Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

380 821118 Sep 24, 2013
ef70_200_4_1_

High-performance, L-series telephoto zoom lens combining light weight and compactness with an f/4 maximum aperture. Inner focusing and the ring USM enable quick and quiet autofocusing. Also, a circular polarizing filter can be attached and used without difficulty because the front lens element does not rotate during focusing. The tripod collar (sold separately) is the same one used with the EF 300mm f/4L USM.

sendjo

Registered: Feb 23, 2008
Location: Croatia
Review Date: Feb 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ, constant f4, lightweight, sharp, price...
Cons:
none if you know what you buying..

Good tele zoom for every serious amateur.. can`t find any weakness on this lens. If you don`t need constant f2.8 or image stabilization - go for it, you can`t miss with this one!

Feb 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add sendjo to your Buddy List
performant

Registered: Feb 17, 2008
Review Date: Feb 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: build & image quality, solid, (relatively) light, compatible w/ extenders
Cons:
only f4, draws a little attention (white colour), no collar

Feb 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add performant to your Buddy List
Kanon Kid

Registered: Feb 18, 2008
Review Date: Feb 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: IQ IQ IQ, USM, FTM, oh and price--a BARGAIN- some consumer lenses are much more expensive.
Cons:
its kind of big and heavy, white, not 300mm, no tripod collar but you dont truly need one. also some may have a backfocusing issue...

great lens, good color, contrast, IQ, just it attracts ALOT of attention and its a beast. Too big for my liking tho, but great otherwise. Build quality good, especially that it doesnt extend.

Feb 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kanon Kid to your Buddy List
CanadianJames

Registered: Jan 22, 2008
Review Date: Jan 22, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, SHARP!!!! Build quality is excellent. I LOVE this lens.
Cons:
Makes me want to blow the bank account on more L glass

This lens was a last minute purchase for me just before I left on a 1 month trip to Africa. Frankly, I don't know what I would have done without it. My first impression was that it was an 'ok' lens. The build quality was excellent, and it was very well reviewed. (I learned to listen to the reviews on this website when I wasted my money on the EFS 17-85 IS.)

When I got it out into the savanna, I was a little bit disappointed with the focal length. I immediately started wishing I had bought the 70-300. Nevertheless, the focal length grew on me and I just had to creep the truck a little bit closer to the animals to get the shot that I wanted.

It wasn't until the first evening when I was tucked away in my tent and uploaded the days shots onto my Macbook. I WAS BLOWN AWAY by the quality of the shots I had taken. VERY IMPRESSED!!! This is going to easily replace my busted EF 70-200 and I shall never look back!

This is the first L series lens I have added to my collection and after what I've seen, I WANT MORE. The two lenses I used the most on my trip was this one and the EFS 17-85 IS (don't buy it). There is absolutely no comparison with quality.

BUY THIS LENS!!!

Jan 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add CanadianJames to your Buddy List
roberto1979

Registered: Dec 29, 2006
Review Date: Jan 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $375.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, weight, AF, price
Cons:
It's not a 16-600mm f/1.8 IS?

As a landscaper I have fallen in love with all these amazing f/4 lenses Canon has. They're in a sweet spot of price/weight/quality that absolutely no one else can match. The build on this lens is great, it focuses very quickly, and the image quality is out of this world. I recently shot a 6 shot panorama with this and the 5D that I printed 24x72. The detail is almost scary. Buy this lens!

Jan 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add roberto1979 to your Buddy List
SADIK BAYDERE

Registered: Jun 21, 2007
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Jan 14, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Examplary performance for the price paid, L class quality, good IQ and AF, amazing results with nice DOF for detail close-up, zoomed lanscape and even portrait shots, a real light and colour picker, non-rotating inner focusing enables attaching filters, very sharp results with amazing colours and contrast ...
Cons:
None at all ...

When heard in the past of one saying "I am in love with this lens", I was finding it amusing and thinking how one could fell in love with a lens !..

Yes, I now know that it is possible; so I am in love too with this fantastic lens.

One of the best products of Canon in terms of price-performance, in my opinion. It complements my 17-40 f/4 L and 50 f/1.8 I so that I have not yet felt a real need for another lens as a serious amateur; maybe a macro in the future but not necessarily, with 70-200 at hand Wink

Just a note; with a 67-77 step up ring, I use my B+W circular polariser on both 17-40 and 70-200 when needed which is quite handy too.

Would recommend without hesitation ...

Jan 14, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add SADIK BAYDERE to your Buddy List
bluefox9er

Registered: May 10, 2007
Review Date: Jan 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight (relativley), awsome picture quality..
Cons:
none..apart from ugly colour!!

well, this lens..what more to say? Absloutley pin sharp on my canon 400d, and really does make the most of the crop sensor with good results..

the gallery here http://www.flickr.com/photos/dipak49ers/sets/72157602470636767/
was shot using this lens 90% of the time.

Despite the crop sensor, this remains on my camera 99% of the time...it is simply fantastic on so many many levels. I was torn between this and the 70-300 mm IS as I wanted IS and a longer reach, but decided to pay more for this one as the image quality for me is so much better..and after cropping, well...it works for me :-)

buy this lens if you are in 2 minds...maybe someday I might be able to afford the 2.8 IS version..but for now,this is the most fun I have had with my canon 400d .

The only negative for me is that being in the Uk we pay so much more than the rest of the world for gear like this...be assured next time I buy gear i'll do so when I am in the states!

Jan 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bluefox9er to your Buddy List
Aaron Fuchs

Registered: Jan 12, 2008
Review Date: Jan 12, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, built quality, L-lens without L-price
Cons:
not f2.8 or f2 or f1.4 or ...

it's a classic and still a great lens

Jan 12, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aaron Fuchs to your Buddy List
smarinic

Registered: Jan 9, 2005
Location: Slovenia
Review Date: Dec 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build quality, L glass for non-L price, sharpness from f4
Cons:
none at all

Excellent optics, build quality, works great on D30

Dec 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add smarinic to your Buddy List
aladyforty

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Review Date: Dec 21, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: light, super sharp, cheap for an L lens. Very little degradation with the 1X4 TC attached.
Cons:

Love this lens, my most used lens. I dont miss IS at all as Ive never had it. I get wonderful sharp images from it. Worth every cent

Dec 21, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aladyforty to your Buddy List
Spam Lover

Registered: Nov 10, 2007
Review Date: Dec 17, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $495.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Relatively light, fast & quiet AF, sturdy build quality, beautiful colour & contrast, sharp, sharp, sharp! Professional white colour. Great intro to L lenses.
Cons:
Conspicuous white colour.

Give this baby good light and you'll keep almost every picture. The sharpness/colour/contrast coupled with the lens's AF speed and accuracy make this one of Canon's best pro-sumer lenses ever. The bokeh is so creamy and the clarity & colour so vivid the subject just pops out of the picture so easily. Get the 1.4 extender and it's an even better outdoor lens.

I can shoot without IS rather well now so I saved a lot of money!

I just upgraded to the 2.8 non-IS version so we'll see how that goes.

Dec 17, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Spam Lover to your Buddy List
PJ Fish

Registered: Nov 24, 2006
Review Date: Dec 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: For a couple of years before i got >rich> i used this item with a 17-40 L on the famed Canon 10D body,recently i saw my old files and was choked to see how good this pearl is.The pic this Lens make is very good and sharp and the contrast and bokeh is equal or better than the Big Bro 70-200 F2,8 ! simply great.
Cons:
I cant find any for the price paid. weathersealing perhaps? IS?

Need i say more about this wonderfull Canon glass? it is so fine a product and of finest quality so its really high-end for a low end price,i have compared this w its bigger brother(the F2,8) and find the pics from the smaller F4 as good and sometimes better ! and lifelike bokeh which is awesome and good on my sample.
I think this Canon product is a hit and understand perfectly why Canon has put on the stabilizer( IS) and WS on this golden butter product.

The Canon 70-200 F is Absolutely recomandable.Period.

I still use it for travel and serious PJ work when i travel light.Paired with a 17-40L and Canons 5omm glass or 35 mm glass and a good cam like the Canon 5 D or the 40 D,this combo seems perfect.

Dec 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add PJ Fish to your Buddy List
Steelsky

Registered: Nov 30, 2007
Review Date: Nov 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Soo well built, no rotating front element or extending with zoom etc - fantasticly sharp in good light.
Cons:
Low light (even outside) performance isnt as good as I was hoping. On a 400D it feels a little long - but Im so happy with the image quality Ill persist until Im used to the length.

I went with the reviews on this lens - the current canon cash backs (70) really persuaded me to purchase, it was now or never. I really dont regret it - give this lens what it needs and the image quality is stunning.

Bought it from 7dayshop.com - took a day longer than expected but all here safe and sound.
I wasnt sure what to expect with regards to weight - most reviews say its not heavy - but that has to be compared to what your used to. For me im coming from a standard 28-105 USM mk1 and it has to be said its a chunk longer and heavier. However, its not uncomfy to hold and shouldnt be a problem if your lugging it around in a back pack (like i will be).

Ive also read a few reviews stating the hood makes the cap impossible to get off sooo I got one of the following (and a reasnoble hoya filter for protection),

Its sooo cheap I thought it was worth a try - and bingo it works a treat. Just reach in nip it on or off etc. It also means if you loose it ya dont have to shell out for another official canon cap.

A couple of points to the lesser qualitys of this lens. Light level really does hold this lens back - I can see why IS is so appealing to others but it just wasnt possible on my current budget. I do find bursting 3-4 shots out at once usually secures a really nice image if I feel the need, or, raise the ISO which even at 400 with this lens really isnt so bad.
I have to say aswell that the USM is fast but my 28-105 focuses faster which i was surprised at.

Overall a stunning lens - I just hope I can get used to the length...
I dont regret this purchase in the slightest - I doubt you will either.

Nov 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steelsky to your Buddy List
jajone

Registered: Feb 2, 2006
Review Date: Nov 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros:
Cons:

Nov 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jajone to your Buddy List
kitiongi

Registered: Nov 27, 2005
Review Date: Oct 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Clarity/Build/and the Price!
Cons:
It's not a negative but the only downside to this is it is not weather sealed unlike the other L series.

Fast Auto Focus, build quality, light weight, the contrast, and excellent clarity.

The bokeh is very nice and smooth. Perfect for portraits or other product shots that needs blurring b.g.for creativity.

USM autofocus on this lens is fast, though not the fastest.
F/4 fast enough for outdoor sports.

A great feature is that everything zooms and focuses internally. Nothing extends or rotates, so there is no dust or moist sucked in and there's no zoom creep.

So if you are in the market for a 70-200 and if you can live with F/4, this lens is as go getter. There's nothing better in its class except the IS version, which is twice the price .

Oct 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add kitiongi to your Buddy List
GFerRo

Registered: Oct 25, 2007
Location: Brunei
Review Date: Oct 28, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Weight & Size good for travelling, Sharpness, Build, Hood Included, non-rotating front element when AF, and does not extend in zooming.
Cons:
Tripod collar not included, other than that, none at the price

I was deciding of either getting this or the IS version, as well as the f2.8 IS and non-IS version, and also the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, and after much researches, I finally got this to replace my Sigma 70-300mm.

The AF was fast and the focus is consistent.

The weight & size is nice for travelling compared to the f2.8

For photo sample of this lens, you can view it here:

Oct 28, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add GFerRo to your Buddy List

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM