Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

380 819850 Sep 24, 2013
ef70_200_4_1_

High-performance, L-series telephoto zoom lens combining light weight and compactness with an f/4 maximum aperture. Inner focusing and the ring USM enable quick and quiet autofocusing. Also, a circular polarizing filter can be attached and used without difficulty because the front lens element does not rotate during focusing. The tripod collar (sold separately) is the same one used with the EF 300mm f/4L USM.

scottsymonds

Registered: Aug 1, 2008
Review Date: Nov 20, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, light, (relatively) cheap
Cons:
I couldn't afford the IS version!

Brilliant lens!
Mine constantly amazes me when I get home and look at the photos. Sharp, great colour reproduction and fantastic bokeh at f4 and 200mm.

If I could only keep one lens, it'd be this one.

Nov 20, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add scottsymonds to your Buddy List
Abdullah M

Registered: Jul 10, 2008
Location: Saudi Arabia
Review Date: Sep 3, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $613.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: It's L class lens = good build quality, good optics, sharp images, quick AF, and it is light to hold all time.
Cons:
this zoom range (70-200) is not wide nor not tele, insufficient in low light situation..

I bought this lens last week (2300 SR) 613$.

It's very good zoom lens for bright light events, when you can use +1/250sec.

It's produce sharp images, sometimes better than my 50mm 1.8 prime, quick AF (it has ring USM) with full-time manual focusing.

It's good for lightweight and price.

I think there are 2 downsides in this lens:
-the zoom range is in middle ! not wide in 70mm and not tele in 200mm!
-because the lack of IS and fast aperture; this lens is insufficient in low light situation and it will force you to noisy ISOs!!

Sep 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Abdullah M to your Buddy List
Chuck Kuhn

Registered: Feb 24, 2003
Review Date: Aug 19, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $510.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, L glass, well made, inexpensive, sharp.
Cons:

I bought this lens over 2 yrs ago and it was my walk around lens. Traveled all over Vietnam, and most of Asia with this lens. It's weight is perfect for travel. I shoot mostly outdoors, people and sights, so f/4 is fine. The L Glass on this lens produces excellent photos. It was my first L. 24-100 L and 100-400 L came after. I will note that this lens was stolen w/ 5D and other lenses. So, I'll will repurchase the 70-200 L but in IS, since that is the newest in this series. Get this lens, if you can't afford the IS and shoot mostly outdoors.

Aug 19, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews View gallery Visit Homepage Add Chuck Kuhn to your Buddy List
Brendan Rouse

Registered: Sep 20, 2007
Review Date: Aug 17, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: build, IQ, sharpness, colour reproduction, weight, price
Cons:

If you can get away with F4 then buy this lens. I am very impressed with it.
I use it for outdoor sport and also portraiture.
I also have the 135L if I get stuck in low light so they would well together.
This lens produces A+ quality images.
Big plus also is the feather-like weight
Highly recommend especially if you cant afford the F2.8 version

Aug 17, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Brendan Rouse to your Buddy List
form

Registered: Dec 14, 2005
Review Date: Aug 3, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: $475.00

Pros: Fast autofocus
Cons:
Back focus problem, very soft at and near MFD @ 200mm

Very bad experience with this lens. I purchased used and received the lens in great, mint-like condition cosmetically. The problem is, it has a very distinct and consistent rear-focusing issue which, even if Canon could repair it, would cost me more than the difference between buying the amount I paid and buying a brand new lens with warranty.

Person who sold it to me magically disappeared after selling.

On the other hand, the focus is fast and the area in focus is generally quite sharp even wide open; but I rarely use my lenses past f/3.5 anymore and though I thought this would suffice until I could afford an f/2.8 telephoto zoom, it seems that it just isn't fast enough.

Aug 3, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add form to your Buddy List
arovane

Registered: May 20, 2008
Review Date: Jul 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: I Love this Lens, my copy is razorsharp @4.0. The USM is pretty fast and the build quality is perfect
Cons:
at poor light you are missing the IS :-(

Jul 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add arovane to your Buddy List
justinvl

Registered: Oct 16, 2006
Review Date: Jul 23, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Light-Weight, Sharp, L-Glass, good range
Cons:
f/4 not f/2.8 (duh), seeks in low light (expected), Tripod Collar not included

I picked this lens off an FM member here a few years ago who was upgrading the the 70-200 f/2.8 L IS. If I was to compare the two, I'd have to say they are quite different lenses for completely different people. The f/4 is light and small compared to it's big brother the f/2.8 IS - I'm sure the f/4 IS and f/2.8 live somewhere in-between. But for me, taking any zoomish shots mostly during the day or in well-lit auditoriums, I don't need the extra allowance of light the f/2.8 allows (I'm likely shooting at f/5.6 anyways).

I will say that the f/2.8 is a beautiful lens, and the things IS can do on it are wonderful - think carrying it around is heavy? So is a tripod. However, I still take many great and sharp shots with the f/4 at at least a third of the price. If you want this focal range, and are looking for some great glass but can't afford the big daddy in the zoom "trinity" then this is certainly a great lens for you.

Jul 23, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add justinvl to your Buddy List
Spock lonewolf

Registered: May 8, 2008
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: May 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Lightweight, sharp
Cons:
It is sometimes better to turn AF off in poor lighted areas.

Good lens you can take everywhere due to it's quite compact design and reasonable weight.

It's not as sharp as most of the prime lenses, but still sharp enough to be one of the best zoom lenses.

May 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Spock lonewolf to your Buddy List
adam613

Registered: Jan 17, 2008
Review Date: May 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $550.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Image quality, size, price, image quality, build quality, internal focus, internal zoom, takes a teleconverter well, and did I remember to mention how sharp it is?
Cons:
Doesn't include tripod collar. Makes images taken with other lenses look soft.

