Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

380 817186 Sep 24, 2013
ef70_200_4_1_

High-performance, L-series telephoto zoom lens combining light weight and compactness with an f/4 maximum aperture. Inner focusing and the ring USM enable quick and quiet autofocusing. Also, a circular polarizing filter can be attached and used without difficulty because the front lens element does not rotate during focusing. The tripod collar (sold separately) is the same one used with the EF 300mm f/4L USM.

vwatts

Registered: Aug 21, 2005
Review Date: Aug 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $580.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP! SOLID! LIGHT!
Cons:
No tripod collar, but that's why it's cheap.

This lens stunned me over the past few days. After hearing about its so-called "backfocusing" issues, I was worried it might be "backfocusing" but I'm happy to say that when I focus on something, that something is always razor sharp on the photo. So I guess I have nothing to worry about. Either it's a "good copy" or I learned quickly how to use my system successfully. Being used to my 28-135mm IS, it took a while to get used to having no IS, but I guess that's good experience. It's a really light lens, almost as light as my 28-135mm IS. Too bad it doesn't include a tripod collar but considering the price compared to the f/2.8, it makes sense that the tripod collar is separate. Buy one, you won't regret it!

Aug 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add vwatts to your Buddy List
m3elmo

Registered: Aug 16, 2005
Location: United Arab Emirates
Review Date: Aug 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VERY sharp, FTM, USM, Sharp at even F4, lightweight compared to the F2.8 version. Good Value for $
Cons:
Reaching for more than F4, and that's it, everythign else is great

This has to be a 10 lens. It is sharp just like any other 70-200L lens. It's about 1/2 the weight of the 2.8 series which is a bonus if you lug it around all day. ALso at a price of around 500-600 bucks (1/2 of the 2.8) it's a great value. I say this is a very good first "L" glass. However I think most will sell it and jump to the 2.8.

Aug 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add m3elmo to your Buddy List
Sharkin

Registered: Feb 24, 2005
Review Date: Aug 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $520.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp glass with fast focus.
Cons:

An amazing lens at an amazing price.

This is an excellent lens to start your L glass collection with.

Aug 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sharkin to your Buddy List
jasonp1

Registered: Apr 13, 2005
Review Date: Aug 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 3

Pros: Build, focus speed.
Cons:
BAD BAD BAD Quality control, even after being sent in for calibration.

After reading tons of great reviews about this lens, I took the plunge and bought one. When I first took it out of the box, I thought it felt solid as a tank. Unfortunately, once I put it on my 20D and shot some pictures, I was completely unimpressed. Every single picture I took was badly back focused. I tried tripod mounted, handheld with faster shutter speeds, with my 550ex but nothing helped. So, I called canon. Interestingly enough, when I described the problem, they didn't seem a bit surprised. They just said to send it in to be calibrated. Well $14.00 later (shipping out of my pocket) it came back. With high hopes, I tried it again. It STILL has the same problem. Unfortunately for me, it was 2 days prior to going on a 6-week trip (that I was looking forward to using this lens) and didn't have time to send it in again. SO I'm stuck on my trip carrying around a $600.00 lens I can't use.
I called Canon and their response was to tell me to send it in again so they can do the same thing they did before. So when I return from my trip, I will have to spend another $14.00 to send it to them and HOPE they will do it right this time. Keep in mind; this will be a total of $28.00 negating the $25.00 rebate they offered. Quality Control is obviously a thing of the past. My other lenses; Tamron 28-75, Canon 60mm macro and even the lowly kit lens are all focusing nicely. One would think that an "L" would indicate a little more attention to Quality Control.
Canon, are you listening?

Aug 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add jasonp1 to your Buddy List
davwaym

Registered: Jun 3, 2005
Review Date: Aug 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $569.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light,fast AF, very sharp, feels very good on the camera and is quite comfortable to use for extended periods of time.
Cons:
infectious L lens....no real negs other than the hood feels a bit flimsy and I don't really like the 'felt' material inside the hood.

UPS delivered the lens last Friday evening and I have managed to shoot about 300 frames this weekend. Very impressive lens. Couple it with the 1.4x converter and you have an amazing combo. You just have to remember to use this lens as it was designed, ie, it is not a 2.8 and does not pretend to be.

Two thumbs up and yes I strongly recommend this glass.

Aug 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add davwaym to your Buddy List
Mark Holloway

Registered: Jul 28, 2005
Review Date: Jul 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Great contrast, punchy, saturated colours, fast, accurate focusing. Build quality is great.
Cons:
Big mistake I made was putting a 1A filter on it, which dropped the contrast SO much (?). Does it have to be SO white?

This is my first L lens & I am now addicted. The colours are great & it produces excellent pictures, even for an amateur like myself.

Jul 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mark Holloway to your Buddy List
desertimported

Registered: May 6, 2005
Review Date: Jul 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, great contrast and saturation, lightweight
Cons:
I won't say f/4 because you're an idiot to complain about it. You get what you pay for and this lens is fantastic.

I love this lens. It was the 1st lens I've bought (not counting the kit lens with the 20d) and right away I was floored by the quality of the images I was getting.

I primarily shoot automotive photography. Still shots of cars and panned action shots of motorsport are what I use it for the most, but it also gets some action as a portrait lens.

Sample Gallery of Auto Racing <- poor venue lighting, but with a 20d you can make do with ISO 1600.

Sample Gallery of Car Show

Sample Gallery of Portrait Shots

I've seen complaints on back focussing and sending it off multiple times to be replaced. I have a hunch this is user error. While it does hunt in low light, most of the back focus issues seem to occur when I didn't have ai servo, one-shot, ai focus, set properly to conditions I was shooting in, in addition to negligence of the switch on the lens itself to aid in faster focussing for closer/further subjects. There have been times the lens frustrated me with back focus, until I realized it was my mistake.

