179 404469 Sep 30, 2013
ef70_200_28_1_

One of the finest telephoto zoom lenses in the EF line, comparable to a single focal length lens. It has four UD-glass elements to correct chromatic aberrations. Its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and superb image quality make it one of the most popular professional SLR lenses in the world. Compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x II.

BUroKHUli

Registered: May 8, 2005
Review Date: Oct 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Very fast in focusing. Good looking! Extremely fast in focusing lol ........ Sharp, sharp images.
Cons:
It takes a while trying to adjust to the weight of the lens. When I first used the lens, I didn't notice that it already has focused on my subject because of it's fast & silent focusing. I got over it :)

I love this lens very much. I'm on a tight budget so probably this lens would be my 1st & last "L" lens.

Bought the lens from a friend for PhP60,000 (around $1, 072 @ a 1:56 exchange rate approximately)

I had trouble adjusting to the weight of the lens at first, but soon got the hang of it. It's pretty fast, very fast that when I first tried it on, I never noticed it has focused already. They say the IS version is much better, although I'm pretty much satisfied, make it, VERY VERY IMPRESSED by it's performance.

Sharpness? Just like prime Smile And the BOKEH mmmmmmmmmmm love it Smile

Oct 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add BUroKHUli to your Buddy List
floridapix

Registered: Sep 20, 2005
Review Date: Oct 22, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,099.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack sharp throughout all ranges, comes with tripod collar, case, and hood.
Cons:
Color

I've had this lens for about a month and have shot approximately 1,200 pictures with it on my 20D. The clarity and sharpness of the pictures are absolutely amazing. I was debating between this and the Sigma 70-200 EX APO HSM (DG) lens for about 6 months. I justified spending the extra $250 to "upgrade" to the Canon and not once have I looked back.

IS would have been nice, but I am not a pro and did not have another $500 to get that version.

I do not find the weight of this lens as troublesome as some people say. After handholding for 5 hours outdoors, yes, it can get a little heavy, but by no means is it troublesome. Think of the amount of glass that you are carrying. What are you expecting?

This lens absolutely blows my old EF 55-200 f/4.5-5.6 II lens out of the water. If you've been contemplating a high-quality zoom lens and do not need IS, buy this. You will not regret it.

If this is your first "L" lens, you will be hooked... might I suggest the 17-40 f/4L? :-)

Oct 22, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add floridapix to your Buddy List
hogband

Registered: Apr 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Autofocus speed with USM. 2.8 constant aperature. Ability to take teleconverters.
Cons:
None, other than heavy tripod ring

I had an 80-200 2.8L -- the magic drainpipe -- for eight years and three weeks ago, it stopped locking a focus at 200mm. Canon said they couldn't fix it and I had been looking at a 70-200 for some time. CPS sent me the IS version to use and it was ok...just too darn heavy. I ordered the non IS version and I like it better than the IS.

I absolutely love that lens. I have so many more photos in focus with it than I did with the 80-200 but that was a good lens for what I paid for it used. I have no complaints.

Oct 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add hogband to your Buddy List
Emre

Registered: Sep 9, 2005
Location: Turkey
Review Date: Oct 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros:
Cons:

I haveny bouth this lens yet but Im thinking to buy.
I want to ask you performance of this lens on Eos350D and Eos Elan 7Ne (if it fits on elan film cameras ?)
Finally Im a little confused between this lens and Canon 85 mm 1.2L .
May I use 85mm Lens for lenscapes or its successful only at portraits.I only afford one of them please help Smile

Oct 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Emre to your Buddy List
richardho11

Registered: Jun 9, 2005
Review Date: Oct 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank, TACK SHARP, Nice colors, Internal Zoom, Fast USM!
Cons:
NONE!

This has got the be the sharpest zoom lens that I own!! Infact, this zoom lens is said to be as sharp as primes! I also own the 100-400L and the 24-70L zoom, but this 70-200 is definitely sharper! Nice colors and great build! I mainly bought this lens to shoot indoor sports, activities and shows and it does an outstanding job!!!! This lens is what I call a stellar lens! Its perfect in every way and everyone should have one of these in their bag. I also love the f/2.8 aperture! What can I say? If your looking for the absoulte best zoom in this range, you have no choice but to buy the Canon 70-200mm!

Oct 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add richardho11 to your Buddy List
Mr645

Registered: Jun 7, 2002
Review Date: Oct 10, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,139.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent construction, spot on focusing, optics that rival prime lenses.
Cons:

This is one of the only zooms that let me get away from prime lenses and still capture uncompromised image quality. Every aspect of the lens is top of the line. It does give up a little wide open, but just a stop down from there and were at a level of sharpness, contrast and flare control typically reserved for prime lenses. I shoot it on a 1Ds2

Oct 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mr645 to your Buddy List
ptnik

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Review Date: Oct 6, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: best zoom lens made by any manyfacturer....sharp, fast and built rock solid.
Cons:

I have owned all three versions of Canon's 70-200, this is by far the best image quality and focus speed.

Oct 6, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ptnik to your Buddy List
ivo_marc

Registered: Jun 24, 2005
Review Date: Sep 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, AF (both accuracy and speed), speed, bokeh, almost total absense of CA (yes, there is CA visible, but under extreme circumstances), colors seem very natural. Smooth zoom, smooth manual focus (why would you WANT that???). Build quality, it feels rock-solid.
Cons:
Weight. It is heavy. Price. But you get the very best available. That's worth someting. And frankly: it's not that expensive considering what you get. Other then that, none...

Sharpness redefined. That about says it all. Awesome. Incredible. The thing is, you just have to see it yourself. Optical perfection. The very shallow DOF is amazing when taking portraits at about 100-150mm. Just a few millimeters. And the background blurs so beautifully, the bokeh is buttersmooth.

If you can afford it, Just do it. You won't regret it.

I wish I could rate it '11'. 10+ at least.

Sep 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add ivo_marc to your Buddy List
Big Hands

Registered: Jan 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 7, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, even wide open, great color and contrast. Excellent AF and tracking ability in AI Servo.
Cons:
If I have to cite something, and this is VERY minor, I guess it would be that the tripod ring doesn't open the same way the A/W ring does which allows you to remove the ring with the lens attached to the camera body. If that's the biggest gripe I have, this is a winner!

Of course I wish it cost less and was lighter weight, but outside of 'fantasy world', this is one fantastic lens that has exceded my expectations.

My ratio of keepers to throwaways has increased greatly compared to my 70-200 f/4L which I was very fond of.

It was a tough decision between this and the IS. In the end, it occured to me that I wasn't going to hand hold this light gathering monster for any extended period of time anyways, so I will give the non-IS a good go round before deciding I 'need' IS functionality. The times I have tried hand held shooting in difficult situations, it has come through very well.

No regrets so far. Wonderful lens, highly recommended.

Sep 7, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Big Hands to your Buddy List
Rowdy

Registered: Oct 6, 2004
Review Date: Sep 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,451.50 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, fast, great quality, DOF is smooth. The off-white color and red ring mean business.
Cons:
None found other than the fear of dropping or losing it.

Bought it yesterday from Caseys Cameras in Las Vegas NV.
It's going to work perfect for my needs when shooting cars drifting, drag racing, and for any kind of car shows or photoshoots in the future. (Weekend photo work).

Wish I'd gotten it sooner, if you need something in this focal length buy one of these, you will love it.

Sep 4, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Rowdy to your Buddy List
mschwind

Registered: Sep 1, 2005
Review Date: Sep 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Built like a tank, very sharp, IS allows shooting without tripod in less than optimal conditions
Cons:
Weight, price, size, color

I exchanged my 70-200/4L for this mean machine and all I can say is that I'm very impressed. The 4L is an excellent lens, even moreso considering its size and price, but it is also a sunshine lens. I got the 2.8 in order to be able to use a 2x every once in a while without losing AF and all I can say is that I'm 100% positive that the 2.8L IS is the best lens that I have ever owned...
...now back to the gym ;-)

View profile View recent posts View reviews Add mschwind to your Buddy List
Y_vdm

Registered: May 20, 2005
Review Date: Sep 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast and silent focus, build quality, hood included
Cons:
mounting tripod collar need to unmount the lens, weigth

I looked for a portrait lens for my 20d.

Going to the shop to buy the Sigma ex 70-200 in the new DG version, I asked to try - only try - the Canon NON IS white zoom, because white is to "look at me" and to pricy.

Having this lens in hands and on the camera was so surprising : manual focus with one finger, autofocus fast and silent, results really sharp, bokeh .... so I buy it !

I'm really happy with this lens, as I don't need the IS version. I also bougth the Canon 1.4x II giving various results from acceptable to sharp.

I take away the tripod collar for much acceptable weight, and use it when really needed, because having to unmount the lens. Why doesn't Canon do as Sigma with his 70-200 ex dg articulated collar ?

Based on my experience, I changed my opinion about white lens : it is still affordable and gives outstanding results. White color is most of the time an advantage : photographied peoples gives you more time to catch the moment and other peoples less often comes between you and the subject because they begin to think in reaction on the lens color.

Sep 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Y_vdm to your Buddy List
zeroorone

Registered: Jun 1, 2005
Review Date: Sep 1, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,095.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: smooth bokeh, focuses fast, solidly built, too much to list ...
Cons:
weight (but not a con when you take into account the image quality), hood so large its hard to change filters

I can't add much that other reviewers haven't stated. This is by far my favorite lens. Quality, sharpness, saturation all typical of a white L lens. I expected great lens and got a fantastic lens I don't see myself ever parting with. The bokeh is superb at 2.8. I shoot wide open 50% of the time and don't have any reservations about doing so.

The weight is an issue. If Canon could shave some weight off this lens I wouldn't mind. It makes my 24-70 feel heavy, as I hand hold 75% of the time but I am willing to have sore arms to carry around this awesome glass.

If you can afford it, and this is the focal length your looking for, buy it today! You will not be disappointed.

Sep 1, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add zeroorone to your Buddy List
m3elmo

Registered: Aug 16, 2005
Location: United Arab Emirates
Review Date: Aug 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: VERY sharp. For a Zoom, you'd think it was a 200 prime. Good background blur, very fast autofocus...fastest i've ever used.
Cons:
not a single one

There isn't a single thing wrong with this except I wish i could change it's color to black with a flick of the switch so I can go unnoticed!!! Very sharp, even at 2.8 and the background blur on this thing is to die for. Great for motorsports and sports photography. A tad heavy, but very manageable.

Aug 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add m3elmo to your Buddy List
benpaul67

Registered: May 29, 2005
Review Date: Aug 14, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: UNBELIEVABLY SHARP. More detailed than any other lens I own. Smooth. Best lens, overall, I've ever used. The 400mm f/5.6 may not be sharper.
Cons:
None. Well done Canon.

Aug 14, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add benpaul67 to your Buddy List
Cliffee

Registered: May 19, 2005
Review Date: Aug 4, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,025.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Extremely Sharp. Very fast ACCURATE focusing on m y 20D
Cons:
A little heavy but I already new that before purchasing it.

I'm simply floored at how sharp and crisp the pics this lense produces straight out of the camera all apertures all lenghts. The fucusing is very fast and very accurate something I'm not used to with my Tamron 17-35 and 28-75 f2.8. Now I have to decide which Tamron goes first. I have the fever!!

Aug 4, 2005