179 403329 Sep 30, 2013
ef70_200_28_1_

One of the finest telephoto zoom lenses in the EF line, comparable to a single focal length lens. It has four UD-glass elements to correct chromatic aberrations. Its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and superb image quality make it one of the most popular professional SLR lenses in the world. Compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x II.

Collins

Registered: Feb 25, 2005
Review Date: May 2, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Absolutely stunning contrast and color. Legendary bokeh mentioned in reviews is as good as advertised. Wonderfully sharp.
Cons:
I don't own it yet, weight.

I have a confession. Prior to using this lens I could never really fathom the prices of Canon's L lenses. I had been getting buy with solid primes and a boost in saturation and color balance with photoshop.

Now I know why they are priced they way they are.

I was able to use the lens for an extended period last month at a few jobs (a sometime employer lent it to me for use) and I am simply stunned! For the first time, nailing the exposure was all the work I had to do. The sharpness, contrast, color, bokeh all combined for absolutely wonderful images. I had to do absolutely no work to my images once they made it into Bridge. Couldn't believe the difference.

It really shines for portraits and at F/2.8 it pulls your subject off the background at the longer focal lengths.

Needless to say I will be ordering one with due speed.

May 2, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Collins to your Buddy List
ovarzoli

Registered: Jan 7, 2006
Location: Hungary
Review Date: Apr 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, Build quality,
Cons:
Heavy

This is the best objektive I have ever used. A bit expensive but the all objektive is a great miracle.
Very good build quality, excellent image quality, and very confortable using with 1D series.

Apr 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add ovarzoli to your Buddy List
sohet

Registered: Feb 22, 2006
Review Date: Apr 7, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Way cheaper than IS version in my case. Very sharp wide open with a lot of contrast. Fast focussing and slightly lighter than the IS one. I save almost US$620 compared to if I had the IS.
Cons:
No-IS. Cannot shoot below 1/focal length in shutter speed. Heavier than the f4 version.

Very fast focussing. As sharp as the 135 f2L if I do not pixel-peep.Very versatile range. However, I would certainly need to bring along my monopod whenever I use this lens. It's heavy and can be prone to shake after a prolonged shoot, when my arms get tired. It's value for money as I save about US$620 compared to getting the IS one.

Apr 7, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add sohet to your Buddy List
Mike Mahoney

Registered: Mar 8, 2004
Review Date: Mar 30, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp, quick AF, solid build, smooth controls.
Cons:
none really, but if forced to say something I would mention the color (would prefer black)

a magic lens as others have said .. very sharp wide open with a tank like build.

great value, and a bread & butter PJ or sports lens.
cheers,
Mike

Mar 30, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Mike Mahoney to your Buddy List
EvilZardoz

Registered: Mar 16, 2005
Review Date: Mar 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Big, white, a conversation starter. Definitely a pro lens. Sharp wide open. Lightning fast AF. Maximum aperture is plenty fast for low light work or for action, build quality.
Cons:
Heavy, non-discrete, hard to hand-hold for lengths of time, cost.

This lens is big and heavy. I consider this a plus when using it on the 1Ds Mark II - but a con when using it on a 300D or 350D - it feels like the lens mount will be ripped off. It's not easy to hand-held and as such, I prefer the IS version which I have had a higher keeper rate.

Wide open, this thing should be tack sharp. Vignetting is very apparent on a full frame camera when wide open but minimal on a 1.6x crop. AF is lightning fast and is well suited to AI SERVO tracking.

Build quality is faultless. Zoom ring feels a bit weird if you're used to smaller lenses. This lens isn't weather sealed unlike the IS version, though. I've dropped one of these a few years ago and it survived without a scratch, although the lens hood (which I use all the time) took a lot of the impact. Bokeh is wonderful. Contrast is all there. Colours are great. If you can't afford the IS, then this lens is the one for you.

Mar 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add EvilZardoz to your Buddy List
eric_krumm

Registered: Aug 9, 2005
Review Date: Mar 28, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Very well balanced, well placed rings, instant and precise focus.
Cons:

I've only used the lens on a couple shoots so far but it has worked perfectly! The weight is perfectly distributed and it is totally balanced on my 5D w/ grip. Anyone crying about the weight needs to pay attention to what this lens is made of and get over it!

Since I might have to shoot in low light I did get a monopod just in case. The extra $500 didn't make sense for IS when I know it would rarely be needed and especially with the noticable softness that seems to come with it (extra elements).

This is my first L glass and I am really happy with it so far, highly recommended.

Mar 28, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add eric_krumm to your Buddy List
TheAmateur

Registered: Sep 16, 2004
Review Date: Mar 23, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros:
Cons:

Mar 23, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add TheAmateur to your Buddy List
Wirelezzz

Registered: Feb 23, 2006
Review Date: Mar 19, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharp Excellent Color Super Fast !

Mar 19, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Wirelezzz to your Buddy List
Aberdeen Photo

Registered: Mar 9, 2006
Review Date: Mar 9, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent performer, quick autofocus and solid image quality.
Cons:
Hood quality, can I get it sealed; it is an L lens?

Very solid performer and good price perfomance ratio make this my favorite zoom telephoto. Better image quality tham IS version, 2 less elements in this version. It also gives very good results with 1.4 tele. I really enjoy using this lens and while my 200 2.8 gives ever so slightly better results, it cannot become a 70 with the flip of the wrist. Just wish it were sealed and would love a more solid hood. Overall a champ.

Mar 9, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Aberdeen Photo to your Buddy List
Andrei T

Registered: Jan 19, 2006
Review Date: Mar 3, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,500.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: SHARP – right out of the camera! Outstanding build quality! Lightning fast AF. F/2.8!
Cons:
NOT dust/moisture sealed? Cannon – Hello!!???

Yes – all I thought this lens would be is actually true. I won’t go over the things said here in the reviews again – I am simply agreeing that the lens is outstanding!

My only nugget is lack of dust/moisture protection. Canon? This obviously can’t be a reason to give this excellent piece of glass a ‘9’. I love it.

Mar 3, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Andrei T to your Buddy List
seanmclennan

Registered: Feb 16, 2006
Review Date: Feb 16, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF, Sharp, Completely silent, did I mention fast AF?
Cons:
Hate the hood. No dust sealing. I guess I could call it heavy...but that's nitpicking.

My first L lens. It rocks. It is sooooo fast at focusing it's incredible.

I am boggled to why Canon does not have a dust seal on this $1600 lens! The 17-40 has one and it's almost half the price.

I have shot 3 soccer tournaments, 3 hockey tournaments, and everything else from ballet to superbike races. This lens is a professional lens that works to perfection.

I don't know what else to say. If you shoot fast sports...and/or your income depends on your shots...you need a professional lens that performs. This is it. Period.

I do hate the hood though. Took 6 months to *wear* it in so it would mount easily. Before that it was a 5 minute struggle to get it on everytime.

It is heavy. Relatively speaking of course...what do you want for a tack sharp 70-200 constant 2.8 in a metal body?

Feb 16, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add seanmclennan to your Buddy List
Rick Denham

Registered: Nov 24, 2005
Review Date: Feb 14, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything, it's fast, tack sharp and handles like a dream. I love white lense's
Cons:
notta, nuttin, zero zilch

i love this lens, i hate taking it off my camera.

Feb 14, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Rick Denham to your Buddy List
Memphis

Registered: Mar 15, 2004
Review Date: Feb 4, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Stunning, sharp corner to corner on my 5D. Built like a tank and the focus is nice and fast.
Cons:
None as of yet

When I was looking at this lens I had to ask myself, is IS worth the extra cost? After some thought my answer was no, I've been shooting all of this time without IS and my images have been just fine.

This lens is stunning and I'm glad I went with it. So far all of my images have been tac sharp corner to corner on my 5D. If I ever get into a spot where I need IS I use the tri-pod that I carry with me, I would rather use a longer exposure with a smaller f-stop than IS wide open.

Feb 4, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Memphis to your Buddy List
allanyue

Registered: Jan 29, 2006
Review Date: Jan 29, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Crisp pictures, solid build, Super fast AF.
Cons:
A bit heavy.

Great overall lens, crisp pictures, great color, i could go on and on but everyone has said it all. I would recommend this non-IS version rather than the IS version. IMHO IS is over-rated. Save yourself $800 (cdn) and get a mono-pod, better yet learn how to hold your camera.

Cheers!

Jan 29, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add allanyue to your Buddy List
Cookies

Registered: Feb 5, 2005
Review Date: Jan 24, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,125.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Extremely sharp, built like a tank, very fast USM focusing.
Cons:

This is an amazing lens, wow! My copy is equally sharp through the range, f/2.8 up to f/11. It is my sharpest lens. Beating out my 24-70 L. AF is ultra fast with the USM. Color redition is excellent as well. Images taken with this lens just have that certain "pop" to them. Once you see that look, you'll be hooked.

The build quality is awesome. As one review said, this lens is everything they say it is. The price is high but you get your $$$$ worth.

Jan 24, 2006
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Cookies to your Buddy List
LeonD

Registered: Oct 7, 2005
Review Date: Jan 21, 2006 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,490.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: The best lens i own,and possibly the best version of a 70-200 you can get(depending how much you rely on IS/VR).
Cons:
Once in a while,id like it to have IS,but the trade-off isnt only a sharper optic but also about $1,000 less,get a monopod.

My lost loved lens,i got it used for 1,490 Canadian and do not regret it for a second,too bad the original owner kept the carrying case.Like most i always wanted the IS version which is more versatile.But after a few weeks with it i don't miss IS at all,if you have trouble hand holding it a monopod solves it,and saves you lots.
As some mentioned before,this lens measures sharper than the IS version(seems to happen with quite a few comparisons between IS and non-IS lenses,tho the difference is small) and on field tests i find this lens to produce sharper images than my friend's 70-200 2.8 VR nikkor.It is also sharper than the 70-200 F4 i used to have.
USM is super fast like always.Colors and bokeh are awesome.Lens is heavy.Construction is great.Excellent lens for portraits,action,mid range wildlife and even landscapes if you can position yourself far enough.This is the lens i'd pick if i could only keep one.
Cant go wrong with this one,unless you need to have IS.

Jan 21, 2006