Canon Speedlite 380EX

Dimensions/Weight: 75x113.5x103.5mm / 269g

AmbientMike

Registered: Feb 3, 2010
Review Date: Jul 15, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $76.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Inexpensive E ttl flash that works with digital. tough to beat if you only use one flash connected to camera, better than the one I was going to get (220 EX?) High speed flash if you want to use shutter speeds faster than flash sync
Cons:
No manual except full power, needs cord for vertical bounce, no in flash trigger for off camera use

If you only want one flash to be used connected to the camera, it will be tough to beat this flash. Get the cord to take it off camera, about $40, to make it more useful.

No manual controls other than full power. Does not swivel, so you need cord for vertical bounce, so get cord. No in flash off camera trigger.

A lot of shortcomings on this flash but you know I tend to use it and like it. E ttl is great!

I was going to get one, I think it was the 220 EX, and I'm glad the guy at KEH told me about this one.

The high speed flash works with shutter speeds as fast as you want to go. Use 1/1000 and 1/1250 or higher! Lower power on high speed setting, though.

Looks to be about one stop less light than the 580 EX, so plenty of power. GN at 50mm iso 100 is 100 I believe, thinking the 580 is about 140 at 50mm and iso 100 in feet.

With cord, a very good flash.

Jul 15, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add AmbientMike to your Buddy List
Mr_Fastbucks

Registered: Jan 1, 2010
Review Date: Jan 1, 2010 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: zoom head, tilt
Cons:
battery door

Bought with my old Elan IIe and it has outlasted it. The problem with the battery door is that it's loose and pops open at inopportune times. A small, thick rubber band or two should be used to keep it shut. Just purchased a 430EX II and it feels much more solid. I'll keep it for off-camera use and for use with older camera bodies. Now that the 270 is out I would expect this model's desirability to drop.

Jan 1, 2010
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mr_Fastbucks to your Buddy List
silvawispa

Registered: Nov 10, 2008
Review Date: Feb 23, 2009 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Cheap, cheerful, capable.
Cons:

On camera (10D) this flash works. End of story.

The only gripe I have is the lack of manual controls, but if you don't need them or massive watt/seconds, it's a great cheap flash.

About the battery door issue, previously mentioned. Has anyone ever broken one? Or heard of one being broken? or seen one on fleabay with a broken door?

Feb 23, 2009
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add silvawispa to your Buddy List
capitalK

Registered: Apr 25, 2005
Review Date: May 17, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $80.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Dirt cheap on the used market, capable flash does what it's supposed to do. "It is what it is".
Cons:
No swivel, relatively low output, battery door could be built better, lack of FEC controls (though most recent bodies can handle this). Will not work as a slave. Need to buy seperate diffuser.

My first night I had this for a paid job I was indoors in a pitch black hall with a Rebel XT and a Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 shooting in Program mode and it nailed just about every exposure.

The AF-assist beam works great but like every modern Canon flash you have to remember to have the camera in "one-shot" mode.

I picked this flash up used off Craigslist.com for $80 and it has rarely let me down. On my original Digital Rebel body there was no FEC control on either the body or the flash which was a pain, but that could have been remedied by installing the firmware hack on the Rebel.

I have used a 540EX, and this flash doesn't hold a candle to it but for a bargain all-around flash for a modern Canon body this can't be beat.

May 17, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add capitalK to your Buddy List
rjanota

Registered: Sep 17, 2005
Location: Kuwait
Review Date: May 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very nice flash. Great on batteries, small, lightwieght and relatively powerful.
Cons:
Nothing special.

I would highly recommend this flash as its small, very easy on batteries and takes great shots. I used this flash for more than 2 years. And have good results. But StoFen Omni-Bounce is a must for indoor.

May 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add rjanota to your Buddy List
Chrisuk69

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Feb 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Very nice flash. Great on batteries, small and lightwieght.
Cons:
None really.

I have just got this flash and have shot around 80 pictures with it in most situations as a test. The flash handled all very well indeed. OK its not got the swivel facility but hay who really would miss this? I was toying over the idea of getting the 580 but when I tried it and the 380 there was very little in it. So I saved myself 150 pounds.

Feb 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Chrisuk69 to your Buddy List
asams10

Registered: Jul 21, 2005
Review Date: Jul 21, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $99.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Relatively powerful. Sturdy Build Quality. Positive, tight tilt stops. Cheap. AF Assist works great.
Cons:
Well, it's inherint to the design but Swivel would be nice. Autozoom could be faster. Battery door sucks.

Bought this when I replaced all of my Pentax stuff with Nikon Digital and Film equipment. First wanted teh 420EX but was more than satisfied to find the 380 EX. With a StoFen Omni-Bounce, this is as good as a studio strobe for my purposes. While Swivel is a nice feature, the previous flash I had with that feature was rarely swiveled but tilted often. Why pay extra for a minor advantage? I'm cheap, I guess.

Jul 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add asams10 to your Buddy List
migimli

Registered: Feb 16, 2005
Review Date: Feb 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $150.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: gives the correct amount of light for about 99.9% of the time. rechargetime quick.
Cons:
no swivel batterydoor

i have been useing this flash for a long time now.
have used it on an EOS 600.650,50E and now on an 300D (digital rebel) and hasn't let me down! If you'r in need of an sturdy flash this is the best price-performance for an occasional flash...

Feb 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add migimli to your Buddy List
pziasd

Registered: Dec 27, 2004
Review Date: Dec 27, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 8

Pros: This model was intoduced in 1995 and discontinued in 2001 and is compatible with the new E-TTL II on my Elan 7N, recycles quickly with rechargable NiMH batteries, tilt head, auto-focus assist light, auto zoom, power save after 90 seconds.
Cons:
Head doesn't swivel and not compatible with wireless, flimsy battery door.

I bought this flash years ago for an A2 that I had. When I replaced the A2 with the Elan 7N was surprised to find that it's compatible with the new E-TTL II. Great flash even thought its years old. Battery door is weak be careful not to break it, Canon...are you listening??

Dec 27, 2004
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add pziasd to your Buddy List
Unregistered
Review Date: Apr 23, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $149.00 | Rating: 6

Pros: Great as a utility flash. Very responsive. Fast recycling.
Cons:
None, when used according to its design features.

I purchased this flash in late 2001 to use with my Rebel 2000. In most cases the flash worked as it should. The only time I believe I had problems is when I attempted to excede the functional capabilities of the 380EX itself. I do plan on upgrading to either the 420 or the 550EX in the very near future due to the swivel capability thaw would improve my flash shooting with the 300D. Cost at the time of purchase was in line with my budget.

Apr 23, 2004
Edit/Delete Message
vince

Registered: Mar 18, 2002
Review Date: Feb 2, 2004 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $100.00 | Rating: 8

Pros: Decent power and size.
Cons:
Only tilt, no swivel.

I used this flash when I had an Elan-IIe, but have upgraded to the 550EX and other EOS bodies since then. With the Elan-IIe the flash exposures were correct almost all the time, and it did its job with the EOS-3 as well. However I missed the lack of swivel capabilities and relatively low power. I also couldn't use it as a slave with my 550EX, and am now looking at a 420EX. Still, one can a second hand 380EX cheap these days and at these prices it's well worth the money.

Feb 2, 2004