179 400498 Sep 30, 2013
ef70_200_28_1_

One of the finest telephoto zoom lenses in the EF line, comparable to a single focal length lens. It has four UD-glass elements to correct chromatic aberrations. Its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture and superb image quality make it one of the most popular professional SLR lenses in the world. Compatible with Extender EF 1.4x II and 2x II.

RichNYSME

Registered: Oct 9, 2007
Review Date: Dec 27, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $900.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Excellent IQ, fast focusing, build quality.
Cons:
Weight, didn't notice any IQ difference to my F4 version.

I use my telephotos for auto racing 95% of the time, was using an F4 version of this lens and loved it. Had a chance to buy a 2.8 version on Ebay for a good price and went for it. I sold my F4 and took the 2.8 to the Petit Le Mans race weekend for 4 days, shot about 1400 pics with it and after comparing them to previous pics taken with the F4 version I couldn't justify the higher cost and weight of the 2.8 so I put it back on Ebay and bought another F4! If you need the low light capability of the 2.8 then go for it, otherwise you are lugging around a brick of a lens for no good reason as the F4 version does everything exactly the same.

Dec 27, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add RichNYSME to your Buddy List
skibum5

Registered: Jan 20, 2005
Review Date: Oct 13, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,050.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: quite sharp even wide open at 200mm, pretty resistant to PF and flare
Cons:
not quite as quick to focus as the IS version

better contrast wide open than the IS version
less prone to PF than the IS or the sigma
less prone to flare than the sigma
sharper than the sigma at 200mm f/2.8
nicer colors than the sigma
focuses more accurately than the sigma
doesn't focus quite as well as the IS
better rendering of oof areas than the IS

Oct 13, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add skibum5 to your Buddy List
cdryall

Registered: Mar 19, 2005
Review Date: Sep 8, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,000.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Stunning IQ, great bokeh wide open, beautifully built, worked very well on both APS C and APS H bodies
Cons:
Lack of IS, heavy - unless need for sports then F4 I/S today may be better option

Bought this some two years ago and was immediately pleased with the quality of the images on my 30D. Is heavy though and as one gets older - well lets put it this way IS is a very useful aid. As a result have now sold for IS version.

However as the better application of high ISO through new technology continues to emerge, this lens may experience a resurgence in popularity and find its way back into many photographers hands, especially those young guns keen on sports....

Definitely pretty much a classic.........

Sep 8, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add cdryall to your Buddy List
chuborama

Registered: Jun 18, 2008
Review Date: Jul 24, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $950.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Excellent build quality, addictingly fast AF, f/2.8, noticeably better color, contrast, and sharpness (even wide open!)
Cons:
Expensive, as big and heavy as it looks in the pictures.

I bought mine used, and it's been working fine for the month or so I've had it.

First L lens. Sharp sharp sharp, even at f/2.8!! The colors and contrast are so pleasing to the eye. I took the shots at same aperture, shutter speed, ISO, angle, etc against my 100-300 4.5-5.6 and comparing the images is like comparing night and day. No question you get what you paid for!

Which means that the lens is hefty. It's definitely hand holdable, but I would think a monopod would help with long shoots, especially sports or events, festivals, etc.

Because the lens performs so well natively, when used with my 2x extender image quality and AF still perform very well. I am pleased that I can have both the 2.8 and 400mm if I need it.

Zooming is easy and the lens does not extend while focusing or zooming.

You will want to shoot telephoto for almost everything once you touch this lens, but realize that you'll have to take it off your camera eventually when you want to shoot wider than 70mm :D

Jul 24, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add chuborama to your Buddy List
aladyforty

Registered: Feb 3, 2006
Review Date: May 31, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: sharp contrasty, great DOF beautiful images
Cons:
My hood is a pain but I gather its just this lens

I have had this lens just two weeks but I have to say I love it already. I thought my F4 version was great until I used this lens. I got mine used but its only 6 months old so may as well be new.
I donít miss IS at all. On my 30D this lens seems so well balanced Iím handholding at quite low shutter speeds without much problem. It does start to get heavy after a while but when I see the images I forget that,
The only negative I have is that the hood is a pain, probably just this lens but I find it so hard to get on and off. I had to cut a small piece out of the plastic just to get the thing on and I worry each time I put it on I am going to break it.
I canít seem to handhold it well with the 1X4 TC on, itís as if it is unbalanced on the camera but I doubt that I will matter as I wonít need the TC often anyway.
I still give the lens a 10 as you just canít beat to image quality it produces for a zoom lens.
If you can do without IS this is the lens to get. I have no regrets at all

May 31, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add aladyforty to your Buddy List
JanPhoto

Registered: Feb 27, 2006
Review Date: May 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,699.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Well build, quick focus, supper optics ... CANON CLASSIC ...
Cons:
Do not see any ....

This lens which I have purchased in addition to f4.0 IS, is truly awesome .... the F2.8 plays a big role here since I love shallow dept of field in images plus of course speed increase due to F2.8 ....

@ As far as color reproduction I say SUPER!
@ Sharpness PERFECT!
@ Focusing dam QUICK!
@ Image Stabilization FANTASTIC!

Over all the BEST 70-200mm lens I have ever owned ! Highly RECOMMENDED!

May 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add JanPhoto to your Buddy List
babylonboots

Registered: Jul 23, 2005
Review Date: May 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Smooth zoom, quick focus, great DOF
Cons:

Had my reservations about getting this lens instead of the IS version. However, I've managed to hold this well balanced lens steady. It's rapidly becoming my favorite.

The f/2.8 allows me to control DOF much better than my 100-400. So much in fact, I may end up divesting it. I took test photos at up to 4 seconds, and each was spot on sharp.

I really love this lens! No regrets whatsoever. It's added another dimension to my photography.

May 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add babylonboots to your Buddy List
rgiaco777

Registered: Feb 14, 2008
Review Date: Apr 15, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Build quality, sharpness, contrast, bokeh, focus speed. An all-around gem.
Cons:
None except the clichť "price and weight". No IS. Looks goofy on my tiny Rebel ;)

I'm giddy after splurging on my first L. Upon taking this lens out of the box, I immediately noticed the superb build quality and the smoothness with which the controls operate. The included hood and tripod mount are excellent and both work perfectly.

Image quality is on a league I've never personally achieved before - I never feel the need to bump up sharpness and contrast in Photoshop as opposed to other lenses, and the 70-200's bokeh is as smooth as butter and incredibly pleasing to the eye. I can't comment on how well the lens accepts extenders as I have yet to use one with it.

The ring USM is fast, unnoticeable in all but the most silent of spaces, and it almost never hunts. I found my keeper rate increase drastically, even on the Digital Rebel I frequently mount to this lens (which is known for the worst AF in Canon's current camera line).

I find that the larger size gives the lens more inertia and therefore makes handholding with slower shutter speeds easier than with smaller lenses like the Sigma 70-300mm I used to use. Be prepared for stupid comments from non-photographers with regard to the size of the lens. Removing the hood helps to some extent, but this is still a pro-grade piece of glass and there is no getting around the fact that it is anything but inconspicuous. I'll have to be really careful to make sure that it never gets stolen.

I can't wait to use this lens to its full potential in the upcoming months and years. I mainly shoot sports, so I don't have the need for IS. I'd easily recommend this 70-200 to anyone looking to take their photography to the next level.

Apr 15, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add rgiaco777 to your Buddy List
EOS-1D

Registered: Oct 22, 2005
Review Date: Mar 18, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $800.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Amazingly sharp throughout, build, overall quality.
Cons:
Nothing I've noticed

I just picked this up a week and a half ago and it's everything I'd always heard it was, and more. Phenomenal lens in every respect. I paid $800 for mine, all that was missing was the box and manual. Lens was in almost perfect condition, with one little blemish you'd have to look for. I can't understand why I only paid $800 for it, it's incredible. I had the Sigma 70-200/2.8 that I thought was amazing until I acquired this L. In fairness, the Sigma was an awesome lens, but I didn't have the Canon to compare it to.
The pictures this produces on my 1D have a sharpness and a feel to them I haven't seen before. The colors are so warm and true...
Completely and totally recommended, especially if you can get one at a price comparable to what I paid. It just makes it that much better!

Mar 18, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add EOS-1D to your Buddy List
charliebrown34

Registered: Mar 7, 2008
Review Date: Mar 7, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 10

Pros: Sharpness is amazing even wide open, solid built, fast and reliable AF. This lens will remain in my camera bag for a very long time.
Cons:
Maybe the weight if you use it for a longer time without support of a monopod, tripod or beanbag; there is a bit of movement between the lens and my 30D

My first 70-200mm lens was the 70-200 f/4 L USM, which I thougt was the sharpest thing wide open I've ever seen (I used it virtually just wide open). But this lens beats the f/4 easily at 2.8! As I'm in taking sports and concert pictures I do need the f/2.8 due to poor lighting in the most situations I shoot.

As I'm photoraphing moving objekts (I'm not shooting chess!) I didn't go for the f/4 IS or the f/2.8 IS because I need shutter speed faster than 1/200s anyway - which is handholdable for me in the focal lenght range of this lens. So think about if you really need IS - if not, you can save a lot of money.

If you need f/2.8 and if you can live without IS this is the lens to buy.

Mar 7, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add charliebrown34 to your Buddy List
Devin Hillam

Registered: Nov 8, 2007
Review Date: Jan 30, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: This thing is amazing!
Cons:
Not a thing

This puppy is amazing...I thought I knew sharp until I began cheated on my other lenses with this beauty. Its fast (even on a Rebel Xt) Its even fast on a Rebel Xt with a 1.4tc. Its been on my camera 90% of the time since I bought it. Great for sports, portraits, landscape, and any other thing you can think of! Amazing! L glass rules!

Jan 30, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Devin Hillam to your Buddy List
Joel Kern

Registered: Nov 14, 2007
Review Date: Jan 29, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,100.00 | Rating: 10

Pros: Super sharp zoom lens with no chromatic aberration problems to speak of from 100mm to 200mm. Rock-solid build and a complete joy to use... a MUST-HAVE lens from the Canon stable.
Cons:
Nit-picks: Closest focusing distance could be a little better and chromatic aberration performance at 70mm leaves a little to be desired... but then you'd have a perfect lens.

This is the one lens that will keep me tied to Canon. It's just that good. I've used Nikon a equivalent in the past (80-200 f2.8D two-ring), and while it was a good lens, the Canon runs circles around it. Incredibly fast focusing speed thanks to it's ultrasonic ring motor, incredible sharpness for a zoom and unsurpassed aberration correction for a lens in this range (I suppose the Leica 70-180 APO might be better, but I could never afford one anyway). The best telephoto lens I've ever had the pleasure of using.

Jan 29, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Joel Kern to your Buddy List
Kevin Tallman

Registered: Jan 6, 2008
Review Date: Jan 6, 2008 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated

Pros: Question/advice
Cons:

I am currently in the market for a zoom lens and have narrowed my search down to the canon 70-200 f/2.8, f/4 or the sigma macro 70-200 f/2.8. I shoot mainly portraits and my kids' sports(mostly outdoors). They are young,however, I am thinking to the future. Can I survive with the f/4 or should I bite the bullet and buy the f/2.8. Thank you.

Jan 6, 2008
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add Kevin Tallman to your Buddy List
JackyFong

Registered: Apr 27, 2006
Review Date: Dec 26, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: Not Indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF, Excellent Optics, Nice bokeh, Performs better than my EF 70-210mm f3.5-4.5 USM (which in some reviews similar to an L)
Cons:
A bit heavy and all handhelds 70% turns out shaky (But its just my hands, not the glass)

When I was still a student, this is a lens that I hope to get. No matter how I had saved 3 years ago, the money just could not be accumulated and gave up saving for it. Now, as a working class drawing regular salary, I could finally purchase this amazing piece of glass. To me, it is finally a dream come true. This is my first L, and will not be my last.

Bought as an used copy from one of my closed friends, I was happy of this L. Tested its capabilities in my work place, I was delighted the optics and reputation performed to its best. I am a photographer for my company and I frequently need a long lens for sports and actions, as well as indoor studio works. I am pleased by my copy by its colour and bokeh as well as the weight. I think a monopod would be my next purchase.

Overall, this white L performs better than my EF 70-210mm f3.5-4.5 USM, which some says its comparable to L. My 70-210 now will semi-retire to loan out while this L will be my workhorse.

=)

Dec 26, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Add JackyFong to your Buddy List
Wil Fry

Registered: Nov 19, 2007
Review Date: Nov 19, 2007 Recommend? yes | Price paid: $1,109.00 | Rating: 9

Pros: Fast AF, Sharp images, great bokeh
Cons:
Price, Color (off-white)

I shoot mainly sports, and so purchased this lens -- every other Canon sports shooter seemed to have it, or something even more expensive.

For softball and baseball in the daytime, this lens has superb sharpness, but isn't quite long enough. I find myself using the 2x teleconverter relatively often.

For basketball (indoors) and football (night), f/2.8 isn't quite wide enough at the rural schools where I shoot, so I tend to switch over to the 85mm f/1.8.

I didn't need IS, since that's meant to help with hand-shake, not stopping the blur of a moving athlete. In my tests, IS didn't make a any difference at shutter speeds faster than 1/200, which I need for sports anyway.

The main drawback for me was the price, since the f/4 version of this lens was about $400 less. I'm not sure why one stop should be worth that much money. Another drawback is that I have front-focus and back-focus issues in low light with a distant subject (on the 400D).

Nov 19, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Wil Fry to your Buddy List
Hoan

Registered: Nov 3, 2007
Review Date: Nov 9, 2007 Recommend? | Price paid: $1,080.00

Pros: F2.8, sharp even at wide open, great contrast and color
Cons:
Not weather-sealed. Rotation between the lens and the camera (EOS 30d)

This was my second L glass and I love it. Though my EF 24-70 f/2.8 lens does a really good job as an all-purpose lens, I always missed the reach of a tele zoom (for street & portrait photos). I almost put my trigger on the EF 70-200 f/4 L because of its high reputation and its attractive price. However, from the experience with my 24-70 lens (i.e., using wide open most of the time), I know I would need the one stop the EF 70-200 f/2.8 offers. F/2.8 also help the auto focus faster and more accurately as "with f/2.8 and faster lenses, the vertical line-sensitive sensor at the center AF point will also function to attain high-precision focusing" (EOS 30D manual). I'm now quite happy with that decision as the f/2.8 offers me more flexibility (portrait, action sports, landscape etc). In reviewing my pictures taken with this 70-200 lens, it's quite apparent that most of them were taken at f/2.8 or f/3.2. The sharpness is amazing, even at f/2.8 all the range. The colors and contrast are incredible. For the weight, I feel no problem at all.

As a picture says thousand words, I have some samples on my website. Here is some shot information. The neutral picture style was used with RAW capture. Auto white balance was used. The Digital Photo Profesional software (DPP) was employed to convert RAW to JPG. In DPP, the sharpness was set to 1 and the exposure was corrected (if necessary). No additional adjustments were made aside from some sharpening after resizing the JPG files in Photoshop.

At f/3.2:

At f/2.8:

For comparison, here are some shots with the 24-70

At f/2.8
At f/8

Nov 9, 2007
View profile View recent posts View reviews Visit Homepage Add Hoan to your Buddy List

179 400498 Sep 30, 2013