179 405130 Sep 30, 2013
ef70_200_28_1_

One of the finest telephoto zoom lenses in the EF line, comparable to a single focal length lens. It has four UD-glass elements to correct chromatic aberrations. Its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and superb image quality make it one of the most popular professional SLR lenses in the world. Compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x II.

Hoan

Registered: Nov 3, 2007
Review Date: Nov 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,080.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: F2.8, sharp even at wide open, great contrast and color
Cons:
Not weather-sealed. Rotation between the lens and the camera (EOS 30d)

This was my second L glass and I love it. Though my EF 24-70 f/2.8 lens does a really good job as an all-purpose lens, I always missed the reach of a tele zoom (for street & portrait photos). I almost put my trigger on the EF 70-200 f/4 L because of its high reputation and its attractive price. However, from the experience with my 24-70 lens (e.g., using wide open most of the time), I know I would need the one stop the EF 70-200 f/2.8 offers. F/2.8 also help the auto focus faster and more accurately as "with f/2.8 and faster lenses, the vertical line-sensitive sensor at the center AF point will also function to attain high-precision focusing" (EOS 30D manual). I'm now quite happy with that decision as the f/2.8 offers me more flexibility (portrait, action sports, landscape etc). In reviewing my pictures taken with this 70-200 lens, it's quite apparent that most of them were taken at f/2.8 or f/3.2. The sharpness is amazing, even at f2.8 all the range. The colors and contrast are incredible. For the weight, I feel no problem at all.

As a picture says thousand words, I have some samples on my website. Here is some shot information. The neutral picture style was used with RAW capture. Auto white balance was used. The Digital Photo Profesional software (DPP) was employed to convert RAW to JPG. In DPP, the sharpness was set to 1 and the exposure was corrected (if necessary). No additional adjustments were made aside from some sharpening after resizing the JPG files in Photoshop.

At f3.2:

At f2.8:

For comparison, here are some shots with the 24-70

Nov 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hoan to your Buddy List
Peter Kotsa

Registered: Nov 1, 2007
Review Date: Nov 1, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $2,200.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp sharp ...didi I say sharp?
Cons:

best zoom lens I have ever had. Sharp from 2.8 up. takes converters very well, even the 2x. I have had 3 copies of this lens over the past 8 years..all have been spot on.

Nov 1, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Peter Kotsa to your Buddy List
suzy l

Registered: Oct 31, 2007
Review Date: Oct 31, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: sharp as a tack
Cons:

have used it so much it is like an extension of my body ever body should own this wonderful item

Oct 31, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add suzy l to your Buddy List
bergie

Registered: Aug 12, 2007
Review Date: Oct 29, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp. Pro build quality.
Cons:
None really, but it is expensive and should still come with IS anyway IMO.

When looking for a sports lens for my son's football games, it was a toss up between this lens and the f/4 IS since they after all, are about the same price.

I decided on this one since I reasoned that I planned to use the 1.4 extender anyway, and losing a stop would make it a f/5.6 which made me nervous.

Well, after a couple of games, I realized I needed to use a higher ISO anyway for proper stopping of action (duh), so although I was able to hand hold all of my shots at f/4 (with 1.4 extender attached), I probably would have been fine with the f/4 IS as well.

I don't regret buying this lens by any means. It is tack sharp as others have attested to. But IS would be nice to have and I don't want to spend another $600 for it, so I may end up getting the f/4 instead.

Here are some recent shots:http://bergquist.smugmug.com/gallery/3722672/1/213599728

Oct 29, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add bergie to your Buddy List
Michael van Ba

Registered: Sep 14, 2007
Review Date: Sep 14, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: So sharp, very nice colors, fast, white
Cons:
Heavy, white, pricedifference for one stop is huge (4.0 to 2.8 for €600)

Bought this lens to replace my 70-200 4 L a year ago, after a long period of being doubtful, to win one stop. And I almost (never) regret it. Only when going on holiday I sometimes struggle with the size and weight and the white color. But when coming back home and viewing the images you´ll forget those ´minor´ things easily. The images are perfect.

A sigma 17-55 2.8 was my standard lens on my 20D but I must admit that the 70-200 2.8 L almost never comes off. It is so much faster, sharper and produces better colors.

Together with the 1.4x converter it suites most of my needs. For some special occasions (Formule 1) I borough a 300 2.8L.

I will never sell this one that's for sure!

Sep 14, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Michael van Ba to your Buddy List
tanglefoot47

Registered: Oct 12, 2004
Review Date: Sep 7, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $960.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Fast AF, well built, great colors and IQ is so great I can't believe it
Cons:
NONE

I just bought this used recently and of all the 70-200's I have owned this is the best. I have owned both IS models which are very nice but this lens I am the most happy with

Sep 7, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add tanglefoot47 to your Buddy List
Steve Krupa

Registered: Aug 16, 2007
Review Date: Aug 16, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,150.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Crisp! Clear! Fast! Awesome pictures! Great construction
Cons:
None / Zero!

I have this and I love it!!!! The crispness and clairity this lens produces is just fantastic! Sure it's expensive, but worth every penny! Out of all the lenses that I've reviewed myself, this one has the highest recommendation!

Aug 16, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steve Krupa to your Buddy List
livin4lax09

Registered: Oct 17, 2005
Review Date: Jul 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Sharp Wide Open, Great Contrast, Smooth Zooming, Fast Aperture, works well with 1.4x TC.
Cons:
200mm is a bit short to shoot field sports, not a strong combo with 2x, heavy to handhold for long periods of time

I got this lens about a year back and have been very satisfied with the results that I have gotten. I primarily use it for field sports or indoor sports, though f/2.8 is still a bit slow to shoot with ambient in the latter case. The images that come from the lens are sharp, and have great contrast. A lot of the time I shoot with a 1.4x teleconverter on it to give me a bit of extra reach for field sports, but the downside is losing that extra bit of light. The teleconverter makes images a little softer, and decreases the color quality, but for the most part is a good addition. The 2x is a whole different story though, as I found the lens hunting for focus too much when paired with this TC. Best leave the 2x for primes. A downside to using this lens with a 1.4x a lot of the time is that when the sun goes down and you need that extra f stop, you lose a lot of range, and 200mm is not enough to shoot field sports. I shoot a lot of lacrosse under the lights, and the 200mm alone is too short, yet the 200mm + 1.4x is too dark. So if you are shooting field sports in dark conditions, you may want to consider saving for a 300 2.8. But nonetheless, this is an amazing lens that every sports shooter should own just because of its versatility and IQ at all focal lengths and apertures.

Jul 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add livin4lax09 to your Buddy List
Sorensiim

Registered: May 30, 2007
Review Date: Jul 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: IQ, sharpness, colors, AF speed. Built like a tank.
Cons:
Makes all my other lenses look bad.

A perfect 10, nothing less. Got this baby used 3 weeks ago, and have been loving it ever since. Colors are great, sharpness is amazing. It makes all my other lenses look bad. A bit heavy, but thats what monopods are for! Took this shot with it: http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=850805387&size=o

If you don't own this lens yet, buy it! If you can't afford it new, get one used! Mine is 7 years old, pretty bashed up but performs flawlessly.

Jul 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Sorensiim to your Buddy List
Dreamliner

Registered: Jul 11, 2007
Location: Greece
Review Date: Jul 11, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness, contrast, bokeh, autofocus speed, robast built.
Cons:
Nothing actually.It's weight and size is average for an 70-200/2,8 lens so it's ok for me. And the price it's right. You cannot have something for nothing...

I had this jewel for a small period a few years ago and sold it in order to finance the -new then- 70-200/2,8 IS. While i was far from being dissapointed with the IS version -it was very versatile actually- there was something missing: the impressive sharpness that the non IS had ! After some testing i found that in every focal length and especially in the 170-200mm zoom area, the IS version i had was significantly less sharp compared to the non IS. Actually, my IS version needed a three f/stop down to almost reach the performance level of the non IS classic ! I repeated the test a few times in order to be sure about the results and took the decission to sold the IS version and buy this masterpiece of lens crafting once again. Because of my background as an editor of a related to photography magazine, i was able to do some more tests with two brand new versions of both lenses and discovered that the non IS version has better centering in general, resulting in more even and higher performance from center to corners in full frame. The center of the image especially is sharper at all focal lengths resulting in better performance with the extenders. I also did some comparissons with three brand new copies of the 70-200 f/4 IS and found my f/2,8 non IS copy to be superior in general, except maybe the absolute center, in which i found the two lenses to be equal with the f/4 giving a more contrasty impression. Finally i did some testing comparing my 70-200/2,8L (at around 180mm) with my 180/3,5L macro and found to my surprise the zoom to be superior ! I also own the EF 400 mm f/5,6L USM and my impression is that the zoom is better -at least- in the middle focal distances having better micro contrast. My opinion is that the only zoom lens in the Canon line up that can challenge the EF 70-200/2,8L in terms of optical performance is the f/4 L without IS which i also tested (2 copies). But having read some other posts here, there's always a possibility to buy a lemon. My only complain -if any- about the f/2,8L, has to do with the extreme corner performance at 70mm in full frame format, which could be a little better.I believe this to be the only weak spot compared to a good copy of the other versions. I hope that this review will help any one of you to make a better choice.

Jul 11, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Dreamliner to your Buddy List
Steven Everitt

Registered: Mar 5, 2007
Review Date: Jul 3, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything really, Speed of AF and Bokeh are fantastic
Cons:
I guess after a while the weight is very noticable but I will just try and work out in the gym a bit more!

I must have read more or less every review on this forum when I was deciding whether to buy either 70-200 or 100-400 and it is with great pleasure I can now sit here and write my own review on the 70-200! I bought it specifically for my recent trip to Tanzania along with a 2x extender. Being 2.8 through out the range meant a constant 5.6 with the extender, a major factor in my choice.

I won’t bore you to much apart from saying that everyone who said it is an excellent lens is right! I am now reviewing over 2000 pictures from my trip and I am over the moon with my results (if I do say so myself). Some of the birds are still a bit far away in the frame and a bit further reach would have been better for them, but that is something for the future. The lens gives perfect mid-range access for me!

If you are unsure - buy it! You won’t be disappointed!

Jul 3, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Steven Everitt to your Buddy List
Lasse Bruhn

Registered: May 30, 2007
Review Date: May 30, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Everything!
Cons:
Bit high price. But, you get what you pay for!!

May 30, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Lasse Bruhn to your Buddy List
petr vokurek

Registered: Apr 16, 2007
Location: Czech Republic
Review Date: May 22, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: iq, build quality, versatility
Cons:

For a long time I thought I did not need this lens- I was using 85 and 135mm primes for my wedding and portrait shooting. Then one day I became a bit lazy and tired of changing lenses all the time and finaly got the 70-200/2,8. One thing I will tell you- I should have had it from the start! The quality is amazing even when comparing to primes ( the 135mm f 2 is better wide open and at 2,8 but not that much and it is not a zoom...) and the versatility it gives me is truly liberating. This lens has the best bokeh I have seen in a zoom- amazing! My standard lens now in combination with the 24-70/2,8 and the 85mm f 1,2. The 85 f1,2 is another fantastic lens I should have had from the start but it is not a rival for the 70-200. They do different things and do them extremely well. Excellent work Canon!

May 22, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add petr vokurek to your Buddy List
Helmetfire

Registered: Oct 7, 2005
Review Date: May 8, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Everything.
Cons:
No longer available in the UK.

This is my first L lens and it is fantastic.
Yes it's heavy(ish), yes it's big(ish), but it is a joy to use.
The IQ and build quality are top notch, and used with a monopod there is no need to spend the extra £/$ for the IS version (which seems to be having a bit of bad press at the moment re IQ). As this lens is no longer widely available here in the UK I got mine from Hong Kong, which was cheaper than the UK price.

Oh, and one other thing...It's white...Nice!

May 8, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Helmetfire to your Buddy List
Santoso

Registered: Apr 23, 2007
Location: Indonesia
Review Date: Apr 23, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $650.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Capture breathtaking picture, sharpness and bokeh is incredible.
Cons:

Yes I would certainly recommend this piece of masterpiece to anyone who enjoy fine arts. I got 70-200 f/4 is in addition to this lens, tried it for two weeks and sold it. IMHO the only thing that beats 70-200 f/2.8 most of the time is 85 f/1.2 L for sharpness and 200 f/1.8 L for its focusing speed. Then again both of them does not have the flexibility of 70-200 zoom.

Apr 23, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Santoso to your Buddy List
Penia Mon

Registered: Feb 17, 2007
Review Date: Apr 15, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,140.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: L Glass, extremely sharp, great results
Cons:
no thus far

I'm an amateur photographer but I can still see what a fine product this is. I wanted a quality 70-200mm for sports, portraits, and walk around capability and this has satiated everyone of those needs.
The reach is far with 1.6 crop factor and you can always get more with a tele converter.
As the ebayers say, "A+++++++"

I would recommend this over the f/4 IS because the bokeh you get with a f/2.8 is beautiful and the IS is only necessary in low light situations where it would still be just as hard to get a clear shot with IS and f/4.

Those are my amateur ramblings, I really love this lens, a mucho pleasure for me

Apr 15, 2007