Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM

380 818018 Sep 24, 2013
ef70_200_4_1_

High-performance, L-series telephoto zoom lens combining light weight and compactness with an f/4 maximum aperture. Inner focusing and the ring USM enable quick and quiet autofocusing. Also, a circular polarizing filter can be attached and used without difficulty because the front lens element does not rotate during focusing. The tripod collar (sold separately) is the same one used with the EF 300mm f/4L USM.

oldshutterhand

Registered: Jan 24, 2012
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Sep 24, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very nice build quality, saturated colours, nice contrast and sharpness, quick autofocus, nice rings, very good price
Cons:
Vignetting in full frame

This is a very nice lens, with a very good sharpness, contrast and colours, with a good focal length, and quick and almost silent autofocus, one of the best bargain in the Canon line-up.

See in more detail here:

Sep 24, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add oldshutterhand to your Buddy List
rater

Registered: Mar 26, 2013
Review Date: Apr 12, 2013 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, build quality, price.
Cons:
For the price, none.

I bought this one together with a canon extender 1.4 and the combo worked great. Bought it to replace a Sigma 70-300 and it was a great increase in the quality of my photos. Although it is a bit short in a FF camera, on a crop sensor has a nice tele reach for a walk around lens. Size and weight are small, as its price for the quality you get (both build and image quality).

One thing I really appreciated coming from the Sigma was the constant aperture and that the front element does not rotate.

I sold it to finance a 100mm 2.8L macro.

Apr 12, 2013
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rater to your Buddy List
marp001

Registered: Aug 23, 2010
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: Jul 31, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: build quality, sharpness, auto-focus speed, price
Cons:

This is my first "L" lens and I really like it. The images are sharp, the auto focusing is fast. The build quality is superb.
I love the look of the pictures the lens makes, the contrast and the nice bokeh.

I chose this one over the f/2.8 mostly because of the size. It is not very heavy. Also the smaller size is an advantage, if you travel a lot like me.

If you wish, have a look at some pictures taken with this lens in this set on my flickr. all were take with my Canon EOS 7D.

Jul 31, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add marp001 to your Buddy List
Geoarts

Registered: Jun 29, 2012
Review Date: Jul 6, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $499.95 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent image quality, very sharp, excellent focal range, lightweight, superb construction, good price
Cons:

If you’ve wanted Canon “L” quality images without the high price tag here is the lens for you. Excellent professional class construction with superb image quality and sharpness. AF is sure and swift. Of course, no IS but if used with a fast shutter speed or with a monopod the images are quite sharp without a tripod. Excellent value and very affordable used. Highly recommend for all Canon shooters, especially those on a budget.

Jul 6, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Geoarts to your Buddy List
bpham

Registered: Nov 3, 2009
Review Date: Jun 10, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, inexpensive, great built quality, sharpness
Cons:
No IS, but I knew that when I got it.

Had the 70-200 F2.8 before. Great lens, but sooooo heavy that I dreaded using it, so sold it because it was laying in my drawer most of the times. However, this smaller sibling is the opposite of heaviness and the picture quality is sharp even in the corners. The F4 and non-IS do not bother me because I intend to use this lens for mostly landscape and the weight allows me to carry with me on hikes or trips to abroad, and the $$ does not break the bank either. Great lens and I will probably keep this for a long time.

Saw some people complaining about vignette, but now aday that is so easy to fix in post processing so no issue here for me either...just keep in mind that this lens is sharp and light, that is the main draw for me.

Jun 10, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bpham to your Buddy List
nswelton

Registered: Jan 16, 2006
Review Date: Apr 11, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, contrasty, sharp, light, small, portable, affordable, sharp -- did i mention sharp?
Cons:
lacks IS

unbelievable lens. this and its IS brother are the best canon zooms made in my opinion, aside from the 70-200 2.8 mark II. once i used this lens, i was blown away by how sharp the images were. i didn't think zooms were capable of this quality wide open. i used the non IS version briefly, sold it, put my 2.8 on the shelf and reserved it for emergency only, and got the f4 IS. i love the 70-200 f4 series of lenses. they are simply phenomenal. for an outdoor shooter or a travel shooter, you can't beat them. they're easy to carry around all day and won't break your back/neck/camera bag. light, small, portable, and unbelievable optics. enthusiastic thumbs up.

Apr 11, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add nswelton to your Buddy List
jfwalker

Registered: Feb 11, 2012
Review Date: Feb 11, 2012 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $600.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Price, build-quality, sharpness, contrast, weight
Cons:
not and indoor lens (but this isn't a con, simply the right gear for the right job).

I was nervous when buying this lens due to the lack of IS. That being said, I am absolutely delighted with this lens' performance. It is incredibly sharp, has great contrast, and very light. Though IS may be nice (i've owned Nikon lenses with IS), I haven't found myself wanting for it in this lens. The fact is, if you're shooting outdoors or trying to stop action, your shutter-speed needs to be higher than 1/60 and therefore fast enough to stop camera-shake. I can get sharp results with this lens shooting at around 1/100 (but I have decently steady hands). This is a fantastic lens, and for the money there's nothing better.
This isn't a negative, but if you're wanting to shoot indoors the f2.8 is probably necessary.

Feb 11, 2012
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jfwalker to your Buddy List
matej42

Registered: Dec 5, 2011
Review Date: Dec 7, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $750.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: image quality; price; L build quality= excellent; constant f/4; weight is OK given the solid build quality
Cons:
so far none

Dec 7, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add matej42 to your Buddy List
fishyfinger

Registered: Jul 3, 2011
Review Date: Jul 3, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, L glass, very well made.
Cons:
Price?

Hello.
Better explain the price thing, I am one of those people that thinks everything is too much money!
Still, it is worth every penny, this is a really good lens.
I am very pleased with myself for getting it, even though I am now penny-less. Good job I like beans..

I live in Shetland, lucky me, plenty of wildlife to take pics of.
Have a look at the link below, and please tell me what you think of the puffin shot.
It is easy here to get close up to birds like puffins, if you know where to go you are almost falling over them!

Very good lens, it is a very good price, and it helps you take what you see; if you know what I mean.

Tim.

Puffin link;

Jul 3, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add fishyfinger to your Buddy List
Badmonow

Registered: May 30, 2011
Review Date: May 31, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $400.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight price & Lens!
Cons:
Seen an the poor relation compared to the 4 other Canon 'L' 70-200's,

At last an 'L' prime zoom that really warrants the 'L' tag
My previous 'L' zooms have been truly abysmal - [100-400 & 70-200 F2.8 'IS '].
Because of these 2 I've avoided all zooms, and bought 85,135,200 & 400 'L' primes which are all magnificent lenses, I'd never replace the primes, but this nice 'bog standard' 70-200 makes a great walking lens, when I need big lens aperture then IMO you really need a prime.
But sofar as this lens goes - forget the expensive 70-200's and get this and save yourself some money - you won't regret it. NICE ONE CANON !!

May 31, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Badmonow to your Buddy List
dmcharg

Registered: Nov 30, 2003
Review Date: Apr 29, 2011 Recommend? | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Amazing lens for the money, best value all round telephoto by a long way and much cheaper than the IS or 2.8 version.
Cons:
F4 not fast enough for indoors.

I've had this lens for 7 years and its just amazing. It covers a very very useful range and is very sharp and contrasty. Really can't fault this lens. There is a reason canon have multiple lens in this range and thats because its a very useful range. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase this lens again.

Apr 29, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dmcharg to your Buddy List
filmaze

Registered: Nov 18, 2010
Review Date: Apr 1, 2011 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Light, sharp. fast, quiet affordable
Cons:
tripod mount???

The review here in FM doesn't tell a lie all you read here is absolutely true....This is great lens affordable and lightweight...best of all sharp...I can live without IS..just develop a good technique in using this lens with slow shutter speed (a monopod maybe)....great bokeh too...Love this lens and it shall stay with me for many years... Affordable and yes it produce great images...

Apr 1, 2011
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add filmaze to your Buddy List
jasonpatrick

Registered: Jul 8, 2010
Review Date: Oct 21, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $495.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP, Great IQ, great colors, great bokeh
Cons:

This is the only lens, outside of the 50mm 1.8 that I won't get rid of. I've had 3 telephoto lenses. 75-300 which I upgraded to the 55-250, which I upgraded to this lens. I'm not saying I'll never swing for the IS version, or upgrade to the 2.8 version, but I will ALWAYS have a version of the 70-200 in my bag. I've had close to 15 different "walk around" lenses and I'm still not super satisfied with what I'm shooting in that range. For this range, Canon doesn't disappoint.

It's sharp wide open and gets a little sharper stopped down (mostly in the corners). Unless you're using it for landscapes (I don't) the corner sharpness isn't as important. I use a monopod (having a "L" lens isn't magic, you still have to do your part) to get the sharpness I'm looking for. Portraits are amazing, colors are fantastic, Bokeh is pleasing, speed outdoors is acceptable, build quality is second to none, USM is quiet...I love everything about this lens!

Oct 21, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add jasonpatrick to your Buddy List
Marc de Wit

Registered: Apr 3, 2010
Review Date: Jul 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: ALL
Cons:
NONE

Canon's best buy.
Affordable price , great build quality , comfortabel weight ,
great optical quality , sharp at F4 , nice bokeh , hood included.

Jul 23, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Marc de Wit to your Buddy List
Annapurna

Registered: Dec 29, 2004
Review Date: Jul 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very sharp. Good autofocus. Light compared to the 2.8 version
Cons:

I just like this lens. I had the 2.3 verion, which also was very good. But for me a bit too heavy

Jul 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Annapurna to your Buddy List
Dan E

Registered: Mar 23, 2010
Review Date: Mar 23, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $670.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Light Weight, Sharp images, fairly good in low light with higher ISO settings.
Cons:
None whatsoever!!

Owned this lens for 5 months, cannot say anything negative. Sharp images (WOW), extremely fast focus for sports and moving wildlife photography (with correct camera settings). Fairly adequate in lower light situations, within it's limitations. Light enough to carry all day. Value for price - unbeatable. Have no need for IS with this lens.

Mar 23, 2010