This lens is what really made me understand why people spend so much money on "better glass". Of all of the other lenses I've tried, the main difference was sharpness. This lens certainly doesn't disappoint in that category; it's tack-sharp at f/5.6, and better at f/4 than anything else I can afford. But I wasn't prepared for the better color reproduction or contrast that I got out.

I do a lot of landscapes, with aviation mixed in. As I usually like to do panoramas rather than use a wide-angle lens, the focal length is perfect for landscapes, and the image quality can't be beat. Photoshop actually does a more accurate job of stitching panoramas with this lens than it did with my old 70-300 IS, no doubt due to the sharpness. And since it has internal focus and internal zoom, it is a snap to use on a tripod with a circular polarizer (although it would be nice if it included a tripod collar).

I use a 1.4x TC with this lens for aviation photography. Such activity around here ideally needs at least a 300mm zoom, but the quality of this lens with a 1.4x TC rivals the 100-400 at shared focal lengths. So it will work just fine until I can afford something more ideal.

My only real complaint about this lens is the tendency to infect its users with "L Disease". I have a good copy of the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 as my walkaround lens, but somehow it just doesn't seem to measure up...

May 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add adam613 to your Buddy List
Anthony Hope

Registered: Dec 14, 2006
Review Date: Apr 22, 2008 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Very well built, weight and very cheap for an L.
Cons:
Not very sharp, poor AF especially in low contrast areas and low light.

Hello, I use this for landscapes and the AF is very annoying in low light or low contrast areas, I have to keep switching it manual as it just can't AF, all my other lenses have been fine, not sure if I've got a lemon though.

Its also not very sharp, especially when compared to the 17-40mm, 10-22mm and 85mm F1.8, but I suppose you get what you pay for and at 300 it may serve a purpose for some, but not if you make money from your photogrpahy.

I'm very disappointed in this lens, especially after all the rave reviews it has.

I'm going to give the F4 IS version a try, as it can't be twice the price for no reason.

Cheers

Anthony

www.hopesphotos.co.uk

Apr 22, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Anthony Hope to your Buddy List
M Nur Ihsan

Registered: Mar 28, 2007
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Apr 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Light weight, fast AF, silent, near AF range, great tele-lens range, great fix diafragma

Just bought several weeks ago, keep with my 30D
Before I just used Nikon, but this is different. This lens makes me migrate to Canon, with awesome range and great image result

No worried of become noise image with fix (F4) no IS is not a problem for me, as long as I can keep my hands still

Apr 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add M Nur Ihsan to your Buddy List
wayver

Registered: Apr 5, 2008
Review Date: Apr 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast, Light, inexpensive
Cons:
Could have made it in black.

This glass is super sharp, sharper then my 24-105L. It seems sharper than IS version. Reason I got it was for the price and non
IS, I use a monopod for my IS, IS on lens just makes it heaver in weight and price. I would recommend this lens to anybody.

Apr 5, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add wayver to your Buddy List
jimbo67

Registered: Mar 10, 2008
Review Date: Mar 10, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF, Lightweight, Sharp, Relatively inexpensive.
Cons:
Have to pay more for L series sharpness, that I can get with 300 dollar Sigma??

I am very pleased with the AF (married with my 20D)...quiet, fast, not much hunting even in low light. Absolutely spot on with respect to focus, perhaps a recent 20D firmware has resolved the back-focus issue?? It is sharp, but my Sigma 70-300mm F4/5.6 APO is very close in IQ at 350 dollars cheaper in price. It's unfortunate that I have to purchase an L series lens to get awesome IQ with a Canon lens, that other 3rd party manufacturers can offer at a much cheaper cost. I'm gonna keep them both...the macro on the Sigma is pretty darn good, and I can't let it go!! Don't get me wrong...the IQ of the Canon is still a bit better...maybe I lucked out with my Sigma...dunno??

Mar 10, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jimbo67 to your Buddy List
yohay

Registered: Mar 9, 2008
Location: Israel
Review Date: Mar 9, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: lightweight (relative), cheap (relative). fast, bulid quality and great preformance
Cons:
none.

really a great lens!
the bulid quality is perfect, and it's a very fast lens.
it's cheap relative to it's preforamnce, and also lightweight, again, it's relative. (750g).
I think that is one of the lenses that shows the highest value of money in the market.

Mar 9, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add yohay to your Buddy List
kumman

Registered: Sep 28, 2005
Location: Pakistan
Review Date: Mar 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: light
Cons:
none...

just bought the lens, love the colors, focusing is fast especially with the limited on 3m. Best thing is how light it is compared to the 2.8 versions, wouldnt mind carrying this around all day.

the only thing i dont like is the limited zoom range, for birds 200mm on a crop body isnt enough, for me, most of the time, a 100-400 would have worked much better i guess, but for the price its great.

at 200mm i expected some softness wide open compared to a stop or two down but from 100%crops theres not much difference that i can make out. The bigger issue is correct focusing at 200mm and my old XT doesnt seem to be doing a really good job at that.

If you can afford the IS version definitely get that, i couldn't so i got this...

Mar 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add kumman to your Buddy List
markarce

Registered: Mar 5, 2008
Review Date: Mar 5, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $731.25 | Rating: 10

Pros: It makes you smile when you use it. (if you have something better, then you are not looking at this comment)
Cons:
nothing really. everybody here uses white bodied lenses bigger than this which doesnt really make it stand out. my belly protrudes longer than this lens.

this is the culprit that introduced me to L's. just get one with confidence but first check out if it is a good copy.

if i canon would fulfill onewish from a 70-200 f4 owner, that would be to make it at least weather sealed. with that i'll be like rambo under the mud and this lens is my machine bazooka thing.

definitely recommended lens.