Canon Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2

Page:  1 · 2

ThermalXposure

Registered: Apr 11, 2004
Review Date: Sep 1, 2004 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 6

Pros: I wireless system is incredibly versatile.
Cons:
The 550EX does the same job. If you have a 550EX, it's not worth it.

I have a 550ex already. I was considering buying the transmitter and a couple of 420s. Fortunately I had some good advice from several of my firends. The 550EX can do the same job as the transmitter. So, if you already have a 550, why not just spend the money on an extra 420EX instead? You get one more flash, and the 550EX can function as your master. Duh.

It was also impossible to find in any store in Seattle, (yes, I tried Glazer's.)

Sep 1, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ThermalXposure to your Buddy List

Review Date: Aug 17, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $160.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Its wireless!! simple, small, and easy to use
Cons:
cannot use with TTL

Im very lucky to get this in very cheap price in my friendly shop that i always buy from them.

been using it for a while and found its very usefull when im shooting model outdoor, just bring few 550ex and put wherever i want to put. just like bring the studio flash to the outdoor location, the result was very good.

Aug 17, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add  to your Buddy List
dominique E

Registered: Jun 13, 2003
Review Date: Jun 13, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: small
Cons:
the ratio could be setted only for two slave groups (three on 550 ex). each slave set must be set manually (set with master on 550 ex).

I use it with my two canon 550 ex and two sigma 500 super (on eos3 camaras). Really a great think!!!

Jun 13, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dominique E to your Buddy List
dogbyte

Registered: Oct 6, 2002
Review Date: May 25, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A simple and portable solution to getting your flash off the body
Cons:
May not function reliably in very bright sunlight

Just to add the the existing comments about its blind spot. Indoors its pretty straightforward because the signal bounces around the room and is likely to reach the flashgun - rather like infrared and studio monoblocs
Outside there is indeed a blind spot but you can bounce the beam back towards the flashgun simply by holding your palm in front of the STE2

May 25, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add dogbyte to your Buddy List
lziering

Registered: Jan 20, 2003
Review Date: May 25, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $165.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Small, lightweight, easy to use.
Cons:
Signal "footprint" leaves a dead spot behind the camera. Flash ready indicator in the camera only refers to transmitter being ready and not the flash

I like being able to use my 550ex without any wires to the camera. That way I can use a softbox and not trip over the wires and I can move around freely while I hand hold the camera. The transmitter is very small and lightweight and very easy to use. The focusing aid beam is useful, too. It's a whole lot cheaper than solutions like Pocket Wizard.

One real problem with this wireless transmitter is that it has a signal "footprint" (the area where the signal is able to trigger a flash) that has a dead spot to the rear of the transmitter. This is discussed in the manual for the ST-E2 but I didn't really understand it until it caused me a problem on when I was working with a client. The flash wouldn't fire and I had no idea why. If the flash is placed too far behind the transmitter it won't fire. Canon's recommended solution is to either move the flash forward or use the off-shoe cord and face the transmitter backwards. A bit of a hassle, in my opinion.

Other than that I like the little device. And, I finally found a place to use all those 2CR5 batteries I bought on eBay for my EOS-3 that has been sitting in the closet since I got my D60 and 10D.

May 25, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add lziering to your Buddy List
Sven Bernert

Registered: Dec 27, 2002
Review Date: May 24, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $199.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Lightweight and small, easy to setup and use, better connection to the hot shoe than the Canon flashes, battery lasts very long
Cons:
batteries are very expensive

I used it a lot in my D30 times to help the autofocus function properly, today I'm back to its originally function, the wireless control of Canon flashes for which it is an excellent unit. It controls my 550's for indirect lighting and I use it for operating two 420's as a macro setup (as bypass for the wonderful but &$%" expensive MT-24).

The ST-E2 works with 2 CR 5 -S 6V Lithium batteries which are relatively expensive to replace. I'd love to use NiMH Accus like in my other Canon flashes.

Canon are you listening? It shouldn't be a big deal to have this one build in in a future ??D or ?D? body. :-)

One other thing: it works nicely with Sigma's 500 line of flashes.

May 24, 2003
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sven Bernert to your Buddy List
deanchi

Registered: Apr 14, 2003
Review Date: Apr 15, 2003 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $180.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Compact, light weight, doubles as a focus assist module
Cons:
none I can think of

It functions as advertised.

Eventhough it uses IR, I've found that in most indoor situations, direct line of sight is not necessary to operate the remote slaves.

Doubles as an excellent light weight focus assist module.

Apr 15, 2003