I don't have the budget for the 2.8 or 2.8 IS. I see myself using this lens for 2 or more years and I'm happy with that. The value is tremendous. If you are even remotely inclined to pick this lens up, don't hesitate.

Jul 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add desertimported to your Buddy List
JetwashImages

Registered: Jan 24, 2005
Review Date: Jul 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price,Build,Bokeh,Sharpness,Weight,Sharpness,Lens hood,Sharpness and last but not least, SHARPNESS.
Cons:

This lens is a dream. I also use the Canon 100-400mm which is also a great lens, but, when I dont need the reach, this is the lens I use because of how sharp it is. This is worth more more $$ IMHO. I highly recommend this glass.

Jul 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JetwashImages to your Buddy List
Toys6

Registered: Sep 17, 2003
Location: Austria
Review Date: Jul 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Weight, Contrast, Sharpness
Cons:
No tripod mount included

Same picture quality as 70-200/2.8IS :-)
Very good color und contrast compared to Sigma70-200/2.8EX
AF very fast
Lightwight
Build-quality excellent, but no weather-sealing
Tripod colar is very expensive :-(

Jul 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Toys6 to your Buddy List
aborr

Registered: Apr 19, 2005
Review Date: Jul 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $580.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, even wide open at 200mm. Well made. Weight and balance are ideal for handheld shooting with an EOS20D.
Cons:
Lens hood seems fragile.

I can shoot all day with this lens without tiring. I bought the separate tripod collar but haven't used it once. It balances nicely on the EOS 20D. Zoom and focus rings are right where they belong. I used to have to switch to a 300mm prime on my film camera to get the same reach and image quality. The 70-200f4 on an EOS20D is a lighter combination and handles better. I routinely violate the 'one over effective focal length' shutter speed rule and still get sharp pictures. which is something I could seldom get away with when using my film camera and 300mm.

It's by far the best value in the "L" lens line. There are times when I'd like to have the speed of the f2.8 version of this lens, but for me, giving up one f-stop in return for the savings in size and weight of the f4 lens was a good trade.

I haven't experienced any of the 'back focus' issues that some reviewers have reported. Autofocus is fast and precise.

Jul 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add aborr to your Buddy List
thedigitalbean

Registered: Jun 24, 2005
Review Date: Jul 19, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $595.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, amazing bokeh, colors, sharpness, internal zoom
Cons:
f/4 can be a little slow at times

Buy one, you won't regret it. Its incredibly sharp, the bokeh is just wonderful and its a blast to shoot with. Its also not as heavy as its f/2.8 brother.

Jul 19, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add thedigitalbean to your Buddy List
standbyfax

Registered: Jun 4, 2005
Review Date: Jul 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $570.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp wide open and through entire the entire focal length; super fast and quiet focusing; very east to handhold.
Cons:
f/4 is very limiting if shooting sports, particularly indoors; tripod collar not included and is way overpriced

This is a fantastic lens. It is incredibly sharp and the 70-200 range is very useful. I've had it for a while, but have decided to sell it. I really have nothing against the lens, but I shoot a lot of sports and the f/4 just isn't fast enough. If you can get by with the f/4, there's no reason why you shouldn't give this lens a try.

Jul 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add standbyfax to your Buddy List
jazzy17

Registered: Apr 3, 2005
Review Date: Jul 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, price for L glass, picture quality.
Cons:
You will only want 'L' after this lens. None in 6 months.

I had this lens for 6 months and only sold it as I found myself needing faster glass. I used this lenses outdoors for animal pics and open air music festivals.

This lens is great value for money. If you do not need any tele faster than f4 then this is the lens to get - pro or amateur. Great general purpose tele. Compared to other low light tele zooms I have used, this lens is light as a feather. eg. compared to f2.8 EF 70-200 IS or Sigma 70-200 EX. You can walk around all day with this on your camera around your neck and not feel it.

The picture quality is stunning - I looked at my pictures and could not believe that I didn't pay several $$$ for such quality.

Any cons of this lens were minor - the white lens makes you stick out when you are trying to be inconspicous (primes rock there). I agree that the lens being f4 is not a negative thing since Canon never said it was anything else. The hood might seem plain and ugly to people but it does a great job. Tripod collar is not included but as the lens is so light you will find you probably won't need it...ever. Great value for money. Buy this lens with the right expectations and you will not be disappointed.

Jul 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jazzy17 to your Buddy List
canonjoe145

Registered: Apr 5, 2005
Review Date: Jul 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: It's awesome, I must have gotten a good copy, some people say it has some back focusing issues, but mine is dead on.
Cons:

It's really a great lens with a great price. I just recieved it yesterday and can already tell that it's sharper than my 24-70mm, and from what I have taken so far, it definetly deserves the L.

All I need is a 10-22mm and a 60mm Macro and I'll be set. Smile

Jul 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add canonjoe145 to your Buddy List
Lalfer

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Jul 5, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: 0 back focus 3x
Cons:
everything

the worst!

Canon fix this lens...........3x with back focus!

enough is enough!

Jul 5, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lalfer to your Buddy List
Lalfer

Registered: Feb 15, 2005
Review Date: Jul 5, 2005 Recommend? | Price paid: $500.00

Pros: 0..............3 copies with back focus w/20D
Cons:
CANON FIX THIS LENS

Canon needs to fix back focus...........

DO NOT BUT THIS LENS!