Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

380 815322 Sep 24, 2013
ef70_200_4_1_

High-performance, L-series telephoto zoom lens combining light weight and compactness with an f/4 maximum aperture. Inner focusing and the ring USM enable quick and quiet autofocusing. Also, a circular polarizing filter can be attached and used without difficulty because the front lens element does not rotate during focusing. The tripod collar (sold separately) is the same one used with the EF 300mm f/4L USM.

JohnJr

Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Review Date: May 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $569.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: quality construction.
Cons:
light but slightly long.

wow.
(no other words necessary)

May 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JohnJr to your Buddy List
davidlow

Registered: May 18, 2005
Review Date: May 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Fast, sharp
Cons:
Different version of lens?

I just got my copy of this lens from Amazon USA a week ago, with a US warranty, and so far it meets expectations in terms of speed and sharpness.

However, it is not white, but rather a sort of mlitary brown/grey color. And it is not all-metal, as others have posted. In particular, the section next to the mount is a plastic - you can see the molding seams.

It still has the red ring, though.

May 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add davidlow to your Buddy List
SheepDog

Registered: May 7, 2005
Review Date: May 17, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, Price, Construction, virtually everything about this lens
Cons:
I hope IS will become available on this lens in the near future

Cost only half of my 24-70 2.8L, but optical performance is identical. It feels so good in my hands; very light weight and a good size for my palm. I have tried other heavier L zooms, which give me sore arms the next morning. Construction is solid and like a little cannon (a Canon cannon). With internal zooming, there is no way any dust particle can get in my baby. Sweet~

Shooting portrait with this lens is another sweetest thing (on my old Elan 7 film body). Some might argue that f/4 doesn't give enough blur to the background, but I personally like the result.

I have only shot around 50 images with this lens after switching to a digital body, but I know for sure that it's the best tele-zoom out there. I am glad I got the biggest bargain... $650 for a L lens that matches 70-200/2.8L and my 24-70/2.8L in terms of optical performance. It's not as fast as those 2.8L lenses, but trust me on this, f/2.8 is useless in any regard. That's why I opt for a 4L this time, after owning a 24-70/2.8L.

If you are thinking of buying a tele-zoom lens, look no further. Try this one out before spending $1000~1200 on a 70-200/2.8L.

May 17, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add SheepDog to your Buddy List
mikaelwardhana

Registered: May 4, 2005
Review Date: May 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp!Very Sharp!Extremely Sharp! It is a head turning lens for it is white all over. Build quality is nice. Totally metal.Zoom and focusing mechanism are smooth. Light weight.
Cons:
Relatively slow at f/4. I would go for the f2.8 if i have the money. Very expensive tripod collar! damn! Price is expensive compared to the sigma.

I love this lens. It is super duper sharp in any aperture value or focal length. I have tested it thouroughly. But sadly it is only f4 lens. Not quite fast enough for my wedding work. I need that extra one stop f2.8 actually but i couldnt afford the canon 70-200 f2.8L. But im happy with this lens. I heard that the sigma 70-200 f2.8 is not bad as well for the same price. But if i hadto make another choice again, i would still pick this one!

May 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mikaelwardhana to your Buddy List
Mihai Grigore

Registered: Mar 14, 2004
Review Date: May 13, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: solid build quality, silent and fast focusing, sharp
Cons:
ring is ridiculously overpriced

I really like the build quality of this lens. Really nice is the full time manual focus.

Used it for portrait and really like how it performs. And it is amazing sharp !

Definitely WELL WORTH the money that I paid. Excellent value for the money!!

May 13, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mihai Grigore to your Buddy List
Mihai Grigore

Registered: Mar 14, 2004
Review Date: May 13, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $532.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, quiet and fast focusing
Cons:

May 13, 2005
wazafi

Registered: May 5, 2005
Review Date: May 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Image is crisp and clear. Very fast focussing. Silent
Cons:
Hood too big?

I almost cried (overjoy) when I see the image after downloading it on my laptop. The image is so beautifully sharp and clear. Now I know why the fuss over the "L" lenses. It makes an amateur (newbie class) like looks good.

I thought I am gonna regret getting this lens over the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 HSM (same price range). I know I lose one stop, but so far changing the ISO helps a bit in getting the necessary bokeh.

I am truly please w this lens. I still wanna to cry. The pic is so fantastic.

May 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add wazafi to your Buddy List
abam

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: May 5, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: bang for the buck. this lens does perform. very sharp, and great saturated colors. the short end is nice for portraits, and the long end is wonderful for getting people shots without disturbing the candid nature of the scene.
Cons:
tripod collar is absurdly priced. with F4, you will find yourself mounting this lens on a tripod. the lens is smaller than the IS or 2.8 versions, but it's still large enough to warrant the collar. the tripod collar adds 20 percent to the price of the lens! ...no weather sealing.

doesn't get a 10 because of a couple of issues...

1) the tripod collar. on a 1.6 field of view crop factor sensor, this lens is a little too long (and slow with F4) to get really sharp images if it's anything but sunny outside. thus, a tripod or monopod come into play. the lens is also a little bit too large to hang on a 350D for an extended amount of time if the whole rig is connected to the tri/monopod by the camera body's own tripod socket. thus (for me) the tripod collar becomes important to distribute the weight of the entire setup evenly when mounted to a tri/monopod. the tripod collar, a relatively simple clamp, isn't included with the lens, and is an exorbitant 130 euros (!!!) more. and so this 670 euro lens becomes in effect an 800 euro lens.

2) small nitpick...impossible to take the lens cap off - or put it back on again - without removing the lens hood. this isn't specific to just the 70-200L F4, but it still is something that i had hoped wouldn't continue into the L class of lenses.

if you're from europe and you find yourself on vacation in the USA or the far east, this is the time to buy the 70-200L F4. someone earning euros and spending dollars can get the 70-200L F4 for 430 euros, a 250 euro savings.

May 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add abam to your Buddy List
RCicala

Registered: Jan 8, 2005
Review Date: Apr 24, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $579.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Relatively light, awesome pictures, just awesome.
Cons:
None really (I don't have a white phobia)

This should be everyone's first L. Best price to bang ratio in the lineup. I find myself moving back so I can use this lens instead of something shorter. No IS, but I love the light weight - if IS made it heavier I'm not sure I'd want it. OK, I would, but still this lens is a great deal.

Apr 24, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add RCicala to your Buddy List
cyclejoc

Registered: Jul 14, 2002
Review Date: Apr 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $579.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light weight, fast, sharp, great background blur
Cons:
Tripod collar

Works very well with my Rebel XT. People do turn their heads to see the white lens.

Apr 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add cyclejoc to your Buddy List
I Simonius

Registered: Apr 22, 2005
Review Date: Apr 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: Sharp, brought a smile of satisfaction at a good purchase immediately from the first - you could pay more for the 2.8's extra stop but I didn't! (but deducted one point for this - can't help expecting more than I get)
Cons:
I prefer a black lens, this is more conspicuous- too conspicuous for me! One point deducted. Not water prooffed.

Not a lot to say apart from comments above except it does what I expected, didn't let me down like several of the other lenses I tried (10-22, 24L, 35mmf2) therefore I wasnt dissatisfied at all

Apr 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add I Simonius to your Buddy List
shoot_pictures

Registered: Jan 12, 2005
Review Date: Apr 15, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: White, price, size, lightweight, everything everyone else has mentioned.
Cons:
White, No tripod collar,

I previously purchased the Canon 75- 300mm IS lens and had that for about 2 months. After having several prtoblems with the focusing and sharpness I decided to save the extra money after reading this and I am very glad I did. The sharpness and focusing time is amazing even in dark situations. Feels very solid. If you are considering purchasing the 75-300 IS canon do not bother. Save your pennies and get one of these. You will never look back. You will need to purchase the colar as well. I wouldn't trust it on a tripod with out it. Read all the other reviews. Everyone will tell you how good this is.

Apr 15, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add shoot_pictures to your Buddy List
coachjohn

Registered: Oct 12, 2002
Review Date: Mar 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $684.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Value, sharpness, hand-holdability, color reproduction, contrast...perhaps the best value in the "L" series line of lenses.
Cons:
Somewhat slow (f/4), no IS.

If you're just starting out and want to have good glass in the short-to-medium telephoto range, start here. This is simply an amazing little piece of glass for the money; one of the sharpest zooms I have ever owned. Parted with it only because I had a need for the speed (f/2.8) and stability (IS) of it's big brother; and even then I mulled it over for a few days. A lens that will become a much sought after classic if Canon ever pulls it from the starting line-up.

Mar 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add coachjohn to your Buddy List
Dr D

Registered: Feb 22, 2005
Review Date: Mar 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast, light weight, white and optically superior to anything I've used before.
Cons:
No tripod collar included, no flower hood, no IS.

Bought 2nd hand recently of FM forums. I was lucky enough to get the lens with the elusive & pricy tripod collar.

For the PROS:
-> Excellent quality in both build & optics.
-> Light weight makes it an ideal travel telephoto (better than my old Sigma 70-200 f2.8)
-> Fast and quiet USM. The HSM of the Sigma sounds like a jack hammer in comparison.

For the CONS:
-> No flower hood. My old Canon 75-300 had a round conical hood like this lens. I would much prefer a flower hood instead.
-> No tripod collar bundled with the lens. A pricy OPTIONAL extra. To be fair, the lens is so light you could probably get away with it, but if it didn't need one, why build one?
-> No IS. Considering there is IS on consumer telephotos now i.e. 75-300 IS and 75-300 DO IS, it would make sense to put it on this lens.

Mar 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Dr D to your Buddy List
B_Lebsanft

Registered: Feb 26, 2005
Review Date: Mar 29, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, great contrast, nice bokeh, fast, internal focussing, price
Cons:

Mar 29, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add B_Lebsanft to your Buddy List
NL003498

Registered: Mar 16, 2005

Pros: This lens is sharp and light. For travelers this lens is the one to have in your bag.
Cons:
No tripot collar included.

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add NL003498 to your Buddy List