, 2005
Review Date: Oct 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: L series build, USM (quiet), relatively fast aperture, comes with hood, colours are saturated.
Cons:
Overlooked L series, No IS (but reflected in price), no tripod collar included.

One of my favourite lenses, Pretty flexible in its aplication too; If you don't need 2.8 then get this lens as it is lightweight, built very well and comes with hood.

Images come out well saturated (no use of a polariser needed just work in ACR). Very little sharpening needed as sharp throughout the range.

If it is a toss up between this and the 70-300mm IS, I like to think of it like 'Steak'

Fillet (70-200 L): Better quality (image), smaller in size (range), thicker (heavier), more expensive.

Sirloin (70-300 IS): Larger in size (range), less quality (image), less expensive.

Ask yourself which Steak you prefer and you may see that the two correlate Wink Then again it is all about how you cook the steak/take your photographs!!

Images: well some of my favourite images have been taken with this lens on a variety subjects:

Macro-ish:

Wildlife:

Motorsport: (although a little on the short side (taken at Silverstone))

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidprior/169467952/ (cropped to near 100%)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidprior/169467948/ (cropped to near 100%)

Sport:

Oct 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add DoubleD to your Buddy List
svx94

Registered: Mar 25, 2005
Review Date: Oct 8, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Perfect to its specification. Light, easy to handle, Sharpest lens at wide open I've used.
Cons:
I know what I don't get when I buy (F2.8, IS, etc.), but can't complaint, can I ? :)

I am rating this lens from amateur point of view.

I bought and sold many lenses in the 75-300 range, IS or none-IS. I didn't keep any of them because I found myself a "wide" person, using wide/ultra wide more often.

After I use the 50mm/1.8 Mark I and 50/1.4 as portrait lens for a while, I am more into this type of shooting, and decide to get a 70-200mm lens. I got a Tamron 70-210mm/F2.8 and this lens. The F2.8 lens is just too heavy to handle, and I found the bokeh on the F4 is about as good, so I sold the F2.8.

Back to this lens. I did a brickwall test, and was so impressed that at F4, this lens delivered about the same sharpness as F8. You can tell me that my F8 is soft, but I only care about F4 since it is one of my portrait lens Smile

Color, contrast, AF speed, build quality is what I expect from a L lens. I owned a 24-105L before that, and was not so impressed about its IQ, and the lens hood on 24-105L seems loose to me.

I used it on my relative's wedding and some candid shots during my business trip. Here are some examples:

Because it doesn't have IS, shanking is number one problem. I have to use 1/250s or faster most of the time. When shooting indoor, I do use fill flash. The candid shots I posted was taken on a double decker tour bus while it was moving. I used ISO 400 and F4, it seems most of my shots are not shaky. This lens is light enough, I can use it without tripod most of the time.

I can't complaint about facts that is not in the specification, like IS, F2.8... To me, this lens does exactly what I expected, so I give it a 10.

Oct 8, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add svx94 to your Buddy List
Chubbs

Registered: Nov 14, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build, very fast and quiet, and of course outstanding quailty shots.
Cons:

I have recenty received this lens having bought it largely as a result of reading the reivews here. I am really impressed with the speed and quietness. The quality of the shots are also truly outstanding. Unfortunately as with others here I may be spoiled for future purchases and will only want L glass from now on

Oct 6, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chubbs to your Buddy List
Zoeysmom

Registered: Jul 18, 2006
Review Date: Oct 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, weight
Cons:
none so far

First piece of L glass that I have owned. It beats any other lens I have so far. Sharp as a tack, very light weight for it's range. Images are still good even at f/4.

Oct 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Zoeysmom to your Buddy List
Joost Assink

Registered: Apr 15, 2006
Review Date: Oct 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, saturation, Fast ring-type AF, build
Cons:
none!

I got this after I returned my 70-300 IS 4-5.6 because of the portrait problem. I was afraid I would miss the 100mm on the tele end when I got this, but I never did. The IS would've been nice (and that's available now) but I can do without.

This lens is just amazing. The feeling of having something so solid, fast and just good is wonderful, knowing you have something great. This is what a lens should be: sharp, great IQ, fast AF, excellent build and great value for money. Everyone should have this lens. I would not consider the 70-200 2.8 simply because of the size and weight, especially now that the IS version of the 70-200 4L has come on the market, which will give me 4 stops. I know IS will not freeze action, but the single stop from 4 to 2.8 probably won't either on most cases.

Oct 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Joost Assink to your Buddy List
Radeon-888

Registered: Oct 9, 2005
Review Date: Oct 1, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lens is fast, light, small, built like military aperatus but mosyt important is tack sharp.
Cons:
Cheap looking and feeling hood

This is easily my favourite lens. I bought a 17-40L after using this lens because I was so impressed. For the money, it cannot be beat. This is my first forray into L glass and it got me hooked. I cant go back to consumer zooms now, IM now spoiled. Go rent one for a few days, you too will believe.

Oct 1, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Radeon-888 to your Buddy List
Justin D

Registered: Sep 8, 2006
Review Date: Sep 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, fast autofocus, price
Cons:
Too big to fit in lens pocket of my Orion Trekker II. It's use is somewhat limited (to daylight), but there are other, significantly more expensive lenses that are faster.

This lens is seriously impressive. My first L lens and all I can say is I'm going to buy more. It is sharper than my manual focus primes (when I hit the mark with them, that is) and contrast, colour and background separation are light years ahead. It is probably sharper than my 50mm canon prime, too. My Zeiss 135mm 2.8 will stay with me - it can take lovely pictures and is quite small - but this lens makes me think twice about assuming that zooms are for convenience and primes are for quality.
About the only thing my primes have over this is speed, but I bought this with full knowledge that an IS version was coming out and that it's usefulness is probably limited to daylight shooting. I have yet to use it with a polariser, but from what I shot, I expect it will be fine. A hell of a lens for everyday daylight shooting. I simply can't imagine better, though I know there is better.

Sep 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Justin D to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM