179 403787 Sep 30, 2013
ef70_200_28_1_

One of the finest telephoto zoom lenses in the EF line, comparable to a single focal length lens. It has four UD-glass elements to correct chromatic aberrations. Its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and superb image quality make it one of the most popular professional SLR lenses in the world. Compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x II.

forestwan

Registered: Jan 9, 2006
Review Date: Jan 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: sharp fast what do we need else?
Cons:
weight? color? I do not complain.

It is my strongest hand in catching children on streets, it can take the child face out from crowd easily and sharply.
It works for children, of course works well for animal either.
besides it has good perfermance for lanscape, the special compressive feeling, I like.

Most of my PPs in this page are made from this lens.

Jan 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add forestwan to your Buddy List
TrinityR3

Registered: Sep 12, 2003
Review Date: Jan 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,129.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp with accurate, contrasty color. Quiet with fast focus under decent lighting conditions. Built like a tank.
Cons:
Built like a tank. Wish I had IS for the same price.

This lens is everything they say it is.

It's got fast, quiet focus due to the f2.8 aperture and USM.

It has the ability to resolve sharp images with accurate, contrasty color.
And at the telephoto end, the images become even sharper and the bokeh even smoother.

This lens is built like a tank. You can knock this lens into a wall with a small amount of force and not bat an eye (although i wouldn't recommend doing so). It's likely to make even a 20D or 5D body feel cheap in comparisson.

Weight can be an issue. At 2.9lbs, this isn't a lens you'll want to walk around with all day. Especially not indoors where slower shutter speeds are critical. For some, a monopod / tripod is a must with this lens.

That being said, I have no problem hand holding this lens all day in moderate to good lighting conditions. Yes I am tired at the end of the day, but I also have the shots to justify that fatigue.

And to me, in the end, that's all that matters.

Jan 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add TrinityR3 to your Buddy List
Hudspeth

Registered: Nov 8, 2005
Review Date: Dec 31, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This lens is great !!! It's my first step into the world of "L" and I understand why the difference in price.... well worth it. Build it great, not to heavy.
Cons:
I should have saved up another 2 months and got the IS version. None really

Dec 31, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Hudspeth to your Buddy List
mfoto

Registered: Sep 18, 2002
Review Date: Dec 30, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: A solid no fuzz performer
Cons:
Non yet

I finally added the 70-200 2.8L this fall after selling my 70-200 4L. While I have been happy with the 4L the 2.8L is a much better lens. It is sharper and the extra stop adds so much in the form of being able to control DOF and of course makes it possible to shoot at lower ISO.

I also have the 135 2L and the two are close in performance. The 135L still looks that little bit sharper to me but in most shooting situations the 70-200 2.8L adds so much in the form of versatility. I plan to keep both but while I thought I'd never sell the 135L it just may happen one day so that I can pick up an 85L, which I think may compliment the 70-200 better for me. On the long end I think I prefer the zoom for versatility and extra reach... for portraits I would still prefer a prime so we'll see.

When looking at the 70-200s the IS of course was an option but I chose not to get it after trying it out. I find the non-IS sharper and easier to handle.. Perhaps a non-issue for most but I found the IS just that little bit to heavy. While the IS is paramount to some I found it a bit gizmo like and found PQ better for the non-IS.

I've shot sports, some scenic stuff, a concert and much more with the lens and warmly recommend if you need a zoom.

Most of the shots in this Cross Country Skiing gallery were taken with this lens on either a 1D Mark II or 20D:

A couple of other shots here:

Dec 30, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add mfoto to your Buddy List
Mucho Betis

Registered: Dec 23, 2005
Review Date: Dec 23, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely Sharp, fast, contrast, L.
Cons:
Weight

The best L Lens of all.

Dec 23, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Mucho Betis to your Buddy List
painterdood

Registered: Nov 25, 2005
Review Date: Dec 21, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: built like a tank, effortless to use, super sharp, pro lense, does what it should do ...capture exactly what you see in great detail and colour !!
Cons:
none so far...except the cost ..but that was my fault ..I should have shopped around a bit more ..

Just went through a blitz of tests with the 24-105 and decided to return it and wait till the quality goes up and the price comes down on that lense. I had planned on getting a 70-200 F4 but my experience with the f4 24-105 in low light ( not good) left me convinced F2.8 lenses are the way to go.
I took the lense from the shop onto the street and started banging away. The day was rainy and overcast with moments of sun so the lighting was challenging quite a bit of the time.
When I got home and took a peek at what I had ...all I could do was stare..and say "Oh my!!" a whole lot of times.
This lense restores my confidence in L series lenses. It simply rocks..
If you are disatisfied with the lame, soft images your see coming from your present zoom ...run, don't walk, to your nearest camera store ..and get yourself this BAbAy!!! It will live up to the most glowing reports here and elsewhere and pay for itself in a zillion awesome shots...if you are a half way decent photographer..
Oh the extra bonus with this lense -- it will serve as an excercise machine for your upper body and prepare you for the challenges of even heavier glass .....lol.
Finally .. a happy L series camper here.

Dec 21, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add painterdood to your Buddy List
Serf

Registered: Jun 26, 2005
Review Date: Dec 20, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp, fast, flexible, light for the range - a must have.
Cons:
Useful to have a mono or tripod for close-ups as handholding can be a little iffy and may produce some blur in lower lighting.

May be the sharpest lens I own (have other L's and primes).

Dec 20, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Serf to your Buddy List
dphototeam

Registered: May 19, 2005
Review Date: Dec 12, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: picture quality, built, fast USM, internal focussing.
Cons:
NONE for me..

The BEST lens I own so far..
What a combo with my Canon 5D.. GREAT for landscape, and portrait..

Amazing picture quality even at 200mm wide open! GREAT built! Love the range at Full Frame, internal focus, USM is really FAST, Colors are wonderfull, Bokeh ?..mmmmm..YUMMY!

You can check out some landscape and portrait images (with 100% crop samples) shot with Canon EOS 5D at http://www.dphotojournal.com/canon-ef-70-200mm-f28l/

Indeed, it's a perfect lens for me...

Dec 12, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add dphototeam to your Buddy List
Sea Dragon Rex

Registered: Oct 28, 2005
Review Date: Dec 8, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,019.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build and amazing picture quality. Fast AF and beautiful Bokeh. This is what separates the L's from the rest.
Cons:
Maybe could be cheaper but it's definitely worth the money.

I've used this lens for both indoor and outdoor shots with my Rebel XT. Photos of my son's and daughter's soccer games are wonderfully sharp (would have been nice to have a longer lens for some of the shots but this is what I had; recently ordered the 70-300 IS USM). I've also took numerous shots of my children while visiting a local fish hatchery. I was able to take shots that had excellent depth (able to get picture of them feeding the fish) and others that focused on their faces with beautiful bokeh.

Some complain about the weight of the lens but it doesn't feel that heavy to me (I'm used to shooting an old Canon 35mm SLR with FD lenses). At this time I couldn't afford the IS lens so that may be something I'll look into the future but I'm stoked about this lens and can't wait to use it more on future outings.

Dec 8, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Sea Dragon Rex to your Buddy List
Vole

Registered: May 22, 2005
Review Date: Nov 28, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: It's all been said already. Phenomenal value. Perfection in a tube.
Cons:
Gives a false sense that all Canon 'L' zooms are this good. They aren't.

Canon have long since nailed their telephoto Lenses, and this one is no exception. Just don't expect to be getting the same quality from their wider 'L' zooms.

Some say it's heavy. But for what this Lens gives you, it's a lightweight. Easily hand-holdable all day long on a 20d + Grip.

I had the f/4 version. The f/2.8 gives better IQ and the focus is much better and more accurate in low light. I've never had it miss focus yet. Probably another plus of being f/2.8.

Can I not give this an 11 rating? A Lens you'll never want to sell.

Nov 28, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Vole to your Buddy List
JohnR84740

Registered: Dec 30, 2004
Review Date: Nov 26, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: tack sharp ++++ lightning fast AF, beautiful bokeh
Cons:
heavy

This lens is outstanding. It is my preferred lens for both sports and landscape, producing excellent images. It was my first "L" glass, and has convinced me of the enormous difference between consumer and pro level glass.

Using the 2x extender downgrades the image quality considerably (not recomended).

Nov 26, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JohnR84740 to your Buddy List
FCWquest

Registered: May 12, 2005
Review Date: Nov 18, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Tack-sharp at f/2.8, nice size, easily hand-holdable, practically glued to the camera, works great with the 1.4x TC.
Cons:
Hood fits a little bit tight, but other than that, nothing!

The 70-200 is Canon's best zoom lens and is widely distributed throughout the photography world. The zoom is a very useful range and can cover just about any sports or photojournalism events, espcially with the use of the 1.4x TC. The lens is tack-sharp wide open and will continue to become sharper when stopped down. I find that this is the lens that is most often on my camera, it is the workhorse. It's also very compact and light comared to the Canon super-telephotos, just an outstanding lens, great for anyone who is looking to buy a mid range lens.

Nov 18, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add FCWquest to your Buddy List
incdigital

Registered: Aug 2, 2005
Review Date: Nov 16, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $999.99 | Rating: 10

Pros: Workhorse Lens, Build, AF, Sharpness, Bokeh
Cons:
Weight, but thats why i own the F4 version as well

Nov 16, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add incdigital to your Buddy List
thequickad

Registered: Sep 17, 2005
Review Date: Nov 10, 2005 Recommend? no | Price paid: $1,149.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: fast focus, f/2.8, fixed length zoom
Cons:
no IS, heavy

I had tried this lens twice in the past two months (I bought it and sold it). This is a great lens for outdoors and with sufficient light. But I need to take pictures indoors at concerts with no flash and even at f/2.8 and with a Monopod, I am still loosing about 50% of my shots. I have decided to trade-up to an IS model.

If you need to take pictures at night events or indoors, go directly to the IS model.

Nov 10, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add thequickad to your Buddy List
challaday

Registered: Jun 12, 2005
Review Date: Nov 2, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: As sharp as people rave about. Maybe sharper.
Cons:
Heavy. But you knew it that already. There's a lot of metal and glass here. It's still worth it, though.

I have seen many photos taken with this lens via posts here on FM and on pbase. I have read reviews and raves.

It still didn't prepare me for the mind-blowing sharpness and amazing bokeh of this lens. By the time I had seen the first 5 images downloaded off the CF card, I was absolutely in love.

To get me to part with this lens, you will have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers. It is that good.

Nov 2, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add challaday to your Buddy List
Thang

Registered: Jan 25, 2004
Review Date: Oct 27, 2005 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp, sharp, sharp. Built quality is superb. AF is quick and smooth.
Cons:

Again, I was lucky enough to pick this lens up over at Buy and Sell forum. I bought this from the same seller of my Sigma 120-300 2.8. Now it's an even harder decision of which ones to keep since I have the 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 120-300 2.8 and now the 70-200 F/2.8L. They are ALL sharp lenses at wide open. With the Canon's, I see little improvement when stopped down. With the Sigma, the lens performs at its best at f/3.2 and lower.

I may just keep all 3, if the boss let me. Otherwise, I will probably keep the 70-200 2.8L only. :=( Biggest advantage of the f/4L is its light weight and compactness. For the Sigma, it's the useful zoom range at a constant f/stop. For the 2.8L, it's the extra f/stop for OOF background.

With a TC attached, the image quality of the Sigma degrades slightly but not with the Canon's. Taking all these into consideration, I will keep the 70-200 f/2.8L for sure. As for the f/4L and the Sigma 120-300, I need more time to decide.

Decision, decision, decision...

Oct 27, 2005
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Thang to your Buddy List

179 403787 Sep 30, 